Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revved

DOOM: Annihilation - the new Doom movie

You need a serious budget for a showdown against 2 huge monsters. This non-theatrical release will spend a lot of time "building atmosphere" and having character dialogues. And will have some short, dodgy, quick-cut action sequences. And nothing fancy like an Archvile resurrecting a monster and showing its flesh and limbs being reattached. Just many zombies.

I called it, let's see if I'm correct.

3 hours ago, VGA said:

You need a serious budget for a showdown against 2 huge monsters. This non-theatrical release will spend a lot of time "building atmosphere" and having character dialogues. And will have some short, dodgy, quick-cut action sequences. And nothing fancy like an Archvile resurrecting a monster and showing its flesh and limbs being reattached. Just many zombies.

I called it, let's see if I'm correct.

I think you're probably mostly right, but I'm a little more optimistic. Maybe we'll see some more monsters like imps, which can easily just be guys in costumes. More complex monsters that don't directly interact with the characters like a Cacodemon might make it too.

Considering there's some creature FX studio who worked on the movie (don't recall which one), I think we can expect at least a few monsters as in-camera practical effects.

On 12/19/2018 at 12:28 PM, GoatLord said:

Conveying the atmosphere of the franchise is more important than the portrayal of the Doomguy.

Doomguy is part of the atmosphere. He's what makes it a horror game for the demons.

He's a silent, nameless placeholder for the player. He has no background story to speak of. I don't think he's as integral as we make him out to be.

8 hours ago, GoatLord said:

He's a silent, nameless placeholder for the player. He has no background story to speak of. I don't think he's as integral as we make him out to be.

Yes he is. He is the vessel onto which you pour the emotions the game generates. Plus, he has a rather unique face.

10 hours ago, GoatLord said:

He may be silent and nameless but he does have background story. People seem to forget about it. The whole thing about being transferred for assaulting a superior officer who ordered him to fire on civillians ordeal. He is very integral.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doomguy#Incarnations

4 hours ago, Nevander said:

He may be silent and nameless but he does have background story. People seem to forget about it. The whole thing about being transferred for assaulting a superior officer who ordered him to fire on civillians ordeal. He is very integral.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doomguy#Incarnations

If you consider a backstory that has objectively nothing to do with the main plot of the game 'integral' than sure I guess he his.

Idk I guess I just can't tell what 'making the doomguy a part of the movie' would even entail. Is it shoving his backstory in haphazardly? Casting a guy with a similar looking face? There's nothing to work with.

When I think about the tone and story of classic doom, the doom guy is the last thing I think about. The locations, the demons, the guns etc are more important to me. Heck, honestly the guns are more likable as protagonists than the doomguy is. Its fine in a video game because I'm to one making all the decisions and feeling the emotions, but in a movie version theres nothing forcing them to like, cast a guy with a similar face, or work his backstory in anywhere. It's all besides the point.

Okay, I'll concede that the "assaulting a superior officer and getting transferred to Mars" thing is interesting, and could be incorporated in the film in a way that would give the character depth, but you can play the entire original game without knowing that and it would make no difference at all. Doom is not really about characters, but tone and aesthetic.

Could not 3D print a Plasma Rifle or a HAR? some classic helmet of the game. This looks generic space swat again

https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/288270/universal-pushes-back-new-doom-adaptation-but-for-positive-reasons/

So the movie is getting pushed back to fall this year, but for good reasons. Universal likes how the film is looking so far, so they're giving the filmmakers more time to work on the effects and improve one of the sequences set in hell.

Sounds good to me! I don't mind waiting a little longer if it means they're adding more polish to the movie.

Also there's also a few new pictures of the sets in the article. 

1 hour ago, Triple_sSs said:

https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/288270/universal-pushes-back-new-doom-adaptation-but-for-positive-reasons/

So the movie is getting pushed back to fall this year, but for good reasons. Universal likes how the film is looking so far, so they're giving the filmmakers more time to work on the effects and improve one of the sequences set in hell.

Sounds good to me! I don't mind waiting a little longer if it means they're adding more polish to the movie.

Also there's also a few new pictures of the sets in the article. 

What's that? Pushing a horror movie back to Halloween time? If they really liked how the movie was looking, they'd give it a grander theatrical release. I'm still waiting to see the movie before I deem it good or bad. It could be some low budget gem.

It's done when it's done? Might be a good thing this, though I expect it was never in the running for cinema release. More likely, it's so rough right now that releasing it would be throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Fingers crossed for cult classic!

