Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

MAYhem 2018 - Orange Version!

My turn to post some reviews.

I'm not technically finished with Purple yet, but I'll get some more of those tomorrow.

I'm in no shape to do this, right now, but I'm hardcore fucking insane, so let's do it anyway.

RC-2

MAP01 @NeedHealth

Pistol start, UV

Easy enough. The only real problem I noticed was the HOM at the ethereal soul trap in the orange nukage tunnel where a small area of the floor was higher than the rest, then another lower after it was raised back up.

The only area that forced a restart was the Hades Sphere trap, because I ran headlong into one trying to get away.

I was drowning in ammo at the end. I mean, I had full everything I could and still had plenty of shell boxes just setting around unused. I know Roofi doesn't like lack of ammo (which is fine and understandable), but I'm sort of the converse. A lot of that ammo was useless to me because I didn't have any need for it.

The combat was fairly simple, though often times encounters with the souls were easy because they almost always wound up fighting themselves instead of me.

I was somewhat confused at the switch in the orange nukage tunnel because I thought it started the little crusher, but I figured it out soon enough.

Overall, not bad, but way too much ammo for me.

Alright, I've gathered the (hopefully) newest versions of each map and I'll be posting a new compilation tomorrow. Apologies for the white noise on my end: life's a beach and I'm merely an errant umbrella in the wind.

Just wanna say I haven't been able to reproduce that effect with the bridge that Roofi mentioned, so I don't see much reason to update my map other than possibly including little extra health or ammunition, or if any other potential bugs should be found.

1 hour ago, valkiriforce said:

Just wanna say I haven't been able to reproduce that effect with the bridge that Roofi mentioned, so I don't see much reason to update my map other than possibly including little extra health or ammunition, or if any other potential bugs should be found.

I saw the same effect in others maps after I tested yours. It disturbed me at first but I realized that it was normal in Boom mapping so it was not really a bug.

Alrighty, here's compilation number 3! With any luck this should have all the latest map versions. I also updated my map in accordance with the feedback and added some difficulty settings.

I have noticed some errors that i made on the map, and i thankfully fixed them.

Redmay.zip

To note, if you see the spider mastermind in my map then try to update the recources.

EDIT: Updated the map again this time i added more fixes that sorta annoyed me when i checked.

Edited by Redead-ITA

On 6/22/2018 at 4:44 PM, Roofi said:

Also , I found funny that your map has not even the highest number of cyberdemons

Originally I was going to make the map have 100 cyberdemons, but found that it was agonizingly tedious and way too luck based at a mere 50. The only thing I was considering is ditching the second invul, as that's how I played the map most of the time. Do you think that'd be too cruel or no?

Also in the original version the orange pits were inescapable, so consider the long lift wait while cybers pelt you with rockets a merciful compromise :P

Blazing Gospel v3

- sprinkled some more ammo throughout

- removed a couple ethereal souls from the cave on all difficulties, replaced the two in the beginning of the map with shotgunners on HMP

- made the switch revealing the startan key secret a bit more noticeable (+an additional visual clue)

- misc. cosmetic fixes and corrected misalignments here and there.

Thanks to everyone who played the map and left feedback and demos, especially to @Roofi for such dedication and extensive writeups, you're awesome.

Cheers!

Flops.

Alright, hopefully the lack of posts in here means that everyone is satisfied with their work. =D 

...Ehh, I'm an optimist. That aside, I'm close to having a polished beta for MAYhem Orange up and running. I just need a couple things:

-An epilogue map: I'll likely do this myself, unless someone else has a burning desire to do it.

-An INTERPIC: ideally I'd like a custom INTERPIC of the Doomguy entering a Pokemon Center, but I might not get to be that picky. Thoughts are appreciated!

-A map name for the collab @Breezeep and Marcaek did.

-Difficulty settings for the maps by @DanielAlexanderand Breezeep/Marcaek.

I think that covers everything. Again, cheers heaps to all the people who gave feedback!

blah sorry obsidian, I still need to fix some spawns but I keep not getting round to it. I'll get that done soon!

I was hoping to have a few fresh ideas coming back to my map after a few weeks break but nope - nothing! Ah well, I've at least fixed any bugs I could find/remember and I've removed a few of the Cybruisers since they got buffed. Also cleaned up the error-messages on startup so it looks like a proper map now.

SBUT-1107

Update to the collab map between me and @Marcaek. I've fixed a few things and made some slight visual and gameplay changes. It's been like 2 months since I touched this map, so I'm kinda done with it at the moment. The difficulty settings aren't fully finished, so if anyone capable wants to have a stab at it, be my guest.

I have this hosted on ZDaemon now:

Broken Glass Breakfast - Mayhem 18 Orange - RC3

zds://37.247.54.67:10601

I had to rebuild the nodes for it to load in ZDaemon.

First off, an apology: I know that updates haven't been coming as thick and fast from me as they should've been over the past few weeks and I fully take the blame for that. Between managing the speedmapping sessions this month and general lethargy, I haven't had an awful amount of headspace for MAYhem compiling.

