Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Kevin

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice Poll)

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice)  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite source port?

GZDoom for limit-removing WADs, but for playing the IWADs or anything that doesn't use limit-removing, I prefer not to use a source port at all.

On 9/25/2022 at 3:32 AM, Metal_Slayer said:

Well, I just thought that what you said was stupid,

Still needlessly insulting me I see.

i dont normally use it (but i have recently!). i'm going to give a shoutout to doom32.exe and udoom32.exe for ms-dos in this week's source port thread because i feel morally obligated to!

GZDoom for sure. I enjoy the extra bells and whistles! Shadows are cool! I like the post processing!

I have used Chocolate Doom for the occasional foray into Vanillaville for the experience of it, though.

5 hours ago, Metal_Slayer said:

Criticizing an argument =/= Insulting.

Criticizing an argument by calling it stupid = stupid.

Obviously freelook without auto-aim gives the player more control over where their bullets will go. There was nothing stupid about Razza stating that objective fact. The only stupid remark in the whole exchange was made by you, ironically:

needing to admit you don't know how to play without it

Weird assumptions about what he "needs to admit" as a Doom player? WTF.. No need to be so confrontational!

I use GZDoom for anything that will run on it, which conveniently is almost everything, from super basic Doom maps to entirely new games built using it as a base engine.

That being said, I'm certainly not opposed to using other ports when needed. Zandronum primarily for multiplayer, GLBoom+ for Nuts III (too many enemies for GZDoom), and Eviternity for, of course, Heartland. These are all fine ports, and have their place, I just don't find any reason to use them personally over GZDoom, when possible.

On 9/23/2022 at 12:33 AM, RHhe82 said:

If there was a map I really wanted to play, a map that doesn’t run in PrBoom/DSDA, I’d switch port to play it. (That said, I still haven’t played Heartland because I can’t get Eternity to ’feel right’). What I mean to say, I don’t think choosing source port based on popularity is necessarily the best choice.

Good luck getting it running how you like! It's worth putting the effort in, I just recently played Heartland, and it was awesome!

On 9/22/2022 at 9:08 PM, fai1025 said:

yeah what source port do you guys normally use

btw, I ask the same question on r/Doom on reddit, it's only been 2 days but i think the result is pretty obvious

Hide contents

QrCKZim.png

You're on r/doom. They only picked ZDoom because it's the first choice, they don't actually know what a source port is. The 31 people who picked "official ports" thought you were referring to DOOM Eternal, and the 9 who picked "something else" are wondering why DOOM Eternal isn't an option. ETERNity got 6 votes for obvious reasons.

I use dsda-doom nowadays for vanilla/boom-compatible maps and GZDoom for total conversions, gameplay tweaks etc. that cannot be played on anything else.

On 9/23/2022 at 4:33 PM, RHhe82 said:

That said, I still haven’t played Heartland because I can’t get Eternity to ’feel right

What feels wrong?

Zandronum.
Because I design deathmatch levels and ZDaemon became unstable for me

from ver 1.10 onwards. Didn't used to think highly of Odamex but then got

version 0.95 running on my Linux (main) machine and I liked it. But, then all

the servers got updated to version 10.1 and some kind soul helped me for

over half an hour get it compiled/linked/whatever on my Linux box. Now, it's

broken again because the servers updated to 10.2 last month. I tried to follow

all the same procedures from my bash history but it doesn't work. I leave it

broken and stop giving a sh*t.

I used to use ZDoom for testing as well as for running single-player maps.

Obvs, this meant I eventually upgraded to GZDoom. But I don't like living

there ~ runs like crap on my ancient hardware that I'm NOT going to upgrade

because I'm just NOT made of money and my RAIC (redundant array of

inexpensive computers) is fine for everything I need to do.

But then there was LZDoom, which is like ZDoom again without all the

resource hoggin' stuff in GZ and life is good. I'm really happy that this port

still gets updated by Dr.Frag?
So, Zandronum like 9-something percent of the time and LZDoom a little bit

and once in a while dabble with the other candidates like Crispy or Odamex.

cuckooFull.png

On 9/28/2022 at 12:18 AM, Edward850 said:

What feels wrong?

