Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

MAYhem 2018 - Purple Version!

Thanks rd, I kinda agree that the yellow key feels a little superfluous, but at the same time I want to leave it and make the final warp-in fight more interesting to compensate. If that doesn't work, if the map really doesn't need it in the main progression, then I can cut it off at the purple key and perhaps turn the YK section into some sort of optional thing (accessed with the red key maybe?). I had the same thoughts regarding those pillars as well, though I don't want the fight just being a big flat room. I may still leave the center one up initially and have the two on the sides raise up via the switch. As for secrets... if I can find a good place for them, I'll add them. It was definitely an afterthought considering the overbearing time limit I ended up with to build the map.

Edited by AD_79

@AD_79, I played through your map and want to apologise for not giving detailed feedback. The map looks really nice and I found it generally pretty clear how and where to progress. Parts of it were fun, but overall that kind of intense and sustained combat is just not my cup of tea. Seeing that the parts I enjoyed the least are the exact moments others point out as the highlights of the map, I'm obviously not the map's target audience, so it wouldn't make sense for me to say anything more about it.

I noticed some sort of visual glitch, though: there's a white seam that appears in the sky near the exit. It sort of flashes in and out of existence as you move past that part of the map. It's not particularly noticeable or distracting, but I thought you might want to know in case it is something that slipped past you and that's trivial to fix:

Spoiler

doom03.png.db9cb5ae0552e18d90fbecec40913198.png

Bah, I could have sworn I took care of all the slime trails in that area. At least, I dealt with the ones I noticed, haha. Thanks for pointing that one out!

EDIT: Hopefully when I add in difficulty settings, you'll be able to enjoy the map more that way!

Edited by AD_79

Oh, well, here we go. After taking 2 weeks of rest I returned back to my map, only to realise it needs some serious cleaning/fixes/changes. This update includes:

Spoiler

-fully implemented hmp and hntr 

-new visual changes 

-bunch of texture fixes 

-purification from homs and slime trails 

-additional small encounters, since some areas felt a little bit empty, also fixed couple old ones, since they didn't fully behave as intended.

-bunch of serious mechanical changes. Also, since a lot of encounters rely on somewhat complicated physics, I had to assure that they work 100% of the time, however as a precaution I made alternative ways to progress game, in case mechanism somehow bugs out, to prevent from soft locking/not working properly. Though I must admit, I tested this map in gzdoom in prboom+ like 50 times and this never happened.

Welp, at this point I can't do really much more with it, other than adding more visuals. It definitely needs some more testing, since I find this map not being exactly perfect.  Regardless, if somebody actually wants to test it out, I advise for you to use saves, especially on UV difficulty for the sake of your sanity, since not only this map is quite challenging, but it also lasts on average for ~45 minutes. Now, about difficulties, I honestly can't tell if HMP was done well or not, because I personally always play wads on UV, so I had to kinda "presume" as what to make more easier, without stripping away "fun", and actually not making this map boring. So it would be really great if somebody played it on hmp, that would be really helpful.

P.S. Since now I have some free time, I will be giving feedback to other maps as well, I was really busy this week, so unfortunately I couldn't really do that, sorry everybody for that, especially those who personally asked me to do so.

Edited by BioRenegat

@Swalzi Checked out Nailbiter a bit on UV pistol start, details:

Spoiler

QXWC0RQ.png

This opening is needlessly grindy. Its not really satisfying to just use a shotgun and taking forever to shoot down an imp/rev horde. I think toning down the monster density helps.

YnNoNO7.png

Texture alignment?

Tbh, i find the battles before the Rapid-fire rocket launcher pointless and ...boring. Its not really fun or challenging, feels like a chore to shoot through hordes in what is basically one straight path. The slaughter-lite encounters (from the Rapid-fire rocket launcher area onward) is some fun stuff tho, truly lives up to its name in some parts, but ultimately the strategy for me is to camp in the red key switch area, occasionally running out for some supplies was a hair-raiser though. Not sure how fun attempting to kill everything will be, as i got enough ammo to blast comfortably to the exit with some monsters left alive . The slaughter part is the only part in the map i feel there's potential for fun stuff :P

AskREP3.png
rqpPRHy.png

Visually decent, metal area looks functional. Outside (pictured above) could be spruced up a bit imo.

