Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Remilia Scarlet

[UPDATED] Umbra of Fate - v1.2 (8 Nov 2018)

25 minutes ago, Not Jabba said:

I just retried it and got telefragged, presumably by a script or something ("player killed himself")? So that must not have been it. Maybe just some odd little script glitch, I dunno.

13 minutes ago, YukiRaven said:

I'll take a look at the two boss scripts in the next few days

You can save yourslf the effort of messing with the first fight to figure out what happens, I already did that, and I can successfully reproduce it, too.

The way this fight glitches out is that when you don't stand directly on the teleport destination, but just close enough so that the cyberdemon doesn't fit anymore, you neither get telefragged, nor will the cybie enter the arena. As it would appear it's the thing that gives off the teleport animation that kills the player, and not the cybie's actual hitbox.

8 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

you save yourslf the effort of messing with the first fight to figure out what happens, I already did that, and I can successfully reproduce it, too.

The way this fight glitches out is that when you don't stand directly on the teleport destination, but just close enough so that the cyberdemon doesn't fit anymore, you neither get telefragged, nor will the cybie enter the arena. As it would appear it's the thing that gives off the teleport animation that kills the player, and not the cybie's actual hitbox.

Screw it, I'll redo the whole level in Quake

That makes sense, and now that I think back, it happened to me once before.  IIRC, the way I fixed it was to do a radius check for the player, and if they were within a certain distance, I directly damage the player with something like 9001 damage.  This should be effective, assuming the radius is wide enough.  My guess is that it isn't.

EDIT: yep, that's what I'm doing.  Though it looks like the radius should be large enough... I'll tinker with it sometime.

// At line 2615

if(CheckProximity(returnDest, GetActorClass(PlayerTID), GetActorProperty(cybie, APROP_Radius) + 8, 1, CPXF_NOZ)) {
    ThrustThing(Random(0, 255), 12, 0, PlayerTID);
    Thing_Damage(PlayerTID, 9001, MOD_SPLASH);
}

EDIT 2: Wait, the radius needs to be in fixed point, so adding the integer 8 is wrong.  That's the problem.

Edited by YukiRaven

18 minutes ago, YukiRaven said:

I directly damage the player with something like 9001 damage

An oddly specific number. :P

18 minutes ago, YukiRaven said:

This should be effective, assuming the radius is wide enough.  My guess is that it isn't.

Maybe I need to try something else, too. Perhaps there is a catch... I wonder what will happen if I block the teleport destination with plasma instead. To the best of my knowledge, projectiles have actual hitboxes, so maybe that's another issue that may or may not occur.... Gimme a moment, I'll check real quick.

EDIT: OK, seems projectiles don't block him.

EDIT2: Found another bug. Got stuck in this here section. Switch pressed, all things dead, can't proceed (Found this while rushing for the cybie, had to IDCLIP/IDDQD because platforms didn't raise, and I couldn get back out either, because the bars didn't lower):

Screenshot_Doom_20180509_164236.png.657c8f0185c30396b0246d1ba3a99433.png

Edited by Nine Inch Heels

that's magic. really dig that fusion of doom and quake.

50 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

It's over 9000!!!

I... Think I have that as a comment in a few places in my ACS... Gotta stay amused somehow!

I think I also put "// Nice" next to script 69.

Glad to know that it wasn't entirely my fault that last fight glitched out, I've had it happen in other maps I've played and panicked cuz I broke the map :P Other than that, and the second cyber fight, this map was a joy to play. c:

2 hours ago, Suitepee said:

Expect a fair amount of rage and ranting at GZDoom stuff

I watched the VOD for like a good half hour or so, and even though I have my share of subjective criticism in regards to how the map plays, I have to say that I very much enjoyed the custom monsters that have been added, as well as the changes to existing ones. One may argue that some monsters may be somewhat redundant in their functions, but the map overall seems far from bloated in terms of custom enemies. The change to the barons is one I consider to be actually pretty reasonable, because it turns these bullet sponges into something you're actually gonna have to pay some attention to. Not saying I'm not okay with you having your opinion, but since custom monsters don't often get discussed, I felt like perhaps I should give my 2 cents as well.

