Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

MAYhem 2018 - Purple Version!

@Roofi Just tested the fight on Prboom+, GZDoom, Zandronum, Eternity and ZDaemon. Worked with prb+/GZ/Zan and locks you in for a long time on Eternity and ZDaemon. Looks to be the control line issue Killer5 pointed out.

Should be able to cook up a new version supporting those ports tomorrow.

If this softlock happened to you in Prboom+ I have no idea what caused it and would love to see the demo to dig deeper.

Edited by MegaBlast

I updated my map to v3.2. I recently discovered the "-solo-net" command line and thought to give it a go. There are drastic changes made to the multiplayer to make players lives easier, especially when they die during the last fight. This update also fix a couple bugs and... more texture aligning. Again, gameplay has not changed at all and is the same as the one in the RC1 testing beta.

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rdss5w9gr4dtvr8/MH18P_Nailbiter_Swalzi_v3.2.wad?dl=1

I have been updating my original upload post on page 5 with current and previous updates.
-----
v3.2 notes:

Spoiler

♦ Bug Fixes:
  • Added another linedef action to lift fab marines to leveled floor in Red Key room. Action should no longer be un/intentionally skipped if the player decides to walk up the cement railing.
  • Fixed teleport spawn for combined soul sphere and partial invisiblity during final encounter on HNTR difficulty. Teleporter was not activated on HNTR difficulty.
  • Added an impassable linedef by the big window so players can't rocket jump outside of it.

♦ Details:
  • Realigned big window room textures.
  • Realigned more textures in outdoor playing area.
  • Realigned hallway textures leading to console room with purple key.
  • Realigned black support textures next to multiplayer and nukage canal teleporters. Thanks to Catpho's picture of it.

♦ HMP:
  • Removed radiation suit in outdoor playing area.

♦ Multiplayer:
  • Added a "second chance" equipment cache teleport if a player dies during the final encounter.
  • Added additional medikits on path to purple key.
  • Added two boxes of bullets before outdoor fight.
  • Removed multiplayer restriction of rocket ammo on platform near red key.
  • Replaced blue armor + soulsphere pickups near red key with megaspheres.
  • Added energy cells to red key room.
  • Altered AI settings of an existing multiplayer enemy.
  • Relocated a multiplayer enemy to a less trollish spot.
  • Removed an enemy. Deactivated a megasphere that wasn't supposed to be active during online play.

Alright, I've grabbed what I hope are the latest versions of each map and I'll have another release candidate out by tomorrow. Apologies for not being overly active: I blame life.

@Obsidian I apologies for being such a dumbass, but my recently uploaded map wasn't actually latest build of it, I kinda screwed up there. Here is correct one Permanganic, I hope it's not too late to upload this one for new complilation, because the difference between them is quite big.

13 hours ago, Obsidian said:

Alright, I've grabbed what I hope are the latest versions of each map and I'll have another release candidate out by tomorrow. Apologies for not being overly active: I blame life.

Made some updates to my map. Buffed UV difficulty a little bit, made harder to skip the last fight besides other small changes and fixes.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XoFQ0N3LiOF_FcDsJLQwGfWYpdg5FBn4

Alrighty, release 2 is here! Hopefully all updates have been accounted for, including my own (added difficulty settings and tweaking in places for Everwhere).

Oh, hell yeah, new compilation is out! That's pretty sweet. By the way, I quickly checked your updated map, @Obsidian, and noticed quite couple alterations, like some texture/terrain changes, pretty much all good stuff. However, I think this new secret doesn't work as intended, since it's already opened from the beginning.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20180625_140334.png.d5acfd2a02bde472c73589a0c02233f9.png

Checked it in builder, and as far as I understand, this floor should be at high of the ceiling, so that pressing switch would lower it down to reveal bfg? I think you should check this part out. Other than that, all new stuff is great. 

...son of a gum-chewing funk monster. There's always one thing I miss.

I'll grab that in the next update.

Played some maps today and had some thoughts about mostly the gameplay. 

FDA Demos ( with saves) maps 1 - 5 at the bottom...