This map just doesn't feel quite there for me. The positives are in the slaughter area, but then that's it, as the boring no rapid-fire rocket launcher part ruined the experience a bit. Should have been focused on slaughter? Hope this review helps!

@PepsiBepsi Haven't checked out v2 too much for so long sorry :P Liked the new final fight tho! 

@Worm318 Checked your map on UV pistol start. This post will be edited later (Check a few hours later) with a more detailed review, but for now some bug reports (when this gets edited this line will be strikedthrough)  Here it is!

Spoiler

xZPrhrT.png

Different texture?

RaG7OoD.png
SXkQOiW.png

Switch misaligned

This map feels like its straight out of a 2000s community project. Not a bad thing, mind you. Good visuals all around, though this map didn't messed around with the new resources too much, and it would probably have felt like the same thing with stock stuff. Layout was well done too. Gameplay was a bit too... easy perhaps? I'm not against having relaxing maps, but with the relatively long length of this map, it might get a little boring after a while on UV (there were plenty of deadly traps that i would like to see a bit more frequently, but really its up to you, i won't be bugged much if you still keep most of the map's gameplay this way in its final form). Probably the only place i would actually ask you to reconsider is the exit fight, because its way too skippable, wouldn't made a darn difference if the exit area didn't have monsters.

Overall solid work though!

Edited by Catpho : Review

My turn to post updated maps.

Ultraviolet.

Never heard on this except from Scotty, so I repaired some of the issues he found, though it is still extremely linear like before. I've added some fights for the backtracking and reduced the difficulty at the yellow skull fight, though the door camping ultimately remains for the other areas.

I also fixed the texture misalignments in the marble temple that kept irritating me.

Still a weak one, but a little bit better than before.

Vasiliki Thalassa.

I added some small encounters to the little "hub" rooms and brightened the map up to 128. A few areas are still at 96, but it should be much easier to see now (this also applies to Ultraviolet). I also made the doors open in pairs if they led to the same room, and they all open much faster now (save the purple skull doors) and stay open. I also added some detail to make it look a little better, and placed some lifts in that large room where Bio noted he got stuck. I also made the platforming much easier this time, which makes me feel a bit like a condescending asshole, but whatever.

Maybe it's not terrible now.

@Catpho Thanks for giving a run through and reviewing my map! I made a saveless UV-max demo to see what it's like to kill all monsters ;). It's only compatible with the RC1 beta. I hope it's fun to watch, I got a bit nervous at times! It's the first time I did a saveless run since adding more enemies behind the exit shutter in v3. Includes a couple deaths at the beginning. Demo Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k7ceep55u82knx9/map17RC1-win.rar?dl=1

Answering thoughts / questions:

Spoiler

This opening is needlessly grindy. Its not really satisfying to just use a shotgun and taking forever to shoot down an imp/rev horde. I think toning down the monster density helps.

I designed it that way. It rewards the patient with safe passage but a huge ammo sink. The impatient is rewarded a bit more with decent map progress and saved ammo but death is rather likely. The player doesn't lose much progress if they die here. I think replacing the box of shells with 4 shotgun shells conveys the idea to be aggressive but I want to give the player the choice.

Texture alignment?

I don't see any texture alignment issues here. If you're pointing at the bright purple texture between the beams, that is another sign of a multiplayer teleporter. I guess that texture really isn't needed, but I plan on keeping it there.

Map flow

Yeah, I can somewhat agree with the first half of the map being boring. I guess it can also be "door campy," opening, closing, hiding near doorways then plink at them. I find that boring but the player's choice is theirs. In the demo I posted, I am mostly fighting out in the open in the major encounters. The part where the player gets the rapid-launcher and the encounters that follow are my favorite parts of the map too. The final fight is bull crap though but I find it fun, haha.

Outside (pictured above) could be spruced up a bit imo.

I remember spending a lot of time on the unplayable area and just being unsatisfied with all of them. I have a version of the map where huge, crumbling purple stone pillars were protruding from the lemonade water, and I hated it. I don't plan on adding any new architectural designs or even trees. I basically stuck with the one design I liked the most.

