Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

MAYhem 2018 - Orange Version!

Hey, so @NeedHealth...did you finish that map before June hit or was it only just finished now? Seeing as the deadline has already passed and all. :/

Haha, well, I guess that leaves me out. I'm sure I can retexture what I've got and use it in something else.

Yeah, about that...I've been having a talk with Marcaek and he reckons that the strict deadline adherence is doing more harm than good. I've already had to mentally write off quite a few fine maps due to lateness and while I was worried that pardoning people could have a negative effect, Marcaek reckons that I should include some of the maps and then close the gate completely. I'll also be doing this with Purple.

So yeah, I'll state it here for everyone to see: from this point on, no more submissions will be accepted. I admit that I didn't keep my finger on the pulse as much as was necessary for the project and some of the blame is on me, but nevertheless: no more submissions. I'll be working on compiling the rough wad for anyone who wants to test over the next week.

9 hours ago, Obsidian said:

Hey, so @NeedHealth...did you finish that map before June hit or was it only just finished now? Seeing as the deadline has already passed and all. :/

Yeah I forgot meantion that I updated my map. I posted the map in a playable state back in may and I updated the map now so it would be better then just playable as you said were allowed. Here's the first post I made - take a look at the posting date.

Edited by NeedHealth

On 6/1/2018 at 8:21 AM, Bloodite Krypto said:

The download link doesn't work for me, comes up with file doesn't exist :s

Link refreshed

On 5/28/2018 at 5:48 PM, amok said:

Cutting it close but thanks to a national holiday I had enough time to get this finished. Only balanced for UV at the moment. Have fun!

Sun Blows Up Today

Music: Level 3 Theme - Battletoads & Double Dragon

Updated 03/06 with difficult levels and coop monsters.

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_Doom_20180528_173832.png.0949c061482f99cc33344381a758ba44.png

Added difficulties, coop monsters and removed a couple Cybruisers. I'd call it complete but chances are I'll think of something to change in the next few days.

I seem to have made a small cockup when linking to my map. If I understand dropbox right the link should still be same but it probably not because I am stupid. Currently fixing some textures errors that I didn't like.

e - yeah if you download my map and find yourself not staring a portal it is because I am making the map better.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6qwipxaeggln4g8/3sundowning_nh.wad?dl=0

Edited by NeedHealth

I've added a proper ending to my map, which makes use of the new weapon in quite an epic fashion. :)
The map is now in a "playtestable" state (good luck though).

Resource wad bug reports :
- During testing, PrBoom 2.5.0 had a couple crashes when a Hades Sphere exploded.
- On two occasions, I've encountered an invulnerable Ethereal Soul. It wasn't in "ghost" state (i.e. I couldn't even damage it with rockets). Could it be caused by an incorrect resurrection sequence ?
- As reported in an older post, there are stray blue pixels on the Shadow sprite set.

MAYhem2018Orange_WH01_v1.zip

Wait, the Hades Sphere is still causing crashes? Do you have the updated resources?

Also I am indeed still compiling: I started with Purple and I'm currently beginning Orange while I wait for someone to give me their music. Hang tight!

31 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

Wait, the Hades Sphere is still causing crashes? Do you have the updated resources?

Yep.
Happened only two times in many testing attempts, but still...

While I'm here, I'll post an updated version of my map with some tweaks regarding easy skills.

MAYhem2018Orange_WH01_v1a.zip

God fucking dammit, I had to make an annoying compromise to make those work. Would you be able to check if it does the same thing for the Suicide Bombers from Purple as well please?

Also cheers for the update. :)

Is there going to be another mayhem next month? I was too late for this one. :P

6 minutes ago, AconyX said:

Is there going to be another mayhem next month? I was too late for this one. :P

MAYhem only happens in May, so you may have to wait until next year :)

I've had plenty of people asking me about making MAYhem Turquoise to complete the trilogy. :P Maybe Maptember will be a thing or something.

7 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

Maptember

Sounds like fun, we should do that.

I'd totally go for it, even though Boom mapping is still alien to me (damn GZDoom mapping all these years).

About Rigel Kentaurus (that is, my map) here, whatever music track you choose is fine with me.

