Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KevvyLava

Ultimate Doom Redux v1.0 [GZDoom]

I couldn't figure out how to get the yellow skull. I just assumed it was a megasphere or something. It never crossed my mind.

I'll check it out from pistol start and tell you what I thought of it.

There is a secret exit in map31? I may have a glitch in the mapinfo file, then. I always pointed both map exit defs to the next map (in case of map31, 32/32 instead of 16/32). But not 100% sure. Gotta check it.

It appears to work just fine for me.  Names are correct and everything.  Both exits operate correctly.  They're right next to each other.

Just ran through it. I suppose the thought did in fact run through my mind, because I remember noting that I was glad Slough of Despair hadn't appeared. Regardless, it was a nice little take on it. I liked the second level and the blood sea added to it, though the Commander Keen things seemed a little forced.

I thought it was my one chance to use Commander Keen since it was MAP32 but then later learned that any level with sectors tagged 999 will open if all the Keens are dead.  But I wanted it to be a little bonus idea.  Ah well. :)

I started implementing skill levels.  It won't be perfect, but there'll definitely be there.

I understand, I just don't like the idea of having something like that if it seems so out of place.

I've seen Epic 2 use the Keen things for specific puzzles, they were always just hidden where the player can't see them in normal play, so they have potential use. It might be something to put in Knee Deep in the Redux (not a bad name) if you decide to do that.

Hi all!  Question for anyone who knows how to do scripts.  There's a certain spot in one map where I want to have the player activate a switch and the floor instantly raise to a certain height.  The map is not UDMF.  The only time I ever got scripts working was using Doom Legacy and I don't remember how I even got the script embedded into the map in the first place.  Everything I did in this ended up being weird workarounds using ZDoom, Legacy, and I think a Vavoom tag or two.  All of the tutorials I have found seem to skip over basic questions that I have.  Using GZDoom Builder for everything.

Thanks to those that have given me feedback.  I'm considering editing the first episode to make it a little more polished and less tedious.  Stay tuned.  If anyone has any other recommendations on some slight modifications for Episode 2/3, let me know.  Most of it will stay as is.

I'm accustomed to DECORATE and ACS for scripting and dealing with ZDoom features, but I'm also aware of quite a few useful quirks that might solve your problem.

If all you want is the floor to raise to a specific height, then a control sector is in order to control the height to which the floor raises.

To make it raise instantly, if you're not using Doom-in-Hexen or UDMF, then action 102 (S1 Floor Lower to Highest Floor) will carry the day for you, as long as the highest floor is higher than the floor you want to move. Because the floor will "lower" to a point higher than itself, it will instantly move to that point.

Doom-in-Hexen and UDMF also support Boom's generic actions, which also make this a snap.

Action 200 (Floor Generic Change) will work for this. Tell the floor to target the highest neighboring floor and to lower, and it will function exactly the same.

They also support instant floor movements by value (Floor Raise Instantly by Value * 8), which you can also use for this, if you're in the format.

I just looked up Smooth Doom.  Seems interesting.  Let me know what you think.  I have some new ideas for the redone version of Episode 1, too.

Also, @Aquila Chrysaetos thanks for the tip on linedef 201.  Will try it tonight tonight.  The area I want to change is on House of Pain.  I don't recall if you played through the whole thing, but what I did on that level was set it up so when you came back to previous areas, they were entirely reformed.  Got the idea from Duke Nukem 3D's "Lunatic Fringe" level, where there is a 720-degree "double circle" that overlaps itself.  I made use of a lot of dummy sectors and 3D floors and I think I came up with some cool stuff, I think.

Edited by KevvyLava

yeah smooth doom is great i enjoy adding bolognese and some other tweaks i have made/found

also forgot to add this in my post 
i enjoyed the first episode a lot though some areas where a bit hairy with the amount of deaths feel like the computer station doesnt flow as well as the other maps and the extra keycards/skull complicated that hunt 

i did like the merge of e1m9 and e1m8 was a cool idea

onwards to episode 2!

