Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

MAYhem 2018 - Orange Version!

@Walter confettiHi there, i checked your map (fda below, later stopped recording to finish the map cuz that death made me sad :P). Its a ridiculously bare level (judging form your map name, you seem to be exepecting it anyway. Opening horde was fun to mow through, but the rest was a bunch of simple and really uninspired corridor shootouts. The room with 3 hades spheres and a chainguuner was a big luck based one? I wonder why you bothered to put a ethereal soul at the end. On custom monsters, shadows were handled decently, hades spheres... not so much. Frickin grey all the way, not really taking advantage of the orange or the resource pack imo. Some more stuff in spoiler.

Its a mediocre speedmap. Isn't up to snuff compared to other entries so far.

Spoiler

u0vu9b6.png

Um, make it look better?

qYB9vr7.png

Luck room i was talking about

TKW3KWQ.png

Cute, but is there any way to make it standout more? Only cool visual detail in the map :P

e7xNBYu.png

Why is there a damaging floor here? Not to mention the imp ambush is underwhelming.

Also there is a @Marcaek map everyone. Just saying that so it wont be buried. @Obsidian update yer darn links >:)

maydai.zip

With Catpho here. I ran through Maydai myself and was thoroughly unimpressed with what I saw. The gameplay was rather boring to me, and the fight past the startan door felt like a real slog. I didn't want to run inside and fight the revenants and imps and all that, instead I just played peek-a-boo through the door until I'd worn them all down. The hades spheres seemed to be a little overly used (the chaingunner/HS trap was brutal. I only got through that on a second attempt because of foreknowledge) and the ethereal soul at the end seemed a little random.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

7s6j7EV.png

Too much room to not do anything with.

8KPY83k.png

The little detail is blocked by the shotgun, but it's the most interesting part of this room.

dDhvMg3.png

I also just ran through Ballistic. I didn't beat it fairly.

It was solid at first, but then it got ridiculous when the Hades Elementals were brought into the fight.

That's all I'll say about it. It pissed me off.

Surge was solid. I didn't do very well since I seemed to run into every single revenant projectile I possibly could, but I finished this one, regardless. I liked its overall aesthetic and one thing I definitely liked was the fight with the Hades Elemental, it just got to where I had to run away before I was obliterated because everyone else had to join the party.

Spoiler

9Pkheql.png

I liked the use of this room as multiple levels.

aIXvZLh.png

About Redmay: my screenshots can only supplement what Obsidian said.

Spoiler

2FFYenJ.png

ksDhs3p.png

igekBX5.png

On 5/16/2018 at 1:31 AM, Benjogami said:

I'm getting a crash in PrBoom+ that I can reproduce with this test map:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pbg9ibvizgss70b/crashtest2.wad?dl=1

If I stand still and let the orb kill me, I'll usually get a crash in under 20ish repsawns. I got a crash while testing my Orange map and while playing Scotty's, and PrBoom+ has pretty much never crashed for me, so maybe there's something in the dehacked that's fucky?

I'm using: prboom-plus-2.5.1.5.r4526-win32

I get a crash aswell with The Hades Elemental using prboon+2.5.1.4

Yeah, the Explode codepointer doesn't always play nice: same thing happens with the suicide bombers in Purple. Gonna have to do some bugfixing when I have the chance.

7 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

Yeah, the Explode codepointer doesn't always play nice: same thing happens with the suicide bombers in Purple. Gonna have to do some bugfixing when I have the chance.

What causes that? It's so strange.

I haven't had the issue myself, I'm just curious.

Looking at the ZDoom wiki (this is, of course, the DECORATE action A_Explode I'm looking at) tells me that the rocket projectile calls this in the first frame of its death state.

So, why exactly would it change for monsters?

Does DHE do something differently for actors?

I think it does, and sometimes the effects can vary wildly: I remember testing out a suicide bomber for a project of mine years ago and when the monster got to me I got telefragged by a dying Mancubus in ZDoom. To this day I still don't know why. XD

2 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

I remember testing out a suicide bomber for a project of mine years ago and when the monster got to me I got telefragged by a dying Mancubus in ZDoom.

and-now-for-something-completely-differe

Well okay then! Seems legit.

I wish I could offer some insight, but DHE is way beyond me.

12 hours ago, Catpho said:

Also there is a @Marcaek map everyone. Just saying that so it wont be buried. @Obsidian update yer darn links >:)

Ehh, seeing as it wasn't made for this project I'm kinda iffy on people using it for their submission. It's still available for those of you who want to do extra-curricular work though. :P

Also the submissions have been updated. Apologies for not providing as much feedback as I should, I'll likely do a huge push this weekend to leave feedback on all the maps.

