Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revved

DOOM: Annihilation - the new Doom movie

15 hours ago, VGA said:

This isn't the 80s or 90s, a Doom movie doesn't have to be a cheesy cringefest. Are the new games low budget cheesy cringefests? No, they are high-budget badass shooters with the best gfx technology and optimised as fuck. If you don't have the budget to bring out something good, spare the fans the embarrassment.

But...what If I like cheesy cringefest films and it's exactly what I want from a Doom movie?

5 hours ago, Gez said:

"Oh no! This movie is going to be cheesy B-movie schlock! Why can't they respect the deep lore of the Doom universe by giving us a serious adaptation instead? Like they did for the high-brow Doom comic, a monument of classic literature."

"If there's little to follow then why follow it at all lmao"

4 hours ago, Gez said:

"Oh no! This movie is going to be cheesy B-movie schlock! Why can't they respect the deep lore of the Doom universe by giving us a serious adaptation instead? Like they did for the high-brow Doom comic, a monument of classic literature."

"Also I see there are girls in there. This is a crime."

Many of the same people that are just fine with such timeless lines as "rip and tear", "I'm a man and a half", "Sweet Christmas, big mouthed floating thingies!", and "Stupid spectre! Gonna get what you deserve!" - and the fact that id Software put some of this stuff in their newest game - find somebody shouting "Die die die!" absurd and intolerable.

image.png.1585403101ea745cb7916f81b25927bb.png

54 minutes ago, Gez said:

The fact is that all of Doom's previous adaptations to non-interactive mediums have been schlocky, cheesy stuff. So why the Hell are you people bitching that another adaptation is going to be a schlocky, cheesy thing? Yes it's going to be a terrible movie by cinematic standards. But we all knew that when the first rumors of a new Doom movie appeared. This was confirmed when we learned it'd be a low-budget direct-to-video affair by a director who's only made lemons. So why the outrage?

Funny thing. My friend and I were just talking about how, for all the back and forth about whether Doom is serious or not, Doomguy's motivation post ULTIMATE DOOM comes down "they killed my bunny". I guess John Whick enlisted in the marines after his whole hit man thing fell apart... 

With that said, I think the biggest problem facing anyone doing any kind of movie on Doom is that it really is, at this point, tonally all over the place. You've got the "serious as an 80's/ 90's action movie" Ultimate Doom to Doom 2, the "90's edginess/ grunge horror" of Doom 64, the "Let's be serious with narrative!" Doom 3, and then the "fuck it, lets just shoot stuff and have fun" of Doom 2016 (era of "FUCK CALL OF DUTY" ). It is, point in fact, entirely impossible to have a perfect Doom movie at this point without picking one specific game and saying "this movie is in that game's specific canon" (which is hard to do anyhow, given that Doom's 'canon' is super ambiguous at this point). 

Personally, I do want a more serious Doom. I loved the tone of Doom 64 and Doom 3 (but not the shooting in Doom 3), and despite how much fun Doom 2016 is to actually play, I am not convinced that it would be a good movie setup. I've seen some people mentioning the "Fight like Hell" trailer as an example of what a Doom movie should be, and I got to say... no. It was fun to watch, it was very Doom, and it was very, very short. There was no real dialogue, no story, no narrative, and that's why it worked as a promo for a game that had little to none of those things (hush about the codex, most of that stuff was very throw away anyhow. Hugo Martin even outright said as much in the Noclip documentary). An entire movie of "Doomslayer running around blowing stuff up" would basically be like watching a "Lets Play" of Doom instead of, oh I don't know...playing Doom. 

My fiance' was debating that particular note, pointing out that Fury Road and John Whick are pretty much "main characters running around in action sequences", but here's the thing... even those movies have a fairly strong narrative following a lot of characters besides "one badass". As such, I still feel like a Doom movie that gives importance only to Doomguy/ Doomslayer would be a pointless affair at best. 

As for the cheese.. well, again, I prefer a more serious Doom, but as noted earlier, it's not like either tone is out of left field for the franchise at this point. 

You can't lay all the blame on him. You can tell the movie has a super low budget so he works with what he has.

Even so, this is not cool.

3 minutes ago, Marn said:

Apparently Tony Giglio's been getting death threats. 

If you're not getting death threats online, then you probably aren't having opinions haha.

I think there's potential of how a DOOM movie could experiment with and/or expand upon the lore, and how fancy special effects and art direction true to the games could enhance the action.

Yeah, it could be a fun, schlocky, low-budget cheese-fest, but if it turns out to just be that it would make me contemplate how much more it could've been.

Oh dear god, I hope more news comes out on Doom Eternal soon (and like really soon). That should temporarily placate the manbabies like it did when Doom Eternal got announced.

(Seriously, everyone who demanded a firing squad for the entire cast and crew for the movie stopped complaining the second we saw that a sequel to Doom 2016 was happening.)

