Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Moustachio

Interception II (31 New Levels for Doom II - Live on idgames)

@marver0PS Did you find any good documentation for UMAPINFO that I can reference? When I made the lump, all I could find was one post on the second page of an old Doomworld thread.

Got the same bug, but it doesn't look like the block for MAP06 has anything strange going on with the "next = " line.

@Moustachio

Map09:

• Texture transition to this switch is jarring, maybe add some metal support relief.
  • The trap door in the final room lowers too slow and can lock the players out, this should probably be closed immediately, may require rework of the conveyor. also should be changed to open after the final bars open.
  • 100% -able

Map10:

• No issues, this map has been thoroughly worked on.

Map11:

• Annoying little belled in the underbelly segment, could never find and fix it.
  • all the wire pillars (1155-1165 i believe) are brightness of 192, needs to be 144).
  • I think 100% -able, I got 600 of 601 kills and could not for the life of me find the last bugger, so im not sure here.

@DFF I made sure the doors on the last MAP09 trap open up in a recent revision, but I can make them open up a little bit quicker. Other than that, I should be able to get to work grinding out all the rest of the bullet points over the weekend.

Sounds great. The opening speed is not as much of an issue as the speed of which it closes, since the player can escape potentially nullifying the trap.

On map 9 some monsters get conveyored past the teleport line without actually teleporting in. Playing in zdoom, no mods.

Great episode, i'm on MAP24 now and i'm enjoying it very much. On MAP21 i had to IDCLIP to get the red key and then again later (even looking at the map in the editor i'm not sure how it's supposed to work). There were some demons sunk into the floor and i fell down since i didn't get the rocket launcher next to them before to make the floor rise.

Holy carp, map 11 was frigging amazing! Still not sure what those lowering crates in secrets were supposed to do, but I found and killed everything :)

Map 12: Two pinkies and a hellknight don't teleport in for some reason. Found all the secrets.

Edited by Firedust

1 hour ago, Firedust said:

Holy carp, map 11 was frigging amazing! Still not sure what those lowering crates in secrets were supposed to do, but I found and killed everything :)

Map 12: Two pinkies and a hellknight don't teleport in for some reason. Found all the secrets.

There are four crates in the map, If you find them all it opens the yellow forcefield control room by the exit, allowing you to run that additional gauntlet with the System Shock 2 secret.

12 minutes ago, DFF said:

There are four crates in the map, If you find them all it opens the yellow forcefield control room by the exit, allowing you to run that additional gauntlet with the System Shock 2 secret.

Oh, that was supposed to be a System Shock 2 reference? Never played it so I wouldn't know! I did get access to the yellow forcefield room, so I guess I found them all :)

20 hours ago, Moustachio said:

@marver0PS Did you find any good documentation for UMAPINFO that I can reference? When I made the lump, all I could find was one post on the second page of an old Doomworld thread.

Got the same bug, but it doesn't look like the block for MAP06 has anything strange going on with the "next = " line.

I believe this is an actual bug in the port. Putting "endgame = false" but no endpic will cause this crash, whereas I believe the correct behavior would be to proceed to the next level.

I believe this is caused by the fact that the finale handler will check for the presence of any nonzero character in the first position of the endpic string as evidence that the endgame should be triggered, but "endgame = false" will copy a "-" into endpic, triggering those conditions to evaluate true.

The fix is either to nullify the first character of endpic when "endgame = false" token is detected or modify the zeroth character endpic checks to look for a character that isn't '-'. I'll see which fix the authors prefer.

@JadingTsunami It seems that getting rid of the "endgame = false" lines on each map with a text screen after fixes it. Would it be better to remove all those redundant "endgame = false" lines completely?

Just now, Moustachio said:

@JadingTsunami It seems that getting rid of the "endgame = false" lines on each map with a text screen after fixes it. Would it be better to remove all those redundant "endgame = false" lines completely?

Strictly speaking, those lines are only required to override an existing endgame level (for example, if you want MAP30 to proceed seamlessly into MAP31), so it's safe to remove them.

