Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revved

DOOM: Annihilation - the new Doom movie

13 minutes ago, ArchangelOfHell said:

Yeah, I wasn't to impressed with there response's either, crying over something that doesn't suit there idea's. Honestly everyone should just be glad someone wants to turn around redo what Doom was as a movie. So far it stands a really good chance at being way better than the other one. And if its episodic, which is what seems to be the case. Then this is only Knee Deep In the Dead. Deimos is next gents, who knows this may spring off into a trilogy with each one bringing in more demons and eventually the final Doomguy himself.

i mean, i understand where they are coming from... Look at it this way: they announce a new doom movie, you are hyped that they will finally make a badass cinematic adaptation of the 2016 game (something that could barely work) then, you find out that a woman will play the lead role, and then you find out that it will be a straight to video-on-demand movie and then, you see the set photos, where the marines are wearing generic swat gear with no "DOOMguy" in view (although again, Hector Savage kinda looks like the Doomguy though...) Personally, i would've liked a DOOM novel adaptation with DOOMguy and Arlene going through the phobos base and end it when they are sent to hell after going through the portal. Either way, i still hope that the movie will be able to succeed 

True and good point I do understand. Just hoping this works out for the best, plus Tony Giglio for one seems to really want to create a faithful adaption, despite the main difference being about a group of "Marines" vs Doomguy himself. Other than that I just think human beings will always appear strange inside any Doom universe at first because where just use to killing demons in the game with semi to no plot involved. However in a situation like this, a UAC Marine group is sent to a Phobos research facility to search for the cause of a distress signal. This sounds exactly like how a Doom prequel would begin. Also take into account the set photos taken where all shot from overly bright lit angles meaning they could care less about movie contrast details etc. Im sure the final look will be way more ambient/atmospheric/darker plus whatever CGI effects are included which should be plenty.

10 hours ago, gaspard_productions said:

i mean, i understand where they are coming from... Look at it this way: they announce a new doom movie, you are hyped that they will finally make a badass cinematic adaptation of the 2016 game (something that could barely work) then, you find out that a woman will play the lead role, and then you find out that it will be a straight to video-on-demand movie and then, you see the set photos, where the marines are wearing generic swat gear with no "DOOMguy" in view (although again, Hector Savage kinda looks like the Doomguy though...) Personally, i would've liked a DOOM novel adaptation with DOOMguy and Arlene going through the phobos base and end it when they are sent to hell after going through the portal. Either way, i still hope that the movie will be able to succeed 

I totally understand where the fans are coming from, and that’s completely valid.

Personally, I was expecting something like an animated prequel to Doom 2016, in the vein of something directed by Yoshiaki Kawajiri; something along the lines of how Doomguy became the Doomslayer, and his order of Night Sentinels. That’s just one idea, though. 

Hell, both Quake Champions and Wolfenstein already have comic books set in their respective universes, yet Doom gets jack diddly squat. 

I do admit that what we’re getting isn’t what we expected; hell, I’ve seen a similar reaction with the reveal of Black Ops 4.

But in spite of what people are saying and the past credentials of everyone involved, I do have good faith in Tony Giglio and how he’ll be able to pull off a Doom movie.

It may not earn a “fresh” rating on Rotten Tomatoes or win over the critics, but I have a good feeling that this movie will be far more faithful to the source material than the 2005 movie.

In fact, I feel like this movie is going to be the Dredd 2012 to Doom, what the Judge Dredd 1995 movie was with Doom 2005. 

Unfortunately, the negativity on r/Doom has gotten to the point where there’s now a circle-jerking thread complaining about how this new movie doesn’t meet their very specific needs, and how their game of “Angery boi hours vs the demons” are being ruined by “esjaydubbaewes.”

Seriously, if it gets to the point where fans start harassing Amy Manson, Jemma Moore, or Nina Bergman, that is officially where I draw the line. 

Edited by Man of Doom

56 minutes ago, Man of Doom said:

Seriously, if it gets to the point where fans start harassing Amy Manson, Jemma Moore, or Nina Bergman, that is officially where I draw the line. 

As much as I think there should be a Doomguy/Slayer, I hope no one does this.

Oh it is, I'm on twitter seeing some fans writing pretty negative comments directly at the actress's. Saying how there mad about no doomguy same crap. Pretty dam rude. One idea that just came to my mind was the immediate reception on even Doom 2016, how overly negative that was at times. Not to compare the two at all, I'm just saying a part of this community will always hate whatever new doom source material doesn't suite there needs. Then again this is nothing new I suppose.

