Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revved

DOOM: Annihilation - the new Doom movie

Not only it settles it, it basically puts the conversation about the movie to sleep (unless something about it leaks on the internet, which is unlikely for a straight-to-video film).

At least we have the guarantee that the next year where we will celebrate the 25th will be stacked.

45 minutes ago, Soundblock said:

In so far as there are _any_ women in the Doom universe (wow - maybe there aren't?)

Not sure if this counts, but from Doom 2 RPG:

rpg1.png.992402cca77ac80fbdf4b041ca874185.png

rpg2.png.3c31e1c6c488f0286705c0c7d912c09b.png

2 hours ago, Soundblock said:

In so far as there are _any_ women in the Doom universe (wow - maybe there aren't?)

The Mancubus in Doom 3 is female. Judging by the conspicuous bra, apparently she's still a female in Doom 2016.

10 hours ago, Knee Deep In The Fan said:

I still would like to see a movie poster released.

Most, probably all Universal 1440 movies have posters.

10 hours ago, Revenant100 said:

The Mancubus in Doom 3 is female. Judging by the conspicuous bra, apparently she's still a female in Doom 2016.

Marphy

30 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

There's also that visibly buxom redhead with the glasses in Doom 3.

[pushes up glasses]

Well ACTUALLY you mean the visibly buxomed redhead with the glasses from Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil. The only girl in Doom 3 is the blond girl who died and becomes a lost soul.

Very skeptical about the whole thing, I just hope they stay true to the game in some ways. Like settings and tone, I just want them to make it feel like Doom! OldId or NewId.

So not only has more stuff cropped up, the movie’s Twitter profile got updated to match up info we’ve gotten so far (and there’s apparently an Instagram account now). 

EDIT: We also now know that Amy Manson’s character is named Joan Dark. 

It's 2 letters away from making this an unofficial 'perfect' crossover with another franchise

sorry i couldn't resist

For those not getting the joke, it's a reference to Joanna Dark, from Perfect Dark. Hence the 'perfect' joke. A damn good N64 shooter, might I add.

51DHT2SS80L._SX466_.jpg

ACKSHAULLY it's a stylized Anglicization of Joan of Arc/Jeanne d'Arc, the French warrior-saint. PD's Joanna was named this way, most likely the Doom movie's Joan was named similarly. 

17 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

ACKSHAULLY it's a stylized Anglicization of Joan of Arc/Jeanne d'Arc, the French warrior-saint. PD's Joanna was named this way, most likely the Doom movie's Joan was named similarly. 

That's what I was gonna add. I doubt it's a Perfect Dark reference, it's much more likely a real-life reference to Joan of Ark. Nonetheless it's a sick name for a character. 

If Doomslayer is in the movie, it makes me think like he's a cameo at the end to save the day. Like we're seeing the story of the sidekicks or nameless people that Doomguy saves in Doom 3 that he himself doesn't care about. Maybe these protagonists are the ones that wake up the Doomslayer to start Doom 4... but as he wakes up, the protagonists die or get rescued before he's fully awake. Like how the Rock was in the Mummy 2... for like 2 - 5 minutes.

I think all the behind the scenes are killing the movie for me, but if they have another 6+ months of editing, they can build it back up again. I don't feel like I've seen the cool factor or anything that will make this movie be different from the last movie other than a less famous cast and smaller budget.

Edited by geo

On 6/16/2018 at 5:41 AM, Black_Sesame said:

First Doom movie was horrible. I'm almost certain that this one with follow its tracks in that regard.

I keep hearing this, but I'd like some examples of game-to-movie adaptations that were as good as or better than the Doom movie from 2005?

I guess I haven't watched that many game-to-movie films, but oddly, Doom is actually near the top, despite being (what I would consider) a middle of the road action sci-fi flick.

The scale sorta goes like this:

the Super Mario movie: Unwatachable dogshit

the Street Fighter movie: Unwatchable dogshit

the Double Dragon movie: Unwatchable dogshit

the Mortal Kombat movie: Watchable, but still dogshit

the DOOM movie: A middle of the road action sci-fi film

the Resident Evil movie (the first one, never watched the sequels): Another half-decent action flick

That's every game-based movie I've ever watched, but Doom was one of the best. Which isn't saying much, admittedly. I know this is only kinda-sorta on topic but I'd like to know about all these other supposedly great game-based films that make Doom look like unwatchable shit by comparison. I hope they exist. If not, people were definitely expecting way too much out of it.

^

Watch Silent Hill if you haven't dude, that's my pick of the category anyway, though I also enjoyed Resident Evil & Mortal Kombat at the time of release. Never played Silent Hill mind you, so I didn't have any source material to measure it up against. Maybe that helped. 

I've not seen it but I hear the Warcraft movie is "really good".  Perhaps that one helps break the trend.

1 hour ago, Soundblock said:

^

Watch Silent Hill if you haven't dude, that's my pick of the category anyway, though I also enjoyed Resident Evil & Mortal Kombat at the time of release. Never played Silent Hill mind you, so I didn't have any source material to measure it up against. Maybe that helped. 

The movie is bad tbh but the atmosphere is amazing!Whereas the sequeli s unwatchable guano :(

6 hours ago, Rifle Infantry said:

I would usually share that worry, but for fuck's sake it's Doom. There's no way politics or TDS meltdowns can get into a Doom movie, and I will eat a real chainsaw if I'm wrong about that.

There are many ways this movie could become a shit show but I'm confident that won't include marines screaming "FuCk DeMoN TrUmP".

What if the movie is fighting for the imp race's right to live among us? Not as Hell factory workers, but having white collar jobs like doctors and lawyers. Then halfway through the movie they succeed... but 10 years later one of them becomes the greatest lawyer / pop singer in the world and takes up a fight against chainsaws to have them banned as illegal assault weapons that had been cutting down his impinoid race for generations! Oh and the protagonists work as security guards defending the imps through all this and Doomguy has been imprisoned for his imp murder spree.