Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

MAYhem 2018 - Purple Version!

Yeah I'm aware of that. It still occurs after I edit the map irrespective of if I have added things or other player starts. If I save the map I have to add a new player start for whatever reason.

Well, here I go. I decided to also add Haruko's map because there are some bugs that aren't easily fixable (sorry for that) but it's playable. Same for mine.

It has coop starts but no difficulty implemented and it was barely tested.

Info:

Map name: Perilous Cave

Music: Twilit Jungle by Jimmy (used in BTSX)

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gkoafep37tf1j8c/perilcave.zip?dl=1

*Rubs temples*

So yeah, I had a look at your map. It's very well detailed, I can give you that, but the map itself is for the most part the "rooms connected by corridors" archetype that you see in a lot of new mappers. Unfortunately it's not a kind archetype when it comes to gameplay as it can make the progression feel very formulaic and grindy, which is sadly the case here. Mix that with submitting after the deadline and, well... :/ I'm sorry dude, it looks like you put a buttload of time into this, but as it stands it just isn't all that engaging.

I also briefly checked Myst.Haruko's map, but it looks remarkably unfinished from what I've seen and I can't really justify including it in the state it's in. Sorry.

I'm going to be honest here, if my map will be rejected (since this map is quite a hit or miss in my opinion, especially the beginning of it), I will be absolutely ok with it, since when I was creating it I learned so much stuff, I can say for certain it was quite valuable experience in overall. Well, and also couple people played it, so l'm kinda happy with it.

Edited by BioRenegat

3 hours ago, Obsidian said:

*Rubs temples*

So yeah, I had a look at your map. It's very well detailed, I can give you that, but the map itself is for the most part the "rooms connected by corridors" archetype that you see in a lot of new mappers. Unfortunately it's not a kind archetype when it comes to gameplay as it can make the progression feel very formulaic and grindy, which is sadly the case here. Mix that with submitting after the deadline and, well... :/ I'm sorry dude, it looks like you put a buttload of time into this, but as it stands it just isn't all that engaging.

I also briefly checked Myst.Haruko's map, but it looks remarkably unfinished from what I've seen and I can't really justify including it in the state it's in. Sorry.

Leave Leo map in this compilation since it has all things to considered finished and I'll release my map stand alone. It's my fault at time management. Yeah, I know that you gave me time to finish this mess, but I wasted it due staying 2 days without proper sleep trying to finish map fast as I can and when deadline hit me and I didn't have strength anymore for last 6 hours to bring my side atleast playable. I poorly underestimated time(including irl stuff), dragged innocent person in this thing and now we both are rejected. I did more mistakes in this map, like making it way too big, instead of staying on original shape/idea or making something on 3072x3072 to nicely finish this collab. Well, whinning or cries won't help, so I'm taking all responsibility on this failed experiment and apologies for all troubles. 

11 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Fixed. Not sure why this happens every time I save the map tbh. Very annoying.

Ey thanks mon!

Here are my thoughts, no FDA as I died in the big cavern fight with the rapid RL to a cyber rocket after killing the vast majority of the horde, go figure :D

I like the opening, it's chaotic and dangerous, you need to quickly move and formulate a strategy, take out the PE and be wary of the distant chaingunners and don't wake up the AV in the side cave early. YK fight was a nice, tense opener for the harder slaughter fights to come, focus on killing the Revenants as a top priority because they are the fastest moving opposition which can easily trap you and their rockets are dangerous in cramped surroundings, then stick to the sides and circle the rest when numbers begin to fall.

The interior corridors beyond the yellow key door were manageable without being grueling, the plasma fight is fair as you just dive back to the prior room and pummel the Imps and Bombers while circle strafing. The most trickiest fight was the Cyber and four Archviles which are revealed after the second switch in the adjacent room, you can try and hope the Cyb will fire early aggroing all the viles, but if this doesn't happen you'll need to rapid fire the ones closest to your current position quickly and hug the corners of the rooms if they set you alight before they die.

I liked the yellow key onslaught with plasma zombies, as you can't rely on simple circlestrafing due to the square layout and the inclusion of pinkies makes it difficult to rely soley on rockets, so it made this encounter more tense and interesting as a result.

The aforementioned big cavern with the rapid RL is likely the toughest section of the map, initially you need to time your movement to steer the cluster of Revenant rockets into opposing hellspawn and avoid getting trapped, then I stick to the sides of the room and move quickly so as not to get trapped by pinkies or Hellknights spawning in by the back of the room, keeping a close eye on Cyber movements so as not to get caught by one while strafing around the room. I liked the inclusion of two more Cybers spawning by the back of the room in the middle of the encounter after most of the initial swarm is dead, as it suddenly adds a great deal of danger if the two at the front are still alive, this prevents one from relaxing till the very end.

Last fight was a cool tactical shake up, need to focus your rocket fire across the room equally so your current position isn't swarmed and you don't end up with Grells in your face, eventually you'll need to swap to the Plasma as the crowd begins to thicken and be careful to avoid the incremental influx of Immolators.

A solid map overall which provides a sufficient challenge and doesn't suffer from dickish design, which can be caused by cheap enemy placements or a lack of resources.

I reached the end of the map with several monsters remaining after the 2 secrets, so I took a look around in noclip and found some monster closets with stuck monsters:

1) Hellknights in sector 708 are stuck because of W1 teleport lines, which should be WR instead.