1 hour ago, ArchangelOfHell said:

Oh it is, I'm on twitter seeing some fans writing pretty negative comments directly at the actress's. Saying how there mad about no doomguy same crap.

That's just retarded, it's not even the actress' fault. I'll never understand some people.

16 hours ago, Man of Doom said:

And for anyone who’s curious, the movie is being talked about more frequently at r/Doom, but the reception there has been surprisingly and overwhelmingly negative. People have actually been making posts (not just comments) just to complain about how much this movie is going to suck so hard, that there’s no Doomguy, and that everyone involved should be drawn and quartered. Stuff like that. 

reddit... bad?? 😳

On 6/5/2018 at 1:53 PM, Man of Doom said:

Apparently, there’s another actress involved with the movie. 

she's a stunt actress

Edited by Lüt : Removed excess quoting

It's the way of the internetz.

If you don't like something it's not enough to say you don't and then find something else to do. You have to make sure nobody else can enjoy it either.

2 hours ago, ArchangelOfHell said:

Oh it is, I'm on twitter seeing some fans writing pretty negative comments directly at the actress's. Saying how there mad about no doomguy same crap. Pretty dam rude.

I’ve been digging around on Twitter, and while I have found some more naysayers, I only managed to find maybe one guy who is hurling insults at Amy Manson. To my knowledge, it hasn’t been as bad on Twitter. 

So I read this will be a direct to video affair. While a good movie is a good movie, it makes me worry about the budget of the movie. Can afford the Doom name... unwilling to or cannot afford to put it into theaters. Maybe this will just be using the Doom name and not the whole monsters thing. Like a prequel with zero monsters. Usually sequels (or reboots) that go direct to video don't have much to them. The actress said the script was better than the original. Usually the direct to video sequels have terrible scripts where they know it would never make it to theater. I'm looking at you (Samantha Darko, Smokin' Aces 2, Tremors 2, Universal Soldier 2 and Scorpion King 2, not to mention the Disney animated sequels).

While we're only seeing behind the scenes things for what I hope is one scene it looks like quite the generic sci-fi action movie... which many criticized the first Doom movie for being.

After having said this all, I'll still give it a fair chance and I do want to watch this or any other officially licensed Doom movie.

Edited by geo

So post-production begins...

…and we have confirmation that the demons are going to be done with practical effects. 

I was simply theorizing that June 10, being a very significant date for the publisher/owners of the DOOM franchise (Bethesda/Zenimax), might become the day we hear some official word about the movie.

@IMX I think that theory could hold some water, as Tony tweeted cryptically a few days about “7 days.” He then threw everyone off the scent when he replied to someone, “not everything has to be work related.” 

Still, it’s very interesting to see. 

Edited by Man of Doom

Last time I checked, the dates when he tweeted that, the "7 days" and the E3 conference don't add up.

Actually, that one seventh day was yesterday.

9 hours ago, IMX said:

Last time I checked, the dates when he tweeted that, the "7 days" and the E3 conference don't add up.

Actually, that one seventh day was yesterday.

Didn't he mean that there were only 7 days left of shooting before he could go back home?

Just now, Gaia74 said:

Only i wait the bfg9000 

off topic, but i gotta get this off my chest: in DOOM 2005, in the french version, when sarge finds the BFG 9000 he literally says, with a terrible french accent "Byg FUHKEEN GUHN" and it feels so out of place and it's hilariously bad. In the french canadian version, sarge rightfully says "un gros putain de fusil" translating to big fucking gun... why am i telling you this already?

bfg.jpg

13 minutes ago, gaspard_productions said:

Didn't he mean that there were only 7 days left of shooting before he could go back home?

off topic, but i gotta get this off my chest: in DOOM 2005, in the french version, when sarge finds the BFG 9000 he literally says, with a terrible french accent "Byg FUHKEEN GUHN" and it feels so out of place and it's hilariously bad. In the french canadian version, sarge rightfully says "un gros putain de fusil" translating to big fucking gun... why am i telling you this already?

bfg.jpg

A curious date

More off-screen antics…

…and apparently, people are now starting to dogpile the actors involved. Supposedly, people got ticked off at that “who needs a Doomguy?” Tweet that Amy Manson posted a while back. 

Just like the people dogpiling the OP in this thread.

