Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revved

DOOM: Annihilation - the new Doom movie

Just now, Marn said:

Suppose you're a low budget film that can't afford fancy armor or environments.

Why not at least take what you have to work with and put the effort into building a compelling story around it?

Here's how I would do it. The movie is centered around characters named after the characters from the Doom Alpha, including Buddy Dacote, who is their leader as well as Betruger, a scientist who is fascinated with the occult and has frequent visions and dreams that hint what is to come. The demonic invasion starts when the scientists find the Phobos Anomaly. Through dreams and visions Betruger discovers that there is an ancient artifact of immense power right at the center of the Anomaly. Eventually, he finds conclusive proof of its existence and since no one knows what the artifact is the mission of the marines is to contain it.

They go through the Phobos base and as the hordes get tougher more and more marines die. Near the climax only Buddy Dacote is left alive. He soon reaches the anomaly to contain the artifact but Betruger has other plans. He heroically fights the two Barons guarding the artifact but is gravely wounded. Just as he reaches the artifact Betruger stabs him in the back (a nod to the surprise at the end of KDITD). As he approaches it, he discovers that the artifact is actually a sarcophagus. He believes that it contains a demon of immense power and as he completes the spell to open it, the Doomslayer suddenly and violently opens it and bashes his skull against the base of the sarcophagus, just like he did with the zombie in Doom 2016.

The next 15-20 minutes of the movie is a non-stop killing spree in Hell with fast and frantic action, just like the games. Essentially, the Doomslayer is the monster of the movie and because his screentime is much more restricted, he doesn't need to say much.

I actually hope the movie is good. Doom deserves a redeeming entry from the flop that was the first movie.

You know, at least the first movie TRIED to represent the game, be it in subtle nods, outright having some demons from the game, or even the appearance of the BFG.

This trailer showed NONE of that. I can let not having Doomguy in this go, but when everything else looks so amateurish and low effort, why bother watching?  

I would LOVE for this film to prove me wrong, I'd like to actually see a GOOD video game-based movie for a change. But history has shown that when trailers look this bad, the final product usually is too. (with VERY rare exceptions.)

1 hour ago, DooM_RO said:

The next 15-20 minutes of the movie is a non-stop killing spree in Hell with fast and frantic action, just like the games. Essentially, the Doomslayer is the monster of the movie and because his screentime is much more restricted, he doesn't need to say much.

Even the one minute Fight Like Hell Doom 2016 trailer probably had a bigger budget than this entire movie. 15 minutes of that quality won't be ever happening without technological advances making CGI much easier to do.

10 hours ago, Reinchard said:

Fancy plastic everywhere... Jeez, look at 1979 Alien and compare to this... Don't remember when I last saw that extremely cheap decorations like this.

Alien had a budget of $11-14 million which in today's money is about $40 million. It was a Hollywood film, not a direct-to-video movie. How is this a fair comparison?

1 hour ago, rodster said:

So many experts in here. Let's assemble and create a Doom movie ourselves! 

^This.

To be more exact, they want a Doomguy that actually doesn't exist. You are Doomguy, you must be in the movie. I remember when I didn't understand this and I used to hate Doom/3 Novels, Doom Bible, Doom Movie just because they had another protogonist that weren't the Doomguy/B.J Blazkowicz I wanted to see. But later I realized I was Doomguy (you are Doomguy) and now I respect other Doomguys and Doomgirls around there. Nobody will portray your Doomguy as you wish, in 2005 Karl Urban didn't live up your expectations because you and I wanted to see somebody that actually we are. If you want a great Doom movie, the protagonist must be you.

4 hours ago, GoatLord said:

I took a film class years ago, have been shooting video since 2006, have worked on indie films and recently documented a local horror/action movie. Let me tell you that filmmaking is extremely difficult and time consuming. The dismissive attitude some of you have taken is just plain bratty. Even the original Doom movie, flawed as it is, took an enormous amount of effort to complete.  

"Even though the movie sucks, it took a lot of effort to make, so please don't be so mean."

Just because it took a lot of effort to make doesn't excuse it being ridiculous. I do apperciate the effort, considering how it has relatively low budget, but there's nothing else to that.

This movie is like Fondue bread.  Drowned in cheese.

I can't say what I think in explicit detail here as it would get me in trouble with the moderators.

44 minutes ago, Quasar said:

Quit posting pictures of like/dislike ratios. Nobody gives a shit. There's tons of brigading going on over this. For every one of those dislikes, subtract off every comment on the video whining about there being a female protagonist or about "MUH DOOMGUY" and you're not left with much.

