Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I don't know if there's an alternative way to achieve the desired effect you want, but like you suggested, using a second 3d floor as the hand rail works well

HYXcVGB.jpg

2 hours ago, kdoom said:

Not finding info on this LITTLE issue. I have a 3d floor, can I not place a 2 sided texture on it as a hand rail? I'm thinking it'll have to be a second 3d floor for the rail?

https://imgur.com/a/tCQkYl8

You can use a midtexture with a vertical offset. The "3D midtexture" flag should make it solid (can move above or below it, but not through the part where the texture is drawn).

However, building a handrail out of 3D floors is also a possibility, and it'll look more "high-res" than a paper-thin midtexture. (Whether that's good or not depends entirely on the aesthetic you want.)

With UDMF, a single sector can have several tags, which is also useful for dealing with complex 3D floor structures: the sides of the bridge can have both tag 1 for the 3D floor itself and tag 2 for the handrails, while the center of the bridge will only have tag 1. This kind of things.

Awesome, welcome back!!

I'm a big fan of your work, kmetl_9.wad is forever etched in my memory and I probably draw more inspiration from your work than I should admit. 😜

I appreciate that Deathevokation, I hope I can live up to your expectations. It'll probably take me a few months, maybe more, before I finish my first map. I dont have the free time I used to, and I'm learning a new editor as I go. Fun stuff, but time consuming!

Not finding proper docs on implementing a simple spotlight. I need to control the lights more than just generic dynamic lights. Anyone have an example, or a link to some docs? All I seem to find when searching for this, is talk about flashlights.

I assume you mean actual spotlights, of thing type 9840 and the like. Indeed there doesn't seem to be any documenation for them in the wiki. What exactly do you want to know? They are pretty straightforward to use. You can control the up/down direction they are pointing in with the "pitch" property (like a pitch of 90 for it to point straight down). The color is a integer representation of the RGB value, i.e. full red would be 16711680 (ff0000), full green 65280 (00ff00), and full blue 255 (0000ff).

In the editor they appear to work, but when I test run in GZDoom, I get a red marker with a ! on it. I assumed there was some extra step I'm missing

6 minutes ago, kdoom said:

In the editor they appear to work, but when I test run in GZDoom, I get a red marker with a ! on it. I assumed there was some extra step I'm missing

The red marker appears on unknown things, perhaps you're using an older version? i did a quick test on 3.3.1 and they showed up just fine

So...adding new textures. Slade, or deutex? I see Deutex has been updated over the years. Slade looks to do a whole lot more than just patch/texture/flats editing. Which one is the more popular to just add a few new textures?

Also, are we still stuck with a max of 512x128 texture sizes? A few years ago, in the wonderful community of Tesseract, I made a fair many textures, most of which are 512x512, and include normalmaps, heightmaps, specmaps, etc. If it's possible without butchering these, I wouldn't mind to make a texture wad with them. I'm not sure I would use all 4 layers, but I could do some quick edits to them, to make each a single file texture. This stuff was all made for a project that died without ever seeing the light of day.

Really doubt the tree models could be done in GZDoom, they are very high polycounts. But the textures I could probably make work. The rock and terrain textures are all 2048x2048, so I suspect some shrinking would have to take place.

Thoughts?

Edited by kdoom : Clear space

SLADE or Deutex? If you're doing stuff for GZDoom: neither ;) Use 7-zip: https://zdoom.org/wiki/Using_ZIPs_as_WAD_replacement [edit] Note: for development you don't need the create the .7z file, you can just create the required directory structure on your disk and tell GZDB to load the resources from that.

Texture size: AFAIK it's only limited by the user's hardware. So on moderately modern hardware 512x512 shouldn't be a problem.

Fancy textures: check out https://zdoom.org/wiki/GLDEFS#Materials

Edited by boris

On top of what @boris said, luckily for you GZDoom got an update recently that added support for PBR textures meaning material maps like normal/bump maps and specular are supported :) So you shouldn't have to throw away that stuff. Assuming you are making your map in UDMF of course

Slade is most people's WAD editor of choice these days, but as the posters above me have said, GZDoom fully supports PK3s, so you almost just need 7-Zip. GZDoomBuilder even supports directories, so you can place all your custom textures and assets just in a folder structure that matches a pk3's and run from that. The only thing that has to be in a WAD file is the map itself, but GZDB takes care of that. Be warned though, pk3s can feel very un-Doom-like. You don't even need a TEXTURES lump. It's weird and scary!