Map 01 - Pinchy 

Spoiler

After you hit the red key switch maybe make the bridge not possible to pass until the rocket launcher appears, people might react to the chaingunnners/run across the bridge before it raises and possibly miss the rocketlauncher like I did the first time. Also in general the chaingunners seemed to teleport in a tad slow.
    Once you grab the yellow key I do feel like its a trial and error trap since a vile can target you right away and its not to clear where they are to take cover. This can be somewhat prevented by having chaingunners there first - you stand a chance to run and hide while only taking some damage - then having a vile teleport in after in there spots. Assuming they fall off the platform when you kill them the vile has a chance to revive a chaingunner in the liquid as well.
    Took a look at the secrets I missed after and I guess the plasma gun is timed with doing the platforming.. dont know how to get that beserk pack either :p
    Pretty fun/short map overall 

Map 02 - Valkiriforce

Spoiler

Good map - my only original complaint was going to be slow teleporting in monsters when you go up to that one area but then I saw you could walk through there  and it was a neat little area with a secret- so I think it's fine as is.
    The one trap after you pick up the purple skull can be a little harsh since your main focus will be on the plasma marines and if you run to the wrong side the chaingunner can smoke ya but its probably fine as is since you can kill him if you notice him :p
    I wonder if you should have a final trap/encounter when you raise the bridge to the exit.

Map 03 - MegaBlast/ Killer Zzul 5

Spoiler

So knowing the makers of this map I expected it to be challenging and probably have platforming, and I was right :p
    You can expect to die a lot on UV. It's a "puzzle combat" map where you take it one encounter at a time ( play with saves) and with some good strats and a bit of luck you can get through it. 
    So The only "normal" encounter I didn't really like was the 2nd one with the vile on each side, maybe I didn't see the intended strat but just kind of felt like "ok guess ill win when the viles decide not to target me..." there isn't enough room to dodge the rev rockets depending on where you have to take cover from the vile.
    Now if you hate platforming/gimmicks, I recommend skipping this map, if you can tolerate platforming/gimmicks then give it a go. With that said... none of the platforming was that difficult, although I kept falling at that purple circle water part for some reason... the real "hard" gimmick starts when you get to the final areas. Its something I don't think I have seen in a Doom map before. Your movement is restricted by red lines, if you cross the red line then you get teleported to your death. Sounds easy? Right, well wait until cybers and archviles get mixed with it. Good luck and have fun.
    So in conclusion it might fit a secret map slot the best, if we are going to have any, or if not then one of the last maps for sure.

Map 04 - Forli

Spoiler

So When I went up the lift at the start, I started having doubts of the map's gameplay because it was just some imps on boxes, couple of zombiemen on the ground. It also seems going that way first might make ammo somewhat tight. So this map had some surprisingly challenging encounters (or I was playing badly, who knows :p ), first one being the yellow key fight, my ammo situation wasn't that good to just spam plasma so had to try to get the plasma marines to hit the vile -     So i think the next notable encounter to mention was the suicide bomber stairs fight - it seems like unless you have plasma you are probably going to die. I believe an earlier version of these guys was slower so maybe the fight was originally made then but ya.. i would at least give some plasma for this encounter or shells, the ammo boxes indicate to use the chaingun but that didn't feel like the right weapon to use. 
    I didn't find the secret rocket launcher until the end of the map but it would of been nice to have for the red key encounter. (lots of hell knights) 
    The purple key encounter was good, the 1 vile makes it interesting.
    Now the last encounter was my favorite by far, I tried to do a simliar encounter in one of my maps ( hit a switch to get rid of viles) But I wasn't sure how to do it, a simple lift seems to work :p 
    pretty solid map overall, maybe needs more shells and less ammo boxes

