Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DepravedDiptera

Favorite Source Port?

Posted (edited)

I want to do something like Savagegrant's Top Wads post, but with source ports:

I don't know if anyone has done this before and I'm sorry if they have, link the post and I'll delete this.

The way voting works for this post is you say what your favorite source port is and I'll add tallies to them. If there's a source port not listed here you can still vote for it I'll add it. You can list multiple source ports, but there's no point system, each vote is only one point. Dosbox doesn't count.

GZDoom [13: DepravedDiptera, Anidrex_1009, Caffeine Freak, YukiRaven, Apaul27, Cyan0s1s, HAK3180, ZeroTheEro, AjoraMFG38, Cacodemon345, Aquila Chrysaetos, Gez]

PrBoom+ / GLBoom+ [7: Caffeine Freak, Mun, GhoulDesecrator, Agent6DoomeroHispalense, Zahid, FonzeAquila Chrysaetos]

Eternity [3: JonEdward850, Gez]

ZDoom [3: Ex OblivioneCaffeine Freak, Urthar]

Chocolate Doom [3: DepravedDiptera, YukiRaven, DoomeroHispalense]

Zandronum [3: Doomkid, TederAquila Chrysaetos]

DelphiDoom [2: YukiRaven, Gez]

CrispyDoom [2: Cyan0s1sHAK3180]

Doomsday [2: Caffeine Freak, YukiRaven]

ZDaemon [2: Doomkid, Rosh Fragger]
Odamex [2: Doomkid, DoomeroHispalense]

3DGE [1: Gez]

Doom Retro [1: Gez]

Edit: I agree with Doomkid's comment, I might add the point system eventually, but for now I'll be using the single vote system.

Edit2: I can't keep up with this. I give up on keeping track. REEEEEEEEE

Edited by DepravedDiptera

GZDoom.

My first source-port and favorite. Its really simple to use and has a lot of great stuff. It makes Doom run way better in modern systems and allows quite some personalization with its great list of in-game options. I'm not a connoisseur of programming, I actually feel a lil bit stupid in the forums cause theres lots of programmers and smart pc fans that actually understand a lot more about the source-port, but me?  I just love it because its simple and complete.

There are a ton of threads like this actually:

Your format is a bit different tho, so i dunno.

4 minutes ago, Catpho said:

There are a ton of threads like this actually:

Your format is a bit different tho, so i dunno.

I want to rank the source ports by the amount of votes with it being a poll and instead just people telling me source ports so I can get as many ranked as possible.

People *have* done this topic many times, but I feel like it's an appropriate thing to ask periodically, as source ports get updated many times over the years and can potentially fall out of favor or reach newly found preference with different people. Especially since new Doomers join the scene over time, particularly in the first few years after a new installment in the series.

Anyway. For me, it's 1. Gzdoom 2. Zdoom 3. PrBoom+ 4. Doomsday.

I like Prboom's old-school vanilla feel, and how versatile and compatible it is. Zdoom may be discontinued, but it's the first source port I ever used, and I always found it easy to use, even as a newbie, and I always liked the small enhancements it introduced while retaining the feel of the original .exes. Gzdoom is my favorite for the plethora of OpenGL options and ability to *really* take advantage of modern hardware acceleration. It has 10x the number of tweakable features that most modern games have, and I love that fact.

Doomsday is always cool for just how far it takes the engine, and all of the different texture packs available for it and re-mastered music files you can stick in there. In some ways, it feels a generation or two ahead of the Doom engine, in that the rendering reminds me a bit more of the original Unreal Engine, or maybe Quake 3 Arena. However, I've always found the overall feel of it to be a bit awkward, like there's a lag in the response time of the game that slows it down behind how the Doom engine games originally played. So it ranks last on my list of favorites.  

Posted (edited)

I like prb-plus because of it's compatbility with older exes and it's demo recording feature. It's also fast on large maps.

I also like chococolate-doom, crispy doom and zdoom.

Edited by mun

Posted (edited)

I like the points system of the WAD thread much better, I feel like 10 points to allocate would be suitable for Source Ports. Really hope we re-do it with this sort of tally system.

4 points - Odamex

4 points - ZDaemon

2 points - Zandronum

Picking just one port feels blasphemous. Points allows for varying degrees and thus a more accurate tally. I honestly like all 3 of the above pretty evenly. If I have to pick just one... I guess give it to Odamex? Really tough to say though. It could have just as easily gone to ZDaemon or Zand.

#1 is a tie between GZDoom and Doomsday for me.  #2 is Chocolate Doom.  I haven't played with DelphiDoom much, but it seemed pretty awesome as well, so count that as #3 for me.

1 hour ago, Anidrex_1009 said:

GZDoom.

My first source-port and favorite. Its really simple to use and has a lot of great stuff. It makes Doom run way better in modern systems and allows quite some personalization with its great list of in-game options. I'm not a connoisseur of programming, I actually feel a lil bit stupid in the forums cause theres lots of programmers and smart pc fans that actually understand a lot more about the source-port, but me?  I just love it because its simple and complete.

Same for me.

Cross between Crispy Doom and GZDoom. The former for vanilla play, the latter for Boom-compatibility / mods.

PRBoom+

I tend to play the IWADs with Chocolate Doom, and GZDoom when the wad/mod requires it, but i prefer using PRBoom+ whenever i can

PrBoom+ managed to seduce me and consequently became my favorite source port (originally it was GZDoom), but beside them I also like Eternity, Chocolate Doom, and use them from time to time or if a megawad demands a specific port.

Posted (edited)

It may be discontinued, but you can take ZDoom from me when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Edited by Urthar

PrBoom+

The only things it's missing for me are client/server for mp and heretic support. 

GZDoom fits all my needs and then some, but I'd like to also give points to 3DGE, DelphiDoom, Doom Retro, and Eternity. Not because I use them often (I don't), but mostly because I'm glad they exist and are treading new grounds, exploring their own paths for the development and extension of the Doom engine.

Oke, heres my quick response: i use Prboom+, GZDoom and Chocolate Doom mostly. I'll give a points to Eternity, Rised3D, 3DGE, ZDaemon and Zandronum too.

...Whats Odamex like? Ive only heard it a few times. What makes it different?

Zandronum.

GZDoom is a second pick because I use it whenever Zandronum can't run something.