Regarding those textures: the limit is purely down to the RAM on your (and anyone who loads the map)'s device. I've gotten 4096*4096 textures into GZDoom fine. If you're using UDMF you can scale them down easily in-game. The only real thing you need to worry about is size. Some of those big textures can get pretty huge!

NICE! Thanks for that info. I'll definitely enjoy using custom textures if I dont have to deal with patches, lumps, etc. Thats really sweet!

I'll probably steer away from the 1024 and larger. I'll stick to 512x512. It's plenty large for doom mapping, and it shouldn't impact people with less video ram. I'm running an old GTX960 with 4gb. I consider this at the lower end of GPU power these days, so if I can run whatever I brew up, I shoudl be good to go.

So I made a directory as follows, C:\Doom\textures. Placed my textures in there in .png format. Then I go to DB and set it up like this?

I'm not getting the textures in the editor though. 

Edited by kdoom : double screenies

Ok, that set of textures just doesn't fit right into doom. They are all way to large, and high res anyway. I would have to do way too much work/time to make them work.

I've begun making a new set just for this map, using original Doom patches, resized, and added detailing. Coming out well, but now that I've started, it's snowballing into a much bigger project. These textures are just diffuse, no bump, or specs, but they look fairly nice. I'll post some screenies in a couple days.

The map is still VERY far from complete, but now I'm stuck in texture editing mode. I have a few of the main textures I plan to use done - 

These are 512x512 for the wall stuff, and various sizes for the metal trims and computer consoles. Still contemplating using normals, specs, etc. They already look a lot better than normal textures, probably due to the resolution. Some textures are based off original Doom stuff, but some I've just created from scratch. More to come.

Hope someone can help me here. I'm tinkering with using normal maps, but when I try, all I get in-game is the diffuse. I've set up a dir structure, added a GLDEFS lump, then added :

material texture KBRICK01
{
    normal "materials/kbrick01_n.png"
}

Any tips? I've been through the zdoom forum topic "Materials (PBR, Specular, Normal maps)" and I dont see what I'm doing wrong.

I figured it out, but I'm not using this. The current type of lighting makes it hard to even see the feature, unless the light ents are at just the proper angle, or is a moving light. I'll still use the high res textures, just no pbr.

Working on some terrain textures now. I never could make a map without some outdoor scenery. I whipped up the Rock and ground textures this morning at 1024x. The rocks started life as a photo of tree bark :P

I need a new sky, but never been good at making them. Any good stuff out there I could use?

So I define the sky images in GLDEFS. I'm curious though, if I name the sky F_SKY1 in GLDEFS, shouldn't it work?

Sorry for the dumb question, but every time I search out any discussion of this, it's images of editing in slade, where the lumps are all in the wad already. I think my issue is, I'm just editing from a directory structure ( which will become a .pk3 in the end ).

I'm using a directory named kmetl2018, within this dir is the GLDEFS, the maps dir ( where the .wad is ), and another directory named textures

Heres what my GLDEFS has for the sky -

Skybox F_SKY1
{
  textures/highlandspring_n.png
  textures/highlandspring_e.png
  textures/highlandspring_s.png
  textures/highlandspring_w.png
  textures/highlandspring_t.png
  textures/highlandspring_b.png
}

I would have thought this sky would just take the place of F_SKY1...but it's not working. I'm really curious why not?

Ok, I figured it out.

Edited by kdoom

Well, after some time in doom builder, I'm loving it! This editor is very cool. I think what makes it so fun, is how all the engines features are right there. The only thing I have a hard time with, is keeping my floor textures aligned. I keep accidentally pressing A in the 3d viewer. I also had an issue with some sectors changing numbers after I merged some vertex, but I think I caused that myself...that was a little tricky to get fixed.

I'm a little nervous about my liberal use of dynamic light ents, but I'll just keep going and see what becomes of the maps performance.

I ended up replacing most of the tweaked doom textures with custom versions I'm making as I go. I just couldnt get some of them to look good when used up against the new textures I made. These custom versions of the old doom textures are 4x the res, but do still somewhat resemble their ancient counterparts.

So happy to hear that you're progressing well with the level and that you're liking DB! :) And I think I can speak for more of us when I say that you're always welcome to send the pwad for some testing with regards to see what kind of performance we're getting with it.