Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am sorry to hear that you are leaving us, mr. Kesler! Along with people like Richard Wiles and Malcolm Sailor you were one of the principal inspirations to me back when I was new a level designing. I will miss you and not just for nostalgic reasons; your new level looked very promising!

Like Brad said, I also hope that you will one day disregard the feeling of age weighing in on you and fire up DoomBuilder again. I can understand why losing all your stuff could be very discouraging but I really think you should give it another chance in the future. And if not, then I wishh all the best to you!

I am also sorry to hear of your departure, Mr. Kesler. In common with many OG Doomers, I found your works to be very inspirational, and I am sure it was one of your maps where I first saw a conveyor belt in action.

It sounds like you have had a wrenching experience with the loss of so many belongings. You have my deepest sympathy. In common with Vorpal, I hold out hope that you will yet return, and I echo his advice to do simpler mapping projects. And one is never too old. Look at me, at the ripe old age of 61, mapping since 1996 and yet I still have so much to do, I feel like I'm just getting started.

While I'd love to see you return, if life takes you on a different journey, I hope you find joy and happiness.

So many good memories from this game, and editing. I really wish I had the time to spend on making a map or two! I so miss this game and editing. The creative side of me isnt dead, just overwhelmed with other issues in life.

I have a 16 year old boy that wants to be involved in gaming. He is a huge Fortnite nut, and he thinks he wants to edit and create games. Its not the same world it was back in the late 90's when I started making maps. Any tips for him would be greatly appreciated. Whats the best game to get him into editing? Is there still a good following for DooM maps? 

3 hours ago, kdoom said:

Is there still a good following for DooM maps?

Well yeah, this website is still alive after all. And Doom mapping, being rather simple compared to more modern games, is a good stepping stone. You can experiment with all aspects of content creation (levels, but also graphics, sounds, etc. because the lo-fi aesthetics make it much easier to get acceptable results) and see where your skills are. Then you can move on to more complex games -- maybe level design in Quake with TrenchBroom to get used to 3D design or something? And then take the Unity Engine and try to make your own game.

For learning to create content (assets, mechanisms, etc) for more modern games, I would quite seriously look at Dreams on PlayStation, as the stuff people manage to create in there is utterly mindblowing. That said, Doom remains a very valuable sandbox for creativity with a low threshold to get started.

Welcome back, Kesler! Hope you stay for a while :) There is indeed still a good following for Doom maps. We've had quite the flood of new, aspiring mappers and modders after the release of Doom Eternal, so yes, we're still very much alive!

If I were you, I'd give your boy a heavy dose of nostalgia while at the same time bringing him and you up to speed with happenings in here on Doomworld. And how? Glad you asked! @Endless and his cult following are producing magazines for us of pure awesomeness! Check them out here.

3 hours ago, Chris Hansen said:

Welcome back, Kesler! Hope you stay for a while :) There is indeed still a good following for Doom maps. We've had quite the flood of new, aspiring mappers and modders after the release of Doom Eternal, so yes, we're still very much alive!

If I were you, I'd give your boy a heavy dose of nostalgia while at the same time bringing him and you up to speed with happenings in here on Doomworld. And how? Glad you asked! @Endless and his cult following are producing magazines for us of pure awesomeness! Check them out here.

And now is the best time to get back into the Doom train! We are also introducing our own branch of awards focused on the literary aspect of the Doom community. Don't forget to check out our latests issues too! :D Welcome back, mate. Is a good day/year to be a Doomer.

Not dead....not giving up. I did of course, lose all of this map I had started, as well as the textures, and the hard drive it was all on. I also no longer have my old trusty photoshop6...thank God for gimp. I have a nice laptop now, connected to my 55 inch 4k tv. All I need now, is to start building. I have the urge to use the communities work as my start. I want to build maps for freedom, that run in gzdoom.

I know, I know...I come and go every few years LOL. I just cannot get editing out of my head. I think I have the time now, and I will start with small maps, just so I can actually finish something. I love this community, I started with it in 1994, and finished with my first release to public in 1998. Now it's 2023, I'm going on 51 years old....and damnit I want to make a new DooM map!!

So....freedom and gzdoom. Will it be a good combo?

1 hour ago, Catpho said:

Hey, welcome back... back :D Pretty fine combo if you ask me!

well thank you. Maybe I'll actually finish something this time.

Hi ! (and welcome back)

Just keep in mind to make back-ups sometimes.. 

