Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Kevin

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice Poll)

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice)  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite source port?

iori said:

This is just a vicious circle isnt it? Yelling gets to a point, thread adds to the posthell count, a new one gets created by some unsuspecting person, and the same ordeal happens all over again. Please keep it in perspective, guys. I dont care how much you hate each other or disagree with each others opinions, but this we are trying for educated discussion here, so please cool it.

This guy isn't interested in civilized discussion. Each and every time he participates in a discussion the thread derails sooner or later. On the ZDoom forums it has happened several times. The sad thing is that he only stops when he manages to drive a thread into total chaos.
I think he experiences a perverse kind of pleasure from doing this.

lol then you could just ingnore him (harder than it sounds, i know), then he'll be talking at nothing.

iori said:

lol then you could just ingnore him (harder than it sounds, i know), then he'll be talking at nothing.

I don't talk TO him anymore, just ABOUT him. I know from past experiences with him that it is utterly pointless to try to talk some sense into him. He doesn't listen anyway.

Graf Zahl said:

I know from past experiences with him that it is utterly pointless to try to talk some sense into him. He doesn't listen anyway.

Hmmmm... why does that remind me of you Graf?

Graf Zahl said:

I don't talk TO him anymore, just ABOUT him. I know from past
experiences with him that it is utterly pointless to try to talk some sense into him. He doesn't listen anyway.

I love it. Couldn't be farther from the truth - regards me anyway. Criticism cuts 2 ways. I can take it, can you?

Here's a challenge: I'll gladly discuss any issue you think I'm incorrect about Graf - If you think you can carry on a civil discussion without resorting to rants and name calling. The issue will be resolved mostly on objective merits or reliance on accepted terminology.

I've clearly explained the differences between definitions and scripting. IOW it should be obvious to anyone that what you claimed is not true. It was an objective description without calling anyone an "idiot" etc (except of course quoting you to illustrate petty name calling skills).

If you have anything to dispute my post facts say it or just shut up:)

It's preferable to have accurate facts when discussing ports to avoid false information being spread. There's enough of that now even on new web sites. Let's learn how the various ports attempt to give flexibility - that's how maybe someday some of the various methods can be consolidated so everyone doesn't have to learn new rules for every single port.

FireBastard said:

Here's a challenge: I'll gladly discuss any issue you think I'm incorrect about Graf - If you think you can carry on a civil discussion without resorting to rants and name calling. The issue will be resolved mostly on objective merits or reliance on accepted terminology.

Well that's a retarded thing to say.

I've tried several source mods. I'm going with jDoom since I've had the least complaints with it. When I run Doom Legacy, some of the textures on the levels are missing (I've tried using ZenNode to fix it, but can't since I'm a noob at computers). ZDoom doesn't have OpenGL support (I've tried using ZDoomGL and my monitor keeps giving me an error message saying "Mode Not Supported"). VaVoom just doesn't impress me. I can't get Risen3D to run due to fact every time I click on an IWAD, it tells me I have encountered an error and need to shut down, follwed by asking me to send an error report or not.

jDoom gets my pick. The only complaints I have though are that it doesn't have bots for co-op or deathmatch and that it doesn't have Boom or 3D effects like Doom Legacy has. Other than that I think jDoom is great.

1st pick - doom2.exe - when wadfiles have no VPOs and nasty incompatibilities

2nd - prBoom - for its great compatibility with vanilla doom, plays pretty much like original game, only one problem => impossible to save games in v1.9 compatibility

3rd - Doom Legacy - easy to set up and start wads, lots of cool options, very customizable and play pretty much like vanilla doom.

4th - Doomsday/JDoom - for fancy looking stuff only, rarely use it anyway

5th - ZDoom - for zDoom only wads when they are real good, not used for anything else.

then I'll eventually use Eternity to watch demos with cool camera effects or even the old port ChaseCam by Aurican.

VinceDSS said:

1st pick - doom2.exe - when wadfiles have no VPOs and nasty incompatibilities

So you like to suffer from eyestrain? ;-) Because that's what I get when looking at those blur-o-vision graphics...

VinceDSS said:

and I also need it to record Compet-N valid demos...

OK, that's a valid reason. But I still wouldn't voluntarily play in that resolution. ;-)

Graf Zahl said:

OK, that's a valid reason. But I still wouldn't voluntarily play in that resolution. ;-)

you can play zdoom in a 320x200 window and it's not so bad... if not rather small... it's like the size of a trading card on my monitor, heh (1280x1024 desktop)

Heck, I use 320 x 200 fullscreen all the time, even if I run Doom95 or a source hack. But really, there is no "eye strain" unless maybe you indeed run it on a window under very high resolution (haven't tried it myself) or perhaps if you have somewhat deficient eyesight.

hmm...