Thank you! Your review is helpful!

I'll be uploading an update to my map soon as I noticed a couple of bugs that need to be fixed.

Edited by Swalzi : Fixed link again and replaced it with a RAR archive. LMP files don't seem to work properly in Dropbox?

Alright, time to give some more feedback to maps, this time it's 4 maps, oh boy, here we go:

map "Thunderstorm" by @Forli

I will be brief with this one, because it's in overall quite solid map. I immensely enjoyed gameplay, especially this last encounter with some multitasking. Visually it's also pleasing, didn't find any misalignments, or homs, well, except this one, but you can't even really notice it without hom detection, so maybe it's not that much big of a deal:

Spoiler

hom1.png.e6738be1a148518d72c7d97abf1335f2.png

The only problem I have with it is suicide bomber encounter, this is something what author should clarify, but I feel like it was created before AI fix, because I honetsly couldn't clear it without using plasma rifle (and since there are bunch of ammo boxes, I presume the intended way to beat it is by using chaingun) but maybe I just wasn't using right strategy or something.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20180618_133056.png.db4272d9ee5d3d7d83b767ea3e072c99.png

In overall, really great and fun map

Next map: "Pluto: by @AD_79

What can I say, you delivered quite well with that one, it was quite a treat for sure. Especially this music, it was healing for my ears. Now, I didn't find any misalignments, but I must say I found bunch of really small homs (and one big one, but, hedgehog already mentioned it). This kind of homs is the worst, since you can only see them under certain position:

Spoiler

hom4.png.7cb3f4df422426e909a69349bad2e95f.pnghom5.png.5e8907eb342ef3d61968ae052898ad2f.pnghom6.png.f76a558522feb592ed98fd0279f45310.pnghom7.png.04b52b25f7d1e90beac12f77d53a09a7.png

Gameplay wise I don't have any problems with it, but I must say encounter after cyberdemon was kinda strange (anticlimatic I think would be better word for this?), not only it was extremely easy (I cleared it with only 9 hp), but also you can just snipe everybody with RL, since walls are not closing, allowing you to retreat to cyberdemon area. I feel like something must be changed with it, like I said, maybe close off previous area, while adding some medikits to recover from previous fight? Other than that everything else was quite great.

Here is recording of my first attempt (FDA), it was done 3 days ago. One thing to clarify, the reason I had so much trouble with navigation was because I didn't have any sleep for 2 days, so I was kinda on auto-pilot during this whole time, it has nothing to do with design or anything of that sort. I guess you can analyse this footage, I hope that helps.

Edit: by watching this video I remembered, that I had huge problem realising, that red floors are actually damaging you. They kinda blend in the environment too well, maybe that's because I'm just too dense, but I feel like there should be much clearer indication of that, perhaps floors should be glowing or something? But it's not that much of a deal, it's just me nitpicking small details.

3rd map: updated "Vasiliki Thalassa" by @Aquila Chrysaetos

Wow, what an improvement, the difference is night and day (literally, since now you can actually see stuff, since it isn't dark anymore), all additional encounters are definitely making areas feel less empty, and new visuals are huge big fat plus in overall. Didn't find any homs or misalignments, but I think you should change brightness of these doors, they look kinda strange honestly

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20180618_134257.png.d43ebc3c04525987e6519169d5352ee9.png

So, yeah, good job on that.

4th map: updated "Ultraviolet" by @Aquila Chrysaetos (again, huh)

I actually played original one, and once again ligthtning change was quite a great improvement. I will say, I really like this "abstract" theme of this map, I'm quite a huge sucker for this kind of stuff. But holy smokes, these homs though:

Spoiler

hom2.png.601d26205ec0e62acfc855daa34abd4a.pnghom3.png.54491ae039b55b2989cd86f6f46d4b0e.png

Something definitely must be done about that. Also, I think that floors should damage you, because without it you can absolutely cheese majority of these encounters. I can't say much more about this map honestly, it's quite alright in my opinion. Here is vid of me playing this updated one for the first time.

