Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

MAYhem 2018 - Orange Version!

Here's a couple remarks on the revamped map 02 :

- Near the beginning, a Sergeant (thing 134) is blocked into the wall.

- The first three Hades Spheres we see are stuck into each other (things 7, 8 and 9).

- The yellow door (sector 230) should have a visual indicator that it needs the yellow key.

- In co-op mode, if the player carrying the STARTAN key dies before the STARTAN door could be opened, then all the other players will get stuck. It's unlikely because the rest of the map is easy, but you never know.

On map 03, there a misplaced grass decoration near the beginning (thing 123).
Having a quick look at all the other maps, there doesn't seem to be any more of these "Bloody mess 2" things though.

Using GZDoom. The message on this door in MAP05 is "You need a Green Key to activate this object". The key in the map is a Red Skull Key. Is that a fixable thing in Dehacked, or does the door tag need to be a Boom 6-key-type action? I thought I also saw this occur in one of the first four maps, but I'm not sure.

yYJWFg6.png

Cheers heaps to y'all for picking up on the bugs and such! The latest beta is here and hopefully I've managed to net them all.

I don't want to break the mood but meh... Here is a graphic bug because I used a wrong nodebuilder again...

doom0110.jpg

Truth be told, I saved your map with different nodes for ZDaemon compatibility: I might've been the cause of that screw-up. Eheh.

Cheers for the update though, I'll pop that in as soon as I can.

Played MAP13 (RC6) twice in GZDoom. The first time, 14 monsters never teleported in. The second time, 16 monsters, always from the same closets. I assume most of these are missing/un-joined sound sectors and blocked teleport landing spots, but sector tag 87 is 32 units below the teleport linedefs. There is no linedef tag 87 which raises it so the Revenants can teleport out, like sector tag 76 on either side of it. Was that a typo? Was that one supposed to be sector tag 76 also?

Also, sector tag 61, the AV column sector in the exit room - sector walls should probably be tagged impassable so an AV can't jump you into it. You'd be stuck. Assuming you don't die fast.

Also also, noticed STFGOD0 is in the wad twice. The original with the yellow eyes is still there.

Spoiler

fdEZiWM.png

Edit: Forgot to mention, there is a missing second sidedef lower texture on the step on line 6414. It's only visible after the sector tagged 36 next to it drops to NNF.

Edited by EffinghamHuffnagel

Map19 - 

Linedef tag 44 switch can be triggered from the low floor before you've raised it to switch level. Not a biggie. You still have to kill Cybers to get out of the room.

The exit is kinda obvious, but there should probably be an exit sign somewhere just to be consistent.

Sector 644, the light sector on either side of the BFG secret is also tagged secret. Can't be scored.

Hm, you're definitely sure that you have the latest beta? I zapped that bug with the secret light sectors in the last update, as you can see by WH-Wilou84's comment above. Nevertheless, cheers for the detailed bug reports and I'm pleased to deliver the latest beta!

Linky.

Hey there @WH-Wilou84, a couple remarks regarding Volcaropod: indeed it's like Umbreion Nils expanded, with a hint of Crucifix Held Close perhaps. Certainly enjoyable and entertaining overall, yet I can't help but to mention that the green key cyber madness isn't exactly in line with the rest of the map, clashing with the smooth curve you mentioned upon submitting. I may not be the best dodger in the 'verse, but still, upon arriving into that area with 200/200 without picking up any of the megaspheres I kept steadily losing both of those by the time the revenant wave arrived, craving for at least one more, and those AVs that arrive with them - what a PITA, really, there are more than enough things to worry about by then...

The problem is, the rest of the map (including the finale; let me compliment you on that btw, as it's just incredibly fun, the kind of slaughter scenario that makes me orgasmic) is quite generous with all kinds of health pickups that allow the player to go above 100% even without the secret areas (and with said secret areas the player is about to drown in soulspheres for the rest of the map). So yes, would be two possible ways to make things more sharp: either making these kind of supplies more scarce for the rest of the map (i.e. essentially making the whole map harder) or facilitating the green key scenario in particular. For the latter, after several runs I came up with these suggestions (only one should suffice, though of course there's nothing wrong with combining any of them should the need in that arise):

- adding one more megasphere, it could be placed on a lift or something like that to avoid the accidental pickup;

- nixing the AVs accompanying the revenant wave, as revs themselves combined with those damn cybs around the perimeter are quite a headache on their own;

- making the blast shield last several seconds longer.