Map 05 - Aquila Chrysaetos

Spoiler

I recall that this map maybe wasn't finished or was submitted after the deadline but then that didnt matter since we extended it a bit? Either way the gameplay needs some work IMO.
    SSG room - the mancs in corners  are no threat - you can just run out of the room then no real reason to kill them unless youre going for 100% kills - so perhaps have 1 teleport down each escape route hallway and have some flyer monsters come out of the corners instead 
    Red skull key- we all have SSG'd/plasma'd down a cyber by 2018, Id think so anyway so probably could be something more here such as the immortaler, you would have to trap the player in here though otherwise you could easily run out, the blood area below the platforming should probably be a pain sector.
    big room with 4 mancs on towers and a cyber in the middle.. not sure what the point was in that room, would be tedious to try to kill the cyber so best option was to just not kill the monsters - guess the cyber could snipe you if you forget about him since it is dark where he is standing.
    The switch to open the door to the 3 keys is also just a single cyber demon, I would try to come up with another encounter here. 
    So the final fight was a single immortaler i think, if you wanted to make that the red skull key fight instead, for the final you could have a cyber in here as well and a couple of other guys.
    These are all just small suggestions, but yeah I think the layout of the map makes it a little hard to really improve the gameplay but more traps could help - also there was to much ammo.
Alot of the door tracks need to be unpegged so they dont move when the doors opens.

May18p_FDA_Dubz_01-05.zip

3 people have mentioned the suicide bombers in my map, I went to test the encounter and it really is much more difficult, I can still do it with the chaingun, but only around 2/3 of the time when before I could do it every time and quite easily. I guess I should replace the bullets with cells in that encounter.

Other than that I saw a couple of wrong textures... I'll fix all of that later if I'm still allowed.

1 hour ago, Forli said:

Other than that I saw a couple of wrong textures... I'll fix all of that later if I'm still allowed.

You most certainly are. :) I'll be wrapping this up sometime in early July, but for now you have time to tweak and bugfix.

Vasiliki Thalassa

Changed the cyberdemons to immolators.

Flagged the fatsos in the center room to HMP and placed chaingun spiders for UV.

Expanded the platforms so the spiders can move some.

Removed some of the shell boxes and a cell pack.

Lowered the metal columns in the SSG room so the fatsos should pose a little more threat, in theory.

The immolator's height should be increased or its sprites lowered, because their sprites clip under low ceilings.

And I know Ultraviolet sucks, too, if anyone wants to take a crack at improving it, they're free to. I think I've done as much I can for it.

Oh, woops, sorry about that @Forli, that was really cruel from me to give you such a giant screenshot for a such small hom, here is some better look:

Spoiler

Here is general location of it:

Screenshot_Doom_20180628_173208.png.39223775c2246b890edb048455d6c10d.png

And here is closer look:

Screenshot_Doom_20180628_173124.png.7a65dd929c3aa191c78f92bde1732b99.png

11 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Dude, how did you see that? Is your computer resolution like 16,000x9,000 and you have 20/4 vision or something?

That strikes me as both amazing and strange.

Nah, nothing of that sort, my laptop is so weak, that I worry sometimes it might not even run minesweeper, and my vision isn't exactly pristine as a pure diamond, but I have some pretty sweet magic called "hom detection", which prboom+ provides so kindly. With it you can spot them from miles away without any trouble, quite useful stuff actually.

14 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

And I know Ultraviolet sucks, too, if anyone wants to take a crack at improving it, they're free to. I think I've done as much I can for it.

Here's an edited version. Plays on 06 and uses RC2 as a resource wad. 

AQ06.zip

Changed the structure to make it a three-key map where side areas can be tackled in any order. Overhauled the fights to work in the layout. The last area now doesn't have a teleporter, otherwise with knowledge, one could use it to leave at the start of the map.

I'd suggest to continue making changes to thing placement as you see fit. You might end up wanting to extend some of the facades of the side areas so that they look realistic when viewed from distant angles, since I ended up opening the whole map up.

For Obsidian: I don't want to be credited as a coauthor since I spent around 90 minutes on it, and it's important to me that my authorship reflect something that I actually worked on commensurately. But a note in the text file would be good. 

I just played back through Ultraviolet and it's solid.

I still think those plasma zombies need a few extra tics to their FaceTarget animation.

Aside from that, it's good.

Also, minor sky fix: Link.

Signed so its clear rdwpa worked on it for me (my way of getting credit across, I supposed).

Updated my map, after spending pretty much the entire month not opening DoomBuilder until this afternoon.

heliotrope v1.1

Still needs difficulties (and I guess multiplayer?), I'm really bad at that though. I'll get around to it once I've gotten some feedback! Aside from that, this is pretty much final as a map now.

