Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DepravedDiptera

Favorite Source Port?

These posts may shed some light on it, and if there is something more to share perhaps @fabian can clarify.

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/1739382

fabian said:

What this means it that as it is now, you may build Crispy Heretic/Hexen/Strife by simply uncommenting them in the build scripts and they will work out of the box (but they won't have any of the advancements added to the Doom code base within the previous three years). However, when rendering has been changed to true-color this won't be the case anymore without substantial adjustments to these three games. And as long as nobody steps up as a volunteer maintainer, this won't happen, because I have neither the time nor the incentive to maintain these additional three myself.

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/1788593

fabian said:

Hey guys, I am just here to tell you that Crispy Heretic (and Hexen and Strife) is still there and regularly synced with the (admittedly, sparse) commits to the Choco code base. It is just that Crispy Heretic/Hexen/Strife are not built and released anymore, because I haven't done any changes to them since the initial release (though, I have turned Heretic limit-removing at one point).

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/1823758

fabian said:

I'd like WinMBF to build cleanly on 64-bit systems and would like to introduce some convenience feature for building and running on Unix-based systems. As for Crispy Heretic, there is an ongoing effort, but things are moving slowly. ;)

my fave port is that edition of gzscoredoom where no matter what you did with the brightness/gamma/colour sliders your screen would always be slightly more gray than when you entered the menu

33 minutes ago, yakfak said:

my fave port is that edition of gzscoredoom where no matter what you did with the brightness/gamma/colour sliders your screen would always be slightly more gray than when you entered the menu

GZScoreDoom is dead. There's no chance it would be updated ever.

26 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

GZScoreDoom is dead. There's no chance it would be updated ever.

Can't ZScript achieve what GZScoreDoom was doing?

i have 8 sourceports on my computer as of this moment.

Spoiler

my first sourceport was zandronum. it was quick and easy.

after zandy kept crashing on mods, my friend lord misfit told me to switch to ZDoom.

Zdoom is leagues better than zandy for singleplayer. i learned about risen 3d shortly after that which is a doomsday-based sourceport. and i played through the first episode of doom on stream (luckily i did remember to upload that vod to my youtube channel)

and some time in there, i eventually downloaded GZdoom. but my processor was not opengl 3 compatible at the time so everything flashed in and out of existance if i played. recently i updated my computer's drivers and GZdoom works perfectly.

Zdoom was impending discontinuation any day so, misfit told me to try out QZDoom. it was nice, but my framerates would tank on stream. so for streaming purposes i stuck to Zdoom 2.8.1.

in my playthrough of doom 64, i got doom 64 ex which is a wonderful port.

some time in 2016 i started work on my first map for doom and to test compatibility, i played around with chocolate doom. i like that one a lot.

around the same time i downloaded PRboom+ but i didn't use it much until i started working on my map in dying camel's community project. also a really good port.

i think my favourite ports of the 8 are zdoom 2.8.1 and chocolate doom.
side-anecdote: i was having trouble with something in chocolate doom on stream and fraggle himself told me to update my chocolate doom. have i done that yet? i should check......

11 minutes ago, printz said:

Can't ZScript achieve what GZScoreDoom was doing?

Maybe. But there's 0% incentive to do that.

4 hours ago, Edward850 said:

I think GZDoom's main problem is more to do with it being a more "jack of all trades" thing. It's not particularly good at playing any one Doom based game (except maybe Hexen? I'm not sure how accurate its Hexen is), and coupled with its default settings, results in a comparatively distant replication. If you wanted a Doom example, its default behavior for the invisibility sphere is of Hexen, not Doom, drastically changing its gameplay.

The invisibility behavior originates in Heretic and the reason it defaults to that is, if I remember correctly, the majority opinion of forum users at the time when it was decided to restore the original. Don't forget that long ago ZDoom completely eliminated that option!

But why are you picking out ZDoom here? Playing Boom (the original) and MBF on default settings is exhibiting the same amount, if not even more of gameplay related issues. This has been standard operating procedure for ports when the source was freshly released. The main difference is that those two ports are dead and replaced by now but GZDoom still has to work with that 20 year legacy of mods for different default setups.

