Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

MAYhem 2018 - Purple Version!

Did some tinkering.

In PRBoom+ 2.5.1.5 - 2560x1440 resolution mine is equally as distorted as Galileo's.. I usually always play doom in this res and have never seen this bug.

image.png.9bf6f2dca41915a8ef94afa26d4abbff.png

It's somehow related to resolution, looks fine at low very res.. Half as fucked up in 1920x1080 as shown here:image.png.6e36102b0f478121a0fdb3a3618a574b.png

Haven't been able to get past whirlpool at the westmost part of map07. Tried in glboom214 and gzdoom331, teleport there doesn't seem to work.

Also damn those marines, every one of them is like a brief encounter with cyberdemon.

Yeah, the whirlpool was borked by yours truly before posting. I've fixed it since then and the next compilation should arrive in a slightly more timely manner.

I took a quick look at map 14's changes and while it is more fun now it is also harder so I would say to at least switch it with map 15 so the transition from a more casual Doom to kick your ass Doom isn't as rough :) 

A few issues noticed with the help of tnswutil:

MAP06 uses extended nodes even though they are not necessary. This will prevent the map from loading in ZDaemon.

MAP01, MAP12 and MAP21 don't have any player 2-4 starts.
MAP02 has two player 3 starts and no player 4 start. The extra player 3 start will show up as a voodoo doll in ZDaemon.

In regard to MP-testing - we'll be happy to give both orange and purple versions a playthrough in TNS... uh, soon enough -- there are just too many new releases right now and we're trying to prioritize as best as we can. Any ETA for the final releases so we can adjust our schedule if needed? 

/me Flops.

I'm still here, I promise! Work on the next compilation is going forward and I'm also putting together the accompanying textfile. I still need music credits for MAP01 (which I'm pretty sure I picked the MIDI for, so that's gonna be a bitch), MAP03, MAP08 and MAP09: once I can nab those, the proverbial paperwork will be done and dusted.

Midi credits for the missing maps:

Map01 - "Shrouded in Darkness" by Jimmy

Map03 - "Fear's Falter" by David Shaw

Map08 - "Moon/Mars - Sukarabe Fight 2" from The Hybrid Front, sequenced by Jayster

Map09 - "Recycle" by Maxime Tondreau

Are we good to go now?

I'd guess that it's due to the size of the graphic, but until I can get more information it might have to be left as is. I'll ask around.

As promised, multiplayer playing/testing TNS session of half of the maps starts in 20 minutes and should be active for at least around 4 hours. Of course, we will be glad if any of the map authors join us!

We will follow this with the Orange Version (also split into 2 sessions) and the other half of this wad in the upcoming weeks so feel free to pay us a visit if you want to see the wad or specifically your map(s) played by a whole heap of players.

Alrighty, a little notice: I have an updated version of the wad that I can post, but I'd like to ask if there's any map updates that people need to tackle first. Currently the only changes since the last update are graphical (cheers Galileo :D), so I'd prefer to get everything now rather than put out an update that instantly becomes outdated. 

I'd be more strict on this to be honest. "Any map submissions not sent by <date> will be ignored".

This project was for May, after all. :P

1 hour ago, Dragonfly said:

I'd be more strict on this to be honest. "Any map submissions not sent by <date> will be ignored".

This project was for May, after all. :P

Yeah, this whole CP has been something of a learning experience in general. I'll be running a much tighter ship next time around.

Regarding final updates (barring bugs), I don't think there's too much left to do. My ideal release time is the end of the month though, and if it goes past that and heels are being dragged I might have to put my foot down.

45 minutes ago, Mere_Duke said:

And please don't forget to update 1st post so it will be easier to track the release.

(Same about orange version.)

All of the release candidates are found in the second post, right under the mappers list. :)

Hey @Obsidian, some things regarding Everwhere I felt like pointing out: the finale is quite a roll of the dice, wasn't able to discern any reliable way to squeeze through aside from by pure luck. Storming with loads of infantry this dangerous that just keeps firing relentlessly, then with that many AVs and replenishing spiders on the flanks... ooof; the rest of the map (quite tricky as it stands) feels like a walk in the park compared to this particular scenario.

If you're willing to look into the issue - I've got two possible suggestions:

- I see that there are two soulspheres instead of medkits on easy difficulty, at least one of them could return for UV, probably even both though (as for easy difficulty - it wouldn't hurt to have an invul if you ask me, haha);

or

- removing those spider towers altogether (or at least making them not replenishing, with just a single arach onto each one of them), I understand the urge to show off the chaingun spider for a little bit more but they really are too much of a nuisance, all things considered. Place one instead of a manc in the first tower if you have to, that'd make a whopping two of them, heh.

Decreasing the number of AVs might also be the right thing to do, there are two cadres of those arriving in the field, nixing just a single one from each of those should already give the player more breathing room.

Cheers!

MAP08 - Seven monsters didn't teleport in. GZDoom issue. Center of monster (radius + 1) has to cross the linedef for the monster to teleport. In sector 710 the first monster is an Arachonotron, radius 64 units. The distance from the corner of the closet to the center of the teleport linedefs 18 and 29 is 64 units. Can't cross.

