Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revved

DOOM: Annihilation - the new Doom movie

53 minutes ago, Lüt said:

Infini is not the best movie of its type that I've seen, but the one reason I've been recommending it to people even remotely interested in that style of film for the last 2 years is to show them what can be done with a budget of $1 million. And regardless of whether or not people enjoyed the final film, they always admit they're genuinely impressed to see how far such a small budget can be stretched by competent filmmakers who know how to use their resources efficiently.

So I'll also second the Infini recommendation as a good "warm-up" for a Doom movie, as well as a way to quell possible budgetary concerns.

I tried watching Infini twice and couldn't make it that far in. I thought Screamers was a good Doom ish movie even if it had nothing to do with Doom. Its still the last man on the planet combating hostiles against what could amount to clone zombies and metal demons. Infini came from the Philippines, I have a feeling the dollar stretches more in that locale.

On 6/9/2018 at 6:14 AM, GoatLord said:

It's really irking me how many "loyal" members of the community are shitting all over the movie. The cast and crew really look like they're taking it seriously and it's shaping up to be a far better adaptation than the '05 version. Gah, you just can't please some people. I'm just happy there's another movie.

I didn't realize enjoying a series of video games was supposed to make one "loyal" to any media based on it.

So I’ve been hearing rumors that the interviews that some of the actors were engaging in might actually end up at the Bethesda conference. 

The only thing is, isn’t E3 reserved exclusively for video games and not movies? It would be kind of strange if a reveal of the Doom movie was somehow shown at the Bethesda conference. 

EDIT: Welp, looks like the subreddit is getting raided as of this writing. 

Edited by Man of Doom

6 hours ago, Man of Doom said:

It would be kind of strange if a reveal of the Doom movie was somehow shown at the Bethesda conference. 

To me, it wouldn't be.

I mean, the next DOOM movie is probably not the big ass franchise comeback to Hollywood, it is also not part of any kind of "cinematic universe" like some other movie franchises out there.

So, in my opinion, if you want to bring a little bit more of awareness and, why not, a little bit of "legitimacy" to the project, might as well give it a couple of minutes on stage during perhaps the biggest yearly event in gaming.

I mean, I also remember reading somewhere that they also wanted to make a Fallout movie, so perhaps Bethesda might want to test the waters a little bit with the concept of videogame movies under their umbrella.

Edit: Well, so much for that lmao.

Edited by IMX : Post-E3 Conference

Good to see him standing up to the noise. I hope he knows it's only a really vocal minority shouting as loud as they can about it.

Not liking what I'm seeing so far, looks like the first Doom movie judging by the screenshots and tweets.

Hopefully I'm proven wrong...but I'm not placing any bets on it being actually good.

This movie is being made by the direct-to-dvd studios from Universal, from the pictures we've seen so far, to the cheap airsoft military gear and to absolutely atrociously monstrous firearms props, I guess it's safe to assume that this movie is pretty much gonna suck. But what can I say, I honestly enjoyed the first Doom movie, despite them taking a dump on the game's plotline.

In what way is it anything like the first movie so far?

• Needlessly big-name actors not really known for their acting skills? Nope.
  • Martian retrovirus mutants instead of demons and Hell? Nope.
  • Extremely dark sets making the action difficult to discern? Nope.
  • More ego-serving references to the Doom 3 teams' last names than to anything that was actually part of the games? Nope.
  • A director who never played Doom, probably didn't know what Doom was before directing the film, and didn't give a bit of consideration to it? Nope.

As much as I don't have interest in watching movies, but I'm going to assume that the movie is gonna be worse than the first movie, and it's already bad that it won't be in theaters if I remember correctly. To be honest though, I did enjoy some of the first DOOM movie even though it felt more like Doom 3 or something.

2 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

New Doom Movie looks good!

That good?

Not good enough.

(xd)

Shit.

Tony Giglio looks like he's held true to the source material pretty well.

His actors look like they're having fun with the roles.

It might be direct-to-video, but based on what I've seen here, I'd wager it might be alright.

