Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

MAYhem 2018 - Orange Version!

@Obsidian I updated the map according to Roofis suggestions. However I like J_PANEL3 he thinks is misaligned. Still I've been trying to find a replacement in the pack but nothing clicks and as it is the "background" texture in the map I do not think I have the time to do the massive overhaul to make it "better" right now.

Could do a slight edit to remove the squares in the texture but I don't know how to add it into the wad ....

The link is the same as before because dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6qwipxaeggln4g8/3sundowning_nh.wad?dl=0

New version of my map, did some visual tweaks in places, and also added a proper exit which should be either a bit challenging or extremely satisfying, depending on whether you got the RL secret.

@Obsidian

I played your map , it was really strange with a lot of trickery and also surprisingly hard . As the previous maps , I failed in my demo and finished your map with saves. Anyway , it was a really interesting level to cross. :)

DEMO

Firstly , I really loved the weird progression . I saw you hid the layout in the computer map in order to make the silent teleporters undetectable. I  had consequently always the illusion to explore an unique building , the trick was nicely done. I loved also how the yellow and startan key fell in the black hole as if they were haunted by a ghost. However , I found the idea of taking a hidden path in the water badly executed even if that little puzzle fits very well with this kind of map. I was frustrated because I  died dozens of time in the water while trying to memorize the path. I'm maybe bad or impatient sometimes , but I found the path quite intricate to exactly remember considering that a little mistake is fatal , you have only few seconds to identify it after pressing the switch  and also because you must pass through it a couple of times (after the yellow and Startan key or if you take the wrong way after the yellow bars). Apart from that , the rest was very fun.

I loved also the aesthectics of your map which greatly contribute to enhance the surrealistic aspect. The first building has an unique architecture but I liked above all the massive use of brown bricks  mixed with other textures which give a certain variety. The orange liquid matches well with a brown map but I found kinda weird that the lava was actually not damaging. I died in the mancubus/explosive lost souls's trap near the yellow key in my demo because I thought that the lava was harmful , same where the first mancubus appeared. Otherwise , I always appreciate when mappers use old vanilla tricks in their maps. It's the case for silent floating platforms which work as lifts and also the startan key locked by a barrier-looking door. Everything was neat , I didn't find serious texture misalignments.

I had more fun when I replay your level with saves because I already knew most of the traps and managed to spare ammo. The way you used the new monsters was clever. The first shadows were quite dangerous because you can't see them in the cages except when they are shooting. The first trap with the explosive lost souls will troll a lot of players. :p The grey losts souls proved to be extremly dangerous when you have no armor. I'm not a fan of difficult maps based on serious ammo and health restrictions contrarywise . However , I had the vibe of classic horror games while playing your map thanks to its mysterious ambiance and its low monster count. I tolerate more the resources restrictions when you can take your time and play carefully. Your map fortunately doesn't have big fights, so  everything was manageable. The hardest part in your map was that damn path in the water. xD

I saw a little bug in your map , these barrels look strangely dark.

doom235.png.151eb574641de3ced9f17499ddc6f0c3.png

Conclusion : A nice strange and unique map in the wad . Too restrictive on items for my taste but has a very pronounced horror game aspect.

@Redead-ITA

Played your map on UV , I died in the Hades Elemental's fight in my demo ( which must be launched with Redmay.wad) but I went to the exit in the RC2 version with the stuck mastermind. In the first place , I don't know your mapping experience but the map seems to be made by a beginner. So , I will not say your map is good because a ton of corrections are needed to make the map acceptable but it was playable at least and quite fun.

DEMO

Your map was easy , even if I died in the Caco's fight. It's a good thing because Mayhem Orange has a lot of difficult maps , so some easy maps would be welcomed in order to make a difficulty curve in the mapset. Also your map has some exploration , I complain the lack of secrets because you can easily add some in your map. Adding secrets in a map is pretty fun , I find. :) The progression was kinda interesting and your level has various places. The idea of explorating a fortress in a broken spacehip was interesting , even if it looked very primitive  :

doom239.png

The traps in your level were really fair and I liked it because it was relaxing to play it. I died against the Cacodemon because I ran out of ammo , you should add some ammo near the caco .

My complaint essentially concerns the global appearance of your map. You really must pay a lot more attention to your texture's choices and their alignement. Also the part after the yellow key's door looks really off-topic compared to the megawad's theme :

You should add some textures from the resource pack in this section....

doom240.png

I spotted also some HOMS :

doom2394.png

doom238.png

Conclusion : A typical beginner map which needs a ton of rework to make it presentable. It was not bad.

