Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

MAYhem 2018 - Orange Version!

On 5/8/2018 at 5:29 AM, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

I've no idea what this room is supposed to be, but I like it.

Maybe a part of the assembly you reach through the cavern? Some sort of a power reactor? 

I see what you've been busy with anyways. Looks interesting for now. 

So I just ran back through my map in GZDoom and I noticed that the grey slime (falls and liquid) still isn't animated.

It's not like I expected GZDoom to magically fix it, I just had to make sure I didn't do something wrong.

If the resource wad has been updated to fix this, then disregard this post. It's a minor thing anyway.

On 5/8/2018 at 8:55 PM, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Upload bump!

I don't like posting twice in a row, but I'll make an exception for this.

Here is my map.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/tlo88vox8bvpwcy/AC-MAYhem.wad

Note that it is not a stand alone, as I tested it in tandem with the resource wad.

Also, I've tested it on UV and I did alter things for the lower difficulties, but I have not run through them.

On top of that, I actually tested and beat it twice on UV (once without secrets and once with) to see the difference secrets make. It is staggering.

But, I've got it finished, so let me know what needs to be done to it and I will update it as soon as possible.

Nice. What I really like about this map is the wealth of content -- lots of secrets, lots of 'semi-optional areas' -- and the way all of it is structured.

I'll go through some things in chronological order:

- The green armor + radsuit secret feels like a 'reward for falling' if that makes any sense. I wouldn't have gone down there if I hadn't fallen through the crack on the platform, even if I saw the little tunnel. The green armor is quite a powerful secret early on, too, as with no secrets you are capped at 100H + 0A for a while. So maybe there could be a hint that it might be worth going down there. 

- If you jump to the ledge leading to the secret soulsphere and radsuit before triggering the shotgun, the imps in their pits won't raise and can block/scratch you. Also see how sector heights here blend into an indistinct blob of brown? This is why using multiple rocky textures is often better for gameplay -- helps the player read the scene more easily. I'd prefer a quick way to get back up to the main progression line after grabbing the secret. One thing a lot of secrets in this map have in common is that you have to backtrack all the way back around to where you're supposed to be headed after getting them. 

- Back on the main progression line, into the gray base: I feel like all the 64-wide openings here are detrimental to gameplay. Monsters don't path fluidly between rooms, so action ends up a bit slow and campy. The pinkies wandering around, particularly in the water pathways, feel like ammo taxes, as they can't threaten you at all when they are elevated like that. The player also should always have the ammo to deal with them. All the pinkies seem like they can never be effective here -- after killing the ones in the water, the player can kill some in adjacent rooms behind bars. I think imps would be both more satisfying to kill and feel less grindy. 

- Fun introduction to the shadows. Again, through 64-wide openings, but it works here because they are a bit scary and the doorways allow 'safety' at the expense of ammo efficiency. 

- The double rocket launcher secret feels like quite a powerful reward to be tucked away behind a nondescript pushwall like that. Seemed odd.

- Being able to hear the cybruisers stomping around from various locations is cool.

- This next area after the chaingun trap is a good example of what I was referring to early with the secrets. To grab the two secrets and continue with progression, realistically speaking you have to drop down and backtrack three separate times at minimum -- once to clean out the revs and stuff that would block the jump to the plasma rifle, once for the plasma rifle, once for the crate parkour to the armor. Convenience stairs or a lift leading back up to the tall ledge would be a plus. The secrets are cool though. 

- A small thing, but raiding the shotgunner ledges after the green key fight for what's pretty useful ammo is pretty satisfying. 

- Past the green key door now: the secret yellow skull jump is nice. 

- A stretch of SG grind comes afterwards: the two mancs in the adjacent room, which can be easily camped, are best disposed of with ample single shotgun ammo. (Bullets, rockets, and cells are best saved for something more dangerous.) Then there's a pair of cacos that pose little threat, and again it's not right to waste good ammo on them. I'd consider swapping out these duos for crunchier fights -- low-tiers, perhaps a red blob or two, like some of the fights at the start. The two cacos can at least be manipulated into infighting the revs, but the mancs have to be cleared lest they'll get in the way (ideally it'd be fun to set them on the cybruiser that appears shortly after, but that isn't too realistic). 

- The blue key trap. I left the room immediately, before I was even aware there was a cybruiser in the cubby behind, so I was exposed to basically no danger, and I didn't even feel I did anything special. Not sure if that is noteworthy in any way, but just a data point. Left them behind for now -- don't want to waste ammo killing them if I don't have to.

- Enjoyed the close-quarters combat en route to the SSG. There's another one of those low-tier + blob fights afterwards, fun.

- Hmm, a cybruiser setup designed for them to infight. Not sure how I feel about that, or the fact that they still in fact infight, but okay. That Hades elemental is terrifying. Wouldn't want to fight it without the benefit of the high-powered ammo I've been hoarding from previous secrets. The stuff behind the YSK door is a big plus, though, because now that I know it's there I wouldn't hoard rockets/plasma on a replay.

