Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TerminusEst13

[GZDoom] Doom: But It's Completely Fucking Unplayable

So I just went and made the mistake of combining this with DooD, RooL, wobbly shaders, Megabounce, and Tilt++ and the result was one of the most bizarre experiences of my life.

Screenshots for you.

Spoiler

sJ5RmJY.png

vCHhaoR.png

ENTWEsG.png

I did actually manage to beat this level, but I'm not attempting the next. I think Tilt++ conflicts with this and cancels the view rotation unless you're standing still, but it was still ridiculous.

5 hours ago, KVELLER said:

If you can make that font spin and have insanely erratic movements, then yeah, it's a fitting name.

I made it to the slime room en E1M1. Not gonna fire it up again, ever. Now, if you excuse me, I'm going to vomit.

Heh, that is a lot worse than I imagined. I was able to watch Eris's video for about three seconds before noping out. 

56 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

So I just went and made the mistake of combining this with DooD, RooL, wobbly shaders, Megabounce, and Tilt++ and the result was one of the most bizarre experiences of my life.

Screenshots for you.

Hide contents

sJ5RmJY.png

vCHhaoR.png

ENTWEsG.png

I did actually manage to beat this level, but I'm not attempting the next. I think Tilt++ conflicts with this and cancels the view rotation unless you're standing still, but it was still ridiculous.

WooD you look at that?

As it happens, I hadn't considered adding DooW to that mess until after I'd done that, but I don't think I'll be attempting that one.

I can, though, if anyone wants to see how ridiculous it'll inevitably look.

7 hours ago, Scypek2 said:

The lens of the human eye turns the image upside down before it reaches the receptors. According to kids' anatomy textbooks, "the brain flips the image right side up again", but it probably doesn't and we're none the wiser. So really, this is probably how the world really looks like. Or at least, how birds see it with their more straightforward eye anatomy.

Nope, it really is the brain!  There was an experiment done where they gave a bunch of people glasses that flipped their vision upside-down and made them wear them for a week; after the first few days, their brain compensated and everything looked normal and right-side up to them again.  Then, when they stopped wearing the glasses, everything looked upside-down again, and it took them another few days to get it all straightened out.

1 hour ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

I think Tilt++ conflicts with this and cancels the view rotation unless you're standing still, but it was still ridiculous.

It will have conflicts no matter what because both mods modifies the FOV. And only one of them is needed to work.

1 minute ago, Cynical said:

Nope, it really is the brain!  There was an experiment done where they gave a bunch of people glasses that flipped their vision upside-down and made them wear them for a week; after the first few days, their brain compensated and everything looked normal and right-side up to them again.  Then, when they stopped wearing the glasses, everything looked upside-down again, and it took them another few days to get it all straightened out.

Imagine the awkwardness of normal life after the experiment. 

*someone walks in to find you watching TV laying upside down on the couch, feet in the air*

"It's complicated."

I imagine the people in question probably looked like they were absolutely wasted trying to navigate the strange world of "proper orientation" after spending a week in Upside-Down World.

47 minutes ago, Ermi said:

this will definitely win a cacoward

I can see it already lol.

14 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

It will have conflicts no matter what because both mods modifies the FOV. And only one of them is needed to work.

I don't know why that never occurred to me, but that makes sense.

12 hours ago, TerminusEst13 said:

Updates Doom into the way it was meant to be played, as canonically confirmed by the official developers.

Checkmate, Doomworld.

Also, I'd like to test this out with inverted controls....how it SHOULD be played...

2 hours ago, SuperCupcakeTactics said:

Well, I managed to beat MAP01 Entryway with it and ended it theeere. E1M1 is probably tougher since there are more open areas in it.

I managed to beat E1M1 and continuing with it...

E1M1's biggest problem are the sergeants. E1M2 is probably easier because they're absent from the main route.

14 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

^^
Then MAP02 will be almost impossible to do it

Even if by some miracle you can get the red key, have fun getting blue :P

7 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Imagine MAP03 with its chaingunners.

*shudder*

And that would still pale in comparison to half the later maps that are so open you'll get shot from across the map. And let's not even get started on MAP30.

Yeah, there's a reason the challenge is for E1 of Doom.

With EXTREME luck of the draw you could theoretically do MAP30 if you act very quickly, aim very precisely, and the Icon of Sin only spawns imps.

But adding Chaingunners into the equation makes it genuinely impossible.

I'll be posting up a vid in a couple days, but I couldn't even get into the first door of MAP02. Jeebus.

Actually, though, I'm interested in knowing how mods like this work. I was kind of messing around with it a little off-cam and found it kinda fascinating. So thanks, I guess :P

17 hours ago, rdwpa said:

WooⱭ is a fitting name as well.

!ᗰ૦૦ᗭ

Ok. I'm practicing the episode 1 of Doom 1 on HMP and....I think I have the way to do it. I'm on E1M3 now...