1 hour ago, Roofi said:

*the review*

Ok so time to do some awnsering

For the reason there is stucked spidermastermind, is that i heard obsidian has switched the cyberbruiser with the spidermastermind to make give him Explosion AOE immunity, in the updated recources, so if obsidian makes an RC3, that issue should have been fixed

I will agree on the addition for some textures here and there, and i need to fix the HOM

but the last of the HOF doesn't happen to me because when i checked (Or at least in my updated version)

so i will update the map again with this feedback thanks a lot

Edited by Redead-ITA : Forgot the rest of the comment

I updated the map a little bit with the feedback:

the following things i fixed are:

Fixed The issues with the HOM

Pimped up a lifeless section to make it feel more Alive a little.

added a small secret

Issues still in it:

You might still see the spidermastermind, (My version that i have still switches the 2

Didn't add any ammo where the cacos at, seeing that i put it close room where the switch is already.

There might be a HOM close at the beggining,

To get the secret may be a slight pain, if you are playing on UV, but it is worth it in the end.

That pimped up section might cause nausea a little.

Redmay.zip

@Eris Falling

Done your map on UV (not max because I forgot to kill only 1 monster but I found all secrets). It was really epic and could fit perfectly for an opening level in the mapset even if it was harder than some maps. I wrongly played the RC2 version first but I got weirdly stuck in the orange key's area after the door shut down. I tested your corrected version next and all worked fine fortunately , but my demo was consequently not a FDA.

DEMO (must be launched with Mayhem18_Eris_v2.wad.)

It was epic as I said before , because the gameplay was really fast-paced and explosive and the music sounded really upbeat. I loved how useful the chaingun (and also the RL) was in your level . Chaingunning armies of zombies may be one of the funniest activities to do in Doom and the way you used the explosive lost souls made the things gorier. Also , your level was large and had a lot of various places to explore but it doesn't take too long because everything  was very open. I had the feeling to play a videogame with a  punchy run and gun gameplay.

I saw a lot of good ideas in the progression and above all  a lot of complex Boom mapping's tricks. My favourite parts were when all the walls of the fake Entryway  lowered in order to reveal the real hell and the gigantic raising bridge leading to the exit. You orchestrated very well and it was impressing to look. I also appreciated  the gimmick which consists to shoot the evil eyes in order to lower the RL's secret sector. It was  fun and very unusual but I guessed by chance they were shootable. If I had not tried to shoot them, I would have probably spent hours searching a hypothetical little switch to reach the RL. Also , you were right on the fact that the RL changes the last hard fight into a funny slaughterfest. I laughed a bit  when a coming from nowhere surprise berserk fell and slid on the ground in order to help you in a previous fight. xD

You really well detailed your map , especially the first cavern . Your map actually has a lot of corridors but they are differently shaped and very large to make the whole very coop-friendly. I don't have a lot to say about the aesthetics , everything was neat.

Conclusion : A very good epic map which could be perfectly the map 01 of Mayhem Orange even if it was quite challenging.

Edited by Roofi

I just share here the long french review I wrote for @WH-Wilou84's map weeks ago. I google translated it and corrected a bit the text so the english may be quite approximative. I mostly want to say that his map was really hard and could be used for the  final or one of the last maps of Mayhem Orange. I also made some personal remarks concerning his older maps so it's possible you don't understand everything. xD

REVIEW

I played UV with saves, I killed 2015 monsters of 2018 (I saw something similar in your 20 years of Ultimate Doom map ) and found 1 secret out of 3 because the last zone does not seem to have any way to go back unfortunately. In any case this level was great and as Franck said, it could fit  perfectly to TN. The difference would have been a monster less. : p

I liked Umbreion Nils but it was less fun than this map. The last fight is just slaughter and enjoyable, I'll explain later.

First, the gameplay was nice but what I loved the most were the aesthetics. The caves were extremely well detailed, full of light effects. The beginning of the level made me think a lot about TNT evilution and this music was perfectly adapted to long and exhausting maps. I liked the progression of the level and particularly the liquids that go down to reveal underground passages.

I did not use the super Cacodemon since it was crashing the game in the first version of the pack. This is not a regret because I find it really annoying to kill them in small fights. On the other hand, I enjoyed killing an entire group with the super RL. You did not use the cybruiser, I also think it would not have been too suitable for your map. Life and ammo were not too rare, I was not in trouble, you were generous on that side. The radsuits are limited in number but much less than in your map for 3habonus.