Seriously, what’s with all the negativity? The few people that try to be reasonable over at r/Doom and on Twitter, and they’re all on the cusp of getting downvoted to hell.

While there are legitimate concerns that are being expressed in regards to the movie’s production, the posts that do nothing but complain are also getting a bunch of upvotes as well. 

I admit that the Doom movie we’re getting is something that almost nobody expected, but this is just getting ridiculous. 

I'm stoked, just like I was with Doom 2016. I've worked on a few very small video and film projects and it takes all day to accomplish a few very small things. The sheer enormity of putting together a feature length movie is one of those things a lot of people don't think about when they start shitting on it. 

More BTS goofiness. 

Although, I don’t quite get the deal of what that vehicle is supposed to be. Is it a tank, a dropship, an armored vehicle?

Just what exactly is that set of chairs?

10 hours ago, GoatLord said:

I'm stoked, just like I was with Doom 2016. I've worked on a few very small video and film projects and it takes all day to accomplish a few very small things. The sheer enormity of putting together a feature length movie is one of those things a lot of people don't think about when they start shitting on it. 

Well people usually care only about the result, not the process.

You know, maybe perhaps Doomguy or the "Doomslayer" could still appear in this movie (like getting Kane Hodder to play the role...) or rather use this opportunity to present the Doomslayer as more of a villain or antagonist who is equivalent to a Jason Voorhees type slasher figure where there's no humanity behind that mask but a invisible force of nature ripping and tearing everything in it's path and should make sense that a movie such as this one should focus on the human characters to have them more relatable since there's nothing relatable about Doomguy or Doomslayer at all but other than a excuse for a FPS protagonist which maybe it should provide commentary of how much a monster they would actually appear from a outsiders perspective.

Then again at the same time, I fear that this might be another missed opportunity but we'll see...

Behold, the latest from the RUINED FOREVER peanut gallery:

So the tweet below somehow “disrespected” the fans and the source material.

And yes, memes are already being made about it.

So a bunch of whiny manbabies are taking what’s supposed to be something tongue-in-cheek way out of context. Of course I can’t post anything reasonable on r/Doom, as I might get downvoted for the unforgivable sin of “having a different opinion.”

As a result, the harassment of the actors officially begins. Good god, I hope this doesn’t get to the point where someone deletes their social media because of this. 

54 minutes ago, Man of Doom said:

I might get downvoted for the unforgivable sin of “having a different opinion.”

1q1lx4.jpg

Heard that.

Agreed, hope nothing really drastic comes about as a result.

"iM An aNgRy cRyBaBy WhO CaNt tAkE tHe IdEa ThAt DoOmGuY WoN'T bE iN tHe mOvIE!!!!" (Legit 50% of the arguments from the subreddit)

What's disappointing is that people  are ASSuming there won't be a "doomguy equivalent" aka Blazkowicz/The Character from the original series, even though it's heavily likely this movie will be a prequel, and "Doomguy" per sae will be hanging out the front of the hangar listening to his squad kicking the bucking, with Amy Manson just being a bait protagonist. Considering the movie will be a "faithful" adaption of the films (according to Giglio) it's VERY LIKELY a "BJ Blazkowicz Great-Grandson, aka Doomguy aka Doom's Protagonist" will appear in the game, likely as "Hector Savage".

A lot of these people are probably the ones pissed off that the film isn't a rehash of the 2016 reboot, or a one hour version of the Fight Like Hell trailer, even though a movie already exists as a great fucking game, and a prequel to the game would be better off as a game as well.

People need to get their heads out of their arseholes and realise that ASSuming something until AT LEAST a trailer comes out.

To them I say:

The fact that this is some direct to dvd thing, like, I can't even have any strong emotional response to it. Like good for them for making a movie and releasing it. I hope they actually like and play DOOM. It seems like a big wacky fan fiction thing that just got out of hand and some one gave them some money lol.

It's really irking me how many "loyal" members of the community are shitting all over the movie. The cast and crew really look like they're taking it seriously and it's shaping up to be a far better adaptation than the '05 version. Gah, you just can't please some people. I'm just happy there's another movie.

18 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

It's really irking me how many "loyal" members of the community are shitting all over the movie. The cast and crew really look like they're taking it seriously and it's shaping up to be a far better adaptation than the '05 version. Gah, you just can't please some people. I'm just happy there's another movie.

Some people can never be pleased no matter what you do.