1. 1. Which DOOM is your first?

• DOOM (Ultimate Doom)
    • DOOM II : Hell On Earth
    • Final DOOM (TNT/Plutonia)
    • DOOM 3
    • DOOM (2016)
    • DOOM VFR
    • DOOM 64

Doom II: Hell on Earth (PC).  My dad's coworker came over with a fuckton of PC game demos one day in 1995, and left a set of install floppies.  The rest is history.

It was the SNES version of the original Doom. It might easily have been my first and last experience of the game, as I was thoroughly disillusioned with its crudity, and the way one had to play through an entire episode in one session without the facility to save.

Luckily PSX Doom, then PSX Final Doom came along the following year, which elevated the experience to a whole new level (still no proper save mechanism though).

Never actually got into the PC version, plus mods 'n' wads until 2016, though I've been making up for it ever since.....

I played the shareware version of Doom 1 when it was originally released. Yes I'm that old. 

Mum bought Dad a game for Christmas one year and he was a big fan of Dune and she got confused. Dad does not like 1st person shooters. Turns out I do ;)

Doom on SNES, a memorable port to me. I stopped of playing many games just for playing Doom and Wolf 3D for long hours back in 2008. It changed my whole life. 

Old story short Doom II, most likely not through the Doom95 port, on a Win98 machine. Then much later on proceeded with UD, Final Doom, Doom 3, and Doom 64.

My first Doom game I finished was the Ultimate Doom. I played it some years ago on my pc and it is the reason I love Doom today.

But the first Dooms I opened were Doom 3 (was too scary for me at the time) and Plutonia. If you could guess, a beginner didn't do very well at the latter. So I guess I went straight to Doom 1 afterwards, then Doom 2 and TNT. Currently I am half the way in Doom 3 and at MAP15 of Plutonia. After I finish those, I might try Doom 64.

Shareware, 99% sure it was v1.666, probably some time in early 1995 when I was just a youngn

When I got my very first PC, Doom 2 was the first game that I played as far as I can remember. Got in love with it immediately...! ❤️

Got into Ultimate Doom and Final Doom years later.

Shareware Doom! I said this in other places too, where I had played it so much that I could remember all that PC speaker noises of the demo from heart. I didn't run it from Doom95 in my computer (but I do know the frontend exists as my babysitter's son has it on his computer), so I ran it straight from CD.

My first Doom was Doom 64 which I borrowed from my childhood friend to play on my brothers Nintendo 64 back in 1997 when I was 10.

For me it is Doom II. What is funny, I was like 5 years old when I tried it at my friend's place and I loved it so much I wanted have a copy for myself. So I thought I can just copy the shortcut from desktop to may floppy disk and be good to go. Well I was disappointed it did not work out 😞

Woob, time to get bashed to death: Doom 3, because I was looking for something to do over the weekend, and I needed a game that wasn't a time sink nor a game that just goes on forever. I played Doom 3, liked it, and went to see what's all the fuss about.

The thing is, since I am more of an "Half-Life" type of guy, I wasn't amazed by Doom 1 or Doom 2. That doesn't mean I didn't finish them, but I never really truly fell in love with it, only got a bit of a crush with the map editor. Latest of the Doom games I played was Doom 2016, and whilst I do not know why people think it sucks, I found it to be great, even if it was a demo for the Playstation 4 (a console family I never touched until that point, last year), finished it on Ultra Violence, and loved it just as every other game in the franchise.

If anything, I guess I am one of those *sigh* Doomers who find every game of the franchise to be absolutely great, even the N64 one (which I didn't finish but I kinda liked the mood).

5 hours ago, Krysiu said:

For me it is Doom II. What is funny, I was like 5 years old when I tried it at my friend's place and I loved it so much I wanted have a copy for myself. So I thought I can just copy the shortcut from desktop to may floppy disk and be good to go. Well I was disappointed it did not work out 😞

This reminds me of something...

When I was like 5 years old or something, I had a hacked PS1 (think it is called chipped), but I was too young to know what that was and besides, my parents had bought me that (I didn't even know what games and consoles were before that), so I guess I was happy with a console and getting new CDs once in a while. When we would go to the videoclub, the person there would burn the game on the CD and then he would write the name of the game on it with a marker.

So, I asked my parents for a CD marker and a blank CD.

Then I tried writing a game's name on the CD and I somehow hoped that the CD would be playable with the correct game on it. Needless to say, I ended up being really disappointed when that didn't work. I feel really stupid when I try to comprehend what was I thinking back then...  😄

21 hours ago, Bauul said:

None of the above I'm afraid.  I first played the Shareware release of the original Doom, two years before The Ultimate Doom came out.  My order went:

Shareware Doom

Doom 2

Ultimate Doom

Final Doom

Doom 3

Doom 2016

I played them in exactly that order as well, with the exception of D16 which I haven't played yet.

I first played SNES Doom during my childhood. I remember that at the time I didn't know we could choose the episode and difficulty so I always played from the start in HMP, so it took me some time to reach the end of the game but I was pretty proud of me when I finaly defeated the Spiderdemon.

Then I played PSX Doom and Final Doom a lot, loved the new sounds, musics and the dark mood.

At some point I figured out that all of the original maps weren't included in the console versions (especially in Final Doom), so when I got a computer I installed Doom to play the remaining levels, and then I discovered there was quantity of fan made new levels.

I'm really impressed by all the good stuffs we can find around here, I think I'll never get tired playing this game

I am confused as to why Plutonia and TNT don't have separate vote options.

On 5/11/2018 at 6:23 AM, Gerardo194 said:

Doom on SNES, a memorable port to me.

In good or bad way? ;)

Anyway as for most people doom shareware for me as well

7 hours ago, Marlamir said:

In good or bad way? 😉

Anyway as for most people doom shareware for me as well

In good way, hehe.

But actually when I got Ultimate Doom for PC, snes Doom rested in peace. I play it seldomly but has a special place in my heart.

Shareware Doom on my Amiga a couple of days after the the first source port appeared (ADoom).  I was so pleased to FINALLY get to play this much lauded masterpiece.  Up until that point I had heard so much about it but had no access to an IBM compatible computer.  Still, Alien Breed 3D was a great substitute. 🙂

I'll quote my 2002 self:

I first came upon shareware Doom in an odd way, some time in early 1994. Someone in the office wanted some hard disk space cleared on a computer they had inherited, and asked me (as the office's so-called computer expert - thank God I don't work in an office any more) to assist. I backed things up before removing them - one of these was something odd called Doom. I asked a friend about it, and he told me it was a very good game that started off with you holding a gun and then got increasingly violent. "A bit like Wolfenstein, then?" "Yes, I think it's by the same company". I found it very hard to begin with, but liked it. However, it wasn't until Doom 2 that I got seriously into Doom.

I grew up with Doom 64, Then, later on, I played PSX Doom. It wasn't until a couple years after I played those, I got the pc port of Doom 1, 2 and final doom.

SNES DOOM as my first experience with it, then when my Dad got a computer capable of running them, DOOM II.