Map 06 - AC/RD edit

Spoiler

Solid small Island-like map with some platforming. I like the "upside down" style visuals but there is a lot of HOM effects, not sure if you can fix those though, never made a "sky floor". Not much else to say about the gameplay, I think it was good for the map.

Map 07 - AD_79

Spoiler

Visually nice looking map with some eye opening traps: "hello cyber.. oh and vile and other dudes" At first I wasn't liking the rev turrets at the start of the map but since you get the rocket launcher fairly quickly they weren't to annoying. Personally I'd reduce the amount of hit scan in a couple of areas (like the chaingunners standing on red platforms in the distance down that hallway) but once again, nothing that ruins an overall fun map. Everything else was pretty good although I feel like this map could of used a few suicide bombers lurking around, like when you go to open the red door trap, instead of imps/pinkies with the vile and cyber it could of been a few of those guys.

Map 08 - Breezeep

Spoiler

I feel like I see Breezeep's name in every project :p anyway I liked the map overall, looked nice visually and seemed to flow gameplay wise. Guess if i had any criticism it would be it kind of felt like I was using the single shotgun on mid tier monsters to often. I'm not sure If i could of gotten the SSG sooner if I knew where it was. I liked the last stretch of the map but when you hit the red switch and hear the water lower you drop down to what seems like could be an epic "final" encounter. Nope; its just a few revs and a manc so it was kind of like "ok..." maybe there could be a plasma gun that teleports in and with it a cyber + few more monsters - would need ambush monsters to come from behind when you get the plasma to prevent retreating from the cyber

Map 09 - Bdubzzz

Spoiler

I dont understand why people decide to make "slaughter maps" in doomworld community projects, 0/10.

Map 10 - Obsidian

Spoiler

Interesting map with lots of plasma marines. I liked that you only get a berserk or rocket launcher for the close quarters area. For the final fight you get a godsphere (which I'm never a fan of cause its usually not needed in most fights they are in...), and well I took a look at the fight after my demo and easily beat it with no godsphere ( can just stand next to one pillar and rocket down all the marines and viles for the most part safely) . So instead of the godsphere maybe just put a megasphere there. The AV jump at the end is dickish for blind saveless/ play but its not a long map so wouldn't be that big of a deal if you had to replay the entire map I guess. Maybe you could brighten up the J U M P or make it look more clear as I had no idea what it said until after killing the vile :p

Map 11 - AN_Mutt - played the RC2 version.. didnt notice you posted an updated version sorry :p

Spoiler

Fun map for the most part - I did get kind of lost a few times since you revisit areas but its not a huge map or anything so eventually you find your way. I think I missed a yellow key secret. You will have to be careful on how you use your ammo as you need ammo to take out viles. Other then that you do get a berserk pack so can't complain on to little ammo but maybe you could add a few more rockets for the start of the map. The fights were well done so can't say much more about improving gameplay.

Map 12 - Dragonfly/Jmickle

Spoiler

The demo wasn't my first attempt cause i died not having saved like 100 monsters in then just closed out the demo instead of hitting use. Cave area near start - to dark IMO. ( I play with gamma 0 in prboom+). I wasn't really liking this map at first due to the darkness of some areas and the amount of hitscan. This is just my playstyle perference though, the less hitscan the better. Anyway very nicely detailed map. The little supply depots are neat. There was one part after hitting a switch that makes you go down to an area with already awake suicide bombers and other hitscan guys - not sure if this is intentional. (if you don't drop down right away you can screw your self with inf height on)  The final encounter is not fully working, the imps are asleep in their monster closets. Also I think you should include a way to go back after triggering the final encounter (unless I missed a way back)