Anyway, I think this is one of the best maps of Mayhem 2018, if not the best.

Now about fights, the last one made me think directly of Sunder and Deus Vult but the super RL makes the whole thing a lot more fun. Besides, I think the Slaughterfest style slaughterwads should have implemented a super RL instead of a pink BFG that infinitely shoots ... This fight, although violent is it, is not extremely difficult because we can turn around enemies if we run fast enough. But this small drop in difficulty is not a bad thing because the fight mostly aims to show the potential of the super RL.

Where I really struggled is the fight of the green key with the INCREDIBLE number of cyberdemons that act as turrets. When I saw that, I thought, "What ?!" I was wondering if I had the latest version of the resource pack because I thought at first that you wanted to put cybruisers but I remembered that you did not want to put some. I had trouble at first because I did not understand the wall system that goes up and down. It's not your fault because it comes from the fact that the switches that you used were not animated. I had tried unsuccessfully to reach the switches in the four corners of the rectangular arena before understanding the mecanics. With a little strategy, I managed to pass this area, but it stays really hard. It was quite easy to be hit by a stray rocket because of the infighting between teleporting monsters and the cyberdemons.

2 hours ago, Roofi said:

@Eris Falling

Done your map on UV (not max because I forgot to kill only 1 monster but I found all secrets). It was really epic and could fit perfectly for an opening level in the mapset even if it was harder than some maps. I wrongly played the RC2 version first but I got weirdly stuck in the orange key's area after the door shut down. I tested your corrected version next and all worked fine fortunately , but my demo was consequently not a FDA.

DEMO (must be launched with Mayhem18_Eris_v2.wad.)

It was epic as I said before , because the gameplay was really fast-paced and explosive and the music sounded really upbeat. I loved how useful the chaingun (and also the RL) was in your level . Chaingunning armies of zombies may be one of the funniest activities to do in Doom and the way you used the explosive lost souls made the things gorier. Also , your level was large and had a lot of various places to explore but it doesn't take too long because everything  was very open. I had the feeling to play a videogame with a  punchy run and gun gameplay.

I saw a lot of good ideas in the progression and above all  a lot of complex Boom mapping's tricks. My favourite parts were when all the walls of the fake Entryway  lowered in order to reveal the real hell and the gigantic raising bridge leading to the exit. You orchestrated very well and it was impressing to look. I also appreciated  the gimmick which consists to shoot the evil eyes in order to lower the RL's secret sector. It was  fun and very unusual but I guessed by chance they were shootable. If I had not tried to shoot them, I would have probably spent hours searching a hypothetical little switch to reach the RL. Also , you were right on the fact that the RL changes the last hard fight into a funny slaughterfest. I laughed a bit  when a coming from nowhere surprise berserk fell and slid on the ground in order to help you in a previous fight. xD

You really well detailed your map , especially the first cavern . Your map actually has a lot of corridors but they are differently shaped and very large to make the whole very coop-friendly. I don't have a lot to say about the aesthetics , everything was neat.

Conclusion : A very good epic map which could be perfectly the map 01 of Mayhem Orange even if it was quite challenging.

Thanks for playing Roofi! Cool demo, it was fun to see you tackling the RL secret.

Spoiler

There is a subtle hint actually by the one closest to the RL itself, I drew a VII in front of it (7 eyes for a homage to a 7th map). You can't really see it because it would actually require you to stand on the lava, heh. Oh well, I'm ok with it being obscure as is. The ones by the demon-spitting building are intentionally difficult to hit to make it harder to trigger them accidentally, though I wonder if I should hide them elsewhere and use torches for decoration there instead.

I also see there was a HOM and some cliffwalking which you're not supposed to be able to do so I'll fix those - think I saw a sky cutoff somewhere as well. In the fight with the cybruiser, the doors will reopen quicker if you have the RL but I see it's still too fast since the cybruiser was made immune to splash damage. It looked like at the end of the map you were looking for a way to return to the previous areas? I can add a tele back that opens with the exit (which isn't closed off initially in this version, oops).

Looks like the monster you missed is a zombieman that failed to teleport after you hit the switch for the orange key, I wonder if it's because the scroller is too fast...

@DanielAlexander

Completed your map on UV-max. It was one of the easiest maps  I played for now in Mayhem Orange whereas I expected a pretty diffcult map by looking your screenshot. x) You just need actually to circle strafe to win but I liked your level , it was short and fun. Also ,  I liked how you can make the monsters fighting between themselves instead of using your ammo. I recorded two demos on your map , my prboom+ oddly crashed in the first one while I was fighting the group of Hades elementals (it happened a couple of times in other maps...). Both must be launched with the RC2.