Future versions of the PrBoom-Plus port with UMAPINFO support will have the fix for the issue. But, removing those lines will ensure compatibility with existing binaries so I would recommend it.

Very much enjoying INTERCEPTION II so far, thanks to everyone involved! Still only on MAP07 but I'm having a total blast. Appreciate the time and skill involved

@Moustachio

sorry for my long abscence, have been wrapped up with projects and a new job. Hopefully the final edit has not been uploaded yet, but i'll try to give more feedback within a short time frame here.

Map12:

• No major errors I recall, only change i'd make is to set lines 1000 and 984 (teleporters in red key nuke room) to block monsters so the pinkies don't teleport onto the ledge where they are useless/block rev missiles.
  • this map is too heavy on the shotgun shells, was at 50+ shells and almost 100 shells for majority of the map and ended with 90, 2 shell boxes and maybe a couple 4 shells could easily be removed and still have ample ammo, probably from later segments. this was also with all secrets so bear that in mind
  • 100%-able

Map13:

• On the inner wall of the pylon in the plasma gun secret (line 2669 and 2670 abouts, not sure) has some very minor bleeding, hardly noticeable but there
  • Also hard to see, but the vines in the entrance of the secret switch in the forest room is clipping into the ground. Make sector 885 brightness like 145 or 143 or 140, as long as its different.
  • Sectors 210 and 212 (pylons) have the wrong upper texture and is only noticeable when they shut at the very end and the player backtracks. Change the upper STEP4VK2 textures to DFF_SS10
  • Also the seaweed in the aquatic zone is a really nice touch, I like that.
  • 100% -able

Map14:

• Door lines on the yellow door by the main lift (line 670 and 1232) are not doortrack and not unpegged.
  • 100%-able

idk if i'll do more today, possibly. i'll just keep making posts until i'm done. I'll also update the photo drive, put them in CH2

Ammo balance and health feels a bit overabundant for UV, over the last 3 maps, with secrets, I was full on bullets and shells, half on cells and rockets, and a good chunk of the time was spend with 100-200% health and armor. Granted this is with all secrets. I think ammo is more of an issue than health. This may not be an issue but thought i'd bring it up.

Edited by DFF

Thanks, DFF! I pushed through an update already just to fix the soft-locks, but there shouldn't be a problem with addressing the remaining small bugs in one last update in about a month. Unless a game-breaker is found, I think now would be a good time to take a break from this wad personally. I'll probably poke around for bugs here and there as time goes on, and I already addressed a few new ones in the latest update.

So I guess now's a good time to mention that the idgames link is now up-to-date! If you've already got it, now's the time to re-download.

Gotcha, was not sure if you had made an official re-relase yet. Personally I feel there are a lot of kinks to still iron out, but taking a break may be a good thing indeed.

I'll hold off doing more bugtesting then. This has been a very hectic and troubled project, but i'm very glad it finally got a very strong release. Personally having replayed the first half of the mapset for bugtesting I still feel like a lot of the maps present are generally pretty fun and well designed maps, and majority of them have a very unique and distinct style to them. I'll always appreciate the work done on this project and whether or not other people like or dislike the mapset, i'll always consider it a rather top-notch one.

map11 ...

1. Render error where line 17246 is and sectors 3507, 3175, 3854 and 3858 ceilings, easily fixed.

2. A Risen3D bug, but easily addressed. When sector 1394 has lowered, player can see through the 1 sided lines.

Can be fixed, without any negative consequences, by just making sector 1392 have a floor/ceiling height of 0.

Map13 ...

1. Sectors 685 and 690 have the wrong ceiling flat. Should be METFSQ03.

2. Sector 850 needs to be tagged 83.

Map14 ...

Lines 670 and 1232 not lower unpegged - not a good look with BRONZEG1.

Map15 ...

1. Line 2694 and sector 431 needs to be tagged. Lift.

2. Tex offset issue lines 3803, 3802, 3801.

3. Sector 536's tag can be removed.

map17 ...

1. Remove lower unpegged from lines 280, 995 etc.

2. Offsets on lines 751, 722 and 732 differ from the others similar.

3. Increase ceiling height of sector or lower floor height of sector
249. Sky occlusion when looking at sector 416 from sector 249 or 203 (especially sector 203).