Alright, I'm done for today. I actually severely burned my hand in boiling oil yesterday, while I was frying cheese (the cheese was god like, so I guess it was worth it in the end though), so it's kinda difficult for me to record videos and play maps, so I will probably tone down my feedback frequency, I hope you understand folks.

Edited by BioRenegat

Posting reviews, now.

MAP01, @Pinchy

Solid map. Played pistol start on UV and the beginning fight with the zombiemen and chaingunners was remarkably fun. The grells gave me a little trouble just before the red card, but overall, I didn't stumble too much to difficulty. The ending fights were really good, liked them.

Spoiler

Only thing I noticed that didn't seem quite right was the switch to lower the secret berserk was just accessible from the rock platform, which made it really easy to get.

It's not much of a proper review, but I look more for bugs and problems than anything else. It was a good run, though, and I think this would work really well as an opener.

MAP02 @valkiriforce

Pistol start, UV

First thing I noticed, great opener. I liked being able to move about the beginning area, especially when the grells started showing up.

The purple skull room, though, wasn't quite as strong. Revealing the monsters would've been more interesting, I think, if the panels on your side lowered, so the monsters surprised the player coming down the stairs. Also, the plasma zombies after picking up the purple skull forced me into one of those alcoves and I camped there with the single shotgun.

The yellow skull was a good trap, but I was mildly disappointed by the immolators, though that's probably because they look stronger than they actually are.

I liked the use of the plasma zombies a little better at the red skull area, I think because there were fewer there.

Overall, a good map, just the purple skull seemed a bit like a hiccup.

MAP03 @MegaBlast and @Killer5

Pistol start, UV

I found myself dying a lot, so I knew I was in for something I had no real chance of beating, but I decided to press on, then I got confused at the yellow card area, not knowing how to get up to it. I looked around for a switch or something I missed, but I didn't find anything, so I saved there and moved on.

MAP04 @Forli

Pistol start, UV

I saw the monster count and immediately dreaded what was to come, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that the bulk of the monsters are in several traps scattered about the map.

The purple card trap was well executed, enough to put on the pressure, but not overly difficult, though the available cells did hint at a coming trap.

Yellow card: good trap, too many plasma zombies for me, though. That's probably because there's almost no delay between pointing the weapon at you and firing, though.

About that suicider encounter: I managed to squeeze through using the plasma rifle, but I think there might be a few too many there.

I liked the backpack trap. I had the allmap, so I knew it was there, but I'm pretty sure I got to watch two plasma gunners infight and that was cool.

The end was good, not exactly my thing, but it was cool.

About Ultraviolet, I'm not sure what's causing those HOM's, but I think I might have an idea. There's a sky transfer box outside the map (same in Vasiliki Thalassa) transferring my sky to the sky sectors, and PRBoom might be applying the "default" sky when you fall below that level, not sure. Need a Boom guru (so, not me) to figure that one out.

Also, minor tweaks to Ultraviolet and Vasiliki Thalassa. In Ultraviolet, the sky now does 10 health damage (considered 5, but I thought that wouldn't be punishing enough, considered 20, but thought that would be too harsh) if you fall in it. In Vasiliki Thalassa, the locked doors and a couple other areas that I missed are brightened up a little.

As always, let me know if the link's wrong or the file's the same as before or whatever.

On 6/17/2018 at 4:14 PM, Catpho said:

This map feels like its straight out of a 2000s community project. Not a bad thing, mind you. Good visuals all around, though this map didn't messed around with the new resources too much, and it would probably have felt like the same thing with stock stuff. Layout was well done too. Gameplay was a bit too... easy perhaps? I'm not against having relaxing maps, but with the relatively long length of this map, it might get a little boring after a while on UV (there were plenty of deadly traps that i would like to see a bit more frequently, but really its up to you, i won't be bugged much if you still keep most of the map's gameplay this way in its final form). Probably the only place i would actually ask you to reconsider is the exit fight, because its way too skippable, wouldn't made a darn difference if the exit area didn't have monsters.

Overall solid work though!