I just found about this I'm glad Universal 1440 is taking their time with this and are trying to do it right

On 1/25/2019 at 11:17 PM, Triple_sSs said:

Don't mind me, just quoting what's on the article for the handful that are too lazy to click.

However, this news is for good reasons as we’re being told that the studio has seen the film and has very positive feelings about it. So much so, in fact, that they’ve given the filmmakers more time to work on the VFX, including updating a sequence set in Hell. The goal is to “use a broader VFX brush to really make Hell awesome” and for Universal to make it “more fantastic”.

While the, “…action and story of the Hell sequence is NOT changing,” they are, “…enhancing the location and doing some pick-up photography that supports the original vision of the scene.”

And for those of you who are doubting the veracity of this info., DreadCentral were the first to report and confirm key members of the cast of the new film.

Now here's the deal. For Universal to have positive feelings about a movie from a franchise which previously failed on its first big screen iteration and became an immediate reference for bad videogame movies, it gives a light of hope for those of you who want a big budget movie about DOOM.

The average budget for superhero movies these days oscillates around the $200M-400M mark. Give or take, this new DOOM movie might be around $10M-20M in budget, and I'm probably being too generous. Perhaps you shouldn't have expected a movie studio to throw around superhero movie money to a franchise that has a bad record, but for Universal to give Tony and the rest of the team more time to work on the visual effects of a scene that might not even last more than 10 minutes - and to top it off, to extend the release date all the way to Fall of this year, it makes you feel like they actually have hopes for this film to become a moderate success and light up the chances for a sequel with all the bells, whistles and green space marine action that people want.

Guys guys guys! This str8-to-DVD movie is extremely awesome and the attention to detail is unprecedented. That's why it was pushed back a bit, to reach perfection. You don't just rush art!

Unrelated to previous discussion, but the perfect Doom movie would basically be No Country For Old Men in space, with Olivia Pierce taking the role of Lwellyn Moss and Doomguy taking the role of Anton Chigurh.

7 hours ago, Marn said:

Unrelated to previous discussion, but the perfect Doom movie would basically be No Country For Old Men in space, with Olivia Pierce taking the role of Lwellyn Moss and Doomguy taking the role of Anton Chigurh.

"22 levels this shotgun shell has traveled to get here, and now it's here."

very savage No Country metaphor.

I was looking at some leaked set pics and brief footage for this movie and I thought it looked well done. Obviously editing and sound will have a huge impact, but the set was dope and the actors looked bout it. If they get a little humor and a little gore, I dont see why it cannot be liked by me. I mean, Technically I enjoyed the last Doom movie, but if the Metal is louder and Imps explode, Im going to like the new movie better. I dunno. My 2cents.

Looking at Tony Giglio's filmography and Hollywood's general inability to adapt a video game into something that works as a movie, I expect this new Doom movie to be at best a generic action flick that would have gone completely unnoticed had it not been for brand recognition - which alas is the fate of pretty much every straightforward adaptation attempt of a video game to the big screen.

When it comes to video games, I really think the film industry's best bet is to seek inspiration from them (e.g. Tron, eXistenZ, The Matrix, Crank, Edge of Tomorrow, Wreck-It Ralph, etc.) rather than just taking existing video game franchises and stripping them of everything that makes them memorable in the first place just to turn them into feature-length cutscenes/trailers.

I don't expect much, but I have some faith that it'll be a dumb action flick with decent backstory, atmosphere and action; hopefully a nice way to provide exposition to the Marines that weren't Doomguy/Blazkowicz/Doomslayer that got massacred in the base (which the whole movie seems to imply that it's a prequel)

Funny despite the whole sssjaedubbau shitshow, a few of the characters have some foothold in the series, Jemma Moore's Li is clearly a re-imagining of the Character of Lorelei from the Doom bible, Nina Bergman's Carley is most definitely supposed to be a re-imagining of Crash from Q3 Arena, so don't say I told you so when her nickname is "Crash" Joan Dark is an anigma, and inspired by Perfect Dark's Joanna Dark (or at least named after) though there is probably inspiration from Thi Barrett (Doom bible again) As for other characters: Chidi Ajufo's Akua is some sort of re-imaging of both John Petrovich from the doom bible, aswell as Phobos from Q3 Arena.

Got this off of Tony Giglio twitter it might be the new official doom movie logo

600x200.jpg

3 minutes ago, EtherBot said:

I can't find the tweet...

Look at the banner.