4 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I watched the VOD for like a good half hour or so, and even though I have my share of subjective criticism in regards to how the map plays, I have to say that I very much enjoyed the custom monsters that have been added, as well as the changes to existing ones. One may argue that some monsters may be somewhat redundant in their functions, but the map overall seems far from bloated in terms of custom enemies. The change to the barons is one I consider to be actually pretty reasonable, because it turns these bullet sponges into something you're actually gonna have to pay some attention to. Not saying I'm not okay with you having your opinion, but since custom monsters don't often get discussed, I felt like perhaps I should give my 2 cents as well.

I crave for good GZDoom stuff, crave for it! And after a while I somewhat adapted to the Barons having a stupidly faster projectile fire rate. My main gripe with this wad wasn't so much the custom enemies or tweaks utilised to the classic Doom gameplay, but rather the execution of said changes and some of the enemy placement throughout the wad as a whole. It leaned towards absolute dickishness at times.

Take the Barons as an example; yes you make them deadlier in a different sense, being both health sponges and having a faster projectile to deal with. And how does the wad introduce this changed threat? On Hard at least, it has two Barons immediately behind a door you open, giving the player no chance to react to this change on the first attempt other than to most likely die quickly to their faster projectiles. (there's another one placed in the Catacombs area immediately behind a door with the same dickish placement) I'm pretty sure in better wads a new enemy and/or a change to an existing one is introduced far more leniently, allowing for the player to adapt to said changes without it being a cheap shot at them.

My reactions to things tends to be different to how I view them after a moment to think about it. (it makes me something of a bizarre Doom wad critic at times I'll admit; autism is one hell of a drug!) I learnt to appreciate most of the custom enemies and the tweaks to existing ones, but not so much how YukiRaven utilised and placed most of this in a rather uniquely atmospheric wad. (the purple fogishness was awesome!) A shame really, since there were parts to this wad I enjoyed, but the gameplay frustrated me quite a bit.

7 minutes ago, Suitepee said:

It leaned towards absolute dickishness at times.

Mission accomplished 😄  I actually like this kind of gameplay, and knew going into it that it wouldn't be for everyone.  But making a map with more mainstream/popular gameplay, or that would be well liked by the majority of people, wasn't my goal.

27 minutes ago, Suitepee said:

Take the Barons as an example; yes you make them deadlier in a different sense, being both health sponges and having a faster projectile to deal with. And how does the wad introduce this changed threat? On Hard at least, it has two Barons immediately behind a door you open, giving the player no chance to react to this change on the first attempt other than to most likely die quickly to their faster projectiles.

I think my stance on gotchas is pretty well known at this point, I do have to say though that I didn't have any issues with these barons at any point in time. Whenever I open up a door, I always take a few steps back so that I can see if there's something right behind it. The two barons you had problems with never hit me once, not even on my first playthrough, and all it really takes is just taking these few steps back from the door. It's a good habit to have, and it's gonna spare you a lot of headaches in any and all kinds of maps.

I would also like to add that, even though that placement might qualify as dickish, playing a map blind on the hardest difficulty (not counting nightmare here) isn't something you should expect to do without encountering some "problems" here and there. I think UV is best kept as a difficulty that requires/rewards a certain degree of familiarity with the map in question.

So, me personally, I'm kinda inbetween the two positions here. On one hand I can understand that getting floored like that leaves a certain taste in your mouth, on the other hand I would argue that the frustration you put on display there might have been a bit misplaced, since there were things you should/could have done that would have given you much better odds in that particular situation.

