Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Kevin

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice Poll)

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice)  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite source port?

I could never get 2.4.8.1 to work on my linux machine out of the box. Havent tried 2.4.8.2

Thanks, I'll take a look at those.
Another concern is being able to turn off the 'fancy effects'. The UGA protocol does not provide for any sort of direct hardware access, and due to a lack of a naitive UGA driver on the platform I can do my development on, it will be using a driver that uses VESA to fake it.
So my goal is just to duplicate the original Doom experience.

Splynncryth said:

So my goal is just to duplicate the original Doom experience.

Well then, Chocolate Doom would be perfect for you. :) There any no "fancy effects" to turn off in Chocolate.

Hobbs said:

I could never get 2.4.8.1 to work on my linux machine out of the box. Havent tried 2.4.8.2

The latest non-windows release is 2.4.6.1. (tar.gz and dmg)

gzdoom for mods like zblood and doom3.
jdoom for vanilla doom[with md2's of course] ;)

When I'm not using the originals exe, I often use PrBoom because it works fine on XP, enough old-school, and it's my favorite DM/coop port (Zdaemon is quite bugged and Odamex isn't enough playable yet).
PrBoom plus for all demo stuff
ZDaemon for CTF, NS coop
and ZDoom for a few NS wads, and Heretic/Hexen too, sometimes

Up until a month ago I used Doomsday,but i couldn't play some wads just because they had scripting so i started using Zdoom and GZdoom

As of now, chocolate-doom is pretty much the only port I frequently use for actually playing Doom.

I use PrBoom for singleplayer, demo recording/watching and for some DM or coop... and I use ZDaemon/Skulltag/Odamex at the same time with Internet Doom Explorer.

I obviously use Skulltag pretty much exclusively. :-) I use it for all my multiplayer and single player needs. There aren't many things that it can't do as it's like 3 fabulous ports in 1.... (latest version of Zdoom, latest incarnation of GZDoom, and of course all the Skulltag features) In the rare case that a single player wad doesn't work in Skulltag then I'll run it in its intended port.

I can't stress enough how grateful the Skulltag Dev team is to the Zdoom and GZDoom teams for permitting us to use their obviously fantastic work.

Eternity, but I really prefer vanilla and that wads be made to work on vanilla Doom -- or to be peaceful, to work for that v1.92.

PrBoom flagged as Vanilla for SP, ZDaemon for Multiplayer (but it's been a week since I could connect to the master server, so I'm thinking to go Skulltag).

Legacy most of the time, especially for single player but willing to try any port when a wad calls for it.

For online deathmatch I use zdeamon but I am hoping there is something better out there, I guess its time I tried skulltag.

I really only favoured Legacy because it was so easy to make maps using its special features, I sort of fell in love with it way back when it introduced 3d floors.

Just tried gzdoom for the first time, played heretic with it, very nice indeed.

If you liked GZDoom then you'll like Skulltag. The default settings are done so that it simulates software mode more or less... just go into the opengl options and turn on filtering and antialiasing and suddenly it'll look quite a bit better. :)

Aabra said:
The default settings are done so that it simulates software mode more or less... just go into the opengl options and turn on filtering and antialiasing and suddenly it'll look quite a bit better. :)

On the other spectrum, do you know if there's a way to completely disable the GZDoom graphics features (basically so that it behaves like ZDoom in that respect)?

If you mean disabling the GL renderer, sure. That can be done in the menu. You have to restart though.