DOOM: Annihilation - the new Doom movie

3 hours ago, Doomkid said:

The scale sorta goes like this:

the Super Mario movie: Unwatachable dogshit

the Street Fighter movie: Unwatchable dogshit

the Double Dragon movie: Unwatchable dogshit

the Mortal Kombat movie: Watchable, but still dogshit

the DOOM movie: A middle of the road action sci-fi film

the Resident Evil movie (the first one, never watched the sequels): Another half-decent action flick 

Well, I liked Mortal Kombat 1 and thought the sequel was unwatchable dogshit. There was also that Mario anime film from 1986 that was actually pretty good up until the end.

I loved the first Mortal Kombat and rewatching it 25 years later is hilariously 90s. The sequel is and will always be terrible. Laughably terrible. I think the director even realized that when he couldn't get the special effects budget. The first season of the web series was great, even if it had varying quality.

I never cared for the Resident Evil movies with the exception of one. The Mad Max desert one. It's like the movies always went for cool factor. It would always piss me off that the movies would build to a cliffhanger. After all is said, they're more watchable than the Underworld series.

As for the other video game movies, they are in their own little, ,interesting worlds that exist outside of normal movies and reality.

Never seen the Uwe Bowl movies, but I have standards. I own Alone in the Dark and I fall asleep every time I watch it. Oh Jeebus there's a sequel.

A Doom movie where the protagaonist isn't Doom Guy. Wow, a must watch indeed!

They're gonna pull off the dumb shit they've pulled off from the last one, I gurantee it. Fucking 'Mars DNA that only infects the bad guys', miss me with that shit.

It's really not that hard to make a Doom movie - main character is the Doom Guy, there's lots of gore and you could explore his past or something before the shit hit the fan, but no, that would make too much sense. Instead, let's make a generic sci-fi movie and slap the Doom title ontop of it and our job's done.

On 4/29/2018 at 3:47 PM, hardcore_gamer said:

To be honest I think they already fucked up the Doom marine with Doom 2016 by making him an alien. It's easily the worst part about the game. I can't stand it how new developers (or in case of film, directors/writers) feel the need to shit all over old cannon in order to create a new version they think is better. It's ruining so many franchises.

There are even rumors of a new star wars trilogy that won't take place in the old star wars galaxy but a completely different one entirely, in which case why the fuck even call it star wars?

Spoiler

"Without doubt, UAC's most remarkable recent discovery was uncovered in its expedition to Hell's Kadingir Sanctum. After several kilometers through nearly impassable terrain, the team discovered a sealed tomb - its entrance and walls covered in protective runes and imprisonment incantations. Once opened, the tomb revealed many artifacts including the Praetor suit. Most notable, however, was an enormous sarcophagus bound to the center bedrock of the tomb with thick iron bands - seemingly anchored to prevent anything from getting in or out.

It was initially believed this sarcophagus must hold a rare or powerful demon, but when later opened, it revealed the body of a man. The body was not petrified or decomposed - in fact, he appeared to be only sleeping despite the fact that the bed he lay in seemed millennia old. Attempts to wake the man were fruitless - and to harm him even more so - as a protective Argent barrier around the body kept him safe from harm in permanent stasis.

UAC archivists cataloged the discovery DM1-5, but project personnel had soon dubbed him the "DOOM Marine". While the history of this man remains conjecture, the Helix Stone, as well as other artifacts found at the Argent Fracture and during the Hell Expedition of ECm13, have shed some light on his identity. An etching in the book Daeva (another discovery of the Kadingir expedition), depicts the DOOM Marine wearing the Praetor suit, engaging demons in battle as a hooded figure looks on. This image had been previously observed numerous times in other artifacts, but only with the actual discovery of the DOOM Marine and Praetor suit in the sealed Kadingir tomb have researchers begun to put other pieces together. It is now believed the DOOM Marine might have been part of an ancient group or tribe, maybe even their leader. Whether he is god, demon or human will remain undetermined until the Argent barrier protecting his body can be deactivated. Further deepening the mystery of his origin, UAC remote monitoring drones in service during the Kadingir Expedition recorded a protracted and deadly battle during the sarcophagus extraction -- the demons attempting to defend the tomb with an instinctual ferocity previously unobserved.

Once tethered and returned to the UAC, the sarcophagus was studied and first opened at the Lazarus Labs, but went missing a few weeks later. It was believed that Samuel Hayden had the body and Praetor suit moved and hidden to keep it secure, although why he considered it to be under threat is unknown.

Of final note; to date, the DOOM Marine and Samuel Hayden are the only known non-demon entities to successfully cross over from the Hell dimension to our own, despite several attempts by other UAC human personnel to do the same."

Codex entry 7VPMJ2IQ.

12 minutes ago, BLλZING_DUST said:

They're gonna pull off the dumb shit they've pulled off from the last one, I gurantee it. Fucking 'Mars DNA that only infects the bad guys', miss me with that shit.

They literally said the movie is going to have demons in it.

I wonder what the story itself will be about the movie since doom does not have much to say

3 hours ago, Novaseer said:
  Hide contents

UAC archivists cataloged the discovery DM1-5, but project personnel had soon dubbed him the "DOOM Marine".

Codex entry 7VPMJ2IQ.

Just passing by with a thought after reading this, which is about DM1-5 catalog entry. It just occurred to me that it could be an indicator of all DOOM games as in DOOM, DOOM2, DOOM3, DOOM2016 and DOOM Eternal? Might be far fetched but there it is :D

1 hour ago, Kristian Nebula said:

Just passing by with a thought after reading this, which is about DM1-5 catalog entry. It just occurred to me that it could be an indicator of all DOOM games as in DOOM, DOOM2, DOOM3, DOOM2016 and DOOM Eternal? Might be far fetched but there it is :D

It was probably selected because when you say "D-M-1-to-5" it sounds a tiny bit like "Doom Marine"

Looks like we're going to get another reference to an id software dev: an actress named Lorina Kamburova has been billed in the movie to play a character named Sandy Peterson.