Thanks for the review @Catpho. Glad that you liked it. I had the feeling that the map was too easy, had trouble balancing the non-linear/two-pathways layout as I didn't want it to feel too grindy if the player reached certain areas with SG and CG only. I think I will buff UV difficulty in areas that I'm dissatisfied with. I have an idea to avoid (or at least mitigate) the last fight skip, but I was waiting for some feedback just to be sure it was a major flaw.

About bug reports:

Spoiler

xZPrhrT.png

Different texture?

Yes, it's a secret... should I use another mark?

RaG7OoD.png
SXkQOiW.png

Switch misaligned

Ah, forgot about that. I think it's a prboom+ problem with the 24x24 textures as it doesn't happens in GZDoom nor GZDB 3D Mode. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but I will avoid those textures as there are similar ones that work just fine

The post above reminded me, actually, that for some reason some textures are not properly animated in prboom+ (they are still textures, instead of being animated), but they do work in gzdoom. This includes:

-Blood1 (bright one)

-SLSW switches

-ZFGROK

Not sure if it does happen with other textures, and not exactly sure as why is this exactly happening. But I figured I should at least  share this, since I was wondering it it only happens to me or not.

Welp, that got resolved, thanks to AD_79.

Edited by BioRenegat

That's weird, as those animate fine for me in PR+. What version are you using, if that matters at all?

Also this reminds me, the SLSW switches don't have dimensions of a power of two, and as a result don't tile properly in PR+ (and presumably similar ports as well). I'm entirely to blame; I knew about this but forgot to fix them before.

Edited by AD_79

On 6/17/2018 at 12:12 AM, AD_79 said:

Hopefully when I add in difficulty settings, you'll be able to enjoy the map more that way!

I'd love to try it again once you've implemented skill settings.

(I actually started writing that in my initial comment, but then took it out, as I understand that you're focussing on other things first and didn't want to sound like I'm badgering you to accommodate players like me.)

On 6/17/2018 at 12:12 AM, AD_79 said:

Thanks for pointing that one out!

Glad that was helpful. :)

MAP07 @AD_79

Pistol start, UV

I don't have too much more to say about it than HAK3180 did when he reviewed it, so I'll run over a couple of the traps real quick.

I found the red card battle to be the most difficult, but that's mostly because half the attempts ended in me killing myself with my rocket launcher, and the other half were chaingunners or revenants getting me, but it was still a good fight and I didn't mind doing it repeatedly.

The red door took me by complete surprise (I didn't finish watching HAK's video), so I think that hindsight played too large a factor in surviving this one.

The yellow card and exit were surprisingly easy for me, but they were fun, nonetheless.

I liked your use of plasma zombies, it seemed to work with my own absolute hatred for them, because there was always distance between you and them, so I thought that was good.

I was flush with ammo at the end, and I managed a UV-max. At the exit, I had 4 rockets (I used my launcher liberally), 400 bullets, 94 shells, and 252 cells (I barely used my plasma). I'm not sure if you want to reduce that, it's not a problem to me, it seemed to cater to my own playstyle of fighting at range, which I liked.

A couple screenshots now of things I noticed:

08n4OLh.png

I'm pretty sure that texture scrolled when that floor rose after I hit the switch. I'm not certain, because I caught it while looking away, but that's what it looked like.

EZpBh8h.png

I think this would be a nice area for another secret, rewarding those who like to explore.

I'll post a couple more tomorrow, I just wanted to review your map for you.

Edited by Aquila Chrysaetos

MAP08 @Breezeep

I wasn't able to actually complete your map because my old laptop decided "Alright, you've done enough," and died, but I'm pretty sure I was right near the end, because this happened at the red switch after I had the red card.

It was rather easy, and I wound up being flush with rockets, which I liked.

I really liked the suicide bombers, because then I got to watch monsters of the same type fight.

The open-ended nature of the map (especially early on) was really cool and fun to explore, though I think I might've triggered a few fights a little earlier than I should've (fighting a vile with a chaingun and shotgun wasn't what I expected to do).

The red card area took a couple of attempts to get through, but I didn't have too much difficulty with it in the long run.

Still hate the plasma marines. I think they need a little more telegraphing to their attack, because they killed me more than anything else.