4. Any reasons why the floors of sectors 295 etc. and 415 need scrolling/ moving things ?

map20 ...

1. Note the ceiling of sectors 939 and 941.

2. The back sidedef textures of lines 6702, 6703 need a Y alignment.

3. Needed a mirror/reversed texture WARNVRAK for line 3812.

map22 ...

Why not a pickup reward for finding secret sector 274 on medium and easy skills ?

map23 ...

1. Lines 421, 5045/5110, 6657, 5289 need to be flagged impassible.

2  Lines 1148 - 1151 need MIDBARS4 on their back-sidedefs.

3. Unwanted mid texture line 1353.

4. Render and floor height issue with sector 1206. The front sidedefs of lines 7097 to 7100

should have been assigned to sector 84.

5. Missing lower sidedef texture line 5137 - HOM.

6. Mid Tex on lines 1229 and 3981 bleed into the floor in software.

7. SERIOUS - I fell into sector 572 before crossing the lines at sector 41.

I suggest having similar lines that are around sector 566.

8. Can walk through MIDBARS3 when at sector 895.

map24 ...

1. Lines 1815, 3247, 3246 etc. use the skull texture, yet there are no skullkeys in the level.

2. Seems impossible to get to secret sector 241, unless use jump.

map27 ...

1. Monsters at sectors 144 and 162 are stuck in each other on easy skill.

2. Many instances where MIDGRATE bleeds into the floor in software.

3. Why not have the same linetype on line 1993 as is on line 4568 ?

4. Wrong floor flat sectors 915 and 104. Should be RROCK03.

5. T1464 cannot teleport due to its radius. Suggest using line 10817 as an additional teleport line.

6. When at sector 2783, the player cannot access teleport line 2648.

7. Line 6300 side 2 needs an X offset of 8 and line 6299 an x offset of -1.

map28 ...

Back-side lower of line 14269 could have been ROCK12.

map30 ...

Sector 1115 should have had a ceiling height of 224, not 242. See ceiling height of sector 1112.

map30B - This map can be deleted, as is a copy of map30.

That's it. Tested on easy skill.

Edited by hawkwind

I will go ahead and update the levels sometime this weekend when I have time. About MAP30B, it's a copy of MAP30 with the dehacked nazi replaced with a DECORATE clone. This is just so that monster mods don't break the final boss encounter.

I think if I can come up with some ZScript to replace the dehacked nazi on MAP30 when loaded in GZDoom, that would let me get rid of MAP30B.

Sure thing, @DFF, in that case I could just update the wad on Google Drive this Sunday and just push out the idgames update when it's settled.

Up to Map 04, HMP.

Nice aesthetic, cool tunes, fun to shoot through.

MAP 03 music had me thinking of this for some reason.....

@Moustachio This is a long one so only 1 for now

Map15:

• Line 499 is missing its mid texture
  • Lines 6421, 6426, and 3679 are misaligned (there were a few more but these were the most egregious/noticeable)
  • Lines 6227, 6233, 6229, 6444-6446 are all lower unpegged (secret berserk lift northern part of the map), not sure if any or all of these are supposed to be unpegged but currently the metal and the doortrack all move with the lift.
  • Similarly line 5666, 5668 and 5669 are all lower unpegged too (lamp post secret) and move with the floor.
  • Line 5263 has the wrong upper and lower texture.
  • Sector 431 and line 2694 (lift) do not work in PRboom+, simple fix would be to tag the line and sector together.
  • Sector 682 is a death pit, and while hard to fall into, maybe could use a teleporter out like the rest just to alleviate slight player frustration sake, since some people really despise unescapable death pits, a minor decision though and probably fine as is.
  • I think 100% -able, missed 1 pickup but i'm going to assume its getable. Very hard to UV max due to all the items and secrets but doable (once the lift is fixed above) 
  • Ammo balance is very finely done, where pistol start this map is just barely enough to scrape by for most of the map, probably fine for continuous. The second half of the map is a bit bullet starved ( Past the red door onto the blue key). I think adding an ammo box right after the blue door (sector 724 for example) and one more going into the blue key area (sector 208 perhaps) could be beneficial to the player. 5 or so more rockets outside maybe but not necessary.

