Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Kevin

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice Poll)

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice)  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite source port?

Also interesting to see is that Prboom+ is vastly outweighing Glboom+. I'm curious as to whether there is an actual preference for the software renderer, or if it's just a naming thing (I refer to Glboom+ as Prboom+ all the time).

I voted Eternity because I don't know why but I've been using it quite a bit lately so why not.

I don't know whether my computer sucks. If there are a lot of things, PrBoom+ lags, so sometimes I need to switch to GLBoom+.

GZDoom for general dooming, Zandronum for multiplayer dooming, PrBoom+ for old styled dooming.

Edited by Avoozl

27 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

I don't know whether my computer sucks. If there are a lot of things, PrBoom+ lags, so sometimes I need to switch to GLBoom+.

PrBoom+ uses software renderer which can be slow if your CPU isn't good enough. GLBoom+ uses hardware/GPU OpenGL renderer making it faster if you have a better GPU.

Speaking purely from a visual standpoint, I prefer PrBoom+ and ZDoom over GlBoom and GZDoom's glossy look. Anything that gives me the option to view Doom with lower-resolution graphics is just right for my Dooming needs.

What glossy look? Unless there's a new option which makes the graphics look that way there would have to be a way to disable it.

I voted ZDoom(not GZDoom) because it's the sourceport that brought me back to Doom back in 2007 so it will always have a soft spot in my heart. Also because I'm one of those who uses a personal weapons and sound mod and ZDoom supports DECORATE while the other ports do not and I honestly think the game looks great using it.

I am looking forward to the Eternity Engine though. Maybe in the near(or not so near) it would support the same things and I'll consider using that one as well.

Edited by Uni

My 2 faves had 0 votes before I came along :'( Picking just one was hard and I'm not even that confident in my choice. It's like trying to pick a favorite flavor of ice cream - there are several I enjoy equally! I picked ZDaemon strictly because of the high number of deathmatchers present on the weekends.

3 hours ago, Spie812 said:

Also interesting to see is that Prboom+ is vastly outweighing Glboom+. I'm curious as to whether there is an actual preference for the software renderer, or if it's just a naming thing (I refer to Glboom+ as Prboom+ all the time).

Mind also that on non-Windows systems, there is no separate glboom binary, you can just swap between software and opengl in the same prboom-plus executable. Having both listed in the poll is extremely silly.

Anything ZDoom or derivative - been using those ports almost exclusively since at least 2009. I've tried out a good number of other source ports, but I never grew as fond of them as ZDoom and co.

I use Crispy Doom for iwads and vanilla wads.

PRBoom+ for boom compatible ones and Zandronum for everything else.

Crispy Doom is my personal favorite since i think the resolution adds a nice aesthetic to it.

After voting the bar graph was invisible for me, I realised it's a problem with the Plain White theme (attn @Linguica)

5 hours ago, valkiriforce said:

Speaking purely from a visual standpoint, I prefer PrBoom+ and ZDoom over GlBoom and GZDoom's glossy look. Anything that gives me the option to view Doom with lower-resolution graphics is just right for my Dooming needs.

Disable Bilinear (or whatever other type of) Filtering. You'll retain the crisp 'pixelly' look of software. Within GZDoom you can also emulate the software pallette while enjoying some of the enhancements the engine offers if that's your thing.

5 hours ago, valkiriforce said:

The newer versions of GZDoom has a few features added that helps getting a more vanilla look.

With the video scaling options you can force it to use 320x200 at native monitor resolutions. The software renderer can still use palette output if desired and its texture sampling is of much higher quality (no dancing sprites, etc.). The GL renderer's "software" light mode is identical to the math used by ZDoom now. The palette tonemap mode allows you to get a palette look for mods that doesn't work with the software renderer.

Unless you have a real old system that can't support newer versions of GZDoom, there's little reason to stick to ZDoom. Even then, it is better to switch to one of drfrag's ports as they backport some of the quality improvements I did to the software renderer.