DEMO (with the crash)

DEMO (no problem)

I liked your map mainly because it was easy. Mayhem Orange doesn't have a lot of really straightforward maps and the custom monsters were not too unfairly used in your map. The cybruisers proved to be rather dangerous because the risk of being hit by a stray rocket increased when they were infighting and Hades Elemental spit a lot of explosive lost souls. Ammo and health were not scarce without mentionning the fact that you can easily abuse of infights in order to economize them. The last fight with the rapid RL was the funniest and also the "hardest". I have nothing much to say about the gameplay. No secret here but there was absolutely no exploration in your map.

The unique arena you built was beautiful thanks to its very colorful appearance and its rather well detailed architecture. I also digged the vertical scrolling textures . Not a lot to say about the aesthetics but I wonder why you used the switch textures from the iwad and not from the resource pack instead.

Conclusion : A short and fun arena style map.

@Walter confetti

I played your map on UV-max like the others. It was a quite enjoyable classic tech-base to explore and also slightly harder than I thought . I managed to finish it in one attempt anyway. :)

DEMO

I had the feeling to play a classic Ultimate Doom level with new monsters   although the progression was very linear , maybe too much but whatever. It was not that simple because the armor tended to be rare and a lot of hitscanners wait to perforate us ! I had no problem with ammo , except after I wasted  shotgun shells on the cybruiser before realizing that it was possible to telefrag him. It was a pretty good thing because it gave the possibility to not abuse of doorcamping if you were enough courageous. Your map focus mainly on shotgun fights due to the fact you obtain the SSG and the secret rapid RL near the end. The SSG proved to be quite useful for the last fights but the RL was completly pointless considering that rockets were very scarce and also the absence of really tough encounters. I was expecting for a nasty trap once I grabbed the blue armor but that was not the case.

The progression was kind of interesting with a lot of interconnections despite its very pronounced linearity. As the Obsidian's level and others , I always found weird  that some mappers use orange lava as a non-lethal liquid. It was not a real problem but I always check if the lava deals damage or not in consequence. In addition , a lava pool were located in front of a lift as if it was a kind of trap.

The map has very classic aesthetic , all details remind me directly of Romero's Ultimate Doom maps . I can't say it was really impressive but it keeps its charm for sure. I recognized a Pichu's head in a room :p

I noticed that several people used the ROTT's soundtrack (you , Demonologist , Ozku). It's good and it always gives a very nostalgic vibe to the maps even it's  overused imo.

Conclusion : An enjoyable classic doom map which can be one of the first maps in the mapset thanks to its pretty fair difficulty.

@Benjogami

Phew , I managed to finish your level on UV-max after many , many , many deaths. It was fucking hard but the gameplay was very solid. I record two demos on your map. The first is really long and ends with a crash because of Hadès Elementals. The second is a lot shorter , I just died few times before completing the level. Both must be launched with the RC2.

First part with crash

Second part with the completed level

doom252.png

I was a bit skeptical about the gameplay at the very beginning  because I'm not a fan at all of mandatory infighting in doom maps. However , I discovered very early that you can use some teleporters located in the lava to directly reach the super rocket launcher. Your level gives some opportunities for the player to create his own strategy and I liked it. The idea of making a secret fight in order to collect a duplicate of the green key was cool and really useful. I only beat your level by collecting the secret green key in order to kill the army of hell knights from the plasma gun's room. In my first demo , I tried a lot of strategies before finding the most secure. It was fun so I had enough perseverance to finish your level without saves.

The final fight with the shadow/arch-viles combo was the most brutal due to the fact that the (fucking annoying) shadows can rape you in a few seconds and very quickly appear from all sides. I passed the big battle with the HK and the 2 cybers only once in the right way so I will consider it was the hardest part of the level. The gathered megaspheres didn't help me that much because I was forced to stay on the damaging liquid while a billion HK were spamming their fireballs xD. The secret fight looked very hard at first sight but it was in fact very easy with the RL even if I sometimes died.

The super RL was way more efficient than the secret BFG because you can very quickly deal  huge damage at a specific point  so you can easily create a path in a block of monsters. Every fight emphasised the incredible power of the new weapon and it was the strong point of your map. The plasmagun was also completly useless in the last fight tbh and I used the RL instead.

Your map has a great architecture and the rocky mountains render very well , nothing much to say. However , I expected to enter in the huge building located to the right to the spawn but it was just here for decorative purposes. I liked the music a lot.