Map 13 - Nirvana

Spoiler

Rapid fire launcher fight - I felt like the biggest challenge was being able to see.. which isnt good for a slaughter fight.. had to turn gamma on to 4 then beat it within a couple of tries.(had no plasma gun or BFG) Continued the map with gamma 0 and the rest of it seemed to play fine. Demo only includes like 300 monsters - not sure if you intended being able to skip everything in the yellow key door entrance but yeah I think the issue is you can lower yellow skull key bars with yellow keycard.  played the rest no demo; The fight before you grab the red keycard, the vile doesnt do anything for the first part. The floor is raised to high unless you intended it to just scare the player lul. For the final fight in terms of maxing the map - it seems like grabbing more Cells in the middle is a bit of a problem with all the immolators So maybe reduce the amount of them as they just turn in to a circle strafe anyway or cells a bit further away from the middle ( I ran out of ammo on everything else and they were still alive)

Ill try to finish the maps today or tomorrow, taking a break for now

May18p_FDA_Dubz_06-13.zip

You can credit rdwpa for most of the gameplay, but I don't think that I can fix those HOM in the sky floors. BioRenegat already brought those to my attention and the only solution I can conclude is to remove my custom sky from the map entirely, which I'd rather not do, but I can if popular opinion holds to it.

About MAP05, some of the tracks at the doors are supposed to be attached to the ceiling like that. I do that in a few wads, and I kind of like it.

Fixed some stuff Bdubz mentioned in his post -namely the yellow key skip- and some other little things. Thanks for the feedback btw Dubz, useful as always :D

Lilac Anomaly v4

@Obsidian

Updated the op for Tesseract with an updated version that fixes slow scroller issue. Includes other updates viewable in txt included with wad.

v05 should be the final version unless another bug appears that needs to be fixed.

Map - 14 Rdwpa/Scotty

Spoiler

Knowing the creators of this map I expected it to be a good one and it was. You have options as to where to go first which is always a nice thing, adds a fun factor in figuring out what would be the fastest route if you were to max the map. Out of the normal encounters I didn't come across any that felt out of wack, the final big encounter took a little bit but I think that was because you only get one megasphere then once your out of armor it only takes a few rev rockets to kill ya, maybe you could of gone in with 200/200 ( I went in with 69/0). So the map in general felt pretty dark but it didn't effect the gameplay until the secret encounter for me. Had to turn the gamma to 4 eventually and was able to beat it fairly quickly after doing so, need to focus on the revs precisely and take them down quickly but you can't do that if you cant see them. Guess i should mention i had 40 cells entering the fight, maybe you're intended to have more.

Map 15 - Benjogami

Spoiler

Solid map overall, best part was the final fight with cybers and immolators infighting, the start to the map was a little annoying since you don't have the ammo/weapons until you run by the Grells. I could only find the secret berserk pack so missed a secret fight I guess :( 

Map 16 - Crunchynut44

Spoiler

So first impression of the map.. you walk up some stairs and what do you see? Chaingunners/hitscan in the distance on towers... (aka not a fun time) So that ended up being the maps biggest flaw IMO, elevated hitscan in the distance. There was one sargeant that I couldn't even hit, maybe you could of killed him elsewhere? Either way its bad design, unavoidable damage you can't do anything about. (unless you are playing with free look) Theres one lift with 3 hell knights on it that you can get behind after it lowers that you can't escape unless you glide out of it. ( refer to screenshot) So the ammo situation seemed to be somewhat tight, but I did end up finding a 300 plasma secret behind the cyber.. ( only found 1 secret) Also I didn't find the SSG until after the purple skull key so that would of saved some ammo. The one encounter where you hit a switch  and it raises a bunch of trapped revs/ couple mancs/ spider.. You should probably have some rockets there to deal with the revs otherwise makes more sense to just leave them. Also since you can kill the vile across the bridge early its easy to run away from them. (maybe have the vile teleport in after you hit the switch) The final bit seemed alright although i just went for the exit after dieing to the 6 Immolaters :p

