Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Budoka

Strange bugs in Alien Vendetta with Gl/PrBoom+

So, I've been playing Alien vendetta using GlBoom+ with the -complevel 2(Doom II format compatibility) parameter as deduced from the .txt file information. This might have something to do with loading saved games wile the "attract screen" demo is running but some very weird things happened to me:

- When pistol starting MAP09:Caste Gardens after a death, it kept starting me in an entirely random spot on the map, each time completely different from the starting point of previous attempt. Some of which, unsurprisingly no doubt, made it unplayable.

- After loading a save halfway through MAP11:Nemesis while running AVMOVFIX.WAD, the end tally screen switched from the single player mode one to the Co-op mode one, although given the entirely manageable opposition I don't think the game actually switched to solo-net.

I have never encountered these issues with any other WAD files nor any other source port, even when loading a saved game during the demo. The version of PrBoom+ which I am running is apparently 2.5.1.4.

What's more, and this might be the OpenGL rendering goofing it up, but all the places in the WAD which use the "deep water" trick display HOM effects. Speaking of both that and "Nemesis", through discovering a hidden "waterfall lift" and slipping through a hole in one of those deep water canals, and then the use of some platforming shenanigans while trying to find my way through the level, I ended up skipping the red key portion altogether and exiting the map with something like 80 monsters never encountered.

Is this a known trick ? Also, does anyone know how to fix the issues previously mentioned ?

Edited by Budoka

I think the issue with coop stuff appearing in SP is kinda similar to this. (Are you exactly playing 2.5.1.4?)

Deep water and other special tricks are known to break in gl, but check the latest build. (Here)

The "history" text file says 2.5.1.4, yes (Why did I write it as 2.1.5.4? Let's fix that). Does that have sub-releases of its own ?

7 minutes ago, Budoka said:

The "history" text file says 2.5.1.4, yes (Why did I write it as 2.1.5.4? Let's fix that). Does that have sub-releases of its own ?

Not officially but there was this prb2k mod which removed 2-key sr50. Unfortunately the link died. 

2 hours ago, Budoka said:

I ended up skipping the red key portion altogether and exiting the map with something like 80 monsters never encountered.

Is this a known trick ?

Yes this is a known trick. I considered the red key area a bit too long for a Nightmare speedrun, so I implemented this shortcut. However, someone found a much cooler trick which I didn't know about, so its possible to finish the map in about a minute without doing the climb up to the castle.