Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revved

DOOM: Annihilation - the new Doom movie

Judging by the photos captions, it looks like they're actually doing demons this time, not weird mutants.  That's a big plus right there.

On 5/27/2018 at 9:04 AM, Nine Inch Heels said:

And that's the one thing that concerns me... I think the warcraft and the old doom movie adaptation have shown pretty clearly that it's a very difficult thing to do the fanservice properly while still creating a movie that is able to "please" people who aren't familiar with the actual game (s). Interestingly, both adaptations missed the mark on different sides of the spectrum, assuming it is actually possible to do it "right" to begin with.

I might be in the minority, but I rather enjoyed the Warcraft movie despite knowing absolutely nothing about the original games.  It was a perfectly solid fantasy film (even though I did find it odd how there was literally not a single old person in it.  Even the old wizard dude was like in his 30s.  It was weird!)

Awesome, really digging the set design from Nina Bergmans newest clip. Those are some accurate wall panels straight from the games! like Doom 3 and 2016 combined. Very impressed just waiting to see how they do the demons! 

LOL at the dude with the broom, that's totally a reference to the brutal doom zombies imo ;)

Here’s the Twitter version of that video. Anyway, it appears that Dominic Mafham (the actor playing Dr. Betruger) appears to have removed the “post-transformation” images that were recently posted. In case you didn’t get a chance to see them, I can describe them to you:

Basically, his lab coat/jacket appeared to be covered in ash and blood, his teeth were stained black/dark red with blood, there were bloody markings on his forehead that looked more like glyphs, and there was some sort of blackened hole in his bared chest that appeared to be glowing red, which either looked like his heart burning out of his chest, or the aftermath of an Imp’s fireball. 

I’m guessing the images were removed due to getting into story-related spoilers.

By the way, everyone involved has been rather tight-lipped when it came to story-related details.

The only real exception came from Tony himself, who mentioned that it’s not a sequel to the 2005 movie. 

Another double post, but we do have a couple more details coming from Tony Giglio:

So right from the horse’s mouth:

There will in fact be proper demons from Hell, and not the “evil genetic experments gone awry” from the 2005 movie. 

That's nice, but this line caught my attention: 

"Gotta save some things for the sequel". Are they already planning to turn this into a duology or trilogy? Most intriguing.

I don't have any high hopes for this movie but who knows, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. All signs point to bad, especially with Hollywood's crappy track record when it comes to adopting properties.

30 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

That's nice, but this line caught my attention: 

"Gotta save some things for the sequel". Are they already planning to turn this into a duology or trilogy? Most intriguing.

Makes me wonder if this movie is just "Knee Deep in the Dead," and we still have the other 2 episodes to go through :)

Urgh, that sequel tweet. No Barons or Cacos (I assume Imps are lowly enough to be cannon fodder in the first movie)? Blech. They're removing the one reason I had to even see the thing, which is the over-the-top demonic hordes. I'm sure there will be plenty of imps and generic zombies though.

And we have our first look at the gore-infested halls of the base. Not bad at all, right?

On second inspection, the door in the first picture actually looks quite a lot like BIGDOOR. 

If it's based on Knee Deep in the Dead then it makes sense that there are no Cacos and Lost Souls.

I would be pretty miffed if there were no Barons of Hell.

I know this might sound a bit sexist but.. What's with all the video game movies that have female lead roles in place of the male roles of the original source material.

Damned be my internet for cutting off while people were posting stuff (now deleted) from the movie.

Also, it seems very weird to me that they finished filming already. So far this looks like it is some sort of "prequel" to the story of the first game. For them to hint that they're not including demons from post-Episode 1, that seems to be the case.

It is worth being mentioned once again, that they were filming some interviews about the movie with a few members of the cast...and June 10 is not that far from now...

5 hours ago, MrD!zone said:

I know this might sound a bit sexist but.. What's with all the video game movies that have female lead roles in place of the male roles of the original source material.

Examples?

Another Instagram still. It looks like one of the cavernous areas. 

I’m willing to bet the movie actually takes place on Phobos (as in, the actual moon itself) or there’s going to be scenes in Hell.

There’s actually a bit of reddish-orangish lighting on the rocks just behind Amy, so the latter could be more likely. 

18 hours ago, Quasar said:

Makes me wonder if this movie is just "Knee Deep in the Dead," and we still have the other 2 episodes to go through :)

10 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

If it's based on Knee Deep in the Dead then it makes sense that there are no Cacos and Lost Souls.

7 hours ago, IMX said:

So far this looks like it is some sort of "prequel" to the story of the first game. For them to hint that they're not including demons from post-Episode 1, that seems to be the case.

Given how the movie is supposedly taking place in “Phobos Compound,” it actually would make sense if the movie itself is actually based on Knee Deep in the Dead (or if it’s actually a prequel), hence the potential lack of monsters like the Cacodemon or Lost Soul. 

7 hours ago, IMX said:

Also, it seems very weird to me that they finished filming already.

Actually, it’s about the average amount of time for a movie to actually shoot, assuming around a 90 minute runtime. Movies on average take about a month or two to shoot, then afterwards we have the post-production process. 

7 hours ago, IMX said:

Damned be my internet for cutting off while people were posting stuff (now deleted) from the movie.