Map 17 - Swalzi

Spoiler

Start of the map - why the monster block line? Most players will use that line and just let infighting happen/shotgun down the revs. So the lock in that occurs once you cross that line is kinda pointless. The one door after you go up a lift somewhat near the start that keeps closing... Have it open once and stay open because this area seems to force you to have to door camp all the monsters as running out there only seemed to end badly. Also why is there a monster block line for here as well, its encouraging door camping which most people don't like to do. Yeah so I would try to come up with something else for a couple of these areas so its not just going from 1 spot to the next and camping a door/ monster block line. Ok so all of these monsters (refer to screenshot) should be part of a "purple key switch encounter" When you hit the switch it raises 2 bridges and all these guys can go across but you give the player 130 rockets  and a rocket launcher to just stand on the other side and kill them with no threat (unless you get sniped by rev rockets like me :p )without hitting the switch. So you could instead get the rocket launcher when you hit this purple switch. This puts pressure on the player. I did it this way and it was a lot more fun then just  hey lets rocket down all these monsters across a ledge. Also you might want to hide all these monsters by pop up or other means until you hit the purple switch, thats not really needed though.
    Ok so the red key fight was kind of interesting at first but then i realized the only reliable strat was to kill the viles at the top and then camp up there and let infighting happen while trying to take out viles.. Maybe you could give the player a BFG for this fight and that would open up more strats such as being aggressive on all the monsters instead of having to camp and snipe. Well your last encounter is kind of the same as the red key encounter except the monsters slowly funnel through a door.. maybe instead when you hit the "exit switch" behind the red door it opens up that wall near the exit door and you could have a few elevated immolaters behind cages and on the ground level a bunch of revs for the final encounter ( so its different then the red key encounter)
    These are are just suggestions but I think its fair to say the map does need some work from its current gameplay.

Map 18 - PepsiBepsi

Spoiler

Perhaps a good opener map, uses a few grells and a few suicide bombers at the end so kind of introduces a couple of the new monsters. There is 6 guys stuck in teleporter closets from what I can tell so the map isn't possible to max atm. Unless they are suppose to teleport in for something else? The one pain elemental at the end is kind pointless as there is impassable lines for the mid textures so a Grell  or 2 would make more sense 

Map 19 - BioRenegat

Spoiler

So very nicely detailed map, I felt the use of plasma marines was a little excessive.. as most of my deaths were to them I believe. Tbh id rather see them then the chaingunners in the sniper towers though ;p The Map has some pretty cool little encounters as well, one involving platforming around an immolater for example. Although you can just run away. The secrets are cool as well. I think you really need more armour in this map.. a plasma marine can just 1 shot you from 100 health so some more armor wouldn't be that big of a deal anyway. So this is a very long map and keeps the action coming, monsters behind every crate, creative encounters to mix it up.. so It didn't feel like a hour long map... Unfortunately i only found 3/9 secrets and well I would go back and look for them except I want to finish the final map today lol Also every1 should play this map if you have time, its pretty good.

Map 20 - Worm318

Spoiler

So this maps biggest flaw IMO is you can almost do the entire map without ever finding the SSG which means single barrel'ing down everything which gets tedious. The combat was mostly incidental combat with a few traps here and there. So uh it wasn't a bad map but not my favorite either because i got lost for 10 minutes :p

Stuck lift for map 16:

Spoiler

stucklift.jpg.d29b6234c1e554c8b483d0c2a754bc0a.jpg

And thats all the maps and the rest of the FDA demos... hope it helped some1 out 

May18p_FDA_Dubz_14-20.zip

Thank you very much @Bdubzzz, really appreciate your feedback and your kind words, yeah, I definitely went full ham with plasma guys for sure, I think they are the main reason of such high difficulty, I agree there. Also, I noticed from your fda that you might have played slightly old version of it? At least I didn't notice this new visual change, so I think that might be the case.

Spoiler

This ship + some new containers

Screenshot_Doom_20180625_131253.png.349b2bf4555519fa80436b7384521df9.png

The reason I'm mentioning this, is because the newer version has some slight encounter changes, and I was worried if they would work mechanically or not for other people, but I'm at least glad that there is stable version of this map though, so, thanks for playing once again.

Nevermind, I panicked for no reason.

Edited by BioRenegat

@Bdubzzz Oh no, I'm complete moron, I launched another lmp, which was made like 3 weeks ago, my bad, then everything is smooth as a butter (except by brains) sorry about that.

@Bdubzzz thanks for the feedback. I'll look into fixing that monster closet and replacing the pain elemental (or just putting it somewhere else perhaps)