This is a patently ridiculous claim. And no, you can't explain away the overwhelmingly negative reaction by chalking it up to a bunch of angry incels. To be clear, yes, those types of losers *definitely* exist, but they aren't the reason a trailer like this is badly received. The trailer doesn't have a shitton of dislikes because a bunch of vagina-hating Doom fans decided to form a 'brigade', it has a shitton of dislikes because it looks like a shitty movie.

1 minute ago, Caffeine Freak said:

This is a patently ridiculous claim. And no, you can't explain away the overwhelmingly negative reaction by chalking it up to a bunch of angry incels. To be clear, yes, those types of losers *definitely* exist, but they aren't the reason a trailer like this is badly received. The trailer doesn't have a shitton of dislikes because a bunch of vagina-hating Doom fans decided to form a 'brigade', it has a shitton of dislikes because it looks like a shitty movie.

Based on what? One admittedly cheesy line and what should have been expected (less than AAA production quality)? I'd like to see a better explanation of why people are so pissed off about it that doesn't invoke anything regarding green armor or the lack thereof. I see people overlooking the things that are in there, like with the above comment suggesting this movie is not making any references to Doom, whereas in fact it's making significantly more of them than the first movie did, and it's hard not to believe they just didn't have their mind made up already.

1 hour ago, NPC_CO8ALT said:

You know, at least the first movie TRIED to represent the game, be it in subtle nods, outright having some demons from the game, or even the appearance of the BFG.

Did we see the same trailer? In 30 seconds we got: a premise directly taken from the 1993 game's manual where scientists open a portal to Hell and demons come through, an overhead shot of the Phobos crater that evokes the Knee Deep in the Dead results screen, an imp and former humans (two of the four Doom monsters that appeared in the 2005 film), a chainsaw, an exploding barrel, and a BFG. It even looks more like the OG BFG more than the 2005 one did!

12 minutes ago, Quasar said:

Based on what? One admittedly cheesy line and what should have been expected (less than AAA production quality)? I'd like to see a better explanation of why people are so pissed off about it that doesn't invoke anything regarding green armor or the lack thereof. I see people overlooking the things that are in there, like with the above comment suggesting this movie is not making any references to Doom, whereas in fact it's making significantly more of them than the first movie did, and it's hard not to believe they just didn't have their mind made up already.

Based on a trailer riddled with decades old sound effects, based on made for TV production quality, based on the sheer cringe factor of the text interludes (Wanted: Doomslayers, Your Mission: Don't Die, It's Not a game Anymore), based on the general overall presentation. I've already said there's a few good things in there (the demon close-up, the overhead shot of the base itself), but that doesn't change the fact that there's some rather embarrassing stuff in there as well.

And yeah, it's admittedly hard for me to judge the emotional reaction of thousands of people online, but the general vibe of the reaction I've detected is less pissed off, and more incredulity at how bad this looks. 

Just now, Caffeine Freak said:

Based on a trailer riddled with decades old sound effects, based on made for TV production quality, based on the sheer cringe factor of the text interludes (Wanted: Doomslayers, Your Mission: Don't Die, It's Not a game Anymore), based on the general overall presentation. I've already said there's a few good things in there (the demon close-up, the overhead shot of the base itself), but that doesn't change the fact that there's some rather embarrassing stuff in here.

And yeah, it's admittedly hard for me to judge the emotional reaction of thousands of people online, but the general vibe of the reaction I've detected is less pissed off, and more incredulity at how bad this looks. 

Exactly. I mean, I would be embarrased to show this trailer to someone I know who doesn't play games.

Hugo and Marty are huge movie fans. Maybe they should get a stab at it. Maybe they could work around the rights by not making it full-feature? There's got to be some kind of loophole.

@Quasar To be clear, I still have every intention of watching the movie as soon as it's released, and I'm more than willing to be proven wrong about my initial impressions here. Who knows, maybe this is just a fluke of a really badly constructed trailer, and there's a lot of gold waiting to be shown here. I'd much prefer that over yet another bad game adaptation.

2 hours ago, rodster said:

Let's not take the "if you think it sucks, do something better by yourself" approach (if I read the post correctly, apologies if I'm misunderstanding your words).

It's a very poor "excuse" (if you can even call it that) which I see popping up from time to time when it comes to music and video games. Just because we criticize something doesn't mean we're supposed to do it better by ourselves (in this case, do a better movie). Provided it's valid criticism and not whining/bitching of course.

1 hour ago, Quasar said:

Quit posting pictures of like/dislike ratios. Nobody gives a shit. There's tons of brigading going on over this. For every one of those dislikes, subtract off every comment on the video whining about there being a female protagonist or about "MUH DOOMGUY" and you're not left with much.

You're not "right" just because you're in a majority, and those willing to give this a shot are not going to change their mind because of it.