I was able to cherry tap the immolator with the chaingun before finishing it with the SSG, which was mildly disappointing. The other monsters that came with it constituted a larger threat.

The viles that came out after returning to the starting area surprised me, but I had rockets, so they were easily dealt with.

Overall, good map. It just suffers from those damn plasma zombies, and that's not your fault.

Skipped MAP09. Strain on my computer was too much.

MAP10 @Obsidian

Pistol start, UV

Damn good map. Solid premise. I liked the use of the rocket launcher (and later the rapid launcher) for the near entirety of the map.

Void-type map, so that's cool, and I liked that the progression was marked by little candles signalling where to go.

Chasing the red key and fighting revs with rockets and the berserk was a lot of fun.

The only part that really gave me difficulty was the end, the plasma zombie/vile fight, partly because I didn't realize about half the time that I'd picked up the rapid launcher and so was using the base launcher, and partly because the viles would launch me into the void, so I'd have to reload my save.

Still hate the plasma zombies, which are used here prolifically. Asshole. Interesting choice.

Probably the best use of the immolator, but still had little problem with him. Fighting him was actually a breather after the hell I had just gone through.

Ambivalent toward the vile jump required to exit. I almost killed the vile and, thus, screwed up, but I realized in time what was supposed to happen.

Still UV-max.

Probably my favorite part was the first metal building, where you face the imps and the fatso, because that fight inside was pretty cool.

I will start my feedbacks tomorrow. :)

MAP11 @an_mutt

Pistol start, UV

This was a strange one. I don't know why, but I had the feeling I was going to get thrashed when I attacked this one, but I didn't have very much difficulty with it.

For the first half, thereabouts, I found myself relying on my berserk fist over my launcher, which I mainly used for long range or softening up an enemy.

Only a couple places required more than a few restarts and they usually had viles that I accidentally aggro'd to me at the wrong moment.

I felt that the map arguably got easier after getting the SSG, despite I already had the launcher, single shotgun, and plasma at that point, but it was still fun. The blood pit near the end was a cool fight (I dropped in it twice, once before I was supposed to), though there is a spot where it's rather easy to shoot the cyber where he can't get any closer to you.

Solid map that seems to focus on berserk use for the first half, then utilizing your built-up arsenal in the second half. Well done.

MAP12 @Dragonfly and @jmickle66666666

Pistol start, UV

First, I must note that the visuals here are on point, and I'd expect no less from a map Dragonfly worked on.

I also liked the little teleport pads with your avatars on them. I thought they were cute.

Unfortunately, I must also note that I was expecting much greater difficulty than I received, and I'm not completely sure why.

Also, there's a minor misalignment in the startan behind the door at the bottom of the steps left of the start.

The canyon also needs looking at. Those rock textures were misaligned often, to my dismay. How dare you make perfectly human mistakes.

I loved the supply rooms. I felt they were a tad redundant, but they also gave the map a unique personality, so that's good.

I was able to snipe out many enemies with my freelook and pistol/chaingun because I'm evil.

I was excited at the red card (the first one I got) because finally I was expected to face a crowd, and it was a fun fight, but I didn't have much difficulty because I was able to run into the little purple water cave and pick off revs with my SSG as they came to say hello.

I got the yellow card next and stumbled across the plasma somehow, which became very useful when it came time to actually get the card.

The purple card came last despite its solution staring me in the face.

The last fight didn't give me that much trouble, despite the crowd of monsters streaming in. I think I was expected to use the immolators to kill everything, then kill them off at the end, which is exactly what I did.

I felt the rapid launcher at the end was somewhat redundant, since I had the power to kill the two immolators with the SSG and chaingun, and there was ample room to dodge and cover to hide behind, so I feel that room's challenge could be greatly improved by removing it or replacing it with the base launcher.

Overall, really good map, but easier than I expected it to be.

I'll post more tomorrow.

