Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Technicalgerm8

Making Survival Map in GZdoom

Question

I made a small map in gzdoom builder called Shrine Strife, I wanted to make a map that focused exclusively on combat and is partly inspired by the Reelism mod.

My goal with this map was to make an endless survival map where you fight enemies as long as possible. so far its doing well enough in reaching that goal but I want to polish it up a bit more.

RDnn0Hg.png

d9rjKEY.png

for those with more experience in gzdoom builder what do you think I can do to improve this map abit more?

ShrineStrife_A.zip

2 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

Potential improvements:

- Masterminds - did you test this? They get instantly stuck.

- Place teleporter pads or something marking where the enemies will spawn from

- Make the doorways much wider. You can camp there with no consequence (until your ammo starts to deplete)

- Make the difficulty progressive - easy at first, harder later, until it spawns only boss monsters or something.

- Add an in-game on-screen timer so you can see your 'progress'
- Custom music, please!

- The brightness is notably low

- Make ammo boxes spawn on occasion - especially rockets.

- Make megaarmor / soulsphere / megsphere super rare pickups for more variety

- Possibly make the map 'modify it's layout on the fly' to make it more interesting. For example, have the house lower into the floor for a minute or two, or add a maze that rises from the floor
- Occasional 'bosses' - a single AV, a cyberdemon, etc?
- The house roof is a 3D floor (unless I'm mistaken, I've not looked in an editor) - perhaps place enemies on top on occasion?

- I got bored at about 5 mins in but perservered to 10 mins to see if I enjoyed it any more. I feel taking some/all of the above comments on board will make this much more enjoyable overall :)

b2f36dccf28db11d62d5498875496c82.png

7b99d0ade232a4d54e6025a6049fd480.gif

Edited by Dragonfly

2 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Potential improvements:

- Masterminds - did you test this? They get instantly stuck.

- Place teleporter pads or something marking where the enemies will spawn from

- Make the doorways much wider. You can camp there with no consequence (until your ammo starts to deplete)

- Make the difficulty progressive - easy at first, harder later, until it spawns only boss monsters or something.

- Add an in-game on-screen timer so you can see your 'progress'
- Custom music, please!

- The brightness is notably low

- Make ammo boxes spawn on occasion - especially rockets.

- Make megaarmor / soulsphere / megsphere super rare pickups for more variety

- Possibly make the map 'modify it's layout on the fly' to make it more interesting. For example, have the house lower into the floor for a minute or two, or add a maze that rises from the floor
- Occasional 'bosses' - a single AV, a cyberdemon, etc?
- The house roof is a 3D floor (unless I'm mistaken, I've not looked in an editor) - perhaps place enemies on top on occasion?

- I got bored at about 5 mins in but perservered to 10 mins to see if I enjoyed it any more. I feel taking some/all of the above comments on board will make this much more enjoyable overall :)

b2f36dccf28db11d62d5498875496c82.png

7b99d0ade232a4d54e6025a6049fd480.gif

Thanks for taking the time to tell me this, sorry about the issues its the first map I've made in anything. I'll look into adding a timer or score hud. and see what I can do to add the other suggestions to the map.

Again thanks for the feedback! :)