Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Remilia Scarlet

[UPDATED] Umbra of Fate - v1.2 (8 Nov 2018)

It's so nice and lots of purple, sadly my laptop screams in pain and makes fps drop. I'll try optimise my stuff and try once more. 

17 minutes ago, Myst.Haruko said:

It's so nice and lots of purple, sadly my laptop screams in pain and makes fps drop. I'll try optimise my stuff and try once more. 

From my own experience, the toughest areas for your computer are going to be the opening area, and the Courtyard area.  Other areas shouldn't be quite as bad.

It's not a critical issue, but playing with 4:3 ratio cuts the left side of the title in the beginning:

Spoiler

AUmdI7U.png

At any rate, this looks really beautiful. Congratulations on the release. :)

Just now, antares031 said:

It's not a critical issue, but playing with 4:3 ratio cuts the left side of the title in the beginning:

Hide contents

AUmdI7U.png

At any rate, this looks really beautiful. Congratulations on the release. :)

I should have mentioned, use a 16:9 or similar ratio.  I think I mentioned something about 1280x720 in the readme...

13 minutes ago, YukiRaven said:

I should have mentioned, use a 16:9 or similar ratio.  I think I mentioned something about 1280x720 in the readme...

Ah, yes. I only read the thread in here, since I thought those are all I needed to know. The text file does have an information about it. Thanks for pointing that out!

2 hours ago, YukiRaven said:

Umbra of Fate is finally done and released!  The download links are at the bottom of this post.

Quick Overview:

• Singleplayer only
  • This is for GZDoom 3.3.x or higher
  • This uses Doom2.wad for the IWAD
  • You must include brightmaps.pk3 and lights.pk3, both of which come with GZDoom
  • dmflags/dmflags2 are both expected to be set to 0
  • Mouselook is required.  I also suggest binding Swim Up to a key (I personally used F during testing).
  • The hardware renderer is required.  So dynamic lights, high resolution texture, and 3d models are required.  Enabling bloom is encouraged, but not necessary.  Shadowmaps (gl_light_shadowmap) can be used as well, but there's some visual artifacts in some places with them enabled since it wasn't designed with them in mind.
  • No jumping/crouching (these should already be disabled via MAPINFO anyway)
  • Additional mods are not supported
  • Designed for a widescreen resolution (16:9, 16:10, etc) of at least 1280x720

Like my last mapset, Shadows of The Nightmare Realm, the premise is inspired by H.P. Lovecraft.  The story takes place many years before Doom 1, and revolves around a man (NOT the Doomguy) who is on vacation and is out enjoying a day of hunting while his wife and infant son are at home. After a long and boring day, he starts walking back to his car, only to discover a ravine that wasn't there before.  Feeling an unusually strong urge to find out what lurks beyond the ravine, he jumps down into it and heads out into the dark, foggy forest night.  The rest of the story is told in the level itself through additional (skippable) text.

Umbra of Fate an experimental map, where I tried to push the type of gameplay that I personally enjoy to the limit rather than trying to include something for everyone.  So expect an emphasis on dark, spooky areas; intense colored lighting; an emphasis on fights with a smaller number of tough enemies; a mix of Quake, Doom 64, and Doom 3 inspired map design; and interesting boss fights.  It's also one giant level (12,000+ sectors), conceptually split into four areas that are roughly equal to one level each.

Difficulty settings can be adjusted in the level itself right at the beginning.

The music is all done by me, and is under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International license.  If you'd like, you can grab the soundtrack from my website: https://www.partition36.com/discography/umbra-of-fate/

This will probably be my final Doom map for quite a few years, so I hope you all enjoy it ^_^

Obligatory screenshots are behind the spoiler*:

Hide contents

m5evaiy.png

aq5cZX9.png

WaddLms.png

prxhOCT.png

hfa78Mo.png

SznAnFF.png

7Sk0qcp.png

Ek942Pk.png

YuTdICo.png

Rq7EXib.png

dWf0TbQ.png

wFCgEnj.png

BDA92qa.png

bTNO5LH.png

9AIJ10V.png

KNlsp2X.png

zueOsDj.png

AO048EF.png

RMUtvW9.png

TmqqcbW.png

uL8kRHB.png

Download Links:

* Yeah I know about the misaligned skull textures in the screenshots.  Those were already fixed :-P

This look simply amazing :D 

Congrats on the release at long last! I'll be sure to blast through this bad boy on stream some time in the nearish future. Might be a multiple-sitting playthrough, but we'll see.

