Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Kevin

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice Poll)

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice)  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite source port?

Eternity, PrBoom + would be second due to speed running. Yes, there has been a huge amount of threads on the subject, I can feel the heat of Quasar's rage through my tablet. :P

Springy said:

I can feel the heat of Quasar's rage through my tablet. :P

But no really, you guys are making me like them a little bit more ;)

TendaMonsta said:

Eternity Engine.

Has advanced features while containing compatibility with Vanilla Doom unlike Zdoom and it's cousins.

You seem to confuse the meaning of the word 'compatibility'.

Quasar said:

But no really, you guys are making me like them a little bit more ;)

Jesus, now I know why you said you hated threads like this. I knew it would be a point of discussion for some doomers, but holy shit that's a lot of threads.

On topic: Odamex, Zandronum, Zdaemon, Doom Legacy + IDE for multiplayer. DOSbox with Doom2.EXE or the latest ZDoom for single player.

Maybe there should be a new sticky for people wanting to make threads like this - seriously. Make a new thread and copy Gez' post. Problem solved.

Chu said:

Maybe there should be a new sticky for people wanting to make threads like this - seriously. Make a new thread and copy Gez' post. Problem solved.

Actually that's not a bad idea...

Graf Zahl said:

You seem to confuse the meaning of the word 'compatibility'.

What do you mean? I don't think I'm confusing the word?

Chu said:

I have proposed it since time immemorial -that, and a sticky about people trying to run OpenGL/Direct3D ports on Intel GMA graphics ;-)

And also one for hi-res sprites, sprite remakes etc., as those always end up reinventing the wheel and messing with a task that's too monumental to undertake -and very easy to get wrong.

TendaMonsta said:

What do you mean? I don't think I'm confusing the word?

Sure you do. 'Compatibility' does not mean that something works precisely like some other thing.

If you say that ZDoom is not 100% faithful to Doom.exe, yes, that's correct, but saying that ZDoom is not 'vanilla-compatible' ist just complete nonsense as it properly works with any map that doesn't abuse some really, really dirty tricks, and those are exceedingly rare. That behavior is not 100% identical is beyond the point here.

As an example of a port that's not fully compatible, let's have a look at older Legacy versions that removed voodoo doll support which actually broke several levels.

Graf Zahl said:

That behavior is not 100% identical is beyond the point here.

I don't think he means compatible in that sense, of course it can run content designed for the vanilla engine. I think he meant demo-compatible, in which case ZDoom and the like isn't.

I would think he is referring to things like demo playback of original demos as well.

Though on the note of ZDoom compatibility, it was frustrating years ago having some levels just not work without playing with compat flags (AV maps 07 and 15 come to mind).

It works, just sometimes not on default settings. A MAPINFO lump with the right flags is a good idea these days if a vanilla/boom map is made that is susceptible to issues without the right flags set.

I do remember reading a really silly review for Alien Vendetta calling it broken on those two maps.. lol.

Sodaholic said:

I don't think he means compatible in that sense, of course it can run content designed for the vanilla engine. I think he meant demo-compatible, in which case ZDoom and the like isn't.

Here's the problem: Please say what you mean and do not use too broad terms... :P

Sodaholic said:

I think he meant demo-compatible, in which case ZDoom and the like isn't.

This and I really wouldn't play any vanilla wad with Zdoom (anymore that is) since it just doesn't have that feel that source ports like Prboom-plus, Eternity, and Chocolate Doom have.

TendaMonsta said:

This and I really wouldn't play any vanilla wad with Zdoom (anymore that is) since it just doesn't have that feel that source ports like Prboom-plus, Eternity, and Chocolate Doom have.

Unless you're talking about the framerate, I don't really understand what you mean about 'feel'.

MochaDoom, because it's fun to change random things in the code, click the "Run" button, and get it recompiled and running in a couple seconds.

Hey guys! Can you recommend a good open-source Doom/HeXen/Heretic Source Port which has a good license that allows any fork to be distributed without the modified source code? I would also appreciate it if it's extensively documented. :)

Thanks in advance!

kairunotabi said:

Hey guys! Can you recommend a good open-source Doom/HeXen/Heretic Source Port which has a good license that allows any fork to be distributed without the modified source code?

Thanks in advance!

I don't think such a thing exists, as the original engine was GPLed and all source ports are derived from it.

The original licenses for all the games were not under the GPL, but a non-commercial license that didn't require you to release the source. I don't know how that works now, whether you can still use the source under that license or not. Obviously a project that had started with that license can't be forced to switch to the GPL if it's incompatible, but I don't know what that means for new projects.

Your question is somewhat in conflict. The original Doom source release was under a license that was not open source, but does permit binary-only distributions. ZDoom and its derivatives are partially under this and many others (arguably illegally so).

The GPL re-licensing of the engine, however, is open source, but it's a copyleft license that ensures that source code access is always available.

Theoretically it's possible for someone to do a fully clean-room reimplementation of the engines and license under a liberal license (like the BSD license), which would comply your original request. But such an effort is huge and I don't think it's ever been done :)

There is no source port in existence that does not at least partially use licenses that require a source release - even ZDoom contains some LGPL portions that make it impossible to release a modified binary without source.

You also won't get any help from the devs in trying to help you. ZDoom would happily switch over to GPL it it wasn't for some external code it relies on and can't be replaced with a free equivalent.

You want extensively documented source code, with a license that lets you exploit it commercially, while giving nothing back? Thats a rather an insulting request to be frank. And whats worse, you can't even be bothered to look for it yourself.

DaniJ said:

You want extensively documented source code, with a license that lets you exploit it commercially, while giving nothing back? Thats a rather an insulting request to be frank. And whats worse, you can't even be bothered to look for it yourself.

Exactly what I thought. And that sould be a "good license". And then the source should also be extensively documented. Good luck with this attitude...

kairunotabi said:

allows any fork to be distributed without the modified source code?

Please don't do this. It's really antisocial and disrespectful to all the other Doom source hackers who have put a lot time and effort into developing their source ports.

It's not so much to ask that you just play fair and share your changes like the rest of us have.

What source port do you prefer for playing single player Doom?

It looks like the major contenders are --

-Chocolate Doom
-Doomsday
-Doom Legacy
-EDGE
-Eternity
-GZDoom
-Odamex
-PrBoom+
-ReMooD
-Risen3D
-Vavoom
-Zandronum
-ZDaemon
-ZDoom

Which source port would you recommend to someone new to Doom?

It depends a lot on what I'm playing:

Doom, Doom II, HacX, Chex: vanilla, Chocolate Doom, PrBoom+ (mainly because of demos, gameplay options, etc., while keeping that "classic" feeling); I use G/ZDoom, 3DGE, Legacy, etc. just for wads and/or mods that require it. The one I use more often is PrBoom+, or vanilla if I'm in my very old Doom-exclusive laptop (where I can play them the old way - DOS!).

Heretic: mostly vanilla, sometimes ZDoom

Hexen, Strife: GZDoom most of the time.

This is the right way. Everything else is wrong.

Chocolate Doom for everything I can.

Zdoom for everything else I can't

GZDoom where required for particular maps. (eg winter's fury.)

Have never been able to make PRBoom work on my system.