Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Kevin

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice Poll)

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice)  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite source port?

On harddrive,
prboom mostly for megawads, its my main port and for testing. Chocolate for random single map wads off the archives, testing and multiplayer.

On a flashdrive,
Skulltag, ZDaemon, GZDoom(in software)only for ZDoom wads and Eternity. Odamex soon...hopefully.

edit> On junky old comp with no OS, I boot to DOS with a bootdisk. I have Doom2+ with hr.wad and hr2.wad.

These days, basically PrBoom and its derivatives

1997-1999: doom2.exe (on RISC OS under emulation)
1999-2003: DIY (RISC OS)
2002-2005: PrBoom v2.2.3-v2.2.6 (Linux)
2005-: rboom (based on PrBoom 2.3.x), PrBoom 2.4.x (svn), PrBoom-plus (svn)

DIY was the only source port for RISC OS; PrBoom is its natural equivalent and successor on other platforms. Also PrBoom is the engine whose internals I am most familiar with, so it's the easiest to hack on and make contributions

I currently use Eternity almost exclusively for everything that doesn't require something a zdoom derivative. I also have Chocolate Doom, MBF, and PrBoom, but I use them for regression testing only :)

Modern:
1. GZDoom
2. ZDoom
3. Doomsday
Obviously scratch GZ and Doomsday if we're talking subpar specs.

Classic:
1. Eternity
2. Chocolate Doom
3. PrBoom+
Chocolate would be tied with Eternity, except the music isn't guaranteed to work.

Multiplayer:
1. ZDaemon
2. Skulltag
Swap them and you have them in preferred rather than oft-used order.

ZDoom, GZDoom, PrBoom+

Primarily because they support widescreen properly. I don't use PrBoom+ that often - I seem to remember that it doesn't have a vsync option?

ZDoom, which I used to use pretty much all the time but less so now.

PrBoom, since it just feels more like Doom. It's a nice balance between classic Doom and new features without being too flashy and gimmicky.

I have Legacy, EDGE, and Skulltag installed but hardly ever touch them.

And I avoid GZDoom and jDoom as much as possible because I can't stand OpenGL ports.

By far mostly Doom and Doom+ (thanks to e6y). Which depending on whether I care if a wad meets the standard engine requirements, or if it actually works better in Doom+ or simply can't take the pesky Doom limits. I'm also working on a project that uses Doom+ as its main engine (otherwise any "limitless" engine should run it).

Sometimes I use PrBoom, PrBoom+ or Chocolate Doom for local online v1.9 MultiPlayer (lacking opponents or partners with archaic enough systems to run Doom), and more rarely ZDaemon (on more or less classic servers) just to hop onto servers and play a bit.

Other stuff is pretty rare, and over half of that probably consists of using PrBoom or PrBoom+ for single player, especially on maps with large blockmaps (over 64 KB), the rest can be on any engine if something catches my eye for any reason, though my gfx card leaves to be desired and is too slow when it comes to Doomsday or GZDoom (it's even a bit visually glitchy using GLBoom).

RjY said:
1997-1999: doom2.exe (on RISC OS under emulation)
1999-2003: DIY (RISC OS)
2002-2005: PrBoom v2.2.3-v2.2.6 (Linux)
2005-: rboom (based on PrBoom 2.3.x), PrBoom 2.4.x (svn), PrBoom-plus (svn)

Heh, how do you remember? Arguably you've been relatively consistent, though. I recall using Legacy and then ZDoom (v1.18 to v1.22) for 1 or 2 years from/after 1999 (when I first got relatively consistent Internet access, albeit on a 56K), and then after that I rapidly degenerated into a more classic orientation (there must have been a period where I was rather liberal, varying more what I used).

Mostly zDoom just because i love doom in hexen format.
I have still to see a wad that uses the strife support inside a doom envoirement though.
Would make a nice freelancer RPG inside the doom universe ;)
All i would need is some decent inventory system -.-

david_a said:

I don't use PrBoom+ that often - I seem to remember that it doesn't have a vsync option?

If you want to play with or without vsync, you should only set it in your adapter settings. It nonsense to have such option in each program. I would not like to set up that separately for each f* game instead of making it once and for all.

entryway said:

If you want to play with or without vsync, you should only set it in your adapter settings. It nonsense to have such option in each program. I would not like to set up that separately for each f* game instead of making it once and for all.

It's not nonsense. Sometimes you need it for testing. I also have programs that need it to be off for performance reasons so I can't force it to 'on' globally. But especially for older games I need it to be on but that's only a fraction of the programs I am running.

entryway said:

Does that work for software mode? I'm pretty sure I force vsync on in my 3D driver settings.

I use ZDoom most of the time, mostly because I like its mouse feel and some of its new features (in addition to ACS, I especially like getting the Barons and Hell Knights to bleed green blood and the ability to replace the original MIDI tunes with MP3).

Though I must comment that lately I've been playing a lot of Chocolate Doom, which might even become my next port of choice if fraggle will further improve it in the future.

Quasar said:

I currently use Eternity almost exclusively for everything that doesn't require something a zdoom derivative.

SO, you're saying you use ZDoom a lot? ;)