What are Eternity's defaults anyway? Boom or vanilla? If it's Boom, welcome to the club!

4 hours ago, Edward850 said:

I also think its Strife Veteran Edition support could be far better than it currently is.

Agreed. But I guess that's the difference between a full feature implementation and making the things work that could be made to work. If you look at the changes that were made, it was all relatively superficial, but the remaining things require far deeper investigation of the existing implementation and how to translate it to another port. At least that's what I got from the discussion when it was hot. On the other hand, does any other port out there even support Strife?

7 hours ago, Hell Theatre said:

Eternity: Two issues strike me: A) It's about features but makes absolutely no effort to run feature-rich maps made for other ports.

Possibly because those maps are....wait for it... made for other ports?

Eternity sticking to its scope is a good thing. Supporting other source ports' maps makes sense only if those maps are part of that port's history. Why would I expect Eternity to play ZDoom maps? ZDoom exists to play ZDoom maps. I wouldn't use ZDoom or GZDoom to play Eternity maps, that's absurd!

GZDoom running Legacy maps is understandable though, because Legacy at the time was not maintained and didn't work properly with modern systems, leaving a handful of maps and TCs in an unplayable state. It made more sense to tailor another source port to run Legacy maps than it was to fix Legacy to run on modern systems. Legacy also required 512 MB RAM to run something that had 1/12 the complexity of something like Action Doom. Now, should I expect Eternity to play Legacy maps too? 

7 hours ago, Hell Theatre said:

B) Of the feature centric ports it is the only one without a hardware renderer

I'll be honest with you, hardware renderers in ports these days make Doom look worse than GL Quake. Then again, GL Quake had lightmaps! Okay, okay, that's a little harsh. Strife VE has lightmaps (no really it does) so I'm shocked that a certain source port that shall not be named hasn't ripped the code yet!

Here is my top three:

1) PrBoom+, for excellent and extended demo support, I use it almost for everything, except ZDoom wads.
2) GZDoom, because some cool mods and also for wads which can not run in PrBoom+. GL renderer preferred.
3) Doom Legacy, because it's the first source port which I used back in the days, that time I learn many Doom tricks.

I choose GZDoom, not only for its modding capabilities...but because I haven't tried the other ports besides Vanilla and Zdoom. :p

Someday I need to give PRBoom+ a whirl.

all of the arguments earlier are why i'm really designating a spread of 4 engines my "favorite". there's overlap with all of them, but each one is developed into a specific niche. GZDoom is perfect for all the super complicated fancy levels with all the scripting and custom objects and whatnot, but it is no good at vanilla compat, and I'm fine with that. When its time to play the latest vanilla (or boom, really) compatible megawad, I can load up prboom+, play with complevels (relying on magic numbers for complevels is a little annoying, but its there at least). EE's niche is a bit weirder, but its still been established so far with crazy portals, which have been used in vaporware demo and mothership (I really wish I could throw in more examples here, agh), and Mordeth sounds like he's doing a pretty good job beating everything possible out of it. EE tends to also be a solid choice for some levelsets like AA since it supports a blend of MAPINFO that allows breaking the maps up into episodes without having to informally do it with death exits only. And then chocolate is there to be absolutely pedantic that any map developed will run in vanilla.

Zandronum and Crispy Doom.

Zandronum is far and away the best multiplayer port and has enough ZDoom compatibility for my needs, while Crispy Doom is great for that vanilla+ feeling without the glut of extra features and options that pr+ seems to have.

I kind of wish there was a "Crispy Boom/MBF" as a middle ground, but eh, Zandronum plays Boom WADs well enough.

Same question – same answer.

GZDoom, DOOM Retro and Zandronum.

I don't want to reiterate the reasons.