I think that's everything, hope I didn't miss anything since it was one of the longer maps in the set like mine. I'll upload new pictures to the old photo drive, let me know if you need a relink.

Map31:

• I decided to kill the cybers rather than dodge and solve the puzzle, i'm sure its intended to let the player choose either option. After killing the cyberdemons I found I had 30 spare rockets, not sure if you want to reduce this or leave as is, it is a secret level so leaving with some goodies isn't unheard of.
  • the one secret is interesting, but I think for 100% players or your average joe the "timer" trigger is too slow. in PRboom+ it took just shy of 11 minutes to activate, I beat the map in 5 minutes, nobody is gonna want to wait an extra 5 minutes running around trying to figure out this secret. I'd suggest halving the distance or doubling the speed so it lowers at 5 minutes. Another alternative to the rocket ammo overflow issue, since some may ignore the cybers and leave with 100 rockets, is to remove all but a few rockets. Add like a 5 box at each keen section (and maybe like a clip just in case) so there's no way the player can kill any of the 3 cybers. but add a switch in the exit that lowers the secret, granting a BFG instead of a plasma gun (or keep the plasma, and like 300+ cells and maybe even a soulsphere. this rewards players to go back and fight the cybers and not leave with full rockets. an idea. I definitely think at lest the conveyor needs to be sped up.

Map16:

• Line 2568 has some weird tutti-frutti going on, or one of those lines.
  • Map is a bit bare on health, I think a couple more stims in the northern and northwestern area would be beneficial.
  • I like the idea of the later half of this WAD being plentiful on shells but the other ammo types being rarer and more useful to save. with that said you could easily take out a lot of shells in the northern areas as well and still have plenty. I'd suggest removing about 50, and maybe toss in some bonuses and clips into the northwestern area (yellow key) to add some substance to the rooms, maybe even some gore as they are somewhat bare.

@Moustachio

Map17:

• No glaring issues, some minor texture misalignment on the lifts by the northeastern building (sector 106, maybe could use some supp relief if deemed necessary)
  • 100% -able

Map18:

• some tutti-frutti oddity near line 2698
  • sectors 518, 521-525 have the wrong ceiling texture (assumed to be like sector 520)
  • line 2833 seems to be the wrong texture, looks odd. I think should be brick
  • secret sector 15 seems too rewarding for how simple it kinda is, I'd just remove the blue armor since a cell pack and a berserk is a good reward for a clever ledge jump).
  • 100% -able

Map19:

• no big issues, some texture misalignment near sector 432 on the walls (metal1) and somewhere else i can't recall, seems fine.
  • 100% -able

@Moustachio

Somehow I managed to get softlocked in MAP23, in the very same place that was already mentioned in this thread. But from what I read here I understand it was supposed to be fixed? I played this with latest lzdoom, using the version that is currently hosted onto idgames.

BJE7dVf.webp

Spoiler

Are you sure you are using version 1.1 ? The wad should be dated 9/9/20. The sector you are trapped in is a lift sector. Just now tried it and it worked for me. Not trapped.

Edited by hawkwind

Yeah, I’m pretty sure it’s 1.1. If you want to double check, the md5 checksum of my version is:

cb0bc1da27cdf655865ed08023ca0449 *intercep2.wad

The lift worked once, but after I dropped down the second time I got stuck.

That's weird. A lift should always return to its starting position. And it is a once only lift action.

What source port are you using ?

I just did a checksum on my file. I have the same.

Edited by hawkwind

I’m playing with LZDoom 3.86a. I’m 90% sure the mods I use are cosmetic only and shouldn’t affect gameplay.

@Moustachio In MAP27, I somehow managed to either jump over the railing of the container ship, or went though some gap – I believe this is another softlock. I’ll try to upload a short clip from the demo later.

(Also MAP28 makes me consider giving up. 🙄 There’s so many tight arenas with a metric ton of monsters, it’s just not fun.)