Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Russell_P

Ceiling/Floor RaiseInstant

Yet another Zdoom question from me (the man who appears to know nothing).

I've been doing a bit of sector trickery using Ceiling_RaiseInstant and Floor_RaiseInstant. Unfortunately when the moved floors/ceilings come to rest there is a tell-tale sound (the normal doom sound played when a sector comes to rest). Is there anyway to silence this effect without it effecting other moving sectors?

thanks, but..errr.....can you guess what my next question is going to be?

I've not used dummy sectors before and have no idea how to go about doing what you suggest. :(

Well, you've got your regular sector, which has, lets say, four linedefs. We'll call this sector 1. Now create another set of linedefs which are unconnected to the first set, and make them a part of sector 1 as well. You now have a dummy sector.

Russell,

Do you know how two 'squares' can be the same sector? Normally, you'll get that when splitting a sector into two halves. Dummy sectors are the same: the designer creates two sectors... one inside the level (A) and the other 'unused' inside the void (B), then merging the two sectors (or, applying sector references to A for sector B).

Dummy sectors are commonly used for tricks, usually to create a floor / height reference for instant up/down triggers. To make these triggers silent in-game, you would have to create dummy sector B first, then A, and then merging A with B. Also, place sector B a good distance away from the player position at that time.

Examples of dummy sectors in action can be found at Doomworld Editing Tutorials, especially the bridge tutorials.

Thanks guys. Sorry to sound like such a simpleton but i've not needed to use this kind of thing before. I'll check out that tutorial.

Yeah Sphagne, that's what I do. Any sector that needs to be silent - define a silent sector sound sequence in SNDSEQ and put it in the sector to be moved. Nice and easy.

Russell_P said:

Is there anyway to silence this effect without it effecting other moving sectors?

Ceiling_RaiseInstant is silent, whereas Floor_LowerInstant is not.

If you're going to use this trick on a sector that starts off with floor and ceiling height equal to each other, then use the former.

BTW, I didn't know about that silent sound sequence thing, I'd better get using it, as it will be useful with my Floor_RaiseInstant sectors.