Gotta take it easy 😉

I haven't played the level yet, but if the baron is introduced behind a door which you open, it doesn't sound dickish at all. For me, it would be dickish if it was a trap with no way to retreat and together with other monsters such as arch-villes lol

is there is a way to play the mod without the custom weapons because i like to add some variety to my playthroughs using other weapons sets ? 

11 minutes ago, generalx88 said:

is there is a way to play the mod without the custom weapons because i like to add some variety to my playthroughs using other weapons sets ? 

With what little understanding I have on how custom weapons are implemented I am afraid that's not going to happen unless either you yourself remove the custom assets from the pk3 to avoid conflicts with mods, or there is a version that does not use custom assets at all made by the author.

2 hours ago, generalx88 said:

Not unless you do like Nine Inch Heels said and remove them from the pk3 itself.  This would entail modifying the player class and, iirc, MAPINFO.txt.  Also modify ZSCRIPT.txt so that the chaingunners act like normal again.  Then you'd remove the assets. You'd also need to modify the level itself and ACS since I'm pretty sure I hard coded some things.

Supporting external mods has never been on my list of priorities for any of my projects. In UoF's case specifically, I had a clear vision for what I wanted from the start, and adding the possibility of external changes diluted this too much.

What can I say about this Mod? Well to be honest I may be short in words because I don't tend to write a long to be honest.

I will just start with this single image.. (Which I hope it sends)

All I can say is: Wow.

It's just a very amazing artwork you have made here, it's pretty much unique for me and I have never seen in my life as a Doomer such graphics in a very neat gameplay which, as a DooM player for ''lots'' of years, is so 'calm', treacherous and cool!

I also liked a lot the soundtrack on this mod which, to add more points, it was made by you and not taken/edited/made by someone else for this single 'massive' map.

My respects to this, I really loved it and I will play your other mod ''Shadows of the Nightmare Realm''!

By the way, could you tell me which song plays in the Ending? The last dialogue said by the protagonist to be (even) more specific, because I like the gloomy instrumental tune which fits on a horror wad hah.

(P.S: Ignore everything that shows up there, I was lazy to resize the image in the editor lmao)

Captura de pantalla (1453).png

1 hour ago, Archanhell said:

By the way, could you tell me which song plays in the Ending? The last dialogue said by the protagonist to be (even) more specific, because I like the gloomy instrumental tune which fits on a horror wad hah.

That's the only song I didn't compose myself.  It's Gymnopédies by Erik Satie.  I took a MIDI of it, recorded it with my own instruments, then modified the sound to be creepy.  The rest of the music was recorded AND composed by me.

Glad you enjoyed the level! ^_^

16 hours ago, YukiRaven said:

That's the only song I didn't compose myself.  It's Gymnopédies by Erik Satie.  I took a MIDI of it, recorded it with my own instruments, then modified the sound to be creepy.  The rest of the music was recorded AND composed by me.

Glad you enjoyed the level! ^_^

And it did sounded creepy! Nice job with that and the rest of the Soundtrack, you gained a subscriber on YT too

And yeah I really enjoyed that level, keep up with those artworks in your next projects!

On 6/20/2018 at 9:47 PM, YukiRaven said:

Not unless you do like Nine Inch Heels said and remove them from the pk3 itself.  This would entail modifying the player class and, iirc, MAPINFO.txt.  Also modify ZSCRIPT.txt so that the chaingunners act like normal again.  Then you'd remove the assets. You'd also need to modify the level itself and ACS since I'm pretty sure I hard coded some things.

Supporting external mods has never been on my list of priorities for any of my projects. In UoF's case specifically, I had a clear vision for what I wanted from the start, and adding the possibility of external changes diluted this too much.

o.k thanks it was just an optional thing i had in mind

You've probably seen this, but just in case:

TL;DW: he liked everything except the boss fights.

Aye, I still need to play Shadows of the Nightmare Realm.

Once I complete it I will leave feedback on its corresponding thread!

By the way, thanks to this mod I can enjoy mods way more than before (Using brightmaps and lights make the mods I play better than thought!)