@Obsidian To answer your question from the Orange thread, I was using RC6. I think I clicked on my RC5 batch file the last time. Explains why my save wouldn't load. I thought I corrupted it again and started the map over.

Okay, a bunch more qualms below.

MAP10's title doesn't fit into the automap, I guess you should go with "..." at some point.

Also I suppose this map's got a [relatively] big secret fight hidden somewhere?.. Exited with ~2/3rds killed.

MAP16 (Lilac Anomaly)

These decorations here don't really look like everything's okay (in sectors 564 & 565):

Spoiler

doom00.jpg.4437eaa2bd47596f96010e654af0d55f.jpg

Same near the opposite wall (sectors 981 & 982).

MAP17 (Permanganic Shores)

- things 2253 & 2254 (hanging bodies in the secret hellish area) are infinitely tall and therefore fuck with player's movement during the immolator encounter, would rather replace those with non-blocking ones;

- I understand that this map is supposed to fuck the player over again and again, in a sense, but I still felt that making sectors 1338-1341 (where the player is expected to shoot two switches using the lifts) crushing is a little bit too much of a dickmove.

MAP18 (Omega Anger)

- regarding this window...

Spoiler

doom01.jpg.e1d17a8374d054a558ea163929d5e38c.jpg

...not really sure what's the point, as the player can both aggro and shoot pinkies in that closet through it;

- a minor thing but still - some kind of barrier (or at least a fence) around the playing area wouldn't hurt I think, as hitting the "edge of the world" like this feels rather awkward. The exit floor could also be lowered a little bit further. Then again - these are minor things that hardly affect anything.

MAP19 (Murasaki)

Some misalignments:

- linedef 1949

Spoiler

doom02.jpg.b71149fc3f913b0cc9afc78296361ad9.jpg

- sector 833

Spoiler

doom03.jpg.b6462de3d9749a9696f682ef3875bf26.jpg

- not sure how you feel about the stairs, still mentioning, just in case

Spoiler

doom04.jpg.0715fdaa183594b103c83505349bd505.jpg

Also what's up with the overall brightness level? Had to increase gamma correction to be able to play comfortably, dark as the moonless night I suppose...

Also yeah, for the sake of clarity - map20's midi is this tune.

3 hours ago, Demonologist said:

MAP19 (Murasaki)

Thanks for playing and for the issue reports. Fixed the texture problems. The lighting is the way it is for atmosphere... regardless, i've bumped it by 16 globally as it helps the map in software mode.

@Obsidian i've updated map19 here then, link... (also fixes a couple of minor software mode rendering bugs i've encountered in the map)

Oh yes, just my two cents regarding map20 - I agree with Bdubzzz in that it can be a secret one, its gameplay is gimmicky and unconventional (not to mention cruel, heh), I guess that's what the secret maps are for when they aren't aesthetic experiments (ironically, this one also is, to an extent). The orange version has a secret map, so maybe its purple counterpart should, too, and this is the best candidate I think.

Shouldn't be surprising that the Zzul/MegaBlast duo prefers the path of the most resistance, eh?

Hmmm...it would be a good idea to have a secret map, but currently the lineup allows me to use the post-MAP20 intermission text for story purposes. I dunno how much people value that, heh.

GZDoom. MAP17 RC4

Mapinfo error. MAP17 'next' is MAP17.

Some monsters didn't teleport in. I'm guessing blocked teleport landing spots. That may always happen on a random basis. I don't know.

Spoiler

A7gkcsB.png

8 hours ago, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

GZDoom. MAP17 RC4

Mapinfo error. MAP17 'next' is MAP17.

Some monsters didn't teleport in. I'm guessing blocked teleport landing spots. That may always happen on a random basis. I don't know.

Reveal hidden contents

A7gkcsB.png

Ok, thanks for finding this out. I would like to ask, which port did you use to test this map? Because there is actually a "mechanism", allowing monsters to teleport, eventually, and from all my testings in gzdoom and prboom+ all monsters were spawning without any trouble so far. So my guess is that the problem is more engine related, since scrolling floors are quite finicky things. Definitely will look into it today. (Also, meanwhile, I will change some stuff, which Demonologist suggested)

Edit: Finally got some time to dissect this case, I actually managed to replicate this, only in prboom though, it's quite bizzare how this "bug" can happen in the first place. The chance of it transpiring is quite low, but it's not an excuse at all to just leave it out. Luckily, I found reliable solution, so it should be all good once I finish fixing it (I hope at least so). Once again, really appreciate feedback.

Edited by BioRenegat

On 9/26/2018 at 4:46 AM, Demonologist said:

MAP16 (Lilac Anomaly)

These decorations here don't really look like everything's okay (in sectors 564 & 565):

Reveal hidden contents

doom00.jpg.4437eaa2bd47596f96010e654af0d55f.jpg

Same near the opposite wall (sectors 981 & 982).

Not sure if these decorations were changed at some point in the resource wad, but they didn't look like this when I put them in (I think they were just tek pillars or something.) If they need to be changed then they can just be made into red column with the skull on it I guess.