Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revved

DOOM: Annihilation - the new Doom movie

Not expecting anything out of the new one to be honest.  There's only been one good Doom movie and it's called Event Horizon.

Just came across this thread, didn't know there was already a new Doom movie in production. Looks like it might be alright, but I'll reserve my judgement until I see a trailer.

If I were in charge of making a new Doom movie, I think I'd consider Guillermo del Toro as a good choice for director. Then again perhaps he'd be too good a choice. :P

"Aliens" is the most Doom-ish movie out there at the moment. I would like to have another go at some nice Doom action movie with lots of Mars and Hell mixed up. Actually, to this day, this whole "Hell" and "Mars" Setting is quite unique, imho.

So the official IMDB page is up here: https://m.imdb.com/title/tt8328716/

Look at your own risk at it might contain spoilers. As for the spoilers (albeit not story related for now), they’re a mix between good news and bad news:

Spoiler

Good news: According to the casting info, it’s more or less confirmed that the Cyberdemon will be making an appearance (and might in fact be the CGI-enhanced demon).

Additionally, there’s another listing for an actor that simply says “Demon.” Perhaps this could be either a Pinky or some other unspecified demon?

Bad news: The producers from Doom 2005 appear to be back. (If you’re not in the know, there were apparently producers for the original movie who hated anything having to do with demons and forced the movie to excise any mentions of a proper Hell dimension and forced the creatures to be genetically-enhanced mutants.) That being said, the director has done his best to reassure us that the monsters in this new movie will in fact have proper demons from Hell.

Since the movie hasn’t even been given a proper trailer as of yet, nothing is final and set in stone. 

bahahaha 

If I were you, don't ever trust IMDB, it's basically the movie version of Wikipedia, except you have to be a registered user, doesn't mean idiots won't come in, and add false information.

7 hours ago, elend said:

"Aliens" is the most Doom-ish movie out there at the moment. I would like to have another go at some nice Doom action movie with lots of Mars and Hell mixed up. Actually, to this day, this whole "Hell" and "Mars" Setting is quite unique, imho.

Not to belabor the point, but you *have* see Event Horizon, yes?  It's literally the plot of Doom.  (and IDGAF what reviews say, it's a fantastic movie)

Teleportation device invented that sends the ship to Hell. 

Oh yes, Event Horizon I have seen. Not bad at all. Is there similar stuff like this out there?

On 10/22/2018 at 5:37 AM, elend said:

Oh yes, Event Horizon I have seen. Not bad at all. Is there similar stuff like this out there?

Not that I'm aware of- not anything good anyway.

The original Hellraiser has some issues (characters lacking depth, and the established rules of the universe being fuzzy), but it's delightfully morose and has a definite Doom vibe.

23 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

The original Hellraiser has some issues (characters lacking depth, and the established rules of the universe being fuzzy), but it's delightfully morose and has a definite Doom vibe.

Speaking of Hellraiser, the Engineer was the inspiration behind the design of the Pinky.

Spoiler

engineer.jpg

On 10/23/2018 at 4:18 PM, Ex Oblivione said:

Speaking of Hellraiser, the Engineer was the inspiration behind the design of the Pinky.

Hide contents

Shit, they do look similar! Info source?

Carpenter's The Thing has a great possession/monster vibe going on, but it's not really theological hell or anythihng. One of my all time fave horror or sci-fi's anyway.

Maybe it will be better than the last one, and maybe it won't. Women can wield guns and shoot things in movies too. Why is this a bug deal? Doom Person is a very deep and complex character with hopes and dreams for a future without Demons. 

So this was posted on Vimeo a while ago but i figured some people here might want to see this so here it is. it's a audition tape for the character Koji played by Akie Kotabe in the new film ( actor and/or character may not be in final edit of movie also spoilers)

Overall it looks like this new doom film will be much closer to the games the last one for sure. if you have seen the video what do you gus think

Edited by NBH : made a few mistakes

Very interesting to see! Although, I feel that for posterity’s sake, a mirror of that video will have to be uploaded someplace where it may not be easily found (since we could be getting into possibly spoilers). 

On a side note, I’d take this information with a grain of salt, but the IMDB page has now listed the movie’s release date as May 17, 2019 (I think, I know it’s the same date as John Wick 3). 