I am not gonna lie, it's definitely a nice nod, but I mean...I hope we don't get a new influx of "Sandy Peterson"s when they want to refer to the id software mapper Sandy Petersen. We have enough people misspelling his name already!

Any news on this? Seems like because is not released on theaters is not getting any promotion, but as a Doom fan i surely want to watch it, i just dont hope for it to be good. For starters, the right Doom movie has to be 100% in first person all the way, like Hardcore Henry. Warcraft is the only non-awful video game movie made so far.

5 hours ago, D88M said:

Any news on this? Seems like because is not released on theaters is not getting any promotion, but as a Doom fan i surely want to watch it, i just dont hope for it to be good. For starters, the right Doom movie has to be 100% in first person all the way, like Hardcore Henry. Warcraft is the only non-awful video game movie made so far.

movies and video games are different mediums, having it fully in first person would be like watching a let's play... 

On 7/21/2018 at 9:57 AM, Michniko said:

I hope she's right.

4bdc55fe64a3365a2f5f4ca9a79fe9a4.png

Tony Gig?

... 4 + 3 = 7. Last name has 2 of the same letter. 4 letter name has an O in the 2nd place.

Uwe Boll...

3 + 4 = 7 letters! Last name has 2 of the same letter. 4 letter name has an O in the 2nd place!

* head explodes hands keep typing *

20 hours ago, gaspard_productions said:

movies and video games are different mediums, having it fully in first person would be like watching a let's play... 

I dont know, it worked for Hardcore Henry, and i dont mind it at all, i also like found footage horror movies and most of the time those are like watching someone playing a fps, i think is neccesary for the story to be in first person, i mean, we all know that was the best moment of the Doom movie

1 hour ago, D88M said:

I dont know, it worked for Hardcore Henry, and i dont mind it at all, i also like found footage horror movies and most of the time those are like watching someone playing a fps, i think is neccesary for the story to be in first person, i mean, we all know that was the best moment of the Doom movie

yeah, it was the best moment, because the rest of the movie felt like resident evil! and even then, the scene also had a purpose story-wise, show off the new "powers" of Reaper through his perspective to see how he can now take down the infected easily, it would've still worked if it was shot differently, but having an homage to the game felt right. Furthermore, because it was only 5 minutes, it had an impact and it felt special, a diamond in the rough. but if it was 40 minutes long, it would've overstayed its welcome and become a gimmick with awkward storytelling (like hardcore henry imo)

On 7/17/2018 at 12:47 PM, Soundblock said:

Watch Silent Hill if you haven't dude, that's my pick of the category anyway, though I also enjoyed Resident Evil & Mortal Kombat at the time of release. Never played Silent Hill mind you, so I didn't have any source material to measure it up against. Maybe that helped.  

Silent Hill starts out fantastic, the first dimension transition is bone-chilling and wonderfully long. However the second half of the movie is poorly handled and falls into cheese territory. The cultists are just so cartoonishly evil and Salem-ish in spite of what's clearly an apocalyptic retribution for their sins. The movie actually manages to lose the mystique of Silent Hill, which is pretty unforgivable. The city is supposed to reflect inner demons of the poor souls that wander into it, which makes the monsters all the more scary, but neither of the main heroines has character flaws, they're just scream-machines discovering "the shocking dark side" of the citizens.

The iconic pyramid head was completely wasted in the movie. He's not just an unstoppable, invincible killer, in the second game he represents the rapey side of the protagonist, suggesting our hero may have done bad things to his ailing wife. Pyramid is a very "targeted" avatar of punishment, but since all of the monsters are Alessa's punishment on the entire city for her rape & torture already, he's just there to cross a box on the homage list. And I'm not saying they should've used Sean Bean as a vessel for justifying Pyramid Head (actually I am saying that), but they should've done at least something with Sean Bean. He doesn't even die, for crying out loud!!!

15 hours ago, D88M said:

As a sidenote, Hardcore Henry was a great movie but for the first time ever I got some motion-sickness type of thingy while watching it... So weird! :D

47 minutes ago, Soundblock said:

...it better be a womyn

Shh don't say that, The 4chan threads will go crazy. And I'm not talking about the angry kind of crazy.

Ok, it’s been quite a while since we last heard of any official news (aside from maybe a couple of production shots from the movie’s official social media accounts), but we did get some more insight into how the demons will appear in the movie, according to Tony:

This pretty much confirms that due to budget issues, the Spider Mastermind is a demon that won’t appear in this movie. Perhaps that CGI-enhanced demon will turn out to be the Cyberdemon?

On a side note, IMX recently mentioned that he did some deep digging into the development of the movie, and found things that weren’t meant to be seen. As in, full-on character spoilers (no, I haven’t seen them nor do I desire to see them). 

I actually had this dream recently about a Doom movie, it was animated just like that film "Heavy Metal" from 1981 (I thought I was watching some unreleased story from the film) with the art being a lot like the original game cover.  It had me thinking, you could do a lot more with animation and CGI than with real people and it might even be preferable for such a high maintenance and involved franchise like Doom.

Doom movie is on Netflix. First time I've seen it in a decade. It was cheese and camp and bad. A budget movie that probably paid a lot of money for one or two of the actors. Even the music sounded 90s generic. A lot of the movie doesn't show the top of the actors heads. I see that in a lot of budget sci-fi. I assume they don't have the budget for a ceiling or the top half of a set.

It made me look forward to whatever this crew makes with their own Doom movie.

... wait this director's name is Tony Gigilo?

Edited by geo