Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PeterMoro

Need help solving a line def / curved line problem

Question

So I'm making a map and I'd like to curve a line def parallel to another curve. Problem is, when i create the line, it passes through the curve and splits into three separate lines, making it impossible to curve as one line. 

Now, i know the easiest solution is to erase the original curve and then create two separate lines and then curve them together. 

But in this case I'm looking an alternate solution. There are many parts of my map that very detailed and not so easy to erase and start again just for one curve.

I guess my real question is:

Is there any way that i could register three separate line defs as one line so that i could curve them all together as one line? 

I've messed around with this a lot but couldn't find any solutions. Thanks to anyone who can help me with this.

Phobos at 2018.04.27 13-10-13.820 [R2787].jpg

Phobos at 2018.04.27 13-11-52.109 [R2787].jpg

Phobos at 2018.04.27 13-12-03.196 [R2787].jpg

Phobos at 2018.04.27 16-24-07.979 [R2787].jpg

15 answers to this question

This is how I do it...

Step 1. Have a curve.

1xQA5xV.png

Step 2. Put some vertices down where the curve needs to be.

tETKrTW.png

Step 3. Move the vertices off to the side somewhere.

rnDDk4Z.png

Step 4. Connect them with a line.

NpK79Fy.png

Step 5. Curve tool.

1k8Tlbj.png

Step 6. Place in the correct position.

jFuPJuf.png

Then, you can draw the rest of the sector as desired, and use the make sector tool if necessary (if Doom Builder doesn't properly close the sector when you draw the remaining lines in).

If you want to create the PARALLEL curved line - select your already created curved line, copy it (CTRL+C) and paste it (CTRL+V) and place it parallel to the original. You will make a very good copy. And after that just connect them by adding 2 lines to make a sector. This is the best method in your situation

13 minutes ago, spd7693 said:

What do you mean by connected linedefs? The linedefs end from one vertex to another. In order to connect them - i. e. make them one linedef, just remove the vertex. Once made a curved one, the linedef is no longer one, it's multiple linedefs separated by the vertexes. That's how a computer makes a circle - a programmer behind this username. So please explain what you wanna say, because it doesn't seem very clear. 

That's also another possibility that I hadn't considered: Remove the vertex / linedef in the way. Could lead to complications and mess up the sectors but still helpful. Thank you.

Phobos at 2018.04.27 18-09-04.963 [R2787].jpg

Phobos at 2018.04.27 18-09-22.006 [R2787].jpg

Most reliable solution is draw the parallel lines ahead of time. Make sure their "orientation" is equal, and then curve them all at once.

EDIT: Alternatively, when you know how long the next line is going to be, draw it an empty sector, curve it there, and then move the curved line where you need it to be.

14 minutes ago, DeXiaZ said:

If you want to create the PARALLEL curved line - select your already created curved line, copy it (CTRL+C) and paste it (CTRL+V) and place it parallel to the original. You will make a very good copy. And after that just connect them by adding 2 lines to make a sector. This is the best method in your situation

GENIUS!! Your solution isn't perfect because in this situation the curves are different angles (because without the curves they are different lines) however you gave me enough information to find the solution: 

Just create the curve and then copy and paste it. I didn't know that you could copy / paste lines defs. I thought that was only for sectors + things etc. Wow, happy to have this solved. Thank you. 

Still wondering if you can register three connected line defs to be manipulated as a single line. Anyone?

I'm glad that my info helped you!

25 minutes ago, PeterMoro said:

Still wondering if you can register three connected line defs to be manipulated as a single line. Anyone?

Sorry, I don't know about this (I just never tried it). BUT I remember that you can create "connected sectors".

You could try to do something with this feature to get connected line defs.

What do you mean by connected linedefs? The linedefs end from one vertex to another. In order to connect them - i. e. make them one linedef, just remove the vertex. Once made a curved one, the linedef is no longer one, it's multiple linedefs separated by the vertexes. That's how a computer makes a circle - a programmer behind this username. So please explain what you wanna say, because it doesn't seem very clear. 

Instead of removing vertexes in the way, in straight lines you can simply drag one to the next one. That's how a sector can be closed. Of course, this will create ugly lines and you should make more vertexes to fix them. I don't know how that works with curve ones, but I remember doing such a thing on them too - connect the ends of the curve with another line, place vertexes one by one on it and then drag them to the vertex I needed. That's how I fixed a few of my linedef overlaps and sectors that weren't closed. Still I'm learning and mostly using my education as an engineer lol. (I first was an engineer and then turned to be a programmer. Long story.) 

The way you've created the quadrant all you need is connect the separated lines with straight ones and the quadrant will be perfectly finished. 

Why not just make sure the second line does not create vertices when you draw it over the original? Similar to the above, just make two connected lines, with two of the vertices where they need to end up, the third somewhere so that there is no intersect. Then delete the middle vertex so that you have a straight line. Then curve.

5ae3126b3f0fc_Curve1.JPG.8081efcf5883346018e009d706bc23a2.JPG5ae3126be031d_Curve2.JPG.1d2b82527164fbce131847e670fdf752.JPG5ae3127423675_Curve4.JPG.2c65070c70e9e53768a00da690bb6111.JPG5ae3127095cc2_Curve3.JPG.20f093ae98baf69d608e8dea0c60bbd4.JPG

@HAK3180 I do it this way too, but  I measure the width from the middle so that the two lines could easily fit if I haven't set them right. Also, for some reason, you can't really make a vertical S like that. Or just I can't make it. 

1 hour ago, skillsaw said:

This is how I do it...

Step 1. Have a curve.

1xQA5xV.png

Step 2. Put some vertices down where the curve needs to be.

tETKrTW.png

Step 3. Move the vertices off to the side somewhere.

rnDDk4Z.png

Step 4. Connect them with a line.

NpK79Fy.png

Step 5. Curve tool.

1k8Tlbj.png

Step 6. Place in the correct position.

jFuPJuf.png

Then, you can draw the rest of the sector as desired, and use the make sector tool if necessary (if Doom Builder doesn't properly close the sector when you draw the remaining lines in).

Wow! This is definitely the best way to do it!!!! So easy and without disrupting the rest of the map too. Thank you!

@HAK3180

Great idea and i tried this kind of thing a lot myself, however I found it's not so practical because :

The beginning and ending vertices are within sectors and usually the 'corner' of the two line defs fall into null space or other sectors, which makes the line get extra vertices and thus become uncurvable. So it only really works when both line defs are drawn in null space like in your example. Thanks for your help though. 

Phobos at 2018.04.27 22-38-51.866 [R2787].jpg

Phobos at 2018.04.27 22-40-00.154 [R2787].jpg

Edited by PeterMoro

Ah, I see. Well, just a general tip: as far as I can tell, when you draw a line, it will only create vertices at lines it overlaps when you first draw it.

Also, if you hold control when you draw a line, it will not create vertices at lines it overlaps.

2 hours ago, boris said:

Simply use the stair sector builder:

grafik.png.7816931d91ce7bee214dbbba3c8d6a1c.png

OMG I hadn't thought of that, that's awesome! I think this could be the best and easiest solution!! Thank you!