Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Liberation

Meters in Doom units?

Posted (edited)

I'm trying to scale some ship models and I'm trying to work out a rough gauge for length.

Does 64 units work out at roughly a meter or not? What do people think? 

Edited by Liberation

When Doomguy guest starred in Quake 3, his height was given as 6 feet, which is 56 units in the original engine, so one foot would be 9⅓ units. 1 meter is 3.28084 feet, so that's 30.62117333333333 units, which would then be rounded up to 31.

But then again, last time I tried applying real world measurements to the Doom engine like that, a lot of people disagreed. Maybe it's worth waiting to see what those kinds of people have to say.

I imagine 32 map units to be equivalent to one meter, which would handily put Doomguy's height at 175 cm, or 68.9 in, or 5 ft 8.9 in.

It also makes for a very easy conversion.

Agreed about 1m = 32 map units.  It perfectly fits with the minimum size of doors. It's certainly the best one can come up with.

I have some more anecdotal evidence to support the 32 units = 1 meter theory. I was working on a Minecraft texture pack conversion for Doom and 1 block in MC is 1 meter @ 16 pixels. In Doom the pixels seem to be about half scale compared to MC because a 16 pixel tall block in Doom is half as tall and long as a 16 pixel MC block. So I used a 32x32 texture pack instead and then the blocks came out to be roughly the same height compared to doomguy as they are compared to Steve. Meaning 32 Doom units = 16 MC pixels and 16 MC pixels = 1 meter. Therefore, 32 Doom units = 1 meter.

I think the horizontal scale is different from the vertical scale. Otherwise, Doomguy would be a meter wide.

7 minutes ago, Empyre said:

I think the horizontal scale is different from the vertical scale. Otherwise, Doomguy would be a meter wide.

Thick armor :P

Also note that the pixels in Doom are skewed vertically by about 33% because it was designed for the 4:3 aspect ratio, so 32 units on the floor might be a meter, but theoretically, 32 units on a wall might be 1.333 meters.

Posted (edited)

51 minutes ago, SOSU said:
59 minutes ago, Empyre said:

Thick armor :P

Yes. the player's height is  56e units  (/0.32=1.75m). It is real value. Radius of player is 16 units.

I assume that the radius of nude player approx 5 units (Waist - hips 100cm) and thickness of armor is 11 units (34 cm).

As a practice shows, it is enough to withstand a missile hit from an alive cyberdemon.

1 hour ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Also note that the pixels in Doom are skewed vertically by about 33% because it was designed for the 4:3 aspect ratio, so 32 units on the floor might be a meter, but theoretically, 32 units on a wall might be 1.333 meters.

20%. A 5x5 square detail on a wall will look like a 5x6 rectangle after taking aspect ratio correction into account.

Based on that, if you use 32 vertical units = 1 meter, then that means that 32 horizontal units are closer to 83.333 cm. Inversely, if you use 32 horizontal units = 1 meter, then 32 vertical units = 120 cm.