Cheers and good luck

Things are going well. I've found one small issue that I'm not sure how to fix. Within UDB, when I for example use sector mode, and highlight a sector, I saw the details of that sector at the bottom of the screen. The flats were shown in thumbnail, as well as floor and ceiling heights. I seem to have broken that feature, and for the life of me, I cannot figure out what I did. Any ideas?

There should be a button with a blue triangle pointing up in the bottom right corner of the window. There's also a hotkey for that, but I'm not sure what's the default keybind for it, maybe tilde?

On 2/20/2023 at 4:09 AM, boris said:

There should be a button with a blue triangle pointing up in the bottom right corner of the window. There's also a hotkey for that, but I'm not sure what's the default keybind for it, maybe tilde?

You are correct, tilde turns this on and off. Thank you for the help!

I extracted the texture set I made for my kmega wad. Several quake1 textures, and a few doom edits too. 

Decided to just make a new texture set from scratch. I'll post some screenies once I have my main textures working.

Hey kdoom, just wanted to let you know that I absolutely loved your maps you've done before in the Kmega1 series, speaking of that I got to know about you after i played the chillax megawad which, unknowingly, used some of your maps retextured and filled to the brim with monsters. An example of this is chillax's map 24 which is just retextured map 18 from your Kmega1 mapset.

Spoiler

9 hours ago, Grassy chunks said:

Hey kdoom, just wanted to let you know that I absolutely loved your maps you've done before in the Kmega1 series, speaking of that I got to know about you after i played the chillax megawad which, unknowingly, used some of your maps retextured and filled to the brim with monsters. An example of this is chillax's map 24 which is just retextured map 18 from your Kmega1 mapset.

Reveal hidden contents

Never heard of chillax. Cool that my old maps were able to be reused.

Looking at doom model packs. I like a set I found, despite them looking aged.

I like seeing 3d monsters in my map. I am curious if it's a no-no to add the model pack to my map assets? This map will only run on gzdoom anyway....and it has very little sector lighting. It's loaded with light ents. It also uses textures that are a bit larger than normal. I guess it'll only be good for doomers that can run gzdoom with all the pretty stuff on.

I would love to hear opinions on this subject, despite myself not being a mapper to stick to traditional gameplay and looks.

Well, typical to my style, I have started 4 maps at this point. I made a new set of textures, and this latest map i might finish. This will only run and look correct in Gzdoom. Here are a few screenies - 

Edited by kdoom

Quick update just so you know I'm not vanishing again... This is a new texture set inspired by and in some cases, including, doom2 textures. 

This is yet another new-ish map I've started.

kgzdoom1_ss1.jpg

kgzdoom1_ss2.jpg

kgzdoom1_ss3.jpg

17 minutes ago, kdoom said:

Quick update just so you know I'm not vanishing again... This is a new texture set inspired by and in some cases, including, doom2 textures. 

This is yet another new-ish map I've started.

These teal/aquas are sick!

Keep up the great work!

:-)

Starting on the outdoors area, and adding in gameplay. Progress is going well, now that I have my textures done.

kgzdoom1_ss4.jpg

Can someone please give me a simple example of how to use animdefs to add a new switch texture? I have a directory of new resources already, so I assume I just create an animdefs.txt in my mods root directory?

7 minutes ago, kdoom said:

Can someone please give me a simple example of how to use animdefs to add a new switch texture? I have a directory of new resources already, so I assume I just create an animdefs.txt in my mods root directory?

switch 3SWGS0 on sound dsswtchn pic 3SWGS1 tics 0

~ this works for me

10 hours ago, prfunky said:

switch 3SWGS0 on sound dsswtchn pic 3SWGS1 tics 0

~ this works for me

Thank you! I assume I can place the animdefs as a text file in the root directory of my map? Where does the engine look for the textures referenced in the animdefs? I have a /textures directory already in use, as well as the directories for brightmaps that auto-load.

I honestly did look for this info before asking....I just didn't quite understand what I found.

2 hours ago, kdoom said:

Thank you! I assume I can place the animdefs as a text file in the root directory of my map? Where does the engine look for the textures referenced in the animdefs? I have a /textures directory already in use, as well as the directories for brightmaps that auto-load.

I honestly did look for this info before asking....I just didn't quite understand what I found.

I'm sorry, I don't do pk3 directory-type resources. The textures, in my case here,

3SWGS0 and 3SWGS1, are in between my PP_START and PP_END entries in my WAD

file. I'm assuming that you can do as you've outlined above, the switch textures are in

the /textures directory and the ANIMDEFS would be in the root, wherever you keep a

DECORATE, SNDINFO or MAPINFO lump as well.