Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jon

Lost Village (DM Map)

Recommended Posts

Nice textures, can't comment about the DM-appropriateness but I'm sure you'll get some feedback from the DW DM crew :) Are you gonna release a texture pack when you finish the map? 

Share this post


Link to post

That hole in the floor tiles is problematic, it will produce uncomfortable screen shaking for anyone running over it, which is a very unpopular side-effect in DM. Since you can't use Boom selfref sector magic, I suggest you put a tile (or a bunch of chopped up tiles) in the center of the hole so that players run smoothly over the visual effect.

Share this post


Link to post

Eh?  I'm not a DM player, but I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to use an old-school vanilla self-referential crystal sector there to keep it smooth.

Share this post


Link to post

I’m actually making the hole much bigger, so most of that floor region will be at the lower height, but I’ll bear that in mind for after I’ve made the change. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, Big Ol Billy said:

Are you gonna release a texture pack when you finish the map? 

 

I'm not sure; the WAD will be licensed liberally so people could rip them if they wanted to. There might not be enough for a stand alone texture pack.


Experimenting with different skies now. Swapped some floor tile textures to reduce the visual noise in the outdoor areas and expanded the dirt (for the same reason).

 

 

doom12.png

doom13.png

Share this post


Link to post

Screenshots makes it look like the map is rather flat and boring, aside from the potentially bumpy floor (blah). I'd love to give proper feedback but given there is no download, I can't. Why is there no download? We can't help you make a better map without actually at the very least strolling through it.

Share this post


Link to post

I dig the style, looking forward to a beta to get some playtesting in!

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Decay said:

Screenshots makes it look like the map is rather flat and boring, aside from the potentially bumpy floor (blah). I'd love to give proper feedback but given there is no download, I can't. Why is there no download? We can't help you make a better map without actually at the very least strolling through it.

 

Thanks for your feedback. There's no download, yet, because I don't feel it's quite at that stage, yet, although maybe I should re-evaluate that. Despite that I've already got helpful feedback from this thread.  I was thinking a private alpha before a public beta, and was starting to think about who I could approach for the former.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Jon said:

 

Thanks for your feedback. There's no download, yet, because I don't feel it's quite at that stage, yet, although maybe I should re-evaluate that. Despite that I've already got helpful feedback from this thread.  I was thinking a private alpha before a public beta, and was starting to think about who I could approach for the former.


You are going to want to have people test the layout(s) before finishing detail because any major changes that need to be made to a layout will nullify the work that was put into detailing of an area that now has to be undone. Also it's better to do that early and give some insight into how to develop the map - early layout changes and design decisions are much easier to make now rather than later.

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, Argent Agent said:


You are going to want to have people test the layout(s) before finishing detail because any major changes that need to be made to a layout will nullify the work that was put into detailing of an area that now has to be undone. Also it's better to do that early and give some insight into how to develop the map - early layout changes and design decisions are much easier to make now rather than later.

 

you're right in general, but the layout of this map was set down nearly two decades ago, and I'm not going to mess with that too much anymore. So any flaws in the layout are largely going to be there forever now. Luckily I don't think the layout is too bad (and I did playtest the map in around 2000 in real DMs too), my main gameplay concern is item placement.

Share this post


Link to post

Textures look nice, maybe it'd be nice if there were more variants of the concrete because it seems the primary texture (one without stains, one with stripes or a logo, one with more ribs like a dump truck hopper https://www.imanpro.net/pub/co/tcm/photo/1012/4.jpg)

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/10/2018 at 3:55 PM, Vorpal said:

Textures look nice, maybe it'd be nice if there were more variants of the concrete

 

Good catch. The primary texture in the WAD is one I created whilst following a tutorial on creating textures back in 1999-2000. I took a photo (on a film camera) of things out and about, including concrete slabs in my parent's back yard, then scanned it in on a flatbed scanner. The slabs were mossy. Anyway the distinctive moss pattern looks jarring when you see it repeated over and over. So I need to make a lot of variants of that. As a first step, I've deleted the moss altogether. The map looks much plainer now though. So I'm looking forward to getting the mossy variants back in.

 

Also another placeholder sky. I wondered if a yellow-coloured sky would fair better in Doom's palette, and if that would nicely contrast with the green/grey. so I quickly mocked one up (it's actually "17 Ghosts II", Nine Inch Nails fans) for this shot. It's a rough mock-up, you can clearly see I've mirrored it to get it to tile...

 

doom00.png.e7c5f31d93bc7817023090b1b4a206c1.png

Share this post


Link to post

OK; the time has probably come (probably overdue) for a public alpha/beta of this map, so here it is

 

https://jmtd.net/tmp/brkdown.zip

 

TODO list is still pretty long: find a suitable sky; more variation in main texture; fix a couple of sky clips; fix light levels worldwide; replace placeholder TEKLAMPS with more sector based lights; more I've probably forgotten

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

OK this is basically done except for the sky. I've got a NASA pic of the sky from Mars, originally sourced by Enjay but converted to vanilla palette and dimensions that I'm playing with, but I think it needs major work, possibly retracing entirely. I might go back to that blue one which was pretty good.

 

DOOM0000.png

 

I've kept that ZIP in the prior post updated.

Share this post


Link to post

I never saw the post that linked this back in May, I'll be sure to get a couple rounds in soon and let you know how it goes

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

That's a cool looking level, kind of darken2ish.

The texture of the blue sky is better, if it were just gray I think.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×