Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Leninova

Female Protagonist in the new Doom movie?

http://hu.ign.com/doom-reboot/36960/news/noi-foszereploje-lesz-a-doom-rebootnak

Okay, I read this on IGN Hungary, and I haven't found the global link, but probably it doesn't matter, since: 

The title says it all. 

To be honest, I'm not against the idea... mostly. However, noticing the signs of a possibly uncool, sh*tty movie just blows my mind. Actors who are not known to be great, a director who is rather untalented than good, only DVD release and so on. Also, there may be some feminist propaganda behind it.

To tell you: 5 days ago I wrote a comment on Reddit, as I told people what I don't want to see in the movie. Such as feminist, transgenders, homosexuals, black rights and so on. I wanna a movie about killing demons with a good story and a badass marine instead of seeing more modern cr*ps which makes every normal person triggered!!!

Dudes... I'm on the way to totally lose my faith!  :(

13 minutes ago, BlackDahlia1997 said:

Also, there may be some feminist propaganda behind it.

[...] what I don't want to see in the movie. Such as feminist, transgenders, homosexuals, black rights and so on. I wanna a movie about killing demons with a good story and a badass marine instead of seeing more modern cr*ps which makes every normal person triggered!!!

mmm, that's the good shit right here.

I saw this post by OP a short while ago, in the pics thread.

3 hours ago, BlackDahlia1997 said:

This world is not ready for my ugliness. LMAO

Apparently she must have changed her mind. 

(edit: fixed) 

7 minutes ago, an_mutt said:

mmm, that's the good shit right here.

I'm glad I'm not the only one here who wants things to go as they supposed to be, rather than being corrupted

8 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

I saw this post by OP a short while ago, in the pics thread.

Apparently he must have changed his mind. 

I'm a woman. LOL. 

And no, I didn't change my mind. 

And please, mind your own business. It's not your problem, I was only honest, end of story. 

Edited by BlackDahlia1997 : addition

I'd rather wait to watch the movie (like in the Duke Nukem case) and see if the movie is worth the wait. Any controversies around it are just to drag attention to it but hey, it better be good or these speculations will be moot...

I have a weird idea:

Perhaps we can get a Doom movie about the other marines involved during the invasions, I'd like to know what those useless twats are up to whilst I'm doing literally everything.

Hell, make it about Bravo Team for christ sakes, just don't make it about the one mega turbo marine does everything because you just can't Doomguy correctly in film.

As for the lead being a woman, sure whatever, I like tough chicks anyway, OP you should also chill out it'll be fine.

While its true that the doomguy may be lacking in character, cant they base him off the comic version? I have never actually read the comics, but im guessing his identity is more fleshed out there, so it seems like a good place to start.

That said, I think it would be cool to have a black doomguy, there is no problem there. I mean, IDK what the big deal is, if he is one race rather than the other. And as for a female protagonist? Personally, I really dont care as long as it is executed well. Nothing wrong with being inclusive if it works well in the movie. thats just my opinion, anyways. Lets be honest though, does anybody really expect this movie to be good at all? I think everybodys expectations are low already.

Bringing identity politics into the discussion this early is premature and absurd. There's just not enough info yet to jump to any major conclusions.

Between the other new Doom movie thread and now this one, c'mon DW stop being toxic for a bit.

6 minutes ago, Grain of Salt said:

tumblr_oyehu5FRsg1vv1etio1_1280.png

Are you an activist here, or what? 

Look, I don't have too much problem with you people until you keep your stuff away from me. If you don't, you have to hear my opinion too. Fair play, right?

Male or female protagonist doesn't make a difference for me lol

IMO, the movie would work better if they go for a Mad Max-like route. A story that it is more about showing instead of telling, with very good setpieces where the spectator feels how frightening hell is and the risks are always high. Instead, we'll probably get a very standard and undoomy movie, like the first one.

Not sure why having a female lead sets off alarm bells of potential gender politics.

Personally, I couldn't care less.  Doom Guy is pretty much a tabula rasa so whether the character's black, white, yellow, brown, albino, green, born male, born female, pre-op trans, post-op trans, transvestite, homosexual or asexual it shouldn't preclude the fact that they can be a valid protagonist.  

As long as there're demons from hell and lots of shooting, I'll be happy.

@BlackDahlia1997, just what in the world are you going on about? When I saw the announcement of female leads, I thought, "Huh, that's unexpected." But here you are flipping out. Just calm down pal. No one really knows anything yet.

6 minutes ago, BlackDahlia1997 said:

Are you an activist here, or what? 

Look, I don't have too much problem with you people until you keep your stuff away from me.

Ah yes, everything's fine as long as you only have to see your own stuff.

Welcome to Ultra Progressive World. Enjoy your stay!

Initially, I wasn't going to say anything because I probably wouldn't even watch the movie but...

56 minutes ago, Eris Falling said:

radical suggestion but I could see a Doom movie working better if Doomguy isn't the main protagonist, there's no character there for that to really work in a film context. I like the idea of Doomguy instead being a mystery - it's neither man or woman, black or white, gay or straight etc etc, and no one knows what's really under that helmet. Then you could have more normal central characters as protagonists and if they're female or black then whatever, who cares. Doomguy would still of course have to be a very important character in the story, but it's better left without forcing a character into someone that has none imo.

Words cannot describe how much I agree with this. That's really all I want to say.

K thx bye.

Who said I'm not calm? Jeeez... 

I've told you, I don't really have a problem with this. A badass chick? Why not!

I'm just afraid, the opposite is gonna happen here. Like with the Ghostbusters movie. That was bad as hell! Do I want that catastrophe again? Of course not!

Look at it this way. Most likely the movie is going to suck. So it's good that it will have as little to do with the game we love as possible.

I wasn't going to watch it anyway.  It's a movie loosely based on a video game.  It's going to be bad. 

Will hang onto my money, thank you very much.  I've got bills to pay.

I'm not against female protagonists. I'm against a female protagonist in a DOOM movie... like it needs to be DoomGUY. If this is true then the movie will 100% suck for fans of the games, and will actually make the first Doom movie look really good.

13 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

Including women is a clear sign it will be a terrible movie, unlike the first Doom movie, which was also terrible.

Are you serious by this statement? Just asking.

1 hour ago, BlackDahlia1997 said:

To tell you: 5 days ago I wrote a comment on Reddit, as I told people what I don't want to see in the movie. Such as feminist, transgenders, homosexuals, black rights and so on. I wanna a movie about killing demons with a good story and a badass marine instead of seeing more modern cr*ps which makes every normal person triggered!!!

Dudes... I'm on the way to totally lose my faith!  :(

What did you wrote? Can you link it?

Like what Nevander said, I'm not against female characters / protagonists in film or in gaming. However, in the case of certain characters, it's best to leave them as they were originally. For Doomguy, leave it ambiguous. For... I don't know, James Bond, for example, leave him as a guy, not a chick. On the flip side, don't turn Ellen Ripley into a guy.

If this Doom female protagonist does go through, it'll just be political correctness doing its, frankly, annoying job.