Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wenex

Can't start WADS through ZDL nor Doom Launcher

Posted (edited)

Hello, I'm new to Doom wads, but I have read up some tutorials and guides how to use wads loaders such as ZDL or Doom Launcher. 

Problem is, that if I want to start for example Bloodstain or Scythe wads (or I would assume any other player created wad) I always end up receiving the "Palette not found" error. If I drop down the wads onto gzDOOM then everything works correctly no issue. Thing is I would like to use some huds or graphical mods on top of those wads, and at the current moment it's not possible for me.

I have zero idea why does this error appear, have no idea what a palette even is in this case. I'm not sure whenever there's something wrong with files in folder or the gzDOOM settings. Can someone help me with this issue?

Screenshots:

16MyII8.jpg r5NgMfQ.jpg  Jb50jiD.jpg gjIDqVI.jpg

Cheers.

IWADs are the original games. Bloodstain is not an IWAD and needs to be in the external files part of ZDL, and DOOM2 should be used as the IWAD instead.

Posted (edited)

Can you explain in more detail? If Bloodstain is not an IWAD then why does it work if I drop it down on gZDOOM just as I would do that with DOOM2?

What should I do with Bloodstain for example to start it up in gzDOOM and with hud mods? Or that is not possible and the only way to play Bloodstain is a drop down method?

2 minutes ago, Wenex said:

Can you explain in more detail? If Bloodstain is not an IWAD then why does it work if I drop it down on gZDOOM just as I would do that with DOOM2?

When you drops WADS on GZDoom.exe - you're commiting "gzdoom.exe -IWAD Doom2.wad -file bloodstain.wad", not "Gzdoom.exe - IWAD Bloodstain.wad".

If you have more IWADS (Doom, Doom 2, TNT, Plutonia) - you will get the menu first, not the running mod itself.

Bloodstain is a PWAD, any content contained within (i.e. maps) will replace the content of Doom II, and the stuff that's missing from Bloodstain will be taken from Doom2 instead.

To launch it with additional mods, you would also add the mod files to the external files list, such that Bloodstain is first in the list and the mods are loaded after so that their content (not maps) overrides both Bloodstain and Doom2.

Posted (edited)

Okay so I dropped Bloodstain into external with Doom2 as an IWAD and now it starts correctly. Thank you!

The only thing that concerns me at this point is the performance of the game itself with mods. I would say I have pretty average PC and I would not expect game such as Doom 2 to perform at 40 to 60 fps. Very unstable and incosistant framerates which is pretty surprising for me since I watched a lot of WADs playthroughs and I never seen someone's game to perform that bad.

I assume the reason of such performancet is because of the engine limitations or how it uses the available resources. Or I am using the video settings which serverly decrease the performance. Problem is the Doom2 settings are so vast and confusing, I have no idea where I should even start.

Edited by Wenex

Posted (edited)

Doom when executed with DOOM.EXE is locked at something like 35.5 fps. It wasn't conceived to be run at 50fps, 60fps or with an uncapped framerate and it seems doing so can disturb a lot of computers. Every single laptop I've tried doing that on overheated immediately, despite not showing  any issues the rest of the time. As for ressources, GZDoom is one of the greediest source ports out there, so you have to be aware of that.

Speaking of which, it isn't the Doom 2 settings you're navigating through but the GZDoom settings. GZDoom adds in tons of obscure functionalities that the original game doesn't have, Zdoom slightly less, and the much more purist-oriented PrBoom+ and GlBoom+ a lot less than that still.

In case you're interested, Pr/GlBoom+ can run very large-sized and/or very detailed and/or highly populated maps with zero trouble even on below average machines, but since you're apparently a big mod head you should know that a lot of mods aren't supported by it, including Brutal Doom and Project Brutality(I don't think it would even be possible as they include a fair few gameplay mechanics that don't exist anywhere in those ports nor in the regular game).