Movement. It's a subtle thing; could be just that the sensitivities are off, but it also feels like there's something else too at play. Like there's slightly less friction than I'm used to. Something.

18 minutes ago, RHhe82 said:

Movement. It's a subtle thing; could be just that the sensitivities are off, but it also feels like there's something else too at play. Like there's slightly less friction than I'm used to. Something.

Well friction or player movement isn't different at all in Eternity, and you can verify this easily via its demo compatibility. If they were different, demos wouldn't be able to play at all. So whatever you're feeling, it's not actually there and it's provable with pure math and observation.

Now if you were talking about the mouse, that can feel different yes because every port has different ways of interpreting the values. As such you'll find there are options to fine tune this in the mouse options, such as a vanilla sensitivity mode, and different acceleration profiles (off, linear, Chocolate and custom).

Edited by Edward850

4 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Well friction or player movement isn't different at all in Eternity, and you can verify this easily via its demo compatibility. If they were different, demos wouldn't be able to play in sync at all. So whatever you're feeling, it's not actually there and it's provable with pure math.

I'm certain I'm not imagining things, but that gives hope the problem can be solved. Basically it's got to be a sensitivity thing or some other (mouse) setting. But the difference is there, I just (once again) tried DSDA and Eternity and I'm definitely fumbling more in Eternity.

If I have horizontal/vertical/mouselook/acceleration -setting 59/52/100/0 in DSDA, how do I convert them to Eternity? I remember PrBoom having different scale, so a re-conversion might do it for horiz/vert setting.

I couldn't tell you how the mouse scales work. All I can suggest is playing around with the settings until you get what you expect.

It might also be something related to input latency, some resolutions with certain video options that your monitor doesn't like could be causing it.

17 minutes ago, Metal_Slayer said:

It might also be something related to input latency, some resolutions with certain video options that your monitor doesn't like could be causing it.

You know, that actually did the trick! Sensitivities might still require finetuning, but when I lowered the resolution (down from what I use in DSDA, curiously) the uncomfortable wonkiness seemed to disappear.

Chocolate for testing, GZDoom for everything else. (Including vanilla emulation using Screem Pal color palatte and the Vanilla Essence Addon.)

I should try Retro Doom or crispy, or some of these really cool new ports, but I have just gotten really comfortable with my Dooming 'routine' now.

GZDoom for its amazing modding capabilities, though I've been using DSDA-Doom a lot lately. It's a very "comfy" port with less framerate drops than GZDoom on my aging laptop. I might make DSDA-Doom my primary port because of how comfy it is.

For multiplayer I prefer Zandronum.

Crispy doom and doom unity for vanilla style wads. When play total conversions like ashes then obviously gzdoom. Woof when I when I play boom or mbf wads.

DSDA-Doom since v0.21.3 (now on v0.24.2). Figured that it's much easier to record demos with, its timer gives readings to a hundredth of a second,  I can play around a bit more with the config file, has very comfy functions for file sorting, no desync issues, and also compatible with Boom/MBF, so I can use it with basically everything single player besides Z/GZ/unique stuff, latter which doesn't interest me too much anyways. Sadly the software renderer still input laggy compared to OpenGL, so OpenGL/Shaders it is, buhuhu. I miss Crispy 5.8.0's responsiveness in software mode, or it's sound effect for toggling vertical mouse movement though.

For multiplayer, it has to be Odamex. That's the most vanilla feel out of the big three, and the mouse handling is more direct than in ZDaemon or Zandronum imo.

While it's pretty cool/impressive from a technological viewpoint, I only go for GZDoom, if it's mandatory (so almost never), but tried multiple versions of most relatively known ports since ~WinMBF as well, and if something completely new/some update comes out for a prioritized one, I usually check it briefly, cos reasons.

Edited by Fluuschoen

GZDoom coz I'm lazy. I have prboom+ and glboom+ shortcuts on my desktop, but I hardly ever use them.

I just like to play casually and I am not bothered about vanilla/authenticity; heathen that I am.