Well,i generally play on ZDoom/GZDoom cuz it runs most of the stuff i wanna play,and Prboom+ for sector soup boom maps and slaughter maps.I have tried other ports (but very rarely  multiplayer ones) but i usually play the ones listed.

I was reading Fraggle's most recent post in the "Things about Doom you just found out" thread in regards to his philosophy has a source port programmer and it reminded me how lucky we are to have multiple programmers in the community making their own source ports with different goals in mind. I am very grateful to have something as advanced, powerful and user friendly as GZDoom to give people the ease of use and limitless modding capability. At the same time, I'm also very thrilled that we have source ports that are designed to preserve all the historical energy and feel that Doom had when it came out of the box in 1993.

There are times that I'm a little concerned about the popularity of GZDoom because it has opened up so many doors for people to create mods that are so out of scope of what Doom originally played like. I share this community with plenty Doom fans, and a large helping of them are exclusive GZDoom users. The depth of their knowledge about Doom goes about as far as whatever the most popular gameplay/weapons/randomizer mods are and the annual cacoward winners. Unfortunately, because of that, we don't seem to have a lot in common. I think I'd have an empty void in my heart if Doom only existed anymore in the form of ZDoom derivatives. Doom modding would snowball out of control, raising bars, setting standards, modding mods, and eventually everything that made Doom what it is will be replaced with something more popular and we won't be able to have a clear look on our community's own history from its inception.

Thankfully, despite how limiting, finicky and bug-laden the original Doom game is to mod, we still have the option to go back and play old Doom wads in the same way they were made to be played, and view the roots of Doom in its essence to explore what made Doom so great to begin with. To be allowed the freedom to bounce back and forth between the two polarized perspectives; One that looks towards Doom's future and all the walls that are yet to knock down, and another that enables us to look back and see how things have come along since the beginning, is an extremely valuable thing.

I selected prboom because I use that port all the time and I subjectively lean closer to the idea that Doom is very good as it is and only needs very minor enhancements in the form of new maps to keep the game fun and fresh, but with that said, I'd never wish for any of us live in a world where only prboom was allowed to exist.

21 minutes ago, 40oz said:

There are times that I'm a little concerned about the popularity of GZDoom because it has opened up so many doors for people to create mods that are so out of scope of what Doom originally played like.

Rest assured that people won't make so many maps for GZDoom.

I was glad to see that most maps nowadays are made for vanilla Doom. Honestly the reason for why so few maps are made for GZDoom is it's dependency on OpenGL renderer and big hardware requirements.

People make maps for Boom-compatible source ports to make sure it will reach a larger audience. Making maps for GZDoom would require using GZDoom features and forcing people to use GZDoom, which doesn't look good.

Lowering the requirements will ease the usage of GZDoom.

I enjoy mapping for GZDoom, the freedom UDMF Format gives, easy texture scaling, offsetting and Rotating independently on each surface,  the ability to use flats instead of wall textures and vise versa, the 3D Floors, I Just find it easier to mod.

GZDoom as it's the gift that keeps on giving, especially for accessible moddability. As long as Graf doesn't go turbo at least, in that instance I'd hope someone more qualified picks up where he leaves off.

9 hours ago, Avoozl said:

What glossy look? Unless there's a new option which makes the graphics look that way there would have to be a way to disable it.

They're probably talking about texture filtering which I believe is turned off by default.

@Dragonfly @dpJudas Thanks, I figured there were probably options hidden somewhere for that.

9 hours ago, Doomkid said:

My 2 faves had 0 votes before I came along :'( Picking just one was hard and I'm not even that confident in my choice. It's like trying to pick a favorite flavor of ice cream - there are several I enjoy equally! I picked ZDaemon strictly because of the high number of deathmatchers present on the weekends.

I almost wanted to make it multiple choice, but I wanted a more focused result in the polls. After all, it's just a poll and nothing stops us from enjoying the ports we enjoy. Out of the three multiplayer ports ZDaemon is one of my favorites as well.

Doom Retro is very promising, running everything short of ZDoom while still being faithful to what we know and love? I need to play with it more.