• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yakfak

magic: the gathering folks

i've just been looking through my old boxes of cards and wondering

a) what the hell to do with them all and

b) if any doomworld people play, or use to play

and c) how teh scene is now, how do you play and whether yr a casual, a casual who spends too much money cos you look at tourney results or a full blown pro

and and d) why all magic sets can't be as full of good stuff as visions, or tempest, or eventide or future sight

Used to play casually until college, where it was quite popular among nerds. But these were like, next level nerds with insufferable attitudes (e.g. screaming "BOOM HEADSHOT" when winning with their $500 combo deck or whatever). 

The idea of the premade deck bores me, I liked to play the sealed format but that's not exactly financially sustainable. There's some nice open-source software out there that facilitates the playing m:tg virtually, but I dunno it's not as enjoyable as face to face with friends who also suck at the game.

Visions has aged very poorly. Tempest for its time was my favourite set, but even it's aged quite a bit. Future Sight was really good but not as good as Time Spiral. Most of the recent sets have been superb, other than Dragon's Maze, Journey into Nyx, Born of the Gods, and Battle for Zendikar. 

^mmm obviously teh creatures in Visions have lost pace with teh modern ones but the spells in Visions are still fascinating and weird, from teh obviously too good vampiric tutor to cool high-volume casual stuff like anvil of bogardan and song of blood, i'll defend that set forever :)) then again I don't entirely have a handle on what's good now... watching the twitch stream for the Pro tour events is strangely unenlightening to me

The new Dominaria set is really, really excellent. My favourite set overall is Innistrad, which is easily the most popular set. 

Ah, Magic...

a) I have a really small collection, but I like to keep it organised by color, card type and mana cost (I put the stack on my desk and just let it be).

b) I started playing pretty recently, with the Ixalan set and I also got a bunch of cards from Rivals of Ixalan, which I enjoyed a bit more as a set, but that's it, because I don't want to spend more money on cards right now and I haven't played a game in a while, so it would be useless to build another deck.

By the way, I have a vampire deck for my main and it was super fun playing it, although it can be a bit inconsistent at times. I loved two cards in particular. Ravenous Chupacabra (it is a really dirty card and I was very happy when I killed a 12/12 trample dino in prerelease, with a 4 mana 2/2 creature) and my personal favourite, my promo Tetzimoc (Not worth much, but I love that dino!!! It is a machine of destruction once you manage to summon him on the battlefield)

c) I only play casually in Standard. I think that with so many cards allowed in Modern, I would get raped if I tried to enter a fight with my deck (tried battling a temur energy/vehicles guy in standard, without knowing what temur is and I still got raped, so I guess Modern would be considerably harder. And Commander requires too many cards. Plus, I don't want to spend more than 50 euros on a deck (heck, that seems really high too, even though it is supposed to be cheap I guess).

d) Dunno about older sets, but I have heard some good words about those and I have seen a bunch of strong cards here and there. I would second Innistrad or Shadows over Innistrad (liked the story a lot in these ones and I enjoyed Avacyn, Nahiri, the rest of the angels, Sorin, e.t.c.). Are there any other sets that go so grim dark with their theme?

I mostly play in my spare time at university since there's some other players there, we play something like a budget legacy format (no duals, no FoW, etc) since we're broke. If you want to compete in tournments, tier 1 decks can be pretty expansive even in standard or modern, but there are always budget options (like manaless dredge and stuff like that). Also, there are good and bad mtg sets and that's how life is so yeh.