Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Leninova

Female Protagonist in the new Doom movie?

Make the doomguy be mute and wear the power armor until the last scene. There will be like 25 variants of the unmasking scene that will be sent to various cinemas at random. That way the OP's city could get the manly straight Aryan hero who is obviously the only person that can steal his heart, save the universe and protect our children's future from toxic waste... or it could be a Polynesian chick. And he won't know until he sees the movie in its entirety. No refunds lol try the next town, but take the bus, it's not safe to drive while crying.

I love it how 95% of people I met on the internet follow this logic.

"Female actor => Confirmed as lead character === OMG ITS GOING TO BE A PC DOOMGAL WTF!?!?!?!?"

Chill, no one said anything about a Doomgal, I checked the news, a lead character can be anyone, a regular space marine, a researcher, a civ, who knows? It's a movie! And I mean it, no one said anything about the lead character being Doomguy or Doomgal. It could be a researcher who got a good idea to wake up Doomslayer though, who would still be a war-machine that surpasses humanity and limits of rage... whilst having a female actor be a lead character, whilst having a good movie at the same time.

Either way, yall should chill, we don't even have a trailer yet!

6 minutes ago, mun said:

Are you serious by this statement? Just asking.

I’m always deadly serious about dumbass Doomworld threads.

2 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

I’m always deadly serious about dumbass Doomworld threads.

k.

4 minutes ago, Poncho said:

Like what Nevander said, I'm not against female characters / protagonists in film or in gaming. However, in the case of certain characters, it's best to leave them as they were originally. For Doomguy, leave it ambiguous. For... I don't know, James Bond, for example, leave him as a guy, not a chick. On the flip side, don't turn Ellen Ripley into a guy.

Totally agree.

3 minutes ago, Vorpal said:

It would be unprecedented for a movie involving space marines and deadly bloodcrazed creatures to feature a female lead, right?

Ellen_Ripley.jpg

Except Ripley has always been female, that's how we enjoy the character. Doomguy has always been male, that's how it is. And yes, Doomguy was always male. There's a mugshot, box art, and in-game graphics to prove it. Plus DOOM 2016 clearly states we are male many times.

It's at times like these that I wish I had that Doomguy667 screed about Doomguy being a man because Doom is a man's game for men (or whatever nonsense he was on about) so I could just paste it here.

P.S. If you're losing your shit because a movie did a thing you didn't like? You probably shouldn't be calling other people triggered.

38 minutes ago, BlackDahlia1997 said:

Who said I'm not calm? Jeeez... 

I've told you, I don't really have a problem with this. A badass chick? Why not!

I'm just afraid, the opposite is gonna happen here. Like with the Ghostbusters movie. That was bad as hell! Do I want that catastrophe again? Of course not!

I think it was more on the acting that was bad ad unfitting and less about the gender chosen for the roles.

Two pages in and I feel like we’ve all really slept on the most important part of this thread, the part where OP said that it would be too “politically-correct” for black people to have rights

39 minutes ago, BlackDahlia1997 said:

Who said I'm not calm? Jeeez... 

I've told you, I don't really have a problem with this. A badass chick? Why not!

I'm just afraid, the opposite is gonna happen here. Like with the Ghostbusters movie. That was bad as hell! Do I want that catastrophe again? Of course not!

If you didn't have a problem, you wouldn't have dedicated a thread to it. 

41 minutes ago, BlackDahlia1997 said:

you literally made a thread complaining about the next (possible) Doom movie having a female protagonist, so you clearly have a big problem with it. Go away.

4 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

Two pages in and I feel like we’ve all really slept on the most important part of this thread, the part where OP said that it would be too “politically-correct” for black people to have rights

I thought it was more of "not wanting to see those lessons inappropriately inserted into the film". Black rights are always important though :)

Now now, we don't necessarily have to suggest anyone who's being disruptive ought to scamper off. But I think it would be behoove one to not get so wrapped up in political paranoia.

48 minutes ago, BlackDahlia1997 said:

Like with the Ghostbusters movie. That was bad as hell! Do I want that catastrophe again? Of course not!

It's a perfectly good movie.

5 minutes ago, an_mutt said:

you literally made a thread complaining about the next (possible) Doom movie having a female protagonist, so you clearly have a big problem with it. Go away.

I don't think telling people to go away solves anything.

1 minute ago, mun said:

I thought it was more of "not wanting to see those lessons inappropriately inserted into the film". Black rights are always important though :)

What does this even mean? How would one even go about "inappropriately" inserting black people into a film about Doom? Is the film going to randomly turn into a Black Lives Matter rally 15 minutes in? 

The "I can't believe it's not a white male protagonist" brigade complains as if films featuring anything but them randomly insert massive gay orgies that have the characters look directly at the camera and insult every white male person watching the film. Which actually thinking about... would that really even be a bad thing if they did? I don't know about you, but that's the sort of artistic panache that I think we really need in this world.

Just now, Tarnsman said:

The "I can't believe it's not a white male protagonist" brigade complains as if films featuring anything but them randomly insert massive gay orgies that have the characters look directly at the camera and insult every white male person watching the film. Which actually thinking about... would that really even be a bad thing if they did? I don't know about you, but that's the sort of artistic panache that I think we really need in this world.

Wow what a great idea, very artistic, thats exactly what we need! Doom directors please take notes!!! 