Conclusion : A good very hard slaughtermap which mostly focuses on the custom weapon and a certain non-linearity.

5 hours ago, Roofi said:

@Benjogami

Phew , I managed to finish your level on UV-max after many , many , many deaths. It was fucking hard but the gameplay was very solid. I record two demos on your map. The first is really long and ends with a crash because of Hadès Elementals. The second is a lot shorter , I just died few times before completing the level. Both must be launched with the RC2.

First part with crash

Second part with the completed level

[...]

Thanks for the demos and write-up! I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was a lot of fun watching you find the secret-fight-first route, and trying different strats. :) Well played! That crash was tragic; it surely would have been an exit otherwise. Also, I'm not sure what was up with the last ethereal soul that was stuck to the floor... very weird. :D

@Ozku

I beat your map on Uv-max . I found your level excellent, I expected a more mundane level to be honest but everything was neat instead. A lot of exploration rhythmed with some little tough traps.

DEMO

The major strong point of your level was the layout itself. You did a lot of clever interconnections between rooms so I was never really lost in your level. Also , everything was enough large to make a fluid and pleasant progression. I enjoyed exploring secrets because a lot of them consisted of entire areas with useful items of course ! It reminded me a lot of Ultimate's dooms maps .

I didn't have a lot of trouble finishing your level thanks to abundance of health/ammo/armor.  I sometimes like maps full of traps but I also enjoy rushing toward monsters without thinking. The rare traps you put on your level were enough to keep the player on suspense. They also happened at unexpected areas. I liked how the outdoors stairs lowered to make teleport two archviles or the lowering floor which revealed a cybruiser and a couple of monsters. You used the cybruiser and the Hadès Elemental as a real mid-boss and not as common powerful monsters contrary to many maps (and also mine).

Your map has also a great exploration aspect. Your base contains a lot of various places with different textures , differently shaped rooms and especially a mix between outdoors and indoors areas. The detailing stayed quite simple  , maybe a bit more advanced than a classic doom map. However , the lights made the whole more subtle.

Some textures don't match very well together in the other hand , few exemples :

doom255.png

doom258.png

doom257.png

doom256.png

Conclusion : A fun and dynamic classic doom map with some eccentric traps.

Thanks for the review @Roofi glad you liked my map, even if I see you played the old version with the cybruiser (removed after Catpho first review) the newer version is posted there as well in the page before this: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/1886570

Edited by Walter confetti : added link

@Paul977

DEMO

I beat your level on UV-max with only one death. It was rather easy as you said but amusing . I had the feeling to play a Death-destiny's map on HNTR difficulty because it seems that the architecture and the gameplay were very inspired by his maps. However , the numerous soulspheres and armors helped me a lot to survive the traps and the BFG facilitated greatly the task while it was given very early in the map. I will be quite brief because it was quite short and I didn't die enough to examinate the traps in details lol. The only dangerous parts were maybe fighting the viles at the beginning without the BFG and the fight with the cybies at the underground part. The platforming sequence before the last fight annoyed me a bit because I don't like using the computer map to know where I must jump. Despite that , a teleporter was nearby and platforms were quite big so I found it enough fair. The last battle proved to be weak compared to the others , I was expecting a tougher fight.

I digged the tall architecture and all the details which remind me directly of D-D's maps. At last , a lot of strategies are possible thanks to very open gameplay and the fact that you can find a BFG in each area . You can even skip the first monsters in order to kill them with the BFG later.

Conclusion : A good slaughtermap with a non-linear progression and a very softened version of Death-destiny's gameplay  which can please rather inexperienced players.

@Scotty

Just beat your level on UV-max , I needed some tries mainly because of the last trap. Apart from that I didn't have a lot of trouble finishing your level. I spent a good time globally except at the final part because I'm not really fan of fighting hades elemental in cramped areas (and also cybruisers in some situations). Here is my FDA :

DEMO (RC2)

I found the secret area early thanks to the not so hidden "secret" switch lol. It helped me a lot in reason of the blue armor though the fight was quite dangerous. In any case secret entire areas are always welcomed , even in little maps as yours. The few cybruisers constitute a considerable threat without being too overwhelming. The very beginning of your level was pretty brutal because of the first one lol but I fortunately didn't lack of soulspheres despite how scarce the armors were. Just a little remark , I always have some trouble with shootable switchs which can be actually reached by foot. I always forget I must use my pistol on them and try to press "use" instead. It may be annoying in fights because I lose few precious seconds.

