Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr.Rocket

The Bad Place - Deathmatch

Pretty neat! I loaded this up with Samsara and nothing seemed to be broken, though the weapon placement was a little off because of Samsara's slot system, but that's not a big deal. Looks like a good choice for Samsara duels.

You're one of the reasons I got into mapping, I remember you sharing your whacko maps in deathmatch circles circa 1999/2000.

Look forward to firing this map up, most Quake projects leave a lot to be desired, so you have my hopes up!

Thanks guys!

@Turbo Saber, Ah good!

Feel free to make whatever adjustments to the items for Samsara if you want, just call it Bad_Place_Sam, or something.

The item placements will be a little screwy do to the fact that the wad is meant to run with QStuff, which has random weapon spawn thing types.

@Vorpal, well that's good to hear that I got you into mapping, I think? :)

Hah, you may be referring to Plexydome? I'm not sure. It was a fairly abstract map, and well 3dfloors were new at the time so it was new to me too.

I made a lot of maps around the time but never released them, other than a few small examples for editing docs etc.

Oh yeah, aside from Mega4 and Mega5 of course, I did a remake of a Quake 3 map also.

The Bad Place is a rather small layout as you know, but it is stacked and the teleports make for some slightly different surprise/getaway/surprise gameplay.

If you have time, let me know how any play test goes.

Btw I was thinking of perhaps mirroring the map with an outdoor area between the 2 and turning it into a CTF version also. - maybe

And while I stay in the "Quake mind state", I may end up doing a remake of dm6, "The Dark Zone", if you remember that one.

Thanks again! 

Seems to perfectly capture the Quake feel, love the look!

Posted (edited)

I love whole quake and dm4. Screenshots look fantastic, I'll try it for sure under Zandronum.

The dark zone - building room with a teleporter and stairs stick out of the walls (perforator room) will be time cosuming.

I think this would be more interesting if you used the Quake layouts but did them with Doom textures, weapons, and gameplay.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

@Doomkid, ah good to hear! be sure to check it out with QStuff in Zan if you haven't. :)

@Teder, Thanks! 

The Dark Zone will indeed take a little longer and there are a couple places in which I'll no doubt need to add poly objects in order to recreate the functionality. If at all possible, I'll try not to use them though. The rest will require some 3dfloor trickery, but it shouldn't be too time consuming. 

There's actually over 50 3dfloor control sectors in The Bad Place, which is a lot considering the size of the map. This was mainly due to the fact that there's several places where the areas needed to overlap but not exactly on top of one another.

@Woolie Wool, heh if I were to do that it wouldn't so much be a remake anymore, aside from just the map layout. :)

Not that I hadn't thought about it while drawing the maps first few linedefs, I had QStuff Ultra loaded as a resource while doing so. (which was really a big part of the reason behind making the map). And once seeing the models in game and seeing how the placement totally changed the game play, it forced me to continue with what I was doing. 

@Mr.Rocket I've just played your map. Huge work! Many years ago I was working on 3d floors stuff in doom and I know how much time it consumes. Incredible stuff!

Thanks guys!

@Jon, Actually I haven't seen this particular one, and it's pretty good considering the time the mapping took place. It's a good concept with it being impossible to create any sort of floor over floor stuff back then, aside from the up coming doom legacy around that time. Thanks for the find! I actually looked around to see if there were any other reversions of "The Bad Place" before hand and came up with nothing. I suppose the wad I've just made here is somewhat special in that aspect of the Quake to Doom gender over 20 years later.  :P

There are some other Quake to Doom remakes out there having to do with specific maps which are actually pretty good and they all scream "hay don't forget me!" basically. And I wonder who all appreciates them today as we do.

@Teder, Thanks man!

I'll see what all I get done on The Dark Zone tonight, it's currently only about 2%. :)

Cheers

~ Just a heads up, I don't plan on remaking all the Quake DM maps, just the ones I like most.