Edited by Man of Doom

Have to admit, the writing on the script of that video isn't bad, it's got a good flow, and Akie isn't a bad actor, but the issue I'm seeing is that too much lore and exposition might be dumped. Knowing Doom fans, exposition, story and lore don't matter unless it's an optional codex entry, and I could see many getting the shits that there's "too much" expositionary dialogue and not enough demon-killing.

Another thing as well I wouldn't be too surprised if a Doom 3 route is going to be taken, with bait & switch, being that we think the teleportation, and shit in Sumeria is demon technology only to have it revealed that some alien race (I guess the Anunnaki) fought hell in some big war on Earth after the teleportation gone awry as a universe explanation for both the aforementioned shit, and an in-universe explanation for the 7 years plague in the bible, the collapse of the Sumerian civilisation, etc 

The director mentioned that the movie is based on the original game, which is interesting considering it has the least amount of story. It makes one wonder how the script will interpret the invasion, the "gates" (teleportation system gone awry), the demons and their origin, etc. This audition looks promising, though, it's good that the subject is being taken seriously. I hope there's a bit of humor though. Doom has its own brand of humor: the Commander Keens, Romero's head, Daisy, the BFG's acronym, some of the messages (such as when you pick up a chainsaw), the fact that you can kill your self during the "cast call" at the end of Doom 2, etc. It would be nice to see some of this goofiness translate to the movie.

23 hours ago, XLightningStormL said:

story and lore don't matter unless it's an optional codex entry

Given the context of a movie like this, its likely that it will literally be a big codex entry unto itself.

Not sure what Even Horizon has in common with Doom other than taking place in space (which Doom technically doesn't even do) and featuring a hell that you barely even see anyway.

19 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Not sure what Even Horizon has in common with Doom other than taking place in space (which Doom technically doesn't even do) and featuring a hell that you barely even see anyway.

* Takes place on gigantic ship that might as well be a techbase

* Teleportation technology gone wrong- opens rift to hell which pours into our space  (Doom 3's teleporters actually capture this really well)

* Merging of technology and "demon" flesh

* Possessed people

* Cool as shit

Imagine how things would go if they didn't blow up the ship in the end, or if they made a sequel.  It's Doom dude.  Through and through.

53 minutes ago, Thedoctor989 said:

could that 2nd voice be the guy who is the doomguy?

Its likely the casting director's voice.

5 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

Hm... I haven't watched Event Horizon but it seems like I'll have to.

Can't stress enough how much I like it.

Ignore the reviews, I have no frigging idea why they are that low.

1 hour ago, Antnee said:

Can't stress enough how much I like it.

Ignore the reviews, I have no frigging idea why they are that low.

Heh, alright. Screw the reviews anyway, if Doom fans are saying it's good, then I sure as hell will watch it.

3 hours ago, KVELLER said:

Heh, alright. Screw the reviews anyway, if Doom fans are saying it's good, then I sure as hell will watch it.

We already know that in hell, everybody loves popcorn. :D

MV5BODAzYTI0MTQtMDcyYy00YzU2LWE3MTUtMjgz

On 11/10/2018 at 6:30 PM, XLightningStormL said:

Have to admit, the writing on the script of that video isn't bad, it's got a good flow, and Akie isn't a bad actor, but the issue I'm seeing is that too much lore and exposition might be dumped. Knowing Doom fans, exposition, story and lore don't matter unless it's an optional codex entry, and I could see many getting the shits that there's "too much" expositionary dialogue and not enough demon-killing.

Meh. This Doom fan hopes there is a decent amount of exposition and lore, as well as lots of demon killing and blood, guts, and gore. Honestly, if the film were all demon killing with absolutely no exposition and lore at all, then the movie would suck in my eyes.  

New picture of Chidiajufo in full costume for the new film

This summer huh? My guess is the release month is either May or June. If i see any more movie updates I'll post them

4 hours ago, NBH said:

New picture of Chidiajufo in full costume for the new film

This summer huh? My guess is the release month is either May or June. If i see any more movie updates I'll post them

There you go kids, the Marine outfits aren't black "tacticool" garbage after all, looks inspired by the US Aquaflage uniform (abeit without the black and white specks) which makes sense after all, they are space marines.

Still, honestly I would've preferred that they went for a proper Green Kevlar breastplate (styled), and green uniform like the game, but that would've been probably too much strain on the budget (not to mention it'd be a pain in the arse for actors to wear hard material around their torso)