I liked how you can easily skip some traps in order to provoke a lot of infights. It was mostly the case for the monsters at the center , near the first cybruiser. You can use them to your advantage in order to spare more ammo for the last fight. The trap with the teleporting Hades elemental and arch-viles was by far the most interesting imo because it forces you to quickly move across the already explored zones in order to prevent a mass resurection. I had a lot of fun killing Hades elemental in outdoors large area too , despite the one near the green key which may be very dreadful. I disliked the last trap mainly because I got instantly raped in my first tries. However , I admit  it wasn't that unfair once you found the good strategy in order to easily take cover from the powerful custom monsters. The last explosive lost soul was a kind of joke but I survived it by chance because  I trusted the prboom' monsters counter too much. lol

Not really special things to say about the aesthetics  because it was rather beautiful , especially in the secret area. I found a bit funny that the red lava was completly harmless whereas the black liquid was damaging.I tend to interpret liquids in the opposite way , red often means danger for me contrary to the black. At last , a misalignement here :

doom259.png

Conclusion : A nice little fast-paced map with some tough traps to keep you on suspense.

@Marcaek/ @Breezeep

I finished your level on UV without max due to technical issues which prevented me to kill all monsters. I played the map in the RC2 version , I hope it was the latest. because it needs some fixing. Anyway , it was an amazing level to explore and became one of my favourite level of Mayhem Orange.

FDA :DEMO

The thing I loved above all was the complex and massive architecture throughout all the map. The circular rooms and especially the last one with the orange light impressed me a lot. I must say "Bravo!" for making this big and full of accurate details tech base in less than a month. I also liked the omnipresent darkness which gave a very deep atmosphere even if I sometimes had to turn up the brightness in order to see the shadows.

I must complain the lack of secrets because it's possible to add some , thanks to the very non-linear progression which allows the player to explore the base as he wishes. Also , some parts become totally unaccessible. You can't go back to the rocky area with the startan key because the lift goes down only once. The switch next to the lift strangely has no utility. You can't go to the orange key's path because the walls were definetely raised too.

Your map was quite difficult mainly because of numerous hitscanners and shadows. It was enjoyable even if killing those monsters with limited resources was not really my cup of tea. I had a lot more trouble in the orange key's section than the startan one's , the shadows can sometimes be a pain in the ass to kill with the RL. I mostly died because of them. The last fight was surprisingly easy because you can easily escape the circular room and kill the monsters from a safe point. I think you should lock the doors in order to make the trap more effective. The vile was weirdly stuck in its hole , I couldn't kill him too. The BFG proved to be useful but not overkill because the cell charges were actually very scarce. It helped me in hard times.

I found some bugs  :

- The first big lift leading to the outdoors can be dysfunctional. I don't know how I did that. I'm shooting an invisible wall because only one sector raised.

doom261.png

- HOMS

doom263.png

doom265.png

-Misaligned texture. Some switchs are misaligned but I have the same strange problem in my map.

doom264.png

Conclusion :A very high-quality collaboration map with a strong architecture and a quite tenacious gameplay.

Thanks @Catpho and I hope my demos will help you , mappers. :)

@Crunchynut44

Done your map on UV-max , it was not a difficult task even if I died once for a stupid reason. A pretty unique map in reason of its medieval theme  with a bit of futuristic technology. The large majority mappers  built a tech base in their map , so your map was a little breath of fresh air. The architecture reminded me a lot of Heretic's levels thanks to the omnipresence of big stonebricks textures and wooden beams.

FDA : DEMO (RC2)

I don't have a lot to say about the gameplay , the whole was quite simple. I struggled the most against the two Hades elementals when you meet the Spider-Mastermind. I had no trouble killing the cybie just before because it was deaf as the HK. I digged mostly the exploration in your level and particularly the secrets which were not particularly hard to find. The rapid RL would have helped me against the bosses and Hades Elementals but it was not mandatory fortunately.

As I said before , it looks heavily inspired of Heretic levels aesthetically. I like caverns maps and rocky landscapes in general , I wasn't disappointed in your map. You played a lot with light graduations while keeping a certain homogeneity and consistency in textures choices.Some futuristic decorations as the neons were cleverly introduced so that it fits like a glove . The orange lava was not harmful again as many other levels, but I start to get used despite I still find it quite weird.

Conclusion : A rather easy map with an unique medieval theme in the mapset.

Massive props to @Roofi for the feedback: you're an absolute champion and your feedback is greatly appreciated.