That changes now. I have the polished beta for MAYhem Orange coming soon and I'll soon be able to say the same for Purple: Orange will definitely be out before July ends and I'm gonna strive to make sure Purple follows suit. Watch this space!

I've got a couple of small multiplayer fixes to do for my map, do you want 'em before or after the beta?

At this point, multiplayer isn't a major focus unless we get a dedicated set of MP playtesters on board. Also I kind of heavily use silent teleporting lines in my map and that's just a bunch of headaches waiting to happen. :P I reckon it can wait for now.

Done a quick run through on RC3 with ZDaemon. Some of the things we found:

map01 - can get stuck down here

FBR01OC.png

map02 - texture misalignment

QthaD1p.png

map04 - coop ammo at start maybe

map06 - invisible wall here. The switch on the upper level behind opens the wall, but the wall is invisible when it is closed.

nixaywt.png

map07 - cannot finish the map, area with cybers and pinkies never opens

map08 - coop ammo is really needed

map12 - no guns?, needs coop tele, see screenshot

2UXRSe8.png

map18 - needs coop ammo

map19 - cannot progress past here if someone already went through

w6gT04Q.png

V5P0hXu.png

map20 - hall of mirrors here:

oImQHFx.png

map31 - don't think this map is finished, but you can fall down and get trapped here:

YGoQGRm.png

One other thing, the Hades elemental has problems in ZDaemon. It will lead to ZDaemon eventually crashing. I confirmed this by just creating 1 map with a few Hades elementals. After a few minutes of ruining around, the process crashes. Some other observations. When thr lost soul limit has been reached, the Hades elementals do not fire the mancubus flames also. The red gas blobs can kill the Hades elementals. This is also awarded to the player as damage that they actually inflicted.

Edited by damo2k

Cheers for the MP report Damo2K, I'll see what we can do. I wouldn't say that MAP31 is unfinished though. :P

Anyhoo, listen up! This is the first polished compilation of MAYhem Orange, with a (not quite final) maplist and set of graphics. I also made an epilogue map to round things out: I think it's neat. :3 Feedback on the overall compilation is greatly encouraged and I'll be hammering out the kinks over the next week.

Now for Purple...

Oh yeah, and let me know if you see any decorations out of place: you'll know them if you see 'em.

v5

This should be the last update from me, coop-only chaingun and bullets added to the start area. Rather than add a co-op tele to the YK room I've reworked the mechanic:

Originally the door would re-open faster than usual if you had the rocket launcher from the secret earlier in the map - there were two voodoo dolls at different speeds and the secret would control which doll triggered the re-open line. In ZDaemon, the door remained closed forever if you didn't get the secret, the reason being that the scroller line was 20 units long, and in ZDaemon, anything under 22 is taken as 0. Genius.

I've scrapped the mechanic completely and the door re-opens from a 40-long scroller regardless of whether you got the secret or not, something of a midpoint between the two original setups. The idea is kind of a waste of time when players can bring in weapons from a previous map anyway.

1 hour ago, Obsidian said:

Oh yeah, and let me know if you see any decorations out of place: you'll know them if you see 'em.

Yup, some gore thingies have been turned into grass. :)

Could you please replace all instances of "Bloody Mess 2" in my map with "Bloody Mess 1" ?
Thanks, and props for compiling all this.

...why would you use Bloody Mess 2? 0_o

XD I can fix that, cheers for reporting it.

Alright, a couple of points about the current compilation. I didn't write these last night on account of it being late and me being sleepy.

-Co-op! From the outset this was never something I actively thought about for the project, which might be because I'm an antisocial basket of fuck who never plays Doom with other people. I'll see about getting a few MP experts in to get their thoughts, but in the meantime I'd be more than happy to hear thoughts from you guys.

-MAP15. Currently that slot is occupied by @Benjogami's Heatmonger, which I think is a fitting place for it. It does however mean that it'll need a secret exit to accommodate Dobu's MAP31. I can probably add one myself, but if Benjo would like to handle it that'd be much more preferable.

-MAP02. As I pointed out in my initial review of this, it's somewhat obvious that this map was an early effort and I've been doubtful of its inclusion. I'm not saying that it's terrible or anything, but if @Redead-ITA wants the map to stay then it's going to need something of a facelift. If anyone would like to neaten up the map a little and make it look spiffy then let me know, but otherwise I'll try tackling it myself.

-Music credits! I need music credits from @CarboxylicAcids@Breezeep, @valkiriforce and @dobu gabu maru.

-There's also the errors pointed out by Damo2K above, but I can probably fix these myself unless someone has a burning need to do it themselves.

I think that covers everything for now. Thoughts on the matter are appreciated.

Well, my map isn't exactly coop supportive. My maps never are, really, I just put the starts there and gear them toward making it not-broken.

Since the only issue noted in my map was a small texture misalignment in the crate room (most likely beneath a light), I think I could ask Obsidian to fix that, because it's probably up to four and only by eight units.