Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Double Impact

Posted (edited)

*escapes from a deadly trap relatively unscathed*

Wow, I'm doing pretty well at this, let's keep calm. Oh look a spectre is in front of me. Let's jus-

*spectre from behind traps*

*NaZa dies*

Category 1, E1M3 while going down a 100+ monster secret... I reckon I could've exited the map already had I not gone there, judging by how many monsters there were. Regrets aplenty. Death is eerily similar to Anima's death in UR.

Basically I escaped from said trap and I was like "Yes I'm finally escaping this area! Now I can go get the normal exit because survival > placement on the board." and that extremely easy trap just caught me offguard. I don't know what else to say really. It was all going so well the first two maps, even though the traps are really easy to telegraph because the authors don't know what the "Secret" linedef flag is for. Too bad it had to end this way, up to entering that secret I'd say it was my best showing yet (maybe except UR).

Bottom of the table here I come.

NaZa_dbimpact_Ironman.zip

Edited by NaZa

Would runs of the version included in Freedoom be accepted? The main differences are the second and third maps being swapped so that the secret exit works in episode 4, and a few details are removed for the sake of pure vanilla compatibility. I'm pretty sure most if not all of those details are out of bounds anyway and as such only affect the visuals. Of course, if runs of that version just aren't accepted then it's easy enough to download the PWAD version, which I do already have, but honestly I'm just curious.

Oh, I'd forgotten all about Double Impact being hosted in Freedoom. You'll have to use the PWAD version linked, yes: running Freedoom as a substitute with a set that uses only vanilla resources would be accepted, but meddling with map order (as well as things and actions etc.) is definitely off the table.

Posted (edited)

Dead at E1M7. Got betrayed by autoaim really hard.

Edit: demo also doubles as FDA, so it's category 1 submission.

Edited by Beginner : because

Posted (edited)

Why do I get the feeling that this isn't the first time you've been sensational at Doom, Beginner? I bet your obituary history is hiding a few trends.

Nice UD styled levels, very faithful, but oh well this run was just pathetic. It'd be so much easier if the mouse would actually want to co-operate with me while recording demos, which, for some reason that I'm not aware of, just doesn't want to. Instead of fighting against the demons I'm fighting against the mouse -__- .

Dead on the freakin' second map lol. PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4, blind, as usual.

agent6demoround3.zip

doing my ironman soon......I hope that I can clear this...

fingers crossed

Well......I died (in E1M9) because I panicked and run into my death thanks to a shotgunner, camping like the motherfucker he is....

I discovered the secret level to find death. One thing.....never trust the teleporters kids....

Played in GLBoom+, completely blind, comp -3...here's the proof and the zip.

dbimpld85.zip

doom06.jpg.65316c3a7dd7295ce721be4cce4f1d1f.jpg

Posted (edited)

Welp, guess it's time for my not very spectacular submission.

[1] Judging by description, I met exact same fate as NaZa, drowned in swarm of pinkies during sewer section. Died during e1m3.

Also, after realising it was doom 1 map set, I was too careless to think that there is no way this wad could be really challenging without any revenants, chaingunners or arch-viles, you know, classic stuff. I couldn't be any more wrong.

And, as a sidenote, is it ok to change brightness for these runs? Because dark levels are absolute bane of existence for my garbage eyes.

Edited by BioRenegat

Woah, we suffered the same fate. Come to think of it, that trap is much more difficult than it seems. 

Another wad I've played before! And this one I have fond memories of, as I still rate it as one of the best Ultimate Doom wads I've played. The gameplay in this is definitely an unique experience, and it's not too easy either. Lots of fun carnage though.

I look forward to revisiting this one......right after dragonfly and an_mutt, as I go last this month in the Britbowl.

Will Rottking and/or Ralphis be up for an attempt?

Rottking and Ralphis should record a coop run.

And yet another idiot death happens when I stumble into e1m9 and was expecting the vanilla song that usually plays here.  Thinking I had somehow managed to go to e1m4 instead, I was a little on tilt and basically went to my death in the yk arena.  Possibly a fail to put into my "Reasons X would bitchslap me" folder methinks!