As for me, I'll be devoting this weekend to updating the compilations with maps and graphics. The last couple weeks have been a bit hectic, but this weekend looks like it'll be sedate enough for me to get shit done. Hang tight!

Much appreciated @Roofi! Im glad you enjoyed the map, should slot in nicely in the front 9 somewhere. Ill make small adjustments based on your feedback. Cheers!

Thanks a lot ! :)

@amok

Finished your level on UV-max with saves. I recorded a demo but I gave up after dying  couple of times in the same trap after killing three quarters of the ennemies. My demo was not a FDA because I gave a try days ago so I already knew the first traps. Your map was globally not really hard but the cybruisers proved to be particularly lethal . I enjoyed exploring your level thanks to its well detailed and quite massive architecture and its a bit twisted progression.

DEMO

It was a tough map mostly because you must survive in a lot of brutal traps. I always had enough health and ammo to recover well between each fight but a cybruiser's rocket in the face or an expected encounter with an explosive lost soul may be fatal in most of the cases when you only have 100 poor health points. I liked the inguenity you've shown in some traps but I found some fights involving cybruisers really punitive or useless. I died many times  in the long corridor with a lot of barrels because you have to be really agile when twice cybruisers shoot their superfast rockets at the same time. You can fortunately grab the rapid RL before triggering the trap but it stayed quite dangerous. The most pointless fight was maybe the one where you release a cybruiser from a little cage while a chaingunner appears behind you. I definitely didn't have enough space to kill it with my RL so I took cover between the cage and the lift in order to stuck him. It bored me to survive this way but it was the most secure strategy. No complaint about the others fights , they were dangerous but more manageable in a first attempt , I particularly enjoyed when the floor lowered by surprise. I had the most fun in the rapid RL's trap because pulverizating the dozens of monsters in the "hallway" was extremely enjoyable.

I digged more the architecture than the texturing. It reminded me of Mars War (a old megawad) for some reasons. I saw a lot of variety betweens rooms and a god mix between outdoors and indoors exploration. As I said before , the progression was rather strange and reserved a lot of unexpected moments. I realised after that you don't need to do the rapid RL's section in order to get the green key. It gave a certain non-linearity which makes the level more interesting to play.

It was aesthetically pleasing to see your level but it lacks of cleanliness in your textures usage. I found several misalignments or textures which don't match very well... I took some screens but I will not report all of them. It needs some fixing on that side.

doom272.png

doom270.png

See the light texture which is cut in half in the ground :

doom269.png

doom268.png

Some rockets are strangely floating here :

doom267.png

- Items in front of mandatory switches are annoying.

doom271.png

Conclusion : A quite big tech base level with some tough fights and some exploration. I liked the music.

@Pinchy

I finished your level on UV but not max because I couldn't reach the cell charge's secret. I took more than a hour killing all monsters and searching secrets (I used Doombuilder to locate the last one). It's a second demo attempt because I tried your map weeks ago but died in the red key's fight. Anyway , it was a really cool map to explore with a non-linear gameplay.

DEMO

Your map proved to be enough large to make my Prboom a bit laggy lol. The huge "garden" has a lot of beautiful details while everything was visible due to the absence of relief in your map. The gameplay reminded me a lot of Hell Revealed's map 13 with its very open garden and the omnipresence of dangerous ennemies which guard the important spots. I always appreciate mappers who place the same weapon in various places because it allows the player to create different strategies. You can in fact find two SSG and two Rocket launchers without searching for secrets. You can obtain either the BFG and the rapid RL in the order you want if you survive in the   key's trap before.I would have spent less time if I had  the super RL earlier. The BFG was less useful for me due to limited cell charges.

Your map is hard if you don't know where the secrets are or if you try to kill all ennemies by yourself. I especially had  to make the perched cybruisers killing the giant army of pinkies in order to not run out of ammo. I'm generally not a fan about forcing the player to abuse of infightings but your map was enough large to make it fun.  I'm lying a bit , because infighting is not actually necessary if you manage to grab the plasmagun and unlock items without being killed by the group of cybruisers. It's a very risky task whereas I wanted to play very carefully.

The big mandatory traps in order to get the keys were very brutal . I  decided to survive in the fight with the arch-viles and shadows first because you can easily escape the red key's trap by using the secret teleporter or walking on the rapid RL's lowering sector if you are quite fast. The secrets were well hidden , I took a lot of time finding them. I must complain the fact that the cell charge's sector become unreachable if you don't find it before lowering the sectors near the RL. 