@Pinchy

Finished your map on UV without max , I accidentally exited the level while thinking I  had to survive in a final fight because some monsters were still alive. I didn't find the RL's secret , I took a quick look on Doombuilder and it seems to be timed. Your purple map highly constrasts with the orange one , especially due to its utterly cavernous aspect. I prefered your orange map because it had a more complex level design and more detailed architecture. The purple version seems to be rather a speedmap because the progression was more linear and the aesthetics were more simplistic. Regardless of my remarks , I had fun finishing your map , it didn't lack of exploration and the gameplay was solid. The overall tends to be quite easy  , even if some tough traps keep you on suspense all along the level.

DEMO

I died once because I didn't find the SSG before triggering some traps. It was pretty well hidden for a such important weapon , even if you will be teleported on it later in the level. I tried to kill the HK and the grell with my poor shotgun in my first attempt but they were too resistant and ammo tends to be rare. I liked how brutal the beginning was but also how you can find strategies in order to wake the zombies without losing too much health. Your map has some brutal traps involving hitscanners. The fake exit's trap was dangerous but killing armies of zombiemen with a RL is always fun under any circumstances.

Your map was simplier and shorter than the other but I found again some nice scenarios using boom tricks . I enjoyed seeing the bridge coming out from the water after you pressed the red key's switch and also the innumerable circular platforms raising after the first fight. The progression was interesting with a lot of interconnections. Platforming is not my thing when it becomes too unfair but it may also adds some variety when it's reasonable. I had some fun jumping on those platforms because the liquid was fortunately even not damaging and you put many fast lifts.

The detailling and the architecture were less impressive than in your orange map but it was still good to see. I've nothing to complain about it.

Conclusion : A cool cavernous map with a very moderate difficulty and some exploration.

@valkiriforce

I completed your purple map on UV-max on my second attempt. I was a bit long to find the second secret but I had a lot less trouble with the traps than in your orange map. As a matter of fact , I prefered this map than the other because the gameplay was more dynamic with a better interconnected layout and more diversified and fair traps involving custom monsters. However , I found your orange map had a better use of textures. I didn't really like the textures choices despite the architecture was more interesting. I recorded a demo on the RC1 but I don't think it was the last version. In any case , Biorenegat already reported the bugs I noticed.

DEMO

I found the texture usage very bland in your map because  I'm not a fan of the mixture between purple and grey textures. Using grey textures was not the problem itself but they were too massively used imo. Despite that , the architecture was more pleasing to see and you built various places so that your level didn't lack of exploration. My favourite part is the outdoors section where you take the teleporter to go to the soulsphere's secret. As said before , one of the strong points is the rather open progression which allows the player to explore the base as he wishes. The red key's room stangely had a different but better texture usage.

I found some similarities with your orange map concerning the gameplay. The hard traps mainly focus on custom monsters. However , the encounters were more diversified because you don't fight the same  ennemies as in the orange map where you constantly used the cybruiser. Also , they were less punitive despite their dangerousness. I liked killing the possessed marines because you had to react very quickly even if  they can't one-shot you as the cybruiser if you have a lot of health points. The fight with the twice immolator was cool and quite unexpected , they do the same attack as the Afrits from Scythe 2.  I enjoyed the fast-paced gameplay due to less limited ammo/health and better interconnections. The secrets were not mandatory or really useful contrary to your orange map , that's a good thing.

Conclusion : Less interesting aesthetics but better gameplay.

@Roofi Welcome aboard, thanks for starting giving feedback to maps, it's highly appreciated, but I noticed from your demo that you play original "beta" compilation. Since it was created almost 3 weeks ago, tons of maps received couple of fixes/general polish, quite franky some of the problems you mention (like for example easily missable ssg from pinchy's map, at least I think so?) don't even exist anymore, or some certain encounters were changed. I would recommend checking this thread for some updates previous maps revieved, just a little bit tad of advice. 

1 hour ago, BioRenegat said:

@Roofi Welcome aboard, thanks for starting giving feedback to maps, it's highly appreciated, but I noticed from your demo that you play original "beta" compilation. Since it was created almost 3 weeks ago, tons of maps received couple of fixes/general polish, quite franky some of the problems you mention (like for example easily missable ssg from pinchy's map, at least I think so?) don't even exist anymore, or some certain encounters were changed. I would recommend checking this thread for some updates previous maps revieved, just a little bit tad of advice. 