Most of the time I don't even listen to the in-game music, I use my own mp3's elsewhere on the hard drive.

11 hours ago, Obsidian said:

Hey @Redead-ITA, did you have some music in mind for your map or shall I pick one for you?

Oh please feel free To choose it yourself, usualy choosing the music is the last thing i plan on my maps

@Obsidian have you playtested my map yet ? What did you think about it ? Does also the midi sound fitting? I was trying to find one from my collection that best captures the feeling of looking at the portal.

16 hours ago, Obsidian said:

I've had plenty of people asking me about making MAYhem Turquoise to complete the trilogy. :P Maybe Maptember will be a thing or something.

AESTHETICember

Alrighty! This right here is the first testing beta for MAYhem Orange.

• Much like Purple, the graphics aren't quite done yet
  • Order is definitely not final and will be determined by the difficulty of each map
  • The map names on the automap are just the names of the mappers: makes feedback easier
  • The maps in slots 6, 10 and 20 don't have difficulty settings yet

As ever, feedback (whether it be on the maps of the compilation itself) is greatly appreciated. Have at thee!

EDIT: Oh yeah, and there's a MAP31. It's a thing.

EDIT 2: New release candidate that hopefully addresses the SM bug

Edited by Obsidian

I will play the wad tomorrow and give some feedback. :)

DEMO

I just recorded a demo of me finishing my own map on uv-max  in order to prove that the whole map is doable without saves. I survived in all traps before finding secrets in order to check if they are necessary or not.

The demo must be played with the RC1 wad.

@Walter confetti I checked out your latest version of maydai on UV, using prboom+ ver 2.5.1.4. I'll put my review in a spoiler cuz lots of images:

Spoiler

Visuals are way better in this version, especially liked the face and the ship. Liked the opening too, and how the shadows are used are kinda cool .There are a lot of stuff about the rest of the gameplay that turns me off, however. First the Cybruiser area: it's way too much chance and requires foreknowledge. Really difficult to past on the first go cause the crampness, also the not so obvious way to kill it is quite frustrating (teleporter is not marked with a texture). Not really fun and rewarding, i suggest widening the room for another encounter or just not bother adding in the room.

16wRsoJ.png

The place im talking about

Second is the lack of health in these areas:

EK1Qdjg.png
JAv5Lho.png

Adding a medkit to replace the stimpack in the area in the bottom screenshot would help i think, or some more supplies.

FNavuUS.png

Why a megaamor here? To even get here you have to clear the enemies, and the rest of the fights aren't challenging enough to warrant its position. How about put it in the beginning and keep the health placement as it is?

Didn't liked this map too much personally, but there are nice stuff like the opening, and the shadows, so i dunno, kinda mixed.

@NeedHealth Gave your map a quick UV run as well. Haven't played it too thoroughly yet, but i liked the visuals and the ethereal soul in tight spaces usage. FDA below.

Visual bug here:

Spoiler

aMLXC61.png

may18o011.zip

Let's go for reviews , I will be quite brief for the review of each level because my english is quite poor and I don't want to spend 1 h

to write a text. :) I play the levels from the compilation. I played the first map yesterday but I will have to replay it to refresh my memories , so I will make the review of this map lastly due to my laziness.

Map 02 : @Aquila Chrysaetos

I wanted to finish your level in my FDA but ....

doom215.png.9d4325a60e0cb13a9e7f10115bd3d389.png

I'm playing with the good resource pack because the others maps have the cybruisers at their respective location. I tried to punch the SM but it's actually impossible in prboom and the ammo was too scarce .

However , I can say , it's a good exploratory map with many secrets and a cute music from TNT evilution. I had the TNT vibe while playing your level which is a pretty good thing. On the other side , I have to complain the terrible lack of ammo (and also health). I was supposed to kill a cybruiser in the screenshot but I had almost no ammo whereas I found 6 secrets of 9. I don't know if it's voluntary but I don't consider the lack of ammo as a real difficulty.

Apart from that , some traps were quite effective , I liked the green key's trap and the hidden shadow monsters made me blench. Well Done lol. The aesthetics were neat but deserve a bit more details in my opinion.

My demo of my unfinished playthrough , I will maybe try again later. DEMO