I especially enjoyed the epic outdoors fights and the scenarios using the voodoos dolls like the big raising stairs after the vile trap. The music was really beautfiul and fits well with the atmosphere.

I found a unclosed sector in your map , you must correct it.

Conclusion : A big non-linear map with epic encounters.

V3 of my map. Doubled up some triggers so hopefully nothing breaks now. I also added a teleporter in the final area to the bridge so if you want to revisit another area after dropping down, you can.

I tried to tweak the Cybruiser vs Rocket Launcher scroller as the gate was reopening way too early, but it feels awkward to gauge it. The cybruiser seems to take about 13 rockets, but when I made the scroller slower the gate didn't open for about 10 seconds after the fight ended, and after further tweaking and testing, I ended up back where I started o.o

I don't think a lengthier lock-in would add anything to the cybruiser fight. The short one is perfect because it prevents bypassing the fight immediately, and most of the threat is around the moment of the reveal anyway.

Here are two demos for V3, using RC2 as a resource wad. It's an FDA past the 1st zombieman popup (wasn't recording at first, but was hard to resist after that). In what I intended as a max, a secret manc doesn't warp in. None of the scroller conveyors loop, so a lot of stuff is susceptible to blocking, which I think is important to fix. The Entryway 'got me' by the way. I was pretty sure I loaded files wrong. Overall, it's a fun map, and all the transformations were great.    

V0.96

- Fixed unclosed sector in the sky transfers box

- Fixed node glitch near the megasphere

- Secret cells at the south of the bastille now accessible with a forward run

- Lower unpegged/texture fixes on the orange walkway

Here is my review for @dobu gabu maru surprise map . I hid it in a spoiler because it's supposed to be the secret map of Mayhem Orange for obvious reasons

DEMOS

Spoiler

0/5 , just a shitty copy-paste of a legendary wad by an uninspired mapper.

Just joking , it has a fun concept but is hard as balls. I needed tens of tries before managing to kill the 30 cyberdemons without dying. The beginning was quite useless and annoying to be honest because you must kill two cyberdemons in their holes in less than 30 seconds. I didn't have a lot of problem to kill them with 2 BFG shots thanks to ToD's training maps. I recorded 5 demos on your map , mainly because I was "2SLO" or because the demos started to be too long. Just watch the fifth demo if you want to see the map completed (with some deaths before)

I loved how we enter in the large orange arena , typically the kind of oddities you can find only in DGM's maps. The arena looks also beautiful , with beautiful weird decorations in the background. Without kidding , the texture "Allblack" is one of my favourite and I digged the massive usage of it in your map.

Killing all the cybers was way harder than I expected because I thought at the very beginning that you can win the level by just circle strafing. Cybers can in fact be teleported everywhere in order to keep them very scattered. You only have two invulnerability spheres which you must use them very intelligently because it will never be enough to beat 30 angry cyberdemons. I managed to find a strategy in order to gather them and kill the most possible while I was invicible.

Moreover , you have to improve your tightrope walker skills because the ammo and the megaspheres are situated on very thin ledges. You can fortunately  go up if you fall (except if you jump off the arena) but nasty cybies may finish you sadistically while you are waiting the lift. It frustrated me a lot at the beginning but the more I tried again , the more  I had fun because I became more and more. accurate in my moves. I had consequently enough motivation to beat your level.

Also , I found funny that your map has not even the highest number of cyberdemons. Wilou's map actually has 52 cybies but a lot of them are used as turrets. MORE CYBIES WOULD HAVE NOT BEEN TOO MUCH IN YOUR WOW MAP.

Pros : A lot of cyberdemons and weird stuff

Cons : Not enough cyberdemons

I've reviewed all maps , I will replay Aquila Chrysaetos and Nirvana's level tomorrow. I've made a rough personal rank of the easiest maps to the hardest.

1- DanielAlexander

2 - Redead-ita

3 - Needhealth

4 - Ozku

5 - Aquila Chrysaetos

6- Crunchynut44

7 - Eris Falling (Should be placed in the first slot imo despite it's quite challenging gameplay)

8 - Walter Confetti

9 - Marcaek/Breezeep

10 - Paul977

11 - Carboxylicsacid (Hard but very short)

12  - Amok

13 - Scotty

14 - Demonologist

15 - Pinchy

16 - Obsidian

17 - Nirvana

18 - Valkiriforce

19 - Roofi

20 - Benjogami

21 - Dobu Gabu Maru (must be used as a secret map in any case)

22 - Wilou-84 (must be the final map according to me , the last fight is really epic).

Edited by Roofi