Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fonze

Doom board game painted figures

My brother has been getting into painting the figures that come with some board games, such as the star wars, dark souls, and the doom board games. So far he's only painted a stormtrooper, a couple doom 3 fat zombies and a doom 3 imp, but he seems to have a good grasp on the detail and layering of painting models and I figure these look sweet enough to share. Might be a while before he paints another one with finals approaching, but he does eventually plan to move on to the doom 4 pieces. Would be cool to see some painted figures from other Doomers here too, so post some shots if you got 'em :D

nfMjac3.jpg

IbvwAdu.jpg

1mBJi2Z.jpg

MtgaLFF.jpg

KJZVMt4.jpg

QtkExko.jpg

N8eERR0.jpg

Nice looking stormtrooper, painting white is a total bitch!!

Liking the d3 stuff, what paints you using? citadel?? Anyway some nice layering going on there. You might want to varnish them if your playing a lot with them, get a Matt varnish, shiny models detract from a good paint job.

Just now, Liberation said:

get a Matt varnish, shiny models detract from a good paint job.

I have to agree. It's especially bothersome with the D3 figures. Also:

Just now, Liberation said:

what paints you using?

4 hours ago, Fonze said:

My brother has been getting into painting the figures that come with some board games

Honestly I have no idea; he said a bunch of paint-y words like washes and layers and that was about as far as I understood.

From what I can recall, the stormtrooper was somehow painted black first through an unfortunate accident and many layers of white were needed to fix him. He is covered in a gloss I think, and is shiny all over.

The zombies and imp are only shiny on the bloody parts. I think the zombie skins were colored with a wash? Idk. I'll ask him at some point more info on the paints and his technique.

Good for him, painting is good fun (most of the time) and beats being stuck in front of TV's/consoles/tablets constantly.

I'm tempted to get the doom board game, I would like to paint the models so I might treat myself!  

Nice, if you do I'd love to see some pics of them :)

I'm unsure what you mean by shiny pieces detracting from a good paint job though.

God those look awesome, wish i had the talent (and money) to paint the figures of the 2016 board game myself, some figures looks a bit shinny on the blood but i don't think that's a bad thing, it suggest that it's fresh blood which i like

@Fonze Its not a criticism, they look really good and it was only a suggestion.

If your models are shiny then it reflects the light and you lose the shading and layering effect that you (or your brother) has worked hard to create, admittedly it could be from the photo.

I used a shade/varnish called army painter years ago, however they came out so shiny that they needed a ton of matt varnish in order to look reasonable on the table. So I stopped using it and went along the lines of base coat/wash/layer. 

I didn't take it negatively Lib; I just know absolutely nothing about painting, much less painting models. I enjoy the discussion and chance to learn stuff, plus it may lead to some good advice or knowledge my bro can take out of this.

Some info from broseph:

I use vallejo paints and a few army painter paints. Citadel washes, and the wash is how i colored zombie flesh after base coat. Also i use matte varnish on every model, only the stormtroopers armor and the blood are glossy on purpose

I wonder how it would look at this point if just some small, strategic spots or partial streaks of blood were shiny, with the rest being flat. Still, cool to learn some more about what goes into painting these.

This is bloody awesome job dude. Im not collector but i will definitely buy some of these figures. 

Nice. It's cool that the fat zombie from Doom 3 is included, always had a soft spot for that enemy. 

I can't help but be reminded of the licker from Resident Evil when I look at the imp, but that's not necessarily bad.

Edited by Reaper8888