Go on, run along, you can finally sink your teeth into Quake mapping like you wanted! ;D

I've been looking forward to this one! Sad to hear this will be your last Doom map for the foreseeable future, but I'll be sure to check out your Quake maps when they're released.

An atmospheric monster of a map with some nasty ambushes that are accentuated by the deadlier monsters. I recognised bits of Temple of Azeroth along the way when I wasn't running for my life. It's perhaps too reliant on using text messages to direct the player at times, but in the moments when I did feel a bit lost, I didn't stay lost for very long.

In summary, beautiful and deadly.

I'm gonna be brutally honest: for the level of hype I had for this, I was mildly disappointed by the "short" length, even though it still took me about an hour to finish. :P

In all seriousness, this was a very beautiful and enjoyable map. I'm already looking forward to whatever you whip up next. c:

Awesome to see this released Yuki, nice job! I'm thoroughly looking forward to giving this a play through!

YukiRaven! I recently played your Shadows of the Nightmare Realm WAD and found it to be very cool! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to finish, because I couldn't figure out how to get the teleporters to rise on the final boss level. Could you fill me in? Also this WAD looks fantastic and I'll definitely be giving it a shot!

This looks awesome, but could you please use some SetHudSize >_>

It's really hard to read text messages at 1:1 size at 1920x1080... Too smol

Otherwise I'm literally going to show this level to everyone and say "this is how you map for GZDoom" :P

btw: I suggest adding "turning on music is recommended" in the first post.

I usually turn it off due to D_RUNNIN overdose, but in this specific wad I liked it a lot (and good thing I accidentally didn't have music turned off)

Edited by ZZYZX

One bad thing I found so far: Pyrosuccubus basically oneshoots me up close, takes two SSG shots to die, and is really fast.

And with hard mode, there are 4 or 5 of them that spawn right around me without any way to escape.

The first thing to think of here is hiding in a defensive position quickly, but thing here is that when I tried hiding multiple times, they always killed me instead. So somehow only the most unobvious decision of ignoring them and running around wildly worked.

Not sure if it's THAT bad though, since overall it looks like this map is just actually being hard when I click "hard" :P

Edited by ZZYZX

2 hours ago, DarKHunTeR said:

YukiRaven! I recently played your Shadows of the Nightmare Realm WAD and found it to be very cool! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to finish, because I couldn't figure out how to get the teleporters to rise on the final boss level. Could you fill me in? Also this WAD looks fantastic and I'll definitely be giving it a shot!

They're on a timer, so they'll rise up when they're ready ^_^

2 hours ago, ZZYZX said:

This looks awesome, but could you please use some SetHudSize >_>

It's really hard to read text messages at 1:1 size at 1920x1080... Too smol

Huh... I use the same resolution and didn't have any issues. But I'll keep that in mind, for sure.

12 minutes ago, ZZYZX said:

Reveal hidden contents

Ohhhh... I can't confirm it yet since I'm literally in bed, but I bet I have my HUD scaled up a bit. I usually try to leave stuff at default, but I must have forgotten about that. My bad! I'll keep that in mind for whatever I work on next (which will be Quake, not Doom).

I'm so glad to see such a positive response from everyone so far! If you haven't picked up on it yet, UoF is the prequel to SoTNR.

48 minutes ago, YukiRaven said:

They're on a timer, so they'll rise up when they're ready ^_^

Ah, excellent! I'll have to finish it up, thanks :D

4 hours ago, YukiRaven said:

If you haven't picked up on it yet, UoF is the prequel to SoTNR.

Intriguing! Would it be ok (narrative-wise, that's is) to play this then SoTNR? Could be a fun double feature, especially since SoTNR has been kicking around on my too-long to-play list for quite a while now.

14 minutes ago, Big Ol Billy said:

Intriguing! Would it be ok (narrative-wise, that's is) to play this then SoTNR? Could be a fun double feature, especially since SoTNR has been kicking around on my too-long to-play list for quite a while now.

Yeah, I don't see why not!

Masterwork! Very and very awesome gameplay and level design. I don't even notice my framerate (35-40 FPS), because this wad is pretty f#$%ing badass. AND DAT MUSIC!!! OHHHHHH