DWIronman_dbimpact_AnimaZero.zip

Posted (edited)

I like how there's an inescapable box in map04 that i got stuck in.

DNF E1M4

edit: category... 1? it's a blind playthrough but i saw an "Evo of the Wad" that played this.  All I remember is this one red keydoor where you guys were talking about a red door with skinny markers that was hard to find.  I found the door and was like, "oh... it's that door".  That is all I remember.  Oh and I remember E1M8 but i didn't get that far so doesn't count.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, BioRenegat said:

And, as a sidenote, is it ok to change brightness for these runs? Because dark levels are absolute bane of existence for my garbage eyes.

Changing brightness is okay I think, yes, though choosing what renderer to use could be a point of contention and I'd like to get some input from other members of the league, because while there's nothing in the rules that enforces one or the other there are plainly going to be times when darkness really plays into the difficulty of a set; and in Double Impact it's particularly harsh. Software render folk (like me!) are going to get shafted where GL will allow for cushy visibility.

For the time being, there are no restrictions on it but if you're the noble sort then you'll select a renderer that doesn't gimp the horror of the game in this context. I think adjusting brightness and contrast levels is fine, though (it totally smears the visuals and that's punishment enough :)).

50 minutes ago, NoisyVelvet said:

I like how there's an inescapable box in map04 that i got stuck in.

Oof, that's a bad one. Tough luck. I'm amazed that wasn't picked up during testing (by me. I was on the testing team... for shame!).

Edited by Alfonzo

6 hours ago, Memfis said:

Rottking and Ralphis should record a coop run.

Make it a coop zombies run for maximum quality

Died at E1M8 (+1 secret level) .

Category 2 because I played the two first levels a long time ago.

Seriously , Double impact is maybe the toughest Ultimate Doom mapset that I know. Monsters are numerous and well hidden and a lot of traps become very quickly overwhelming. Also add the obscure rooms , confusing layouts , mortal pits ... At the last level , I was so surprised by the Cybie and the SM that I jumped in the slime and died. :)

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/341887866705674241/441044277158608916/Roofi_IM_E1M8.lmp

9 minutes ago, Alfonzo said:

I'd like to get some input from other members of the league

Anything but software mode with default brightness/contrast/gamma settings is TAS imo.

;)

Posted (edited)

dbimpact_ironman_alfnz.zip

Immediately ripped to shreds in e1m8 by a stubborn spiderdemon who refused to teleport away. Disappointed that I didn't get to have a fair go at that map because it was the one I was looking forward to the most, but I was pretty hard done by the roll of the dice so I can't be too hard on myself. Although, the follow-up attempts for fun indicated I probably wouldn't have fared much better anyway (even managed to trigger the soft-lock—nice!).

Important: Rottking has patched the WAD to fix the major bugs outlined in the OP as well as a number of other inconveniences found later in the set. If you are yet to record your run, please use this version instead of the /idgames one. The links for both versions will remain in the OP, with older runs being asterisked. Apologies for the inconvenience (and especially to NoisyVelvet!)!

Edited by Alfonzo : WAD updated

E1M2, category 1. I had fuck all health all the way. I really don't understand this game any more, nothing I saw was anything beyond what Knee-Deep in the Dead throws at you but the hitscanners slowly but surely tore me to shreds and it was impossible to recover :(

Also I killed a zombie in a single pistol shot at 0:30, even the game is mocking me at this point. Fuck you too Doom!

Damn, I was looking forward to my first Alfonzo quip, but all I got is my own! I'll go back to looking forward to the Combat Shock 2 quip. :D

Posted (edited)

Sounds like fun, but the restrictions sort of kill it for me, so I won't be participating in any official capacity.

I will give this a whirl, however.

EDIT:

Instead of double-posting, I'll just post the link to my death screenshot here.

https://imgur.com/a/GYD8mY2

I'm so good that without the restrictions I can die before I get to the trap you guys were referring to.

In other words: here's how to not do it.

Edited by Aquila Chrysaetos