1 hour ago, Marn said:

Apparently Tony Giglio's been getting death threats. 

How predictable.

It's almost like it's popular to threaten movie makers, artists, and so on over their work these days. I knew this was going to eventually happen after the release of the trailer.

These people must be so, so little and have successfully reached an all-time low in their insignificant lives to do something like this.

The outpouring of negativity is downright disgusting, I read most of the twitter replies and reddit garbage.. not impressed by the community other than doomworld" I can understand some bitching.. it's just going to far now. Like beating the dead horse and burning its fucking ashes. As a DOOM fan I couldn't be any more happy with Eternal on its way. However Now let's destroy every fucking one associated with this new film.. death threats to the guys family for crying out loud.. that's real class. Believe me when I say this No One deserves the kind of shit spewed at Tony and the cast, that being said I believe this was suppose to be another "fun" doom film, obviously the female cast isn't suiting well.. still Ill watch the movie. Just don't expect me to join in on the gang rape.

Besides that, the actually set design looks good, the imp looking demon was cool. I still would like to see some good come out of this. If it's possible at this time.

I'm not going to even pretend to show any support for what the asshats do when they get upset over something stupid, but I'm certainly not going to suddenly start thawing my opinion of the movie over it. At the end of the day, my feelings are mostly that a bad first impression has been left, not much more. I feel when id themselves is disowning it, something isn't quite right.

This whole trailer is like resident evils retarded cousin

Edited by Ichor : No need to quote the entire OP

Watched the trailer.

It's "Eh".

Looks like a cheap sci-fi action thriller movie you'll see on SyFy.

Most of that trailer is scene changes and text, it is barely 15 seconds of the actual movie. Of course the ones attacking the crew don't care, They don't even know anything about the movie and most of their spam is misinformation spread by other idiots like them. 

First of all, fuck the Doom comic.

Second of all, the quintessential proof that a DOOM movie will never be able to satisfy everyone can be found with one simple question:

If there was a Doomguy in that movie, would you want him to speak, or not?

Most Hollywood action movies are supported by the expressions of its protagonists, and people can mention Fury Road all they want but when you look at it you would find that Tom Hardy still had some lines and we could still see his face.

Doomguy barely emotes in the game, and I mean, in DOOM 2016 he never shouted or yelped at all.

To which I say: Good luck getting an action movie with a 100% silent protagonist to work in Hollywood and sell tickets, let alone get approved and financed by any movie studio.

We know about the Dooms, the Resident Evils, the Street Fighters and the Prince of Persias, but do we even know about the amount of videogame movie pitches that were shot down by movie studios for not being convincing enough (on their eyes)?

The movie doesn't look great from the trailer

I can't wait to watch it

Fill me up with B-movie schlock, it might end up being the perfect movie.

14 minutes ago, IMX said:

To which I say: Good luck getting an action movie with a 100% silent protagonist to work in Hollywood and sell tickets, let alone get approved and financed by any movie studio.

Not 100% silent, but John Wick. He barely speaks in the movie, all the other characters do the talking, and the movies would still work perfectly if he never spoke a single line of dialogue.

Ryan Gosling barely speaks in Drive.

If you only want 5 star movies, the main character never speaks in Human Centipede 2

6 hours ago, Quasar said:

Many of the same people that are just fine with such timeless lines as "rip and tear", "I'm a man and a half", "Sweet Christmas, big mouthed floating thingies!", and "Stupid spectre! Gonna get what you deserve!" - and the fact that id Software put some of this stuff in their newest game - find somebody shouting "Die die die!" absurd and intolerable.

If 'many of the same people' are fine with the above lines being in some schlocky comic from the mid 90's, and yet cringe when they hear that 'die die die' line in that trailer, it's because there are different standards people hold for a modern movie vs a 25 year old comic, and because people are humans and can thus recognize when an actress delivers a line that has the emotional resonance of a dictionary reading. This isn't a mystery and it's not a case of some blatant double standard people have.

Also, other than 'rip and tear', which of these did id put in the most recent game? 

13 minutes ago, Caffeine Freak said:

it's because there are different standards people hold for a modern movie vs a 25 year old comic

People thought it was terrible 25 years ago (citation: I was there). Until it was included in the id Anthology as a bonus, nobody even knew about it for the most part. If standards have evolved, then it has been toward looking at that psychedelic-drugs-inspired schlock in a more friendly light than before, as it's now become a massive Internet meme and gets such official acknowledgment:

15 minutes ago, Caffeine Freak said:

Also, other than 'rip and tear', which of these did id put in the most recent game?

None of those in particular but there's at least one other reference - "Witness the BFG-9000" in the Codex is a reference to "Mine eyes can but weep as they bear witness to the majesty - the BFG9000".