^ He's absolutely right here. Numbers don't mean jack in certain cases.

And let's not forget about the herd mentality (and idiots). All it takes is something they don't like and chances are, all logic and reason goes south immediately.

1 hour ago, GoatLord said:

Alien had a budget of $11-14 million which in today's money is about $40 million. It was a Hollywood film, not a direct-to-video movie. How is this a fair comparison?

We're talking about 40 years of sci-fi movies evolution in every visual aspect (cgi/fx/environment decorations etc). And now, in 2019 we have decorations made of super cheap, extremely clean plastic which cover every single inch of whole scene including walls, floors, weapons, costumes. It's less a matter of budget but more a case of some graphical/composition intuition. In '79 Alien they used the old printer parts and fuel engines to cover all Nostromo walls. But, hey if we talking about low budget - is it really so expensive to use some dirt here and there?

2 hours ago, rodster said:

OK. I'm a Carpenter so I can help with props. :D

Okay, I see what you're saying. That seems to boil down to creative use of budget, and it's what happens when you have a movie where Ridley Scott, Chriss Foss and H. R. Giger all work together, versus whoever the art director is for Doom: Annihilation. But I still think the reaction has been over-the-top. Yes, it looks a bit plastic...but I can suspend my disbelief.

14 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

Okay, I see what you're saying. That seems to boil down to creative use of budget, and it's what happens when you have a movie where Ridley Scott, Chriss Foss and H. R. Giger all work together, versus whoever the art director is for Doom: Annihilation. But I still think the reaction has been over-the-top. Yes, it looks a bit plastic...but I can suspend my disbelief.

I could count at least 3 good things I see in the trailer for cheering up:

- impy monster closeup scene

- Phobos surface

- 2 guys looking like Doomguy from original status bar :)

Maybe the trailer was done by another team/company? Is a common practice from what I know, so there is still some chance this movie doesn't suck so much.

14k dislikes out of 200k views is frankly nothing. If it is going to compete for most disliked it already lost by a mile, can't compete with Blizzard and Youtube in that department! 

15 minutes ago, Reinchard said:

I could count at least 3 good things I see in the trailer for cheering up:

- impy monster closeup scene

- Phobos surface

- 2 guys looking like Doomguy from original status bar :)

Maybe the trailer was done by another team/company? Is a common practice from what I know, so there is still some chance this movie doesn't suck so much.

The director is not typically going to be communicating with whoever cuts the trailer. They often tonally misrepresent the actual product.

5 minutes ago, Reinchard said:

Actually, this was something I’ve only recently thought of, and it also holds true with Doom Eternal and the “mortally challenged” non-controversy mentioned in Shaun’s video on that:

The people making the product are often NOT the same as the people marketing the product. Usually, it’s up to the publisher/marketing agency that does the advertising, while those making the product are an entirely different party. 

I’m well aware of the fact that there’s plenty to worry about (mainly the dialog and perceived lack of variety in monsters), but there’s also plenty of things to be interested in (the artistic choices and aesthetic for the Phobos Base, the fact that we’re actually getting demons, the BFG already making its appearance). 

As @GoatLord said, a trailer doesn’t always represent a movie tonally. I mean, there have been cases where horrible trailers have led to good movies, and vice versa.

A particular example that comes to mind would be Dredd: while I didn’t mind the trailer, a ton of people said that it looked like a below-average movie. It turned out to be one of the more critically acclaimed movies of that year. 

15 hours ago, Nevander said:

Some people hate just to hate. Reserve your opinions for release please, thank you. I'm getting sick of the negativity in here.

Dude, you came in the thread about the upcoming movie, we are discussing the trailer they released and you're telling us to reserve the negativity for release?

This reminds me of people going "wait until the game is out before you judge it", then gameplay videos show it's bad, "wait until you play it, people!", then it comes out in early access and it's crap, "it's just a beta, people, it's not the final release", then it comes out, "give them some time to patch the bugs and improve the mechanics" ... then after some time "it was just a small team and didn't have a big budget, what did you people expect? Jeeeeesus, the entitlement"

This isn't the 80s or 90s, a Doom movie doesn't have to be a cheesy cringefest. Are the new games low budget cheesy cringefests? No, they are high-budget badass shooters with the best gfx technology and optimised as fuck. If you don't have the budget to bring out something good, spare the fans the embarrassment.

Were the old games or Doom 3 cheesy cringefests when they came out? No? They were the pinnacle of technology. You bought new hardware for them specifically.

Did anyone notice the trailer introduced Slayers, not the Slayer? I'm afraid every character is considered a Slayer - this would perfectly fit to the directors statement Doomguy is generic as player one.