Seriously, I don't know if I'll get it immediately, but I might check it out if I hear it holds up better than the original.

I'm glad to see that we should actually be seeing a Phobos base and demons and all that, so I'm interested.

Curious if there might be a sequel, but I don't know, we'll have to wait and see, I suppose.

12 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Curious if there might be a sequel, but I don't know, we'll have to wait and see, I suppose.

Tony (if I'm not confusing people) jokingly said that they've "got to keep some things for the sequels" at some point. Perhaps that's actually going to happen, depending on the success and reception of this movie.

When do you guys think it might come out? Because it seems like it hasn't taken that long for it to be filmed. My guess would be later this year.

At least they're acknowledging Hell, which is more than the first movie did. As long as it respects the lore, is decently written, and Doom Slayer gets a healthy amount of screentime, I'll be happy.

On 6/12/2018 at 11:02 AM, victorboris1 said:

from the pictures we've seen so far

which show off a variety of horrendous concepts unbefitting of Doom such as science fiction space facilities and naturalistic rocky labyrinths.

On 6/12/2018 at 11:02 AM, victorboris1 said:

to the cheap airsoft military gear and to absolutely atrociously monstrous firearms props

From what I've heard the guns they're using are actually just modified actual guns, so I'm not sure what you mean.

May be off-topic at first, but quite possibly the funniest shit I’ve come across in a long time.

Context for those who missed the party:

There was a big-ass uproar over the protagonist’s gender and whether or not there was going to be a proper Doomguy in the movie.

(Spoilers: there is a proper Doomguy, and his identity is hidden.)

Apparently, a badass female protagonist = the work of “esjaydubbaewes”, leading to the supposed “demise” of r/Doom. 

At least, just before BE3 made those crybabies look like complete idiots with egg on their face. 

Since I only get my Doom related news and discussions from Doom World, an observation I made about the genders topic in the Doom movie is that there is much more sensitivity and outcry about people who says they prefer a Male Doom Guy than anything.

In my opinion, it's ok to prefer a Male Doom Guy and even a Male lead role.

Edited by Chezza

On 6/10/2018 at 2:31 PM, whirledtsar said:

I didn't realize enjoying a series of video games was supposed to make one "loyal" to any media based on it.

What I mean to say is that you'll always have fans who love the franchise, but only when it conforms to their specific vision of what it should be. Any deviation and they start hurling tomatoes at the stage amidst boos and hisses. In my book, the best approach is to be supportive yet critical.

Edited by GoatLord

I don't think most people these days have any problems with a female protagonist. Hell, Alien was the inspiration for Doom (To the point it was originally going to be an Alien Game) and I doubt any of us had a problem with Ellen Ripley. Most of the outrage tends to come when a protagonist that's always been male is perceived as being replaced with a female one, because it comes off as contemptuous and unfaithful. Since Doom Slayer appears to be in the movie, this isn't the case but I imagine the perception of DoomGuy being replaced is what caused the outrage, not just that it has a female lead.

13 minutes ago, MetroidJunkie said:

I don't think most people these days have any problems with a female protagonist. Hell, Alien was the inspiration for Doom (To the point it was originally going to be an Alien Game) and I doubt any of us had a problem with Ellen Ripley. Most of the outrage tends to come when a protagonist that's always been male is perceived as being replaced with a female one, because it comes off as contemptuous and unfaithful. Since Doom Slayer appears to be in the movie, this isn't the case but I imagine the perception of DoomGuy being replaced is what caused the outrage, not just that it has a female lead.

That's exactly what it is.

If this isn't too spammy, I wanted to share this tribute I made in anticipation of the film. Been excited since the beginning and this captures a personal vision of what cinematic Doom music would sound like.

Here's an interesting bit of info, recently a spanish speaking videogame site asked Pete Hines about the doom movie, were he confirmed that neither id, nor bethesda are involved in the movie's production

Here's a translation

We aren't involved at all with the new DOOM movie. All of that happened before (regarding the film rights) Zenimax bought Bethesda years back, so we aren't working with the production company