There was more leaked material from the movie? To my knowledge, the only real material that was deleted was the “post-transformation Betruger” image which I detailed in an earlier post. 

Okay so, if they started doing post-production stuff already, and given that we're just on June, could it be somewhat safe to assume we're going to see it around early 2019?

Imagine if they finish the post-production phase early and release the film on December. Just in time for the beginning of the 25th anniversary!

On 6/3/2018 at 7:55 PM, IMX said:

Imagine if they finish the post-production phase early and release the film on December. Just in time for the beginning of the 25th anniversary!

Now that would be great actually! :)

Most likely what will be the last updates from the actors regarding the movie. It was great to see the adventure that came out of this. All we do now is wait on post-production, and see what’s next. 

Apparently according to @IMX, the interviews from the actors should be coming in a few days. May or may not be true, but we’ll see. 

12 hours ago, Sgt Nate V said:

https://imgur.com/a/BRqU5pE

All the set photos plus ones we haven't seen before and some that were deleted from twitter.

Based on Hector Savage's resemblance to Doomguy, Amy Manson's character will probably be a mere Decoy Protagonist.

I’ve already been hearing theories about that. In fact, another theory I’ve heard is that Akua is Phobos, Carley is Crash, and Savage is Doom (Quake 3 nod, anyone?). 

By the way, thanks for the save on the BTS gallery, dude. 

EDIT:

So it appears that this guy is also working with Autonomous FX to do the demon effects.

24 minutes ago, Man of Doom said:

By the way, thanks for the save on the BTS gallery, dude.

Credit actually goes to GaspardProductions; He compiled the gallery and posted it on r/Doom. I just linked it here.

1 hour ago, Sgt Nate V said:

Credit actually goes to GaspardProductions; He compiled the gallery and posted it on r/Doom. I just linked it here.

Thanks! I was kind of dumbfounded that Doom's reddit barely talked about the movie, so when i saw the pics on twitter, i thought that making an imgur album of all the pictures was a good idea! I had to update the gallery three times because of how much bts stuff was already out there! i'm glad that i managed to save demonic Dr. Betruger for you guys! i was hesitant to add him to the gallery at first because i thought that it would give to much away, but i'm glad i kept him! Sadly, i don't have "shirtless Dr. Betruger" :( I'm really happy that DOOMworld has a pretty big thread about this upcoming movie! And Hector Savage as DOOMguy would indeed be perfection! 

Why does Bertruger look like a dentist? 

Why does the bloody hallway not contain corpses? Did someone get injured and stumble into each wall 10 times, all the while losing copious amounts of blood? 

1 hour ago, Man of Doom said:

Apparently according to @IMX, the interviews from the actors should be coming in a few days. May or may not be true, but we’ll see. 

I was simply theorizing that June 10, being a very significant date for the publisher/owners of the DOOM franchise (Bethesda/Zenimax), might become the day we hear some official word about the movie.

I mean, either way they must announce something DOOM-related at the conference, the 25th Anniversary is coming.

46 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Why does Bertruger look like a dentist? 

Why does the bloody hallway not contain corpses? Did someone get injured and stumble into each wall 10 times, all the while losing copious amounts of blood? 

Makes sense if you assume the demons (or zombies) dragged them off to eat.

@nefxdan for making the demons so scary that we didn't have to act!

Wait wait wait, does that mean they're not CGI? Because that'd be awesome.

8 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

Wait wait wait, does that mean they're not CGI? Because that'd be awesome.

in one image where nina bergman talks to the director, we can see an out of focus zombie to their right

capture56.JPG

Just now, gaspard_productions said:

in one image where nina bergman talks to the director, we can see an out of focus zombie to their right

Well, I'd expect the zombies to be actors. The demons are a different thing.

3 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

Well, I'd expect the zombies to be actors. The demons are a different thing.

i get what you mean, anyways, autonomous FX has been contracted to make the creature suits, they make practical suits and according to their résumé, their work would fit perfectly with DOOM. Stan Winston studios did the creature fx in DOOM 2005

https://autonomousfx.com/fx-galleries/creatures/

2 hours ago, gaspard_productions said:

I was kind of dumbfounded that Doom's reddit barely talked about the movie, so when i saw the pics on twitter, i thought that making an imgur album of all the pictures was a good idea! I had to update the gallery three times because of how much bts stuff was already out there! i'm glad that i managed to save demonic Dr. Betruger for you guys! 

We all wish to thank you for putting up sort of an “unofficial archive” of the BTS work on the 2019 Doom movie. 

And for anyone who’s curious, the movie is being talked about more frequently at r/Doom, but the reception there has been surprisingly and overwhelmingly negative. People have actually been making posts (not just comments) just to complain about how much this movie is going to suck so hard, that there’s no Doomguy, and that everyone involved should be drawn and quartered. Stuff like that. 

Yeah, I wasn't to impressed with there response's either, crying over something that doesn't suit there idea's. Honestly everyone should just be glad someone wants to turn around redo what Doom was as a movie. So far it stands a really good chance at being way better than the other one. And if its episodic, which is what seems to be the case. Then this is only Knee Deep In the Dead. Deimos is next gents, who knows this may spring off into a trilogy with each one bringing in more demons and eventually the final Doomguy himself.