Edited by ghostboy1225

On 2/8/2019 at 11:27 AM, KevvyLava said:

I don't recall if you played through the whole thing, but what I did on that level was set it up so when you came back to previous areas, they were entirely reformed.  Got the idea from Duke Nukem 3D's "Lunatic Fringe" level, where there is a 720-degree "double circle" that overlaps itself.  I made use of a lot of dummy sectors and 3D floors and I think I came up with some cool stuff, I think.

This can be done with less hackery using any of these: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/1101635

Or set up portals. If you want Zandronum compatibility, i can write a tutorial on how to use portals for this purpose, if you need.

Anyways, a gameplay mod i absolutely recommend for this is Super Skulltag, if you want to use it in (G)ZDoom and not Zandronum, use my Skulltag Emulation mod as a compatibility patch for it.

EP3 was ok the damaging floors shouldn't be blood as its confusing for players especially when there is blood in the same level that doesn't damage pandamonuim should also have a berserk pack near the level start incase your low on ammo else it turns into a shitfest

I appreciate the feedback!  I can see the confusion with the blood vs. slime or lava.  I think maybe I should dial back the nukage damage in all spots.  Makes parts annoyingly hard.  I'm in the process of redoing parts of episode 1 as is.  Parts of it (especially E1M7) are annoyingly wrong.  I think I actually did a great job on E1M6, but hey, it's easy to praise your own work, right? haha

i'm really enjoying this so far! although some of the secrets are frustrating, as i can't figure out a way of getting to them even if i know where they are (the megasphere in E1M6, the area outside the red key room in E1M2). anyway, i'm in E1M7 now, and if you stand here and start firing before you get the yellow key, enemies from behind the yellow door will open it for you.

edit: sorry, turns out i was actually still playing your standalone kditd episode, looks like this is fixed in the version in this thread.

Edited by Darnn

Thanks for the response Darnn.  And I'm glad you're having fun with it.  The megasphere in E1M6 is accessible by a shootable switch in the same room very close by.  Coincidentally, the outdoor area in E1M2 is a similar idea...shooting a wall.  But I suppose that it might not be obvious enough.  The idea was that you'd be shooting in the area and accidentally find it.  But I suppose I could plan it differently for my "final version" I'm working on.  Let me know if there is anything else you're coming across.  I appreciate the message.

I've just finished this, playing in Ultra Violence continuous format. Rather mixed impressions overall, but definitely an epic effort. Especially enjoyed your version of 'Refinery' with its mirror-image layout, also the combined 'Tower of Babel' and 'Spawning Vats' map and 'Mount Erebus' with elements of 'Limbo'. The way elements of various maps are spliced together throughout the wad is impressive. Great last level too, almost a 'Thy Flesh Consumed' highlights pack with a memorable IoS finale.

One or two things annoyed me, for example I felt that 'damaging floors' played an excessive role, especially in the later levels. You seem to use a particularly virulent type of nukage or lava at times, which slows the player down and can kill in just two or three seconds, even when one has a decent health level - not fun! That final run through over the damaging floor without a radsuit in 'House of Pain' is especially punishing, and I feel you need a 25% health pack or two in the chaingunner room. Also I'd mention the significant number of 'one chance' secrets - these are usually gone before you even realize they're there. Finally, placement of powerups: far too many in unavoidable positions, when you don't actually need them. The example below is the most spectacular instance, as the Megasphere was worth precisely 1% of both health and armour to me in that situation.

1684856302_ReduxMAP20.png.1f95bf839988fbec01e093e36e566540.png

Edited by Summer Deep

Thank you for the feedback and I'm glad you guys had a nice time playing through.  I am in the (slow) process of redoing parts of these to fix some balancing and some minor mapping issues, so I will absolutely take this into account.  But as a minor point of clarification, there is a rad suit in House of Pain near the end. :)

I recently watched a playthrough by @Mr. Meanor and he felt the same way you did on the 1-time secrets.  And also, after seeing his tactics against the demons on this, I can definitely see myself making a newer version soon that will force some players a bit out of their comfort zone. :D