Nobody feel obliged to use my shitty scrap. If you think you can do well with it by all means tho

Sorry if it was mentioned already, but J_AQUA07 doesn't align correctly in-game (Although it only seems to be when I need the 64-wide section)Screenshot_Doom_20180522_164410.png.037deb5da19c51fbd2aab7d3dac3ef98.png1938698169_Mayhem18_Eris1at2018_05.2216-44-21.653R2787.jpg.19efe1ad97c3a5b305e9c5b4a915b685.jpg

12 hours ago, Marcaek said:

Nobody feel obliged to use my shitty scrap. If you think you can do well with it by all means tho

I'll take a crack at it. Why not? We've still got nine days.

Edit:

Spoiler

yVu4gv3.png

MncXheq.png

uykHy63.png

This is more than I was expecting to find. I'll see if I can come up with something.

Edited by Aquila Chrysaetos

Phew!.. *wipes away the sweat from the forehead*

Okay then, orange it is, lots of the stuff.

Title: Blazing Gospel

Music Track: "Watz Next" by Lee Jackson (from Rise of the Triad)

A fairly lengthy quasi-nonlinear map that's mostly geared up towards frantic incidental combat and lesser groups of tougher foes. Lots of custom monsters, medium to high difficulty overall, some optional exploration that can be rather rewarding in the end.

Screenshots (with gamma increased; also an obligatory editor shot since those seem to be all the rage):

doom00.jpg.58b57f82eb7480917d781494cf25ee93.jpg

doom01.jpg.8807be2e5ee01d0e3f4a0db4c92380d8.jpg

doom02.jpg.395db50a095bcc4f5d269249ae564c91.jpg

doom03.jpg.094fbd9bb03c74848b4d684e4156607f.jpg

doom04.jpg.03cc50494d6ae29d0e9c0c6c48b80071.jpg

Download link:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nn66vphywn5p5p6/BlazingGospel.zip/file

Difficulty settings are lazily implemented, haven't really tested those aside from checking that everything is functional.

Feel absolutely free to report whatever seems to be amiss. Have fun!

8 hours ago, NuMetalManiak said:

Hey Obsidian, did you get my PM? I found out I can't run Doom Builder on my laptop.

Oh yeah! Sorry I didn't respond, a lot's been on my mind lately. A moment.

i'm working on my map to make at least acceptable, changing some stuff:

XQhJgMm.png

xjm9iAw.png

I hope to make it in time...

Probably won't be submitting a map this year. I started on it, but got side tracking with fixing DotB stuff.

2 hours ago, Urthar said:

Probably won't be submitting a map this year. I started on it, but got side tracking with fixing DotB stuff.

S'all good man. :) If you like you could give what you have to someone else so they can finish it off.

1 hour ago, Obsidian said:

S'all good man. :) If you like you could give what you have to someone else so they can finish it off.

Sure, here's the map for anyone who wants to play with it.

(SKYE4 for horizontal mirrors, SKYE5 for vertical.)

UrtharMayhem18.zip

Fixed some of the layouts and changed some of the rooms including their game mechanics, not sure about the gameplay structure, but i tried at least:

maydai.zip

hope everything will be ok now, as usual feedback is highly appreciated!

All right, here's my Orange entry called Vortex Chambers (fixed link). I'm likely to keep playtesting and make some adjustments, but I'd like some outside opinions and whatnot. Here's a couple crossposted screens.

2tWTWcy.png

0c4E1uC.png

Edited by valkiriforce

5 days to go progress report:

Layout: ~85%

Detailing: ~60%

Thing placement: ~60-70%

Spoiler

1855711329_Mayhem18_Eris1at2018_05.2620-01-35.979R2787.jpg.ac8fc5dda608ae390b7f2c30a2b8fcf3.jpg

I don't really have much confidence this map is even any good either :|

Asterion.zip

Before you ask, this is still redmay but i decided to give it a proper name

I added more details to the map to make it look less basic and more in theme, feedback on it would be great.

Those of you keeping up with Purple likely know my hard drive crashed, which means I can't work on Marcaek's map like I promised.

However, the real purpose of this post was to supply a name for my Orange submission.

I've decided to call it Rigel Kentaurus.

Better than Terahertz, what I intended to call it originally.

This year's mayhem looked like it was real fun. I would've loved to contribute to it but, unfortunately, i have my exams to work on right now :(

I have done very little mapping in the last few days and, seeing as the deadline for this is close, it will be impossible for me to submit anything heh

Oh well, looks great so far at least. Keep up the good work guys and girls. 

Cutting it close but thanks to a national holiday I had enough time to get this finished. Only balanced for UV at the moment. Have fun!

Sun Blows Up Today

Music: Level 3 Theme - Battletoads & Double Dragon

Updated 03/06 with difficult levels and coop monsters.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20180528_173832.png.0949c061482f99cc33344381a758ba44.png

Edited by amok