Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MTF Sergeant

Worst Ending in a videogame?

To be logical, I might say Shadow The Hedgehog. I got the game for the PS2 a couple years ago and the ending doesnt go with the story route at all.

For those who don't know, the main story levels in the game are split into sections. and the game gives you an ending depending on how you play it. But SEGA did not think twice about this game mechanism and gave us the oh-so-familiar LAST STORY section, which had the MAIN ending, and it meant that all those previous endings that you got in the game were total crap.

Hoping I see something worse, as I see comments rolling down...

This is literally the finale boss battle. 

Edited by Catpho

Don't normally care for endings in video games that much, but it seems most of the ones I've played with multiple endings were pretty good, so I'm gonna channel the rage of the Bioware fanboys and say Mass Effect 3 before the Extended Cut.

I've only seen videos of the Extended Cut, but I say it's okay.

1) Skyrim

2) every fighting game that has ever been made

3) a lot of games I've been really into have been in teh exploration vein, whether it's mapping a dungeon or a gameworld or ticking off all the research projects in X-COM. the game is usually "finished" way before you see the ending cutscene because in the process of this exploration you end up powerful and practised enough that you can trivialize a lot of what's left of the game. once I sense the game is done I either move on or, if I really liked the game, restart it and try a new tack, so im not much of an ending watcher at all.

Got another. The endings of Fallout 4, because in three of four, you only explode the Institute and it seems really cosmetic (was thinking cosmological for some reason, but I knew that couldn't be right).

That said, the Institute's ending is, I think, the best of the four because it's different. But still cosmetic.

I love RE to death, but the endings are so bad. Also, Breakdown on Xbox has two endings; one leaves on a cliffhanger intended for a sequel (which doesn't exist sadly) and the other is just like, okay... you go to another timeline and fight and I'll just chill here.

@Peggand most shoot'em up does the +newgame gameplay just to reach the last boss and say two words....

THE END

Halo 2 was another for me. It just feels bad, as the final level is an Arbiter mission and the game then ends on a cliffhanger, with that "Finishing this Fight" dialogue.

I was expecting something better when I played it the first time.

Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil, it looks like they ran out of budget and/or time and just hastily rushed to the credits ASAP.

All your variants seems logical and I will agree with them. BUT...I will not believe that there is the more SUCKIEST videogame ending than in the THIEF 2014

RAGE is pretty up there. The game doesn't even "end," really -- it just stops.

Definitely the original Ghosts N Goblins (on the NES, I mean). You go through this merciless, ugly, bad-control-infested shitfest just to get a Ghostbusters-esque ending. At least Ghostbusters wasn't AS hard as Gn'G and didn't force you to go up that staircase a second time.

Aren't we forgetting about Duke Nukem Forever, the game that never actually starts?

In terms of game that i actually finished there's a few ones that came to my mind

Jurassic park on the snes is the worst offender, i remember grabbing a magazine with all the maps for the buildings and the order of all the keys you had to get, and after 3 or so hours of trying (because the piece of shit didn't had a save feature, so you had to finish the game on one sitting), all you get it's a congratulations screen

Spoiler

Also i gotta include Bram Stoker's Dracula for the snes too, the game tried with a better ending but the final boss is such an awful lazy thing, that it really is among one of the worst

Spoiler

As for more modern game endings, i hated all of the endings of Assasins creed 1 to 3, the only ending i've ever liked from the series was 4 and by that point i gave up on the series, Fallout 3 was also another ending that i hated, just a lazy "And so our hero became legend" crap, not to mention that i soft locked my game at that point since i didn't knew the game was gonna end and not continue at that point and i left tons of sidequest unfinished

Also, an honorable mention for all of the doom games, they all had bad endings imho, not that it really mattered...

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Aren't we forgetting about Duke Nukem Forever, the game that never actually starts?

As a person who has completed the game 2 or 3 times... I can't even remember how it ends other than the joke that Duke is playing the end of the demo when the game starts. You have jogged my memory to what is in my opinion the worst game ending:

Aliens: Colonial Marines "Finish the Fight" ending that leads into paid DLC. It ends on a cliff hanger when the story felt like it was getting good after like 9 hours... then again cliffhangers are the easiest things to do, write yourself into a corner you can't get out of.

There's just one catch though... the DLC didn't "Finish the Fight" because the DLC was a prelude. Well what... the... fuck? In a way having a prelude for DLC is less insulting than having to buy DLC to finish the fight. So it was a cliffhanger into whatever sequel they wanted to make because the ending of a "cannon" Aliens game sure didn't fit into Alien 3 with the ending of Aliens: Colonial Marines.

I should also mention the final boss fight is one of the most laughably glitched boss battles against the Xenomorph queen where you can just pass right through her, taking out any element of danger. Maybe it was a glitch that I managed to somehow do on both PS3 and PC when I played it.

As for Ghosts & Goblins where it was all an illusion and you have to do it again to see the ending? I'm cool with that. Seems on par for the era. I know a lot of people hate Mario 2's it was all a dream. Others argue that the worst video game ending was Mass Effect 3 because your decisions leading up to it meant nothing. When I played it, I felt like they did from the way I played and the ending I was given.

... while I'm here I might as well talk about the movie Unthinkable with Samuel L. Jackson as the worst movie ending I've seen in a long time if not ever. Spoiler warning on a decade old movie... Since the movie was about not knowing the truth in cases of torturing prisoners for information it ended with a non ending. The watcher would never know the truth or even what happens to end it.

Edited by geo

RAGE, though not necessarily due to the ending itself.  This one gets "worst ending" from me for the fact that the game just... Ends.

Just now, Liberation said:

System shock 2. Considering how good the game was, the ending was totally lame.

Just now, Ajora said:

System Shock 2, and it's not even close. 

I've heard that the guy in charge of the story wanted to do something else but it wasn't possible due to technical restrictions, or something along those lines.

Hotline Miami 2.

Oh, the story is going great, a lot of things can be done with the setting and the franchise and the gameplay, I simply wonder how it would all wrap up---

Devs literally dropped a nuke and killed everyone. THE END.

I mean, there was a lot of foreshadowing done in the game with regards to this ending, but it still chipped off the fanbase, because it was literally the cheapest ending anyone could ever pull.

At least the fans continued making campaigns with the stuff devs gave. I didn't get to play any of them yet but I guess a lot of stories and gameplay mechanics are being explored as we speak :)

If we are talking about older games, I think Shadow of the Beast deserves a place here. I love that game, but I can imagine someone going through the game without cheats and beating it after a shit ton of tries, only to see this screen (I think the particular pic is from the Mega Drive, instead of the Amiga):

Spoiler

download.jpg.ea70ed39c13f8f4570d8ce03a0718b32.jpg

I also didn't like Fallout 3's ending. Of course I was going to play it heroic knight and sacrifice myself for the greater good, but I wanted to keep roaming and none of the endings lets you do that, iirc.

But you can buy the DLC where you continue from where you left and the player is somehow alive, after eating up God knows how much radiation in the face...

SERIOUSLY??? This totally enhances the experience and is not by any means a way to grab my cash for no reason... (in the end I decided to not buy the DLC, because, what where they thinking???)

To be honest, I though I would have played more games with bad endings, but I can't remember anything else right now, so I am kinda happy.

For a JRPG, I'll go with The 7th Saga

Spoiler

All that hard work and your character still gets killed by the final boss even though you beat him. And reincarnated into the new Lemele, like really, what was this about?

3 hours ago, Liberation said:

System shock 2. Considering how good the game was, the ending was totally lame.

Nah

The absolute worst ending is still Command and Conquer 4