49 minutes ago, The Mysterious Moustachio said:

OP just REEEEEE'd out of here. Let's figure out how to keep track of this.

someone could make a bot that keeps track of every time a sourceport was mentioned by a different user? but, i don't know how to do so, and i don't know anyone else who does either

Well these are most (if not all) of the votes in this thread:

Chocolate Doom: YukiRaven, Agent6, DoomeroHispalense, Catpho, InsanityBringer, DMPhobos, GuyNamedErick, Bauul, EngineerKappa, zokum, The_SloVinator, joshthenesnerd, vesperas

GZDoom: Anidrex_1009, Caffeine Freak, YukiRaven, Apaul27, cyan0s1s, HAK3180, ZeroTheEro, Ajora, Aquila Chrysaetos, MFG38, Cacodemon345, Gez, Catpho, Zulk RS, InsanityBringer, DMPhobos, Killer5, SP_FACE1, DaIcemann76, SGS Man, Hell Theatre, EngineerKappa, The_SloVinator, Bridgeburner56, Fulgrim, amackert, Lizardcommando, Bauul, SOSU, riderr3, obake, Ye_Illuminator, Manuel-K

PrBoom+: Caffeine Freak, mun, GhoulDesecrator, Agent6, DoomeroHispalense, Zahid, Fonze, Catpho, Eris Falling, bonnie, GuyNamedErick, DeadAstronaut, InsanityBringer, DMPhobos, rehelekretep, Killer5, galileo31dos01, amackert, loveless, riderr3

ZDoom: Caffeine Freak, Ex Oblivione, mun, Urthar, DaIcemann76, DeadAstronaut, galileo31dos01, amackert, Lizardcommando, joshthenesnerd

GLBoom+: bonnie, GuyNamedErick, galileo31dos01, Aquila Chrysaetos

Zandronum: Catpho, Doomkid, Teder, Zulk RS, Killer5, SP_FACE1, DaIcemann76, SGS Man, Empyre, GuyNamedErick, Lorenz0, Lizardcommando, Grimosaur, Ye_Illuminator, Manuel-K

Eternity Engine: Agent6, Catpho, Jon, Edward850, Gez, InsanityBringer, SGS Man, zokum

DelphiDoom: Gez

Crispy Doom: mun, cyan0s1s, HAK3180, Killer5, Bauul, galileo31dos01, The_SloVinator, Woolie Wool, The Mysterious Moustachio,

Doomsday Engine: Caffeine Freak, YukiRaven, Ye_Illuminator

ZDaemon: Catpho, DaIcemann76

Odamex: DoomeroHispalense

3DGE: Catpho, Gez

Doom Retro: Gez, Manuel-K

Risen3D: Catpho

Chocolate Heretic: galileo31dos01

Doom2.exe: zokum

Boom: The_SloVinator

Skulltag: Lizardcommando, Ye_Illuminator

Doom Legacy: Bauul, riderr3

doom2-plus v1.9: Woolie Wool

QZDoom: Woolie Wool

You could always create a multiple-choice poll to keep track of things, and include a bigger list of source ports and make the voter names public.

23 hours ago, printz said:

Why did they choose to discontinue Heretic support? Anything from Heretic that slows down Crispy's development?

"They" probably means me here. As @Fonze already quoted, Crispy Heretic has never seen any serious development after the initial Crispy release. It is years behind in terms of features and fixes compared to Crispy Doom. The reasons are that I am mostly the only developer working on Crispy and have to arrange my limited time and that I simply have no deeper interest in the non-Doom games.

18 hours ago, esselfortium said:

@Hell Theatre

Graf, stop using your sockpuppet to talk up your own port, ya big baby

Shocking, how did you know this?

13 hours ago, AlexMax said:

I kind of wish there was a "Crispy Boom/MBF" as a middle ground, but eh, Zandronum plays Boom WADs well enough.

its called prboom+ ...

On 5/7/2018 at 12:56 AM, Edward850 said:

Curious. What GPU do you have? Doom64 Ex uses a super old OpenGL spec that AMD does not play nice with.

1803 fixes legacy mouse support, even with 7-zip. I have given you the information, at one point you will have to accept it.

Intel (R) HD Graphics. I was told last year that the Intel card was my problem, but Doom 64 EX ran just fine until the Windows Creator's Update during the spring of last year. I'm not very tech savvy with Windows 10. This was a machine with a Windows 8.1 that I upgraded to 10 and for a while it was working fine until that Creator's Update has put it a bit out of whack.