Seeing that you've been making some really hard stuff as of late - I'm not quite sure you'd be willing to bother with all that haha; still - I think these can be worth considering should you feel like making that smooth curve, well, smooth, heh.

Cheers, and keep up the good work!

Thanks for your time and for suffering through the whole ordeal, Demonologist. :)

I'll certainly bother re-adjusting - even though the MAYhem series has always been kinda all over the place in terms of difficulty (see MAYhem 2016 or both versions of MAYhem 2018), I certainly don't want this map to be too insanely hard.

You're right, for now this fight for the green key is slightly harder than the ending, and this is surely not what I want.

Instead of making the whole map harder, I think it's best if I remove the Arch-Viles in the wave you mentioned. I'll probably leave them for Co-op mode though, just to send my kind regards to the ZDaemon TNS people.

I'll upload a new version today.

Eheh.

Yeah, this is kind of on me: with this, the speedmapping session on the weekend and the recent update of Maskim Xul, it's been a bit difficult to order my brain. I still want to get both MAYhems completely done and dusted before the end of the month though, so feel free to hold me to that.

*inhales deeply*

Hi hi hi, sorry this is very last minute but the last remaining active member of TeamTNS is currently without internet so I've been rushing to get things set up - we'll be playing the odd-numbered maps of this WAD tonight on ZDaemon Thursday Night Survival, we don't know if the WAD is actually going to work because older versions had issues with crashing the server (Hades elemental) but hopefully those are all fixed now, if it doesn't then well fuck dude I'm trying my best over here.

Session starts in 1 hour 40 minutes from the time of this post, everyone welcome!

Some not-MP specific bugs.

MAP09: You can get stuck in this little gap between crates if you fall in

Spoiler

Coop-20180928-151530.png.70f76eb4df203b0b5de721a8df5ab7d2.png

MAP21: Stuck here - this may vary by port - you can escape if you walk forward a bit in GZDoom, but nevertheless it's kinda janky, probably just better to widen the gap a bit and raise the cell pack a bit so you still have to drop down on to it.

Spoiler

Coop-20180928-152609.png.d432ecc31207b182bb6a595402824fbb.png

1 hour ago, Eris Falling said:

MAP21: Stuck here - this may vary by port - you can escape if you walk forward a bit in GZDoom, but nevertheless it's kinda janky, probably just better to widen the gap a bit and raise the cell pack a bit so you still have to drop down on to it.

Thanks, yeah it works fine in PrBoom but I guess I could just fix it for good.

Here's the update :

MAYhem2018Orange_WH01_v0_28-09-2018.zip

And we are finally underway with compiling! I've grabbed the latest versions of MAP07 and MAP21 and I'll be implementing them now.

@Eris Falling Both of those problems with the bars are linked to the use of voodoo dolls. I know that those can sometimes have odd effects in MP, so any ideas as to how they should be fixed? I ain't a multiplayer guy. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dolls won't move in ZDaemon if their scroller line is shorter than 22 units, and a flag needs to be checked for them to even appear in the first place afaik, but I don't think they are the issue in this case. These bars/doors operate as initially intended, but are re-opened again from inside the rooms they lead to. If a player goes in and dies without re-opening those, then the area remains closed off with the other players stuck outside unable to open them - generally this is simple enough to fix by setting the outside lines to door open wait close, lift lower, etc.

Indeed we can! I am proud to present what is hopefully the final release of MAYhem: Orange Edition!

M_DOOM.png.727ae760050352d1c4bc05d5708a8f27.png

With any luck this should have the updated versions of every single map, polished to a mirror shine! I also did some tweaks across the board, mostly making sure the doors displayed the correct messages. I'll likely leave this here for a week or so to let everyone look it over and then (barring catastrophe) we can finally upload this bad boy to the archives! Thanks to everyone who contributed to this project, from mapping to testing to graphics: it couldn't have happened without you guys. :)

in map 1 there seems to be a sector issue in this doorway after the revs.. the map analysis thing in gzdb throws up quite a few errors 

Screenshot (592).png

The link has been updated with a few minor fixes: cheers to Megablast and Marcaek for finding them. Link is the same.