2) Archvile in sector 1266 was deaf throughout the whole map.

3) Bombers in sectors 1207-1210 are stuck on one another.

4) Stacked Pinkies in sectors 1242-1244 which are also trapping three Immolators.

Their was also a missing texture after sector 805 lowers and you drop down into the final cavern, turn around after falling down and you'll see it.

On 5/31/2018 at 3:25 AM, Scotty said:

Murasaki

by rdwpa and myself

Great map guys! <3 This was a real pleasure to play from beginning to end, intense and visceral combat with great non-linear design, letting the player choose which areas to tackle first, with a variety of diverse encounters from small and tricky to large and intimidating.

Here's an FDA with a stupid death just before the exit.

m18_BlooditeKrypto.zip

It's difficult to pick out my favourite fights as I pretty much loved all of it, I can highlight a few which made me nervous though.

- The in your face Immolater duel
- The purple key cavern claustrophobia
- The clusterfuck fight right at the start if you jump down towards the right (it's funny you can go here from the beginning making it harder :o)

No issues with resources, it's finely tuned, the right distribution of health to patch you up in the evident of severe injuries, powerups to replenish you before a big skirmish which is great if your in desperate need, good play is rewarded with the benefit of being able to return to a previously conquered area to pick up any spare powerups if required.

Enemy placement was clever and devious, I was kept on the edge all the time because each encounter is not consistent in it's unfoldment but is unique, you can have a teleporter ambush or a wall suddenly lower in your face, I kept checking my back thinking something might teleport in from behind to blindside me, that's a mark of great gameplay design, not making it obvious what will happen when you enter a room, fuelling suspense and tension which keeps you alert at all times and never bored.

I love this gameplay design which tests your playing ability in multiple areas, movement, reflexes and the need to strategize immediately when a trap is sprung or you risk being overwhelemed. The difficulty scale felt perfect, a challenging map which is entirely do-able on a blind playthrough without foreknowledge of key fights, as can often be the downfall of levels in this category, but this manages to not be an aggravating shitkicker or a calm stroll with something more to be desired.

A great map which nails both aesthetics and gameplay, sure to be the cream of the crop in this compilation.

9 hours ago, Bloodite Krypto said:

Ey thanks mon!

Thanks for the feedback Krypto. Map has been updated with the issues you mentioned in mind, also added a little secret near the beginning of the map.

Alright, time for a little announcement.

I've noticed that quite a few maps (and fairly good ones too) have been submitted past the deadline, and after having a talk with Marcaek he reckons that enforcing the deadline with no compromises does more ill than good. Therefore: all submissions past this point will be ignored. I'll be looking over all the submissions I've received thus far and judging them as next week unfolds, but hopefully this takes some weight off the people who were constrained by outside circumstances and couldn't submit on time.

4 hours ago, Obsidian said:

all submissions past this point will be ignored.

For creators who submitted a map, is it still okay to fix bugs and realign textures? I ask because in my map,  I left one enemy inactive on hard difficulty and realigned a couple textures. Gameplay hasn't changed at all. I'm going to post a link just in case, but I'll take it down if it's not approved.

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2geqreqthuc33j1/MH18P_Nailbiter_Swalzi_v3.1.wad?dl=1

-----

v3.1 notes:

Spoiler

♦ Details:
  • Realigned pipe textures near player start.

• aligned ceiling wall lights on west side of exit hallway.

♦ UV difficulty:

• Fixed shotgunner near red door not appearing on hard mode.

Updated my map. Improved the balance and made a couple parts feel less empty.

Edited by AD_79

Hey @rdwpa or @Scotty, could you supply the sky you guys used in your map? It doesn't seem to have been included with your wad or the resources, unless something went screwy on my end.

Updated "permanganic shores" with couple serious edits. I think it need more testing though, since it has tons of complicated encounters (and I'm fairly certain some encounters could use some more work on them anyway). Also, I must mention that this map lasts on average for ~40-45 minutes (thanks to people who tested old builds), so if you are actually going to test it fully (which I really would appreciate), you better have plenty free time.

Edited by BioRenegat

Since it seems like compiling is already in the process, it is still ok to update wads? Because I would like to adjust easier difficulties for it. 

On 6/3/2018 at 9:56 PM, Obsidian said:

Alright, I'm almost done with the first compilation. @Aquila Chrysaetos and @PepsiBepsi, I need music for your submissions: do you have any particular tracks you'd like or shall I pick them?

You can go ahead and pick. I was gonna make one, but I ended up having a busier month than expected lol.

And with that, we are done! This is the initial testing beta of MAYhem Purple.

• Not all of the graphics and music are implemented yet: that'll change, I can assure you
  • The maps aren't in any particular order: order will be decided by overall difficulty
  • The map names have been changed in DeHackEd to the names of each mapper to make it easier to leave feedback
  • The maps in slots 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 14 do not have difficulty settings implemented yet

And I think that covers it! Feel free to leave feedback on the maps and with any luck we can act accordingly and polish this to the best of our ability. Also feel free to ping me if you have feedback on the compilation itself: whether that be suggestions for graphics and music or spotting bugs, all input is appreciated.

Viva la Grape Bubblegum!

Excellent timing! Some of the maps have tracks added by me in lieu of inclusion by their mappers and there's still also need for a D_DM2INT and D_READ_M. Cheers Jimmy. :)