I might sound weird to you guys... I play prBoom in 320x200... just to keep being used to vanilla doom resolution :)

Linguica said:

Why would anyone who could run at 640x400 ever play at 320x200? Why? WHY?

Why would anyone who could run at 1024x768 ever play at 640x400? At least I want an image that completely fills every pixel of my monitor. Even 640x480 has clearly visible line structure and that's something I really don't need.

I play doom mostly for its wonderfull gameplay...
A fancy looking game is not one of my main cirterias for playing it.
Actually many nice looking games have crappy gameplay...
Most of the video games players are superficial nowadays... they will 1st look at it... check if it looks fancy / eye-candy with flashy special fx... It unfortunately seems to be the 1st criteria for most players now.
Though some games manage top get both but thats very rare.
Its a bit like movies actually, if it has great looking special fx and completely hollow story it'll probably be a major hit... that really sux man...
So it seems to me that, for many people, if a game is looking nice it must certainly be good... I am sorry but I do not use that shortcut.

I am not speaking about you guys (doom players) since you all play a 10 year-old game :). That even 2048 and + res. cannot make look real nice :) (low res. texture, squary, 2D sprites...).

I was just speaking about the average video game player...

VinceDSS said:

I play doom mostly for its wonderfull gameplay...
A fancy looking game is not one of my main cirterias for playing it.
Actually many nice looking games have crappy gameplay...
Most of the video games players are superficial nowadays... they will 1st look at it... check if it looks fancy / eye-candy with flashy special fx... It unfortunately seems to be the 1st criteria for most players now.
Though some games manage top get both but thats very rare.
Its a bit like movies actually, if it has great looking special fx and completely hollow story it'll probably be a major hit... that really sux man...
So it seems to me that, for many people, if a game is looking nice it must certainly be good... I am sorry but I do not use that shortcut.

I am not speaking about you guys (doom players) since you all play a 10 year-old game :). That even 2048 and + res. cannot make look real nice :) (low res. texture, squary, 2D sprites...).

I was just speaking about the average video game player...

How true. Most modern games suck. Normally I rent them, play them over the weekend for a few hours and then delete them from my HD forever.

You know why I play DOOM in 320x200 using BOOM?

Because it doesn't play any better in 1024x768 or even 10000x6000.

Sure JDoom can make it an eye-candy, and I appreciate it for it, but it doesn't improve gameplay one bit. Maybe even makes it worse because of an occasional lag.

When I play DOOM I can disregard the fact that the graphics are outdated. I don't notice that, it doesn't take anything away from the experience. I tried some ports (Legacy, ZDOOM, old DOSDOOM) at high resolutions, and it actually looked crappier, with stretched sprites and tiny status bar.

Saying that the original DOOM has bad graphics is like saying Scorched Earth or Solitaire have bad graphics. That's true, but doesn't really matter. That's how I feel about it.

/me agrees 100% => gameplay goes 1st

fancy looking stuff is unfortunately the first requirement for the current generation of gamers

True, but I always enjoy a game that runs well over its overall eye-candy. Having both never hurts, though.

Ports I use:

JDOOM - great visual potential
ZDOOM - the king of DOOM freedom
EDGE - weapons flexibility

Now if there was only a way to merge the two.....

Relica Religia said:

True, but I always enjoy a game that runs well over its overall eye-candy. Having both never hurts, though.

Ports I use:

JDOOM - great visual potential
ZDOOM - the king of DOOM freedom
EDGE - weapons flexibility

Now if there was only a way to merge the two.....

Don't you mean three? ;-)

Hey he's a ZDoom fan, can expect too much in the way of intellect.

HAHAHAHEEHEEHEEHEEhehehehehehkekekekekahhh *wipes away tear*

For those militants who's heads are about to explode and are already planning their 47 page rebutal, that was a joke.

Rellik said:

Hey he's a ZDoom fan, can expect too much in the way of intellect.

HAHAHAHEEHEEHEEHEEhehehehehehkekekekekahhh *wipes away tear*

For those militants who's heads are about to explode and are already planning their 47 page rebutal, that was a joke.

Being able to read smilies never hurts, don't you think???

I just felt the need to say that so no n00b comes stomping through flipping out trying to look cool infront of the vets.

Yes, it's much better to have the vets come stomping through flipping out trying to look cool infront of the n00bs. :p