- I can envision a setup where the cybruisers don't infight and have to be left behind (due to lack of ammo), and then the Hades elemental can't be rushed past by hitting that switch ASAP, so the cybruisers fling rockets in while you are fighting it. Forcing that would be too mean for this map, but I thought it was what you were going for at first. 

- The lava fall stairway looks pretty cool. The last fight with the SMM is pretty anticlimactic. Was expecting lots more monsters to show up, expecting a more complex, hectic, bloody fight, but it was quite easy and chill. It's probably only exciting if you find no secrets, which results in having to rush past stuff to exit.

- Was able to find 8/9 secrets before checking the computer area map to see what I missed. There's an automap hint for the backpack, even without the area map, but I wasn't paying attention to it while in that area. Not a big deal though. 

Edited by rdwpa

3 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

*Thorough review*

Thank you.

Now, to respond to each point:

Green armor secret: I'm glad it came across that way. It actually worked out better when I added the soulsphere secret later because then it became possible to get to that without suffering damage, placing you in a much better position.

Imp pits: I really should fix that. No problem, I'll work on that. Thanks for the insight here.

Narrow openings: I'll widen those to 96 units. I wanted them cramped, but in hindsight, they are too cramped, really.

Pinkies: I'll either make them ambush the player or replace them with something else. I hate spectres in dark areas, which is why I used regular pinkies, but you've got a point. They aren't particularly dangerous unless you punch them (which I do, so I easily overlooked this).

Shadows: I'd actually only thrown them in because I wanted to see how big they actually were. I didn't think they really had a place in the map, but I think I've got an idea now.

Rapid rocket launcher: Good point. I really just added that one on impulse, so I'll probably replace it with something else, like a berserk pack there instead of at the end.

Cybruiser stomping: Complete accident. I'll leave it.

Crate room, plasma rifle, and blue armor secrets: I'll add a quick lift to make getting back up easier. It never occurred to me.

Green key trap: I agree. It was what I did on my runs. I never considered it, but I liked it, so I left it in.

Yellow key secret: Yeah, I thought it would be neat to have something like that.

SG grind: Hmm, you're right. It is boring to do, so I may replace the fatsos with a few more monsters of individually less threatening stature. The cacos I'll replace as well, but I'm not sure with what, since I liked having the revenants infight with them.

Blue key trap: I did the same thing except when I was secret getting. I don't think I'll change it, since it seems to work the way I wanted.

SSG fight: I'm glad this one worked out well.

Cybruiser room I: Hadn't considered the infighting. In retrospect, this is an incredibly brutal room, but I'm not sure if I should change it. The Hades Elemental outside really does complicate things and make it far harder than it was intended to be.

Cybruiser room II: The plan was to make the player run outside to get away from the wall. You're probably right, that it was too mean, because it does seem to require some foreknowledge.

Spider Mastermind: I'll fix that, then. I like the Mastermind and I wanted to use it, but if it doesn't work, then it doesn't work. I could move the Hades Elemental out there and that would provide a good climactic battle I figure.

Automap secret: This one's been plaguing my mind because it's at the end, and so is unnecessary. I figure this might be a better place for the rapid rocket launcher.

Overall, thank you for the detailed review, @rdwpa, I'll get right on fixing it.

Another double post for an upload bump.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/tlo88vox8bvpwcy/AC-MAYhem.wad

The link is the same because I just replaced the file, so the link in my original upload post is also correct.

Consider this alpha-2.

Changes: I replaced the pinkies with shadows, widened most of the tiny corridors (some are still 64 units wide, but there aren't many of those), added some (probably terrible) texture variety to the first cave, moved some monsters around, changed some encounters, inverted the positions of the rapid launcher and the automap so the latter is actually useful, and added a lift into the crate/reservoir room to get back up without backtracking.

I did not change the backtracking of the caves, though that switch in the base should minimize it in theory, though why you would backtrack at that point is beyond me, now that I consider it. The Hades Elemental is still present, but it is not on the other side of the first gate anymore. I moved it.

As a result of changing the encounters, the difficulties are now somewhat different, and the map should no longer be brutally difficult.

Some excellent stuff rolling in guys! I'll be sifting through it all this weekend now that things are a bit more sedate.

Oh, and also this:

image.png.ccd62a3e3a97ba889a585fbd9e6a3a06.png

Okay, I can't resist. I'll make a map for this. 🙂
The new monsters are too cool to pass up.

I've spotted a couple stray dark blue pixels on the Shadow sprite set that might need fixing. They're mostly visible on the pain and death animations (BSPII1, BSPIL0, BSPIM0).

I did a titlepic - if you like it, use it! Counterpart stored in the spoiler below. I will probably work on the dithered nonsense and tidy this up by hand but I'll save the effort in case you have something else in mind.

f8d0e8dd52fb83cc04298176e1b5785f.png

Spoiler

2948db1c7f412dad98485d75005ff202.png

Haha, that's brilliant! The only way I can think of to make them better is to have the purple one facing the other way, like how the Pokemon games usually do it.