Thank you. :)

You're right , I will pay more attention. I sometimes think about it and sometimes not...

@Killer5

I want to complete your map in order to review it but what am I supposed to do here? It looks like I'm stuck because some floors didn't lower and prevent me to press on switches. I'm playing on the latest version of your map (on dropbox) and I obviously play on complevel 9.

doom283.png

@Roofi You are actually right, I checked in gzdoom, and this part works as intended, but in prboom+ it gets also blocked for me. At some point buttons should open, allowing for you to progress to next section (this next part is something truly special, by the way, I almost threw my laptot out of the window during it, without saves it's "quite" tough, if to put it politely). Also, I noticed this hom, @Killer5, it's quite a big one.

Spoiler

1.png.17e1ac660aa6231d9be69c6f91ccf38e.png

Ok, well while we are at, here are 4 more maps, time to give them some justice, including maps: 01, 08, 09, 10.

Map01 (updated): "Sugar, Water, Purple" by @Pinchy

I will be brief here, everything what was updated here is a huge plus, this beginning fight got 100% more intense with 4 hell knights, since now you can't cheese it by hiding in the corners. I honesly think this as good as it can get. I have no problems with this map in it's current state. 

Map10: "Everwhere" by @Obsidian

Damn, what a smoking hot map that is. I absolutely in love with "abstract" kind of maps, and this one delivers quite well in that department. I also enjoy the fact, that you are restricted to quite "unusual" arsenal of only RL and pistol. That makes some interesting encounters. VIsually wise I don't really have any problems with with it, I really dig this last part with rising "metal tents", that's some nice illusion in action right there. I have only couple nitpicks, including this exit sign with different lighting, it just kinda looks off to me:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20180623_201319.png.0a4e85367cc244da9e942d39848ad7d5.png

And this REALLY small misalignment:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20180623_201434.png.539af41984a9c83771005188d6a6d0f1.png

Other than that didn't find anything, including homs.

Now, gameplay was pretty solid and fun, however I must say, this part is pure evil, during my first playthrough I died here, since I was speeding up quite fast, since I expected for some new platform to appear, but not only the new popping land in the distance startled me, but also I didn't have enough time to strafe to another side, since the ledge is really small. I think you should make it wider or something, but I must admit this whole thing is kinda charming in a way (weird way)

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20180623_201645.png.8805a8f46524b54c6fe913dab6959112.png

Well, I guess that's it. Here is vid of my first attempt, where I fly right into the pit like a rock. In Overall really liked this map.

Map09: 'Omega Anger' @Bdubzzz

Wow, that was quite challenging, to put it politely, but in my opinion it was in a fun way, so it's all good. If I recall correctly, author mentioned that this map fits "secret" level category, and I tend to agree with it, considering that it's quite unique visually and gameplay wise (just 2546 enemies is quite a huge sign for that). I can't say much about it, since, well, I'm not an expert when it comes to slaughter maps, but for what it was I still enjoyed it. Though there were couple misalignments:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20180623_205257.png.5bc0a0ddd8c452df1976c7435114b29d.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180623_205542.png.8a26ac97adc94f515881d366bfb3bf03.png

Map08: "Unnamed" (at least I think so?) by @Breezeep

Ok, what a solid map. Seriously, didn't find any misalignments, homs, fights were fun, and, well, everything was kinda great. So unfortunately I can't really contribute, other than sharing my absolutely terrible first attempt at it. I guess it could be useful for the sake of analyze? Anyway, here you go:

Edit: fixed imagies, thanks to Aquila.

Edited by BioRenegat

Updated my op for Tesseract with a new version. I am not sure why stuff didnt lower but lines in that area are now much more difficult to skip.

Updated some other things. Changelog included with wad.

@Roofi @BioRenegat

It is most likely due to the extremely small line controlling that scrolling floor. If yall are playing in something other than prboom+, like eternity, the voodoo doll will take an Eternity (:P) to reach the lines. I remember this problem from reading the Stardate 20x6 dwmc thread.

The version should be updated anyways if we are expecting coop support because I am pretty sure that the multiplayer ports will also be affected.