I wouldn't mind seeing a movie from the demon's perspective. Maybe have Doomguy be the villain, who slaughters demons based on a deeply instilled fear and hatred of things that he just doesn't understand. Of course, this isn't going to happen, but it's nice to imagine. 

Just now, Tarnsman said:

What does this even mean? How would one even go about "inappropriately" inserting black people into a film about Doom? Is the film going to randomly turn into a Black Lives Matter rally 15 minutes in? 

You're right, I actually couldn't imagine it as well :)

But what I meant exactly was sometimes films put in meaningful lessons but doesn't have a graceful way of executing it, ultimately feeling like that lesson is forced. 

2 hours ago, BlackDahlia1997 said:

homosexuals

Idk the entire games are machoman alpha style fanservice, did you even see the cyber's sprites *swoons. 

Doesn't Doom take place in the future?

People really do think they're going to get away with gassing all of us, don't they...

To reflect a more plausible future, Doomguy should instead of being some great white alpha cipher, be a brown cyborg genderfluid all-purpose cat brained androbot. with cat ears and a tail. and retractable wings.

The problem with cultural conservative reactionaries is that they have no vision of the future, zero. No acceptance of progress. And blinders to the present.

An imagination that is for shit.

I'm not sure why anyone is this worked up about a Doom movie to begin with, honestly. Doom has always had a bare-bones story and the Doom marine is nothing more than a blank cipher for whoever's currently playing.

When you separate Doom from the experience of actually playing it and extrapolate what's left of it into a film, you've just got yet another movie about Tough Action Guy Shooting At Stuff, which isn't really very novel or exciting. Even if the main character is a woman.

Give me a movie about the doom marine crashing hell's christmas party and having a good time. Give me a movie about the lives of some bored imps waiting around for their turn in a forgotten monster closet. It would be better than whatever this is going to be.

27 minutes ago, Ajora said:

I wouldn't mind seeing a movie from the demon's perspective. Maybe have Doomguy be the villain, who slaughters demons based on a deeply instilled fear and hatred of things that he just doesn't understand. Of course, this isn't going to happen, but it's nice to imagine. 

I'd actually be very interested in such a movie.

As for the topic, I'm... unsure how to react. I think we should see where this is heading first...

Edited by Agent6

9 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

Give me a movie about the doom marine crashing hell's christmas party and having a good time. Give me a movie about the lives of some bored imps waiting around for their turn in a forgotten monster closet. It would be better than whatever this is going to be.

You could have a movie about the demons hanging out at Monster Condo, and playing games such as Hungry Hungry Hippos. 

11 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

Doom marine is nothing more than a blank cipher for whoever's currently playing.

This is the idea I love, but I feel like the games themselves kinda sabotaged this by showing stuff like the face and the arms to begin with. Even Doom 2016 made that mistake even though it tried to do the "Doom Marine = ???" concept.

Just now, Ajora said:

You could have a movie about the demons hanging out at Monster Condo, and playing games such as Hungry Hungry Hippos. 

You could do all sorts of things, yes! I'm not kidding at all when I say that I want an imps-in-a-monster-closet version of Waiting For Godot.

2 hours ago, BlackDahlia1997 said:

http://hu.ign.com/doom-reboot/36960/news/noi-foszereploje-lesz-a-doom-rebootnak

Okay, I read this on IGN Hungary, and I haven't found the global link, but probably it doesn't matter, since: 

The title says it all. 

To be honest, I'm not against the idea... mostly. However, noticing the signs of a possibly uncool, sh*tty movie just blows my mind. Actors who are not known to be great, a director who is rather untalented than good, only DVD release and so on. Also, there may be some feminist propaganda behind it.

To tell you: 5 days ago I wrote a comment on Reddit, as I told people what I don't want to see in the movie. Such as feminist, transgenders, homosexuals, black rights and so on. I wanna a movie about killing demons with a good story and a badass marine instead of seeing more modern cr*ps which makes every normal person triggered!!!

Dudes... I'm on the way to totally lose my faith!  :(

Sounds like you've rotted your brain on Reddit if a female lead in a movie has made you lose faith in everything. 

All it takes is a female lead in a movie, and it leads to all this speculation sparking this phobia you have towards others that you listed here.

Reminds me of all the idiots hating the new Star Wars films because "feminism". Like yeah, the original trilogy totally didn't have a strong female character in the main cast. 

If it's not a Samuel Beckett-esque film about two janitor types wandering around empty layouts placing weapons, monsters and gruesome decorations while they wait for Doomguy to arrive then I don't care what gender they are, you can count me out—I'm not interested.

15 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

I'm not kidding at all when I say that I want an imps-in-a-monster-closet version of Waiting For Godot.

My God, I hadn't even read this line. What a coincidence: that's two people who want to see this happen.

Storm the studios! 

Jesus people the movies gonna be shit whatever they do with it :V

2 hours ago, Average said:

Not sure why having a female lead sets off alarm bells of potential gender politics.

Past experience :D So many cases where characters are changed when there was no reason to.

I want a badass muscular Doomguy wrecking demons and ripping and tearing their heads off, not a "strong independent woman who don't need no man" wrecking demons. They're both stereotypes but I like the first one.

Well if the movie is good I will not have a problem but here's the thing ... the movie will fucking suck, we all know that, don't we? :D

So why change the hero into a female, first make a good Doom movie with a male lead lmao, stick to the basics