Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Best way to handle this puzzle element?

Question

Working on my first UDMF map in GZDoom Builder. The configuration is "GZDoom: Doom 2 (UMDF)." It's a Map 30 recreation whereby the wound is initially blocked by the "eye column," and after hitting the appropriate switch, it will disappear, allowing you to shoot the wound. I tried using a door trigger, but the bottom of the column is visible on the ceiling. I also tried rendering it as a 3D floor so that the column was shorter, which I think is aesthetically preferable, but I couldn't figure out how to make it rise up. I think what I ideally would like, is for a 3D floor of this column to completely disappear after hitting the switch. Is this possible?

IOS.png

10 answers to this question

Tag your 3D Floor control sector and Use Linedef type 96 "Floor and Ceiling Raise by Value" on one of your 3D Floor target sector linedefs to Raise the Floor and Ceiling of your 3D Floor control sector (you can set speed, height ... etc in that linedef properties), Make sure to check "Switch Height Check" on Linedef activation type for the target sector so players cannot activate it by shooting below or above the 3D Floor.

Do I need to use that switch height check option? The player is not going to shoot the column itself. They'll have to find the switch somewhere in the level, and it'll make the column disappear. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Oh, in that case you don't have to even set the linedef type on the target sector linedefs, and of course you won't need that switch height check, Just set it (Linedef type 96) wherever you want the switch to be.

Not sure, Usually I just Lower it or Raise it high enough to not be visible in the map with Movement speed of 800 to make it disappear as soon as the linedef is activated.

So I used the lower floor/ceiling action and made the ceiling the same texture as the ground level texture, and it works exactly as I wanted. Now I have a new problem, which is that the IOS is really hard to shoot at. Despite there now being a shootable hole (withe romero head right behind it), I was only able to destroy it once. It's plenty wide, but basically every rocket and plasma bolt hits the texture, which I don't get because it's a midtexture, and isn't set to be non-shootable. What's going on here?

Something Blocking your missiles perhaps? a solid Mid-texture or a linedef that has "Block Projectiles" flag? verify the linedefs surrounding Romero's head.

It's definitely not solid. I did manage to hit it and destroy it before. But almost every angle I aim at, it acts like it doesn't want to go inside.

Make sure the opening lines up with the height that player projectiles come from without mouselook.

Your missiles might be failing to fit the hole vertically. To be able to do it without mouselook, the hole's bottom should be 8-32 units (preferably 32) above the floor that the player stands on while firing the missile, assuming the hole is 32 units tall and knowing that a missile is 8 units tall and is fired from height 32 units above the player's feet. If you play with mouselook and crosshair, don't aim the crosshair at the vertical center of the hole, but aim it at the hole's bottom, because as with every thing in the Doom engine, the missile's origin point is at its bottom, with the whole hitbox above it. Also, although Romero head's sprite appears to be as tall as the player, the thing's hitbox is actually only 16 units tall, so keep that in mind if you want the missiles to physically hit it instead of hitting the wall behind it and damaging it via rocket explosion as in Doom 2 MAP30. If there is actually line of sight from the player to the Romero head thing, and seeing how close they are to each other, autoaim might be triggering and spoiling the vertical aim.

Edited by scifista42