Alright, I finally managed to tackle the maps that have been posted so far, so here's my quick thoughts:

@Redead-ITA Would I be right in assuming that this is one of your early maps? It has a somewhat basic look to the layout and decoration that leads me to believe that you're still finding your feet. As it stands it's not quite up to the standard that I'm looking for, but it's by no means bad and I'd strongly encourage you to keep honing your abilities. Apologies if this sounds any kind of mean. 😕 I can see potential here though and I'd encourage you to keep trying.

@Aquila Chrysaetos I'm slightly ashamed to admit that I haven't beaten your map yet. 😛 From what I've seen it's pretty downright solid: rdwpa's already done a more comprehensive breakdown than I ever could, so I'd recommend taking his advice.

@Crunchynut44 Diggin' it! Managed to beat it and find the secrets to boot. I'm kind of hard pressed to find any criticism honestly, it's an excellent piece of map: maybe a slightly more impactful or chaotic ending, but apart from that it's sweet!

1 hour ago, Obsidian said:

@Redead-ITA Would I be right in assuming that this is one of your early maps? It has a somewhat basic look to the layout and decoration that leads me to believe that you're still finding your feet. As it stands it's not quite up to the standard that I'm looking for, but it's by no means bad and I'd strongly encourage you to keep honing your abilities. Apologies if this sounds any kind of mean. 😕 I can see potential here though and I'd encourage you to keep trying.

Its fine realy, besides the very basicness of the map, was there anything Not inviting about it (for example the difficulty, or the lack of secrets?) at least i could try to fix them before trying to make it prettier.

may18plan1.1.png.74af77e7756fab536f59f0f16b1fec9f.png

may18-progress.png.2e67251716e15be345a189b029773bc2.png

I came up with with a whole bunch of clever quirky ideas, but it looks like the real thing is coming around pretty slowly...

Heatmonger (v6)

doom00.png.0d099999dcd5b73711dbda12a32875d3.png

Difficulty settings and coop are implemented. Music is from the 1996 game "Only You".

v6 changes:

- minor visual enhancements in the green door area

- made to work with the latest resource

v5 changes:

- moved 3 revs

- added some extra resources for coop

v3/v4 changes: 

- fixed some texture alignments

- added some lava details

- fixed a softlock

- tweaked items and visuals in final room

- fixed a flat

Edited by Benjogami

I'm getting a crash in PrBoom+ that I can reproduce with this test map:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pbg9ibvizgss70b/crashtest2.wad?dl=1

If I stand still and let the orb kill me, I'll usually get a crash in under 20ish repsawns. I got a crash while testing my Orange map and while playing Scotty's, and PrBoom+ has pretty much never crashed for me, so maybe there's something in the dehacked that's fucky?

I'm using: prboom-plus-2.5.1.5.r4526-win32

Surge (updated)

It has difficulty settings, coop spawns and uses midi "Going down the fast way" from Rise of The Triad. Playtime is about 10-15 minutes. If someone wants to test it, I would really appreciate any feedback and tips you have to offer.

Couple new Pics in spoilers

Spoiler

mayb2.png.bab02a9d0e4098e1bc4f215fe434db78.pngmayb1.png.eb60f455b1c68dc4bc9e66c1175d3824.png

Edited by Ozku : Updated the download link to a newer version

Looks like this second half of May i'll not be around there so much, so...

maydai.zip

Title: Prepare for huge disappointments!

New music: Suck This by Lee Jackson

Build time: 4 hours and half (the time of my laptop battery to go)

Description: A speed mapping techbase filled with agony, danger, mid tier monsters, startan keys, sentient suns and beefy black imps!

As usual feedback is highly appreciated, i'll doing bug fixing when i have time. have fun.

Progress is very slow, there's no hope of a second/purple map at this point :\ Hope I can just get this one finished.

image.png.e7bcf334c96238c2e5d13dc3494a4da5.png

2 minutes ago, Eris Falling said:

Progress is very slow, there's no hope of a second/purple map at this point :\ Hope I can just get this one finished.

"pic"

What Eris Falling greatness are you blurring off there?

On 5/16/2018 at 6:10 AM, Ozku said:

I don't have much in the way of specific feedback, but I had fun. Attached is my playthrough which hopefully is more helpful than my text. :)

ozku-surge_fda.zip

27 minutes ago, Roofi said:

My map is well advanced, I think I will finish it in a few days, but I still have some complicated things to do. In any case, it will be ready before June 1st.

That map looks like something made by TimeOfDeath. I like it. :-)

23 minutes ago, DanielAlexander said:

That map looks like something made by TimeOfDeath. I like it. :-)

Well seen ! My map was mainly inspired of ToD maps.

Edited by Roofi

1 hour ago, Benjogami said:

I don't have much in the way of specific feedback, but I had fun. Attached is my playthrough which hopefully is more helpful than my text. :)

ozku-surge_fda.zip

Thanks for the demo, it gave me a lot of useful feedback on how someone else would play the map. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

Redmay.zip

I updated the map now it has got a lot of changes in terms of gameplay and a little bit in the looks, Should be noted that even if it's finished, feedback would be appricieated!

Any chance the Cybruiser can take the Mastermind slot? Currently, the lack of splash damage immunity kind of makes him shite.

Heh, that is a